Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This is slightly off-topic, but I know that seasonally there are direct flights between certain airports but I don't know when exactly they are in service. Is there some straight forward way to find out when?

I can use something like google flight search and repeatedly change the dates to see when a direct flight appears/disappears but that's obviously a pain in the rear end.

I've tried looking for information on the airline website and airport websites but I can't find anything.

<3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Thank you for the tip but I cannot figure out how to use this site. If I go to an airline's profile there is an option to see routes but that requires an account which from the account creation page does not seem to be a trivial thing to get. What am I missing?

At least in this instance, I'm interested in Iberia flights between VLC and GRX if that helps.

edit: Actually, the wikipedia page for GRX says flights to VLC begin March 29th 2020. It doesn't list a citation for that tidbit but it seems to answer my question. Wish those flights began a bit sooner but oh well.

other people fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 9, 2020

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Saladman posted:

I find FlightsFrom works very easily:

https://www.flightsfrom.com/GRX

Although oddly it doesn't list that Valencia flight even though I see it on Iberia's website. Normally you will see something like this, for Zurich's seasonal Cork flight, where it tells you "the next scheduled flight is 2020-03-29"

https://www.flightsfrom.com/ZRH#/ORK

Ah, this is much easier. Thank you.

It does list some flights for VLC that do not run until later in the year, but not the CDX one. Oh well.

Another flight conundrum: Getting from VLC to Brno (BRQ).

Ryanair flys from VLC to STN and then from STN to BRQ. However, no flight search tool ever offers this as an option. I think this is because the layover is only 65 minutes?

Is there some reason it would be stupid for me to buy the two tickets separately?

Also, going through STN is not an option for the return. Really the only option then is to take a train or bus to Vienna and then fly through Madrid back to VLC (or take the AVE). What a pain in the rear end to get such a short distance.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Okay so instead of flying to Granada we can fly from VLC to Sevilla SVQ. Then drive or train over to Granada when we like.

The weird thing is flights.google.com lists the price for a single ticket as €39 but when I say two adults and a kid it jumps to €321 for the exact same flight. I'm not the best at math but uh... what's the goofy airline reason for this?

Like surely here I am better off buying three separate tickets. Pay the extra €5 later to pick seats (only two need to be together, really).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
you could try calling them :ohdear:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can any experts here figure out how to get from VLC to RDU with no more than one transfer?

We used to be able to fly through Paris but that seems to no longer exist.

I would even consider leaving from MAD or BCN...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Thank you for that. How did your generate that chart? That is really cool.

In summer sometimes there were direct flights between CLT and MAD or RDU and London but these days I cannot find them

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
skiplagged is cool, thank you.

It seems the CLT-MAD flights begin March 27 which is too late for us. The RDU-CDG flight is apparently beginning again August 3rd (i'm finding these at https://www.flightsfrom.com/). Sigh.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is it true that when you rent a car you can bring it back to any of the company's locations? With an Enterprise rental in the US their site would always say "no availability" if I selected a different dropoff location. When I went to the local office to ask about it they said to just put in the rental as same pickup/dropoff location and then drop the car off at whatever location I want and it won't be a problem.

Is this really true? I am worried that we'll take the car to a location four hours away and they will refuse to take it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yeah, that's a one-way rental and usually has fees for the service in addition to charging for miles rather than letting you have an unlimited amount. If you try to do that, you're very likely going to get screwed. Local offices can be franchises and you'll see different policies across them. The easier thing to do, in my experience, is use a corporate code (some are publically available) that lowers the rate and reduces some of the restrictions. Moreover, franchise locations often own their own fleet and don't allow one-ways because it makes it difficult for them to get the car back. You're much better off doing one-ways from corporate locations like airports.

hmm the car is definitely not owned by the location because the plates are out of state. And the place I want to drop it off is the airport.

I already have the car so no using corporate codes at this point.

I guess I could call the dropoff location and ask :/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Alright. I've barely used a tank of gas driving around town so we've not put on any great number of miles.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I want to buy four tickets on Vueling for a flight from VLC to FCO in November.

What is a bit weird to me is if I tell it I just want one ticket the price is €59, but when I say four the price is €69 each. As far as I can tell the tickets are the same so what gives? Either way you still have to pay extra to choose a seat or bring more liggage.

My guess is the four tickets bought together will be assigned seats next to each other, maybe? But if I am going to pay an extra few bucks to pick my seats then that doesn't matter.

I am tempted to book the four tickets separately Just Because. Or is there something else I am missing?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

peanut posted:

if 10 quid is a dealbreaker then you shouldn't be traveling at all

it's not peanut, I was just trying to understand why it changed.

Thabk you all for the explanation, that was exactly it. Turned out there were three tickets left at the cheaper rate so I got those. I paid a bit more for the fourth but I was needing to buy it separately anyway since I wanted to have one extra carryon for the group and when buying them all together that was an all or nothing proposition.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there a good site for seeing all the places you can fly to direct from a specific airport? flights.google.com tries to do this but it is obviously filtering large numbers of flights out of view. I gave it MAD and it shows 23 flights; just things around Europe. But obviously you can fly direct to many places in the Americas and Asia and Africa which for some reason don't count?

edit: i just found flightsfrom.com and it seems much more thorough.

other people fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Sorry if I've missed it but could you just rent a car and road trip across country? I realize it would take days but you know, flying sucks.