Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Super Delegate posted:

I'm trying to book a Eurotrip.

My current plan is

FROM JFK (New York) to PRG (Prague) on 8/28/2013
*Traveling with a tour group*
FROM BUD (Budapest) to FCO (Rome) on 9/5/2013
FROM FCO (Rome) to JFK (New York) on or after 9/8/2013

This comes out to around $1,300 when I price it on several websites. I'm closer to PHL than JFK, but the PHL flights are more expensive.

Ideal Trip

FROM JFK (New York) to KEF/REK (Keflavík) on 8/21/2013
FROM KEF/REK (Keflavík) to PRG (Prague) on 8/28/2013
FROM BUD (Budapest) to FCO (Rome) on 9/5/2013
FROM FCO (Rome) to JFK (New York) on or after 9/8/2013

I'm having the same problem as bam thwok. The prices I get for this trip are from $3000 to $6000+ on Kayak as soon as I include iceland. It is cheaper when I book JFK to Iceland on Iceland air, but then I'm stuck paying for a 1 way flight from Italy back to JFK.

On ITA Matrix, you can go JFK-KEF, then KEF to PRG, then FCO to KEF and finally KEF to JFK for just over $2000 (there's a couple stopovers in Copenhagen). You would have to buy your BUD to FCO ticket separately, but it's not a bad price if you don't mind doing the one extra leg in Iceland and having basically an extra day there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Hang on, so if you're flying out of Dublin or Shannon to the US, you can go through US immigration before even taking off? That seems immensely more sensible than the usual system for any number of reasons. Do you know if any airports on Great Britain do that? I'm looking to fly out to Bozeman in a couple of months and between my regular anxiety issues and the added massive stress of a day-long intercontinental coach travel (when you're over 6 feet tall no less) I tend to get worked up going through immigration, which has led to a couple of highly unenjoyable extra scrutiny episodes.

Current plan is flying from Birmingham as it's closest to me and no more expensive than the London airports but I'm fairly flexible and for a less stressful customs and immigration experience I'd go to bloody Kirkwall.

e; On further inspection it doesn't seem other airports near me do that, but this page explicitly says you can fly from Brum to Dublin and then avail yourself of US Preclearance. Now I just have to see if I can connect through Dublin with a price comparable to the ones through Amsterdam or Paris.
You can also do it by going through Canada, since AFAIK all our major airports have preclearance so that the planes can land in the domestic terminals once they get to the States. Unfortunately I don't think there's a lot of flights from Europe that have a stopover in Canada before going to the States.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Arriving late in the day on an international flight is the best thing, you get to go right to sleep and have basically no jet lag.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mackieman posted:

See, that was my plan when I went to PVG a couple of weeks ago. I stayed awake for the last eight hours of the flight, had dinner, and crashed out with a full eight hours of sleep. The next afternoon was miserable as I couldn't hardly keep my eyes open.
Oh, really? I have no problem with that usually, if I've fallen asleep at night and gotten 8 hours I have no problem the next day, but I find landing at like 10am in Europe (or good God 6am in Australia) and then having to stay awake the entire day after being awake the whole flight is just the worst hell on the planet, and I always have to write off the entire first day of a trip because of that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, my husband and I flew business class from Australia to Japan to Canada in 2011 thanks to points, the whole thing cost me like $300 for two people or something equally ridiculous.

Stupid Aeroplan charge fuel surcharges on most of their partner airlines which makes it way harder to redeem them, but oh well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you're not able/willing to do what Mackieman suggests, which I also think is the best move, I would book it like this:

Girlfriend: TXL to SFO in Feb, SFO to TXL in April

Boyfriend: SFO to TXL in April (on the same flight as you), TXL to SFO in May/June/Whenever

That way your boyfriend will miss the return flight but it doesn't matter because he'll be in Berlin, and you've both ignored the stuff Mackieman has said about the problems you might face at immigration without a return ticket but this way you will have a return ticket if Pickles isn't a European citizen/resident so he's more likely to be allowed into the country.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope that's a transpac business class flight at that price.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mackieman posted:

It is business class, at least. My parents are taking my sister to Europe as a graduation present when she gets her master's degree next year; I get to tag along because I play family travel agent. This trip is in March during her spring break which is also my wife's spring break (she works in education). We were scheduled to leave March 6 and fly IAH-IAD-LHR, spending time in LHR then over to VIE, BTS, SZG, EDI, and then an overnight in DUB to avoid the UK APD.

Then I got a call on Monday saying that my presence is requested in CAN (Guangzhou, China) the week of March 3 - March 7. The only other options I had were in the middle of Chinese New Year which is clearly not an option at all. So I set about figuring out how to get to China and then back to London to meet up with my family for our vacation.

I wound up splitting myself off the reservation I was on with my wife and my sister so that their flights (and upgrades) stayed intact and I could change mine. I moved my flights to a week earlier, so now I leave February 28 and do AUS-IAH-IAD-LHR, getting to LHR on March 1. This allows me to leave from AUS instead of having to get to IAH on my own, and all three new segments had upgrade space so the previous upgrade that I had was reapplied and now I'm in premium cabins all the way to LHR. That's a win in my book.

Once I get to LHR, I have a four hour unprotected connection to a series of Lufthansa flights, LHR-FRA-HKG in business, and then HKG-CAN on China Southern (who's website sucks dick in the worst way) using yet another separate ticket with an unprotected connection. On the way out I have CAN-HKG as the return portion of the round-trip China Southern ticket, then back over to Lufthansa to do HKG-MUC-LHR, which gets me to LHR about 24 hours after my family gets there. I have some friends who are converting their United SWUs to paper SWUs so I can potentially upgrade to international first class on the LH flights since it's a full J fare.

All in all, it's not a bad deal, but I'm going to cross 75% of the earth by going to China the, "wrong" way. :D

Hahahaa that is one hell of an itinerary, but it definitely does explain the price, for sure!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Depending on how flexible you want to be, my guess is if you fly out on Christmas Day itself you will get either a cheaper price or an empty plane, or maybe even both, because no one wants to fly on Christmas.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
poo poo, that is expensive. When I went business from Australia to Japan to Canada for two people it was like $300 in fees.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, YYZ to literally anywhere outside the airport is a total and complete nightmare.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

grinning cheshire posted:

Travel for August 2015, too far out?

Destination, Amsterdam
Starting, Honolulu HNL
Duration 7-10 days
Plan to flesh out: Arrive in Amsterdam around the 17th of August. Spend ~7-10 days total.

Is it better to fly somewhere else and take a train?
Matrix is telling me my dates are too far away.

You generally have to wait 335 days for most airlines (365 for some), you're a bit too far out.

HNL -> EWR/JFK/anywhere else on the east coast -> AMS is really doable, I'd fly straight there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kind Milkman posted:

I booked a flight using some of the tips from here on 5/2/14 through Spirit. It was a trip for two from MSP to PDX on July 5th, and back on the 14th, with a rental car through Hertz. Paid through Paypal because my bank is awful about high dollar amount transactions. I have to cancel the trip because of some extenuating circumstances. Do I stand any chance at getting my money back? Any tips on getting the majority of it back? I'd rather get a refund than miles or other credits.

Totally depends on the fare you booked, if you booked the cheapest possible flights then probably not. I don't know about Spirit airlines, they may not offer any refundable fare buckets anyway.

This is why it's always a good idea to book your tickets with a credit card that has cancellation insurance, or to buy cancellation insurance separately.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ugh I have the most hosed up schedule this summer and I can't make ANYTHING work without costing like a billion dollars.

Seriously, Premium Economy one way tickets being basically the same price as a return to Australia/NZ is killing me, since I want to return via Tokyo which seems to be impossible because ~*~AIRLINES~*~

It should absolutely be doable with ANZ in *A and Qantas in OW

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sellouts posted:

Sorry, where are you starting your trip from?

Oh, sorry, I'm not super really looking for help so I didn't mention it. I just figured this was the best place to rant about plane ticket prices and their magic. My trip isn't completely set in stone yet and is dependant on a lot of factors.

I'm leaving from Vancouver, going to Melbourne Australia in Premium Economy, probably August 3rd or 4th. Then at some point in late September I'm going to be going back to Canada, but I'm going via either Tokyo or Osaka (preferably Osaka) and stopping there for a week or so. Also one of the legs, probably Japan -> YVR, I'm going to do on points. It's just a giant clusterfuck to figure out, namely because the one way tickets in PE are almost the same price as a round trip, so it's become stupidly expensive to do, and I can't get Qantas to actually route me through Tokyo on the way back, even with a multi city booking.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 8, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sellouts posted:

Weird, I can get them to the point where they want to take my cash on Qantas.com.au for those flights no problem. I don't see what's hard to figure out aside from your schedule and when you want to travel. You're going to pay through the nose for this because it's really 2 one ways -- returning via Tokyo/Osaka isnt the most direct path to your origin, there's no routed flights that go via NRT and you're stopping over for a week. Not a ton of magic there, there's just no free lunch for trying to choose your way to a city and choosing to layover for a week rather than connect in a traditional round trip manner.

Also, PE with points is traditionally a terrible value -- business is usually not much more for far greater service.

Oh yeah, definitely, I know all that (I think the Qantas site had a glitch the other night, I can now get the multi city flight tool to work, whereas when I had my original rant it wouldn't do it), that's why I said I'm not really looking for help, just ranting.

I'm going Business with the points for sure, Air Canada don't even have a way to do PE with them, but yeah you're right. I only book business class with point for exactly that reason.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, definitely make the jump on that one.

I waited a bit on those flights to Australia in PE and found an Air NZ sale... one way to Auckland for $1700, the flight onwards to Australia will end up being around $300 more. Pretty stoked on that price, since it's not much more than half a return ticket, which is awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

E-Money posted:

I'm in London for work until the end of August. I want to take a trip somewhere in Europe, but am flexible on location as long as it's a cheap flight. I will need to leave on a Friday afternoon/evening and return on a Sunday but have some flexibility as to which weekend, and would go pretty much anywhere cheap and fun. I tried using Kayak Explore but that doesn't let you put in any date/day restrictions. I would love to just put in my specs and scroll a map with fares and pick a great deal, rather than doing a million searches for a bunch of random cities. Is there anything like that?

I would use ITA Matrix, stick in a city as close to the centre of Europe as you can (Vienna maybe? Prague?) and then search all airports in a 500km radius or whatever. You'll probably end up with the odd flight to Africa in there, but whatever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite was when Expedia booked me a return ticket from SYD -> QZN with luggage on the way there and no luggage on the way back, despite the website saying I was booked with luggage both ways, and then not replying at all to my email to complain about it.

I was out $260 at the airport thanks to that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

peanut posted:

I might fly San Francisco, CA to San Jose, Costa Rica next year. Any tips on layovers in Phoenix/Dallas/Houston/Mexico/El Salvador? If I have more than 4 daytime hours I'll probably take my 4-year-old out into the city, but where can I leave my bags?

Four hours isn't enough to go with a child into a city, do anything, and get back in time for your international connection. Unless one of those cities happens to have the airport be right downtown, which I have never, ever experienced. Unless you have 6+ hours just hang out in the airport like everyone else, buy a lounge pass if you don't want to hang out with the unwashed masses. You'll feel like an idiot if you go out, spend an hour in a restaurant, get into a traffic jam and miss your connecting flight.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure you can go SYD -> DFW, I'm assuming you can get from Dallas to Central America pretty easily.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mackieman posted:

You can, but at what price? SYD-DFW is a flagship route that has a single service on it, so the prices are typically higher than to LAX or SFO, and you can get to LatAm pretty easily through LAX as well.

Yeah, I wasn't factoring in price, just that it's actually fairly easy to get from Australia to central America, just throwing out the two-flight routes that are out there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sentientcarbon posted:

Question about rescheduling/one-way ticket general fuckery:

A few weeks ago I reserved a round-trip ticket, Houston to Phoenix with US Airways, leaving Thurs 2/5 and returning Sun 2/8. Work decided to be a jerk and shove a bunch of important meetings back a week, filling up 2/5 with poo poo I have to be there for. I call US Airways to ask if I can change the outgoing from Thurs to Fri, and they basically tell me it's gonna be at least another $360 to change from 2/5 to 2/6, so gently caress that noise. Poking around on kayak, I saw a one-way from Houston to Phoenix on Friday for just about $100. If I were to take this other one-way ticket to Phoenix and no-show for the outbound leg of my initial round-trip ticket, would I still be able to catch just the return flight of that round-trip? Would definitely prefer to pay an extra $100 instead of $360 if at all possible.

Tl;dr: Airline reaming me with fees for moving the outbound leg of my round trip ticket by one day, can I take a one-way outbound and still catch the return flight of my round trip?

No, if you miss the first leg of the roundtrip the whole ticket is considered forfeit, sorry.

If one way is only $100 maybe check if you can re-book the whole itinerary for cheaper than $360?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

When I go to an airline site such as Condor and they claim there are only 4-7 seats left, on a flight two months down the road for a random rear end line like Vancouver to Belgrade, are they lying or are those numbers accurate?
Probably accurate, the Frankfurt -> Belgrade leg might be the one with just a few seats left if Vancouver -> Frankfurt isn't. I can't remember if Condor lets you see what seats are taken before you fly.

A lot of flights book out early, especially if you're travelling in summer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

Better get my poo poo sorted and commit to an itinerary ASAP then. :toot:

I'd at least try just the Vancouver -> Frankfurt and see if it tells you there's only a few seats left then.

That way if so you can just wait and book Vancouver -> Zagreb or whatever later on and train it down to Serbia from there.

But yeah, I'd try and commit sooner rather than later just so you can start pricing out flights if nothing else.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

smackfu posted:

Yeah, the only place I take it seriously is when it is a small plane like a Dash-8.

That's why I like the seating maps. Last year I got two of the last four seats period on a flight from YVR -> AKL that I booked about six weeks in advance. I was like "holy poo poo, already?" and had zero leeway for what date to travel on, so it worked out well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

My situation is a slightly unusual one:

- Origin: Savannah, so I could fly out of Atlanta (4hrs away) or Charleston SC (2hrs away) as long as I know the day before so I can make plans to travel there by bus/train/car
- Destination: Berlin, but my understanding is the 6hr train ride is only like €50 or so from Frankfurt, and I assume Frankfurt has more flights.
- Duration of trip: One-way trip. The plan is to stay with my girlfriend in Berlin for a month or two until I can land a contract job, likely in Africa or the Middle East
- Flexibility: the big one, I'm pretty tight on cash, and extremely flexible on timeline. I wouldn't want to leave any earlier than next week, but generally speaking anytime in May is fine, I have no specific obligations. Earlier being slightly better than later.

I notice that most airfare search engines only have "+/- 3 days" as an option, but is there any good way to look at an entire upcoming month to find the softest spots? I know the OP says that true super-deals are rare, but I have a pretty broad timeframe.

If you're willing to do a few layovers you can go ATL -> FRA for $702 on a combo of Air Canada and Iceland Air. Involves stopping in Toronto and Reykjavik. May 27th only. I'd jump on it, everything else is $900+

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, you're gambling by just having the one way. If you're white it [i]probably/i] won't be a problem but no guarantees.

If you want earlier, Hipmunk has SAV -> Charlotte -> CDG -> TXL for $824 on May 2nd or 3rd (can't remember which it was). Also mystery airline. CDG with those connections looks like the transat part will likely (but not necessary) be with an American airline of some sort.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

simplefish posted:

The only thing I know about Lübeck is that when I flew in there several years ago, it was RyanAir and seemingly nobody else's airport

And it was probably RyanAir's Berlin airport.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hollandia posted:

Brisbane to Stockholm, departing anywhere between 20-25 June, returning 3-7 August.

Finally in a position to book my flights; can't find anywhere that will get below ~$2,100 AUD. This is.... ok, but was wondering if the ticket wizards here could find anything better?

I'm considering flying to Copenhagen and taking a train, which does appear to be a cheaper option.

I also thought maybe flying to London or Paris first then taking a Ryanair flight might work, but they both seem to be more expensive to fly to....

If you don't mind booking a couple separate one ways on a discount airline, you can go BNE -> HEL and then HEL -> BNE for $1585 AUD with Finnair. Leave June 24, return Aug 4-6.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Souvlaki ss posted:

I'm looking at prices for a round trip, and while I have a set date for the departure flight, I'm not so sure about the return flight (depending on work it might be a month after the departure flight or 6 months).

I don't want a refundable ticket, just an economy ticket where I can pay a bit extra to make the change.
In some airlines it's really easy to see these options but in others (AA) I have no idea how to do it, they only list "lowest fair, flexible and business/first" (and flexible is insanely pricey).

Whats the best way to book this? Am I gonna get screwed with the extra fee for changing the ticket?

If you're looking on an American airline (any of the major ones anyway), your change fee is usually going to be $200 if it's a domestic flight. If it's international, the fee is going to be higher. You don't have nearly enough details to have an idea about what's the best thing to do in your situation though.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 7, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Souvlaki ss posted:

International between SCL-ORD or SCL-GRR (once again).
I can leave end of October (ideal before halloween) or end of November.
As I said before, I would like to book the return flight a month after that date with the possibility of changing it to 6 months after the departure date.

I also noticed I can't even book the return flight that far in advance (6 months), so I guess I definitely need to go with the first option and pay extra

Yeah, you can only book out 330 (or 333? I can't remember) days in advance generally.

I mean, your other option is to book two one-way flights, which depending on the costs might come out to being cheaper, but yeah, I think your best bet is to just book a ticket and pay the change fee and fare difference.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Souvlaki ss posted:

I'll check the 2 one-way flights option. Thanks for the suggestion!

If I do go with the option of booking a ticket and pay the change fee, what would be the smartest move?
book an economy without restrictions ticket? (so the price is higher but the fees are less) or it doesn't really matter because it's impossible to know the fees and fare difference?

Just doing a cursory search flex tickets in economy seem to run around $6k for that route, so I would definitely avoid that. If you're going to book and pay the change fee, just get the cheapest possible ticket for sure. Before you confirm the booking, somewhere in the terms it should have the change fee listed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

thehoodie posted:

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Europe in a couple weeks. We managed to score a $350 flight to Dublin on June 15th, but no such luck on the way back - all the return flights are upwards of $1000 no matter where I look. We'll be flying back at the end of July, so anywhere after the 25th. Intra-Europe flights seem to be pretty cheap, so we're willing to hop around if it will shave off some money.

Origin: Europe
Destination: Calgary, AB, Canada
Duration of trip with dates: End of July - after the 25th
Flexibility: However flexible we need to be!

Any help?

Yeah, rule #1 of international travel, don't book one ways.

$562 on Westjet via Hipmunk July 26th.

Thank your lucky stars that Westjet started going to Ireland because otherwise there was no way you were doing it for under $1k/ticket.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also you get the bonus of making everyone in your life freak out about how you're going to die if you spend 5 hours in Seoul airport.

Seriously, I went to Japan for a week about six months after the big earthquake and tsunami and basically every single person in my life except my mom who actually understands science was telling me and my husband "oh no don't go you'll die of radiation poisoning!!!"

My answer was always "if we get screwed up by spending a week in Tokyo six months after the actual incident the world is going to have way bigger problems than me getting leukemia."

Seriously though, MERS is confined to hospitals right now, you'll be fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Saw this about Spirit last night:

But so let's talk about Spirit. I've flown them a few times from MSP to Chicago because who gives a poo poo it's a 45 minute flight. I understand the base fare doesn't include much, I understand paying extra for luggage and snacks and basically everything is ala carte. I understand there's less seat pitch than other carriers and that the seats don't recline.

I also understand that it's a budget airlines, and one of the way they can save money is with a smaller fleet. This means delays ripple through the network (I've had this happen, flying back from Chicago in the evening, a plane left Miami late in the morning and it threw the whole network off). But so what are some of the other ways Spirit sucks? A lot of people seem to get mad at the baggage fees and the seats but Spirit is pretty open about that so those people are basically wrong, but I'm guessing there are other concerns that Spirit doesn't openly advertise.

There's a whole bunch of them posted about ten posts up:

fordan posted:

When Spirit works it's cheap (if you can manage to avoid all the fees) and it gets you there.

When things go wrong you can be in for a huge world of pain. If you hit traffic and miss the cutoff, you're buying a new ticket. They have a mechanical issue: you're possibly sitting around for days waiting for an open seat on a future flight along with everyone else who got cancelled. And no, they aren't putting you on a different airline nor are they paying for a hotel. Had a friend have to buy herself a last-minute $800 ticket to get home after Spirit thought she missed her outbound flight (she didn't) and cancelled her return flight. She was looking at small claims court to try and get that back except you have to sue them down where their headquarters is around Fort Lauderdale and there are stories on the Internet that they will send a lawyer and countersue for legal fees.

The downsides might be worth the cheap price to someone who can cope with the potential issues (has someplace to stay at both ends of the trip and no fixed schedule to get home), but I have to think 90+% of the people flying Spirit have no idea and went "oooh, cheapest."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There are worse places to be stuck overnight than Reykjavik, especially if you're there in the middle of summer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Are other Star Alliance carriers like Air Canada in that they won't actually offer business class tickets on long flights through the frequent flyer program? I always get offered economy on my 9 hour segment, and then (for example) business class on a two-hour connection within Europe, all for basically twice the points as booking economy on all segments. Uh, no thank you Air Canada, please go gently caress yourself.

Yes, for the most part. Star Alliance flights are all offered to Star Alliance customers. Sometimes Air Canada will miss some, the ANA search engine is the best one and will give you all the available options for the entire *A network.

OneWorld is a bit better for long haul business segments, but in general if you want to book business rewards long haul you either have to book enormously in advance or be super flexible with your dates.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australia is in fact a big country with multiple airports that will have a price difference, since it's AFL I assume you want Melbourne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Urgh, sorry. I really can't read good.