Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I am going to book RT lax - lhr on ANZ and give the sky couch thing a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I really like them. The trade off between premium and sky couch seems to be negligible. I'm just interested in trying it for the experience or whatever.

Whats the going upgrade bid for prem to biz?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have 0 issues with lax. Precheck is good and fast. New TBIT is nice. Airside connecter to it is good. Airside 4-5-6 connector is good. Eagles nest gates being out of 6 is more efficient. Uber access is good to and from. No weather delays and a ton of airline and route options.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So airfare is pretty expensive in the summertime.
I'd looked at visiting Moscow in January and tickets were about $400.
Now they're closer to $1000

Where should I go where it wouldn't be hot and wouldn't cost more than $700 bucks.

Toronto would be cheap and I've never been.

I live in NYC.

Yeah, that's how it works. I just spent 1700 to get to London. To be fair I booked 2 weeks before and premium economy was somehow cheaper than economy. And I'll tell you what, the weather the last week made it worth it. (ok easier to say when I am not paying)

What do you want to do? I'm fine being hot if there's a beach or pool nearby, making Mexico or the Caribbean an option?

Iceland air has to be less than 700 to there...

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 10, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

Trying to go around on a budget, but it still looks like planes are still cheaper and/or safer than trains or automobiles.

Eurostar between London and Paris is great, what do you mean by this? Anything specific you're referring to?

Just to to easy jet and see what's cheapest. I just went to Bologna,Italy and had a hell of a time for 2 days.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Wouldn't call trains cheaper than planes per se, especially in western Europe, and *especially* in the UK.

Look into buses as well if you want a true budget option. Megabus, Flixbus, Ouibus etc are pretty decent if you're not too tall (190+).

Eh, by the time you take the gatwick or heathrow express its really quite comparable. At least eurostar.

But any train over 2.5-3hrs I'd rather just fly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

So my whole life I've heard of and seen references to people who show up at airports to pick up some kind of last-minute fill-the-seat kind of deal. The sort of thing where you just hop on whatever flight is cheap. Is this a thing anywhere?

what references are these because this is not a thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you see a fare entirely on American go to aa.com, log into aa frequent flyer. Go through booking process and choose hold as payment type. You get 24 hours to book it at that price.

Rinse and repeat each day until you know you want to book or the price goes up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BlueBlazer posted:

feel I could possibly do better if I know the airlines incantations. I'm super flexible with times, and frankly quite like flying. Layovers are never a problem, and as long as I plan my flight well I never feel like wasted time.

I'm sure there was a reason that I'm not privy to.

Good luck with that. The whole point is that you don't know and there are no hard and fast rules.

Flying that often you'll see why layovers can be a problem when you waste 60% of your weekend after a connecting flight goes down for maintenance and then the rebooked flight is delayed a day because the inbound plane is stuck in a hail storm 3 hours away.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Grem posted:

Ok so I'm flying in to Fort Lauderdale from Denver in January. I know not to ever ever fly Spirit, it's even mentioned on this page! It's $500 cheaper....talk me out of it.

I picked randomly and United was 333.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HookShot posted:

You've obviously never been to LAX.

Lax is great. Tom Bradley terminal has good food. They have security side access from T4. T6 is also connected via t4 all without leaving security. Aside from southwest and early mornings security, especially pre check, is awesome. Also almost never weather delays. And uberx pickups and drop offs are easy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As I mentioned T4 and T6 are great now.

Free wifi, border grill is passable, they have vegetarian options as well, short queues for security after 9a (and always with pre check), I think T6 is getting Lemonade or something? And the walkways connecting terminals means you don't have to clear security between 4 and 6.

Yeah I dunno man. I guess the shuttle to the eagles nest is a pain but both ORD and JFK (where I was this week) feel like it's further walk to the gates. And jfk had their escalators down which would have been a pain for anyone with small children.

Virgins terminal at lax is pretty lovely but they are doing work on it. Haven't flown United or delta in a decade. But lax is home base for me and it performs very well and is much better than 4-5 years ago.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 21, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A better deal than 167 round trip Chicago to Atlanta 2 weeks in front of Labor Day. Good grief.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Lol. Can you even drive Chicago -> Atlanta -> Chicago for $167? If you can I'm willing to bet it's pretty close if you're driving an average car and not depriving yourself of food.

It's about break even for a car that gets 25mpg and if gas is 2.50 (I live in CA so I pay closer to 3). Should also include half an oil change. And doesn't include the time you'd spend doing it (11 hrs each way).

Sometimes I wonder if people are just flat missing the barometer for "I just can't afford to do this right now".

Now I want to see the fare breakdown to see how much of that are the various taxes and fees.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fare for 1 adult 9/1-9/5
Fare 1: Carrier AA Q0ALZNN3 CHI to ATL (rules) Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code Q Covers ORD-ATL (Economy) $50.23
Fare 2: Carrier AA Q0ALZNN3 ATL to CHI (rules) Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code Q Covers ATL-ORD (Economy) -$50.23
US Transportation Tax (US) - $7.54
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) -$11.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) - $9.00
US Flight Segment Tax (ZP) - $8.00
Subtotal per passenger $136.20

So yeah. The actual fare for the flight is less than my Uber from the LES to Barclays center.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drunkelberger posted:

Hello friends:) Myself and a group of 10 friends went to Puerto Rico this year and we are planning on going again next year. The trip dates are Feb 11, 2017 through Feb 18, 2017( fly in and fly out on Saturday). We are pretty flexible regarding our departure airport, we all live in Columbus, OH ( CMH ) but are willing to fly out of Canton/Akron or Cleveland if the prices are better. So far the cheapest flights I have found on my own are $324 round trip out of Akron, but the flight times and layover times are less than desirable.

Somewhat related to this is when we bought our tickets for the trip that we did this year, we did it individually online through the airlines website. Everytime someone would buy a ticket the price would jump $20-30( cant remember exactly). Is the only way to avoid the ticket price increasing to pool our money and buy them in one transaction?

There's no guarantee that there would be as many tickets in that class as needed. So it would average the ticket price across all 10.

If you're at 11, you could likely qualify for a group fare. You'd have to call the airline to confirm.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

It's been my experience that group fares are almost never cheaper than what you could buy them for directly on the airline's website. As far as fare availability, this far out you shouldn't have too much trouble. But if you truly are running into an issue with availablity in certain buckets, most airline websites will sell you the cheapest fare that has X number of seats available which may not be the cheapest if the lowest available fare bucket doesn't have that many seats. Given that, it's usually better to buy individually or in groups of two or three depending on how it prices out.

When fares spread out across multiple buckets I've found the group fares to be worth a phone call but ymmv

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why wouldn't you just call?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For a one way flight with that many specifics that feels pretty good to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And yet they'll fill the planes if people can save a nickel.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If this thread could explain how to book that on the ita matrix people would ask.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Given that's spring break and a few weeks away, yeah probably?

Did you airbnb your place for sxsw or something?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HookShot posted:

In business I straight up put the seat down flat pretty much as soon as we've taken off (and change into the PJs I brought on board) and enjoy watching TV and napping.

Full flat is really uncomfortable for watching tv and it's a pain if you're taking advantage of the bar service at the beginning of the flight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HookShot posted:

I don't drink (and I don't eat on planes) and I watch the TV on my ipad which I put next to me. It would suck to watch the built-in TV system for sure.

You legit should have a cranberry and tonic or something. It's quite nice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You might be able to enjoy your nice seat more if you didn't come off as so loving insufferable. Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’ll offer up that you’ll be fine, especially with the airside connection to TBIT. They also know you’re connecting. I would have no concerns flying out of SJC. If it was SFO then yeah. But looking at flight history, it rarely runs late and early April should have good weather at LAX.

HookShot posted:

. LAX is the worst loving airport known to man, it's worse than CDG.

Depends on the terminals, I can’t speak to 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 but Eagles nest sucks but TBIT / 4 / 5 are fine now.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 6, 2018