Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
You get Global Entry benefits with NEXUS. You can use TSA Precheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I've used it in the past, and it was awesome. I was just wondering if I could use the Nexus card to clear US customs when inbound from a third country, my reading is that I can.

Seems weird that they charge half the price of Global Entry for a Nexus and yet give you pretty much the same privileges.

I've only used mine between the US and Canada, so I don't have firsthand experience to back it up, but I agree with you that it should work. Bring both your passport and NEXUS card with you. $50 for 5 years is a bargain.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I'll have done 19 segments this year but that's not enough for even lowest-tier status, and the QM have generally been lovely because of the fares that I buy. Is it worth trying to stick with a given airline/alliance (Air Canada/*A) for me, or just shop around for the best fare for any given flight? It's all leisure travel.

spoof fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 1, 2014

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I almost always book directly through the airline now. Rarely do I find anywhere cheaper and there's less chance for runaround in case of a problem.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Are dropping oil prices going to have any sort of impact on airfare, or is it is all going to go to the airlines' bottom line? I have to imagine that fuel makes up a large part of their opEx.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Rome2Rio is the site I know that'll show you multiple modes of transportation like that, but it doesn't cover the whole range of dates that you're looking for. You can, however, search for multiple airports at a time with google flights. Just enter something like PDX, SEA, YVR into the from field and MIL, VCE, TRN into the to field and use the calendar view to search for 13 days +/- 3 days, and 17 days +/- 3 days. Airfare will likely be your largest cost, so get an idea of what train tickets are like between these other airports and Milan and mentally add it to the cost.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
There aren't any true LCCs in Canada, though all the big airlines have stupid fees now too. I don't know how you found a TAM flight that isn't a codeshare. Porter airlines may be of interest to you since they fly from Toronto city centre airport.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Cool, did not know that. I remember seeing a true AC flight between Santiago and Buenos Aires that made me do a double take as well.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Partially strange observation, partially request for help.

YYZ-NBO on Oct 16/15
NBO-CPT on Nov 7/15 afternoon or nov8/15 morning
CPT-YYZ on Dec 12/15

Breaking out segments into their own tickets seems to make a (sometimes big) difference to the total fare. For example, YYZ-LHR//LHR-NBO with a just over 12h layover, that I don't mind, comes out cheaper than YYZ-NBO, everything else being equal, and where the latter option doesn't even find the former. Breaking out the middle NBO-CPT section (usually 2 or 3 segments) also seems to make a difference, whether it's a one-way+open-jaw over a 3-way multi-city, with the former being a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the latter.

Given this, how do I approach finding these kinds of anomalies? Some of the combinations I come up with price but aren't bookable online. For example, one ticket that has flights with AC, ET and SA is bookable through Lufthansa (according to Google). I've only ever booked flights online. Anything special about booking over the phone with itineraries like this? Anything weird about booking tickets into Africa?

Cheapest I've found so far is 1686CAD (ticket 1) + 677CAD (ticket 2). There's a cheaper flight for the second ticket but it's too early in the morning, which of course doesn't exist the next day.

~1h connections in AMS often show up, even AC interlining with KLM. What's the minimum connection time I should be looking at?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Play around with skypicker and their radius search. If you think that's an absurd route, I found a Chengdu - Bishkek flight for $900, via Guangzhou, Urumqi and Moscow.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

For as little as possible, ideally less than $500, at most $700, I'm looking to vacation somewhere:
- not in the Americas
- ideally warm, but not a deal-breaker
- ideally cheap, but not a deal-breaker
- leaving anytime as of tomorrow and returning by Dec 12
- duration of 2-3 weeks
- not just a beach vacation, but other than that anything goes
- I'm currently in Toronto but am happy to make a side trip anywhere between Chicago, New York, and Boston, make a side trip of it, etc.

Yeah, that's about it. Any leads? Would a travel agent be able to help me with something like this?

I think the only place now in the Americas that you can reliably get to on that budget in that timeframe is Iceland. It won't be warm, but it'll hit the rest of your checkboxes. You can get to Beijing or Shanghai for ~800. There have been some deals on India around that price on Secretflying recently, but not last-minute. Good luck.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Westjet added flights from YYZ to LGW for 271CAD one-way.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah and that return one way will be three times more expensive.

Depends. With mainline airlines, definitely, but not with the budget ones. Westjet, Icelandair and Air Transat all do one-ways at half the price of the return. Air transat has a one-way return LGW-YYZ on July 12 for 383CAD, making his trip 271+383=654CAD return to London.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I'm trying to piece together flights from YYC-BCN in March. The cheapest transatlantic legs are on Westjet (YYC-LGW), but that means buying separate tickets for LON-BCN. I'm planning on visiting a friend on the outbound leg, so I'm not worried there, but the inbound leg would have me landing at LGW at 9AM on a Vueling flight, collecting baggage and checking in for an 11:35AM Westjet flight. Is 2.5h enough for this at LGW? They don't interline.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Savings are 300-400 CAD over *A and 500 over BA. Where does WestJet long haul lie on the Air Transat to Singapore continuum? I have an EU passport so looks like that transfer should be doable, at least.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Saladman posted:

Actually, do any LCCs even fly trans-Atlantic besides Norwegian? And WOW I guess (if Iceland to the US counts as trans-Atlantic).

I guess there's LEVEL, IAG's other other LCC. There's also a whole class of non-flag carrier 'leisure' airlines of the Air Canada Rouge and Air Transat type, which if not as cheap as true LCCs are at least as, if not more, uncomfortable.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

peanut posted:

Beijing layover without tourist visa is 72 hours?? so you'll save some money and headaches if you can keep that leg of your trip short.

144 hours.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Kiwi lets you do this.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Saladman posted:

Weird that the UK is eligible but not the rest of the five eyes. I think Canadian citizens have some equivalent system they can join?

Canadians can (and should) get NEXUS, which includes PRE and Global Entry. All for $50 every 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I’ve always looked at the Wikipedia page for the airport (ex: MAD). I’ve found it to be pretty complete, but it doesn’t show any schedules.