Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Is there a good site that can tell you deals based on your origin? I have 2 weeks off next month, am flexible on the dates and location. I just want to go somewhere exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
How far in advance should I buy a rt ticket from SFO>London for Christmas?

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
My husband and I just redeemed our British avios and over Christmas we're flying first class to Rome, London, and then back to the states. :hfive:

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

sellouts posted:

That's a lot of Avios! Congrats!

Can I ask how many Avios it cost you?

For both of us, it was 180,000 avios, a companion voucher, and then $2600 in taxes/fees. Still a steal though! Full price would have been close to $17k.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

sellouts posted:

Given those fees I assume your awards are on BA?

I avoided them on my award travel. Fees are just way too high.

Yeah, we have a BA credit card. With the fees, we probably paid a little less than coach would have cost, but we get to go first class. I read they give you a pair of pajamas.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Mackieman posted:

Yowzers, that's nuts. Any reason why you couldn't find AA metal to avoid that YQ surcharge? I don't collect Avios (at least until my intra-Europe BA flights in a couple of weeks) but all the folks I know that do say their longhaul awards, especially on BA metal, aren't a particularly great value. But the short-distance awards, especially on partner carriers, are usually a stellar value.

:psyduck: We're not frequent flyers...we just earned points using our credit card, and this is what BA gave us for them.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Mackieman posted:

Sure, but you don't have to be a frequent traveler to get better value for your points than you have with what you've currently got booked. But such is life; it certainly won't suck. :)

Where can I find more information about how to get better value in the future? We still have more points and another companion voucher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Ok, I have another companion voucher/avios with BA, and this time I want to make sure I get a good deal. I used the last voucher/avios to book 2 first class rt tickets from SFO-CIA-LHR on their website, and when I posted it here everyone said I booked it the wrong way and that's how I was hit with so much (~$1,200/ticket) taxes and fees.

So now I've got avios from my british airways credit card, and a companion voucher, and to redeem them I need to book only BA flights. How am I supposed to go about using them without paying ridiculous taxes/fees?

edit: nevermind. Apparently I have a travel together voucher but not enough avios to actually use it.

Emasculatrix fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 24, 2014