Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Looking to go from Chicago O'Hare to Bangkok, Dec 19 - Jan 7, dates flexible by ~2 days on either side. Looks like it's just going to be about $2400, but figured I'd ask for tips here before booking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Mackieman posted:

$2049 on a mix of UA and NH, stop in NRT. Best option I see at the moment.

That's about $400 cheaper than anything I could find. Which dates got you that price?

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Was playing around with fares on Hipmunk and followed the booking link to the airline's (Qatar) website– but once there, the Hipmunk-quoted price is gone. Any ideas?

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Mackieman posted:

Hipmunk utilizes fare data as posted to one of the GDS (Global Distribution System) platforms out there. Airlines update the GDS of their choice (sometimes more than one) a couple of times per day. Thus it is entirely plausible that a fare with a limited number of seats sells out before the next GDS update, resulting in a tool that utilizes GDS data showing a fare that the ticketing carrier won't actually sell. Verification of fare availability is what is happening when you click on a link to go to a booking engine and they show you a splash page that says, "Hold on just a sec..." or whatever.

Got it! If you don't mind, one more question: the Chicago-Bangkok trip is something I'd still like to book, but now have a hard return date, so Dec 18(ish) to Jan 5. Prices have spiked pretty seriously since just earlier in the week– what's the best way to go from here? Book now or wait for a few days/longer?