Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

$700 is really strong. I wouldn't wait too much longer but I also don't use Kayak to determine when I should buy tickets. Maybe others can chime in if it's reliable, but I just don't think past performance is a good qualifier for future pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just did a quick look, if you can still grab the 858 I think that's a very solid price.

I tried the game of getting a flight to JFK/EWR/BOS and booking that city to dub, and it all washes out and/or adds a lot of travel time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you a US citizen?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Prices go down on Tuesday/Wednesday -

Airlines adjust prices on Monday
Monday night through Tuesday other airlines have webcrawlers that find competitor prices
Tuesday/Wednesday the competitors lower their prices to try and snag customers from the other guys
Thursday/Friday the prices go back up, also the cheap seats are now sold out

Airlines adjust prices many times a day depending on demand and a bunch of other factors. Revenue management is a hell of a lot more complex than this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've got plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary but whatever

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

What's the security like for TSA Precheck? Do you still have to do those full body scanners, or is it traditional walkthrough X-ray? I'm thinking about applying to the Global Entry program, but I'm not sure if it's worth it if there's still a full body scan, as I always opt for the manual screening.

E: While the fast Customs clearance is a certainly appeal, I'm applying mainly for the domestic TSA Precheck benefits.

This is completely out of the scope of this thread and for any further questions the posters in the frequent biz travel thread can help.

But it is this with the standard walk through security.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not take Turkish or Austrian to VAR?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

calandryll posted:

VAR is further north. My ultimate destination is Sinemorets for a friend's wedding. I might look into things like Whizz Air to fly into Burgas, one of the flights she suggested.

In terms of time I would take a 90 min drive vs an extra connection or an inter Russian flight, but that's just me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You'll be fine.

In other news AA massively devalued the mileage program overnight without warning. They also completely eliminated the oneworld explorer award. Pretty happy I transferred my spending to a much more flexible card.

Where's that dude who came in for one post about his credit card spend buying all of the tickets he needed. Poor guy might actually have to shell out for tickets now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also if anyone was thinking of doing it my buddy just managed to book a OneWorld Explorer award so I have no idea what's going on over there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

What's this? Sounds interesting.

I've talked about it as nauseum in previous pages of many threads, I think including this one. Officially AA discontinued them but if you want to try to get one here is a brief summary of the very complicated rules, knock yourself out

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Not really having a finger in the wind for this sort of thing: Is this just going to be an drat expensive summer for flying

Basically yeah. The days of 199 transcons are all but over. Fuels more expensive and airlines are focusing on trying to not lose a ton of money. With the economy "improving" they're bumping up the prices.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Indeed, that is the cardinal rule with AA given the pisspoor nature of their ops and customer service these days: HUACA. Hang up and call again.

Might as well fix it for others

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Europe in summer is 'spensive.

If you're staying that long, why limit yourself to mid/southern Spanish airports? Why not train in if you can find a deal?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Any suggestions on cities/countries where should I be looking? Madrid was the city I thought might offer a better price while still being a reasonable train ride away, and even that adds 3 or so hours and $150 to the trip.

Simply put: No. I only suggest it as maybe a way to explore another area on the same trip as a way to justify how expensive the ticket is.

If there was a "cheapest place into Europe" everyone would do that because Europe in the summer is very expensive.

You gotta put in the leg work to uncover a deal (if any exists) and jump on it, because others are doing it well and they won't last long.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you want cheap airfare you don't book 335 days out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kind Milkman posted:

Paid through Paypal because my bank is awful about high dollar amount transactions. I have to cancel the trip because of some extenuating circumstances. Do I stand any chance at getting my money back?

Given how vague you were here I don't think you have a chance in hell with Spirit but call them. No one knows the details except you. But everyone has an excuse.

More importantly, you should head over to BFC and read up. I've never heard of a bank not being ok with purchasing a domestic economy fare ticket. It's your money. You shouldn't have to use PayPal as it removes your protections as a consumer and is generally a terrible idea. The fine posters there can help you find a new bank or get a credit card you can use and avoid this situation in the future. Just sayin.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I used a lounge last time through dxb. It was in the morning and it was a contract lounge. Food and drink spread were fine and it was relatively quiet.

Not sure if it would be worth my own money to pay for it but I've got good headphones and at that time there was room to sit. I would also eat before the airport, that food will be miles ahead of pay lounge options.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In my experience unless it's an opposite direction snowbird route, you're going to get absolutely dicked on a one way car rental. They have to account on them getting the car back to the origin somehow, via truck or driver.

Renting in OAK and returning to SJC is regularly double the rate even with codes. Maybe they'll help but mine never do, and that's a drive that isn't nearly as far as yours.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not. Give the last few pages a read re: update times to GDS.

What airline? Try calling them directly to book.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry, where are you starting your trip from?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Weird, I can get them to the point where they want to take my cash on Qantas.com.au for those flights no problem. I don't see what's hard to figure out aside from your schedule and when you want to travel. You're going to pay through the nose for this because it's really 2 one ways -- returning via Tokyo/Osaka isnt the most direct path to your origin, there's no routed flights that go via NRT and you're stopping over for a week. Not a ton of magic there, there's just no free lunch for trying to choose your way to a city and choosing to layover for a week rather than connect in a traditional round trip manner.

Also, PE with points is traditionally a terrible value -- business is usually not much more for far greater service.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, and there's a chance it'll be 60 more tomorrow.

An international flight of that distance to a vacation destination for under 300 is very good. Just make the jump.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Everyone complains about airlines. It will likely be fine and if you have problems chalk it up to bad luck not a bad decision.

I've been burned more than I would like to admit changing flights or routes trying to avoid what I would think are potential problems.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sleep in the airport and make a funny video while the airport is quiet?

If you've called united and they can't get you out of the overnight connection and you've got no status then you're likely out of luck. If you haven't called you should call.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How do you leave from either DC or NYC? It's not like they are a car ride apart really. Just curious. Was philly an option that was left out?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It has gotten a lot better recently unless you're departing terminal 2. Or in the morning of terminal 1.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

830 for that flight is pretty good.

I would book that price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What did you book through?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

United via Kayak.

I only say this as it seems like you don't travel too much. Take all contact numbers for kayak with you on your trip. Not that there will be problems but if you have any you'll likely have to make any changes with kayak and not united.

Again not to scare you as direct flights are likely to have less problems but good to have a way to contact the people who booked the ticket.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://www.airtran.com/policies/general_information.aspx?nav_id=19#Cancellation%20Policy

Basically it costs you 150 per person to have the remainder put into a credit file from 1 year of original booking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No.

One business seat will generate more money than those tickets. Yet less first class tickets.

Qantas group rates start at 10 people. Same with delta and most other airlines.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Click them when they're available and pay the money or fly enough to have status to let you click them

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you haven't booked yet it looks like StarPeru is 235?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why are you booking so late during the holidays? With such little flexibility it sounds like you are looking for a miracle.

For anyone wondering where to go during the holidays I found airfare to cabo is currently pretty cheap. Hopefully the resort I booked didn't suffer too much damage!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I rely on my menagerie of corporate rate codes to help out in cases like that. Being a former employee of IBM and still having business cards helps tremendously.

This is one of the last great tricks left. I can occasionally get insane rates this way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You don't need to go to Japan for great sushi.

That being said why not fly direct out of ATL? You have enough miles, depending on availability, for one round trip ticket.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You've given a very narrow window of possible flights to choose from. And how do you even see a boat working into this timeline?

There are no deals for booking 2 people.

I would start looking and if you feel it is cheap grab it.

Nothing you can do now but usually for vacation I try to pick a general time and let specific dates within that time to be determined by any airfare deals. Hotel deals are easier and seem to last longer.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 1, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Alright, let's go through the checklist:

Time to book: short (less than 45 days)
Time of year: holiday (very popular)
Window of travel: very specific
Destination: specific, with expensive taxes (GB, UB)

Yeah... I don't think you can expect much of a deal.

That being said Aeroflot will get you there with a stop in SVO Feb 8-20 for 5000 Yuan. China Eastern will get you there direct Feb 8-20 for 6125 Yuan. Aeroflot will go as low as 4300 return for that flight at a different date, so apparently you're not getting a terrible deal

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

On your dime if the airline won't accommodate?

I'm not clear on the rebooking reason, did they cancel or change 805's schedule?