Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hey, offchance do any of you know what BA's deal is with their upgrade fare codes? I was looking on ExpertFlyer to see about my chances upgrading a PE to Business with an AA SWU, looking at U specifially, but it says all the upgrade fare classes (P, U, X, and Z) are unavailable. Not just for that flight, but like, in general. There are still ~13 seats available in business across all business fares, so I'm hoping some will be released to upgrade, but what's with the fare class thing?

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

Welcome to upgrading with instruments in TYOOL 2023. Upgrade space is regularly sparse so it's not surprising that you're not seeing any U space available when you search for things, even over consecutive days. They'd much rather sell those seats for revenue rather than give them away. Also keep in mind that using an AA SWU on BA means you need a mixture of both AA and BA segments on the PNR.

Oh, yeah I do. It's all booked though our organizational travel coordinator as an AA PNR. And I'm BA outbound and AA (and I2) on the return. We're governmental so it's all through US airlines even if sometimes as codeshare. But like, I get that AA SWUs are hard to use; that's why I didn't take 3 more at whatever LP reward level that was and opted for miles instead, but BA seem to have disused all of their upgrade fare classes, and that's what I'm confused about.

As for the actual chance of an upgrade, I figure I'm just going to call T-36 or so and hope for the best. I'm OW Emerald though I don't think that helps me, but maybe if inventory is released it may bump me ahead?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I did call BA directly, but they weren't super helpful, aside from suggesting I call AA back like ~T-36 or so to see what is available.

e: It's really all on me for just requesting just PE or better under my medical allowance instead of lie flat (government books you at the lowest fare or some poo poo unless medical needs dictate higher, which my doctor who is a real sis agreed to, though I'm not super sure how it actually works I guess).

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 1, 2023