Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Migz posted:

So I found a flight I want to book on google flights and at the ending is just asking me to call air china to book. I call them and they have no idea what google flights is? what gives.. how do I book this flight lol.

You have to give them the info you get on Google flights ie. the flight number, date and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Westjet is fine, they're Canada's second biggest airline, they'll charge the same as Air Canada for things for the most part, but they'll be more friendly about it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, your buddy's travelling in between seasons (ski season is heading towards its end in September but summer hasn't quite started yet) while you're trying to go over Christmas. Without a bigger window (taking your flights outside of that peak Christmas travel time) it's going to be expensive.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can also sort of do it with ITA matrix, just plug in like Prague or whatever (somewhere in the middle of Europe geographically) and select everything within 500kms.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I can't figure out how to find flights when you only know your destination. I want a flight to HEL from some city in Europe, preferrably in Germany or France. To search for flights these search engines want you to know the FROM part, but the problem is I don't care too much about it as long as it is affordable.

I guess the best plan is to cycle through a long list of cities and look which one has the cheapest flights to Helsinki :|

Again,

HookShot posted:

You can also sort of do it with ITA matrix, just plug in like Prague or whatever (somewhere in the middle of Europe geographically) and select everything within 500kms.

but do this in the departing section.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I've got YYZ to Rio de Janeiro November 23 to December 7th for $509 on Air Canada. I know it's in the Americas, but it checks all of your other boxes.

Oddly enough, Portugal is cheap right now too. I've got YYZ to Lisbon, Portugal with a departure date of November 28th and coming back December 11th. Direct flight with SATA (:shrug:) $549 I'm seeing similar prices to Madrid.

Are you sure you're not looking at things in USD? Because the CAD is poo poo right now, I get the Rio flight at $678 CAD, assuming it's the same one, and $549USD is definitely over 700 Canadian.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Stupid CAD. :argh: Yes those are USD prices. Also, holy poo poo what happened to the Canadian dollar.

Turns out our economy is 100% oil based.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also they didn't actually make it low cost, the prices on all the routes that run rouge are the same as they used to be, they just now run shittier airplanes to them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
All those segments are booked separately, you're going to have to pick up and recheck everywhere.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got sent through the precheck line in Denver once and had no idea wtf but when the person was like "don't take laptops out, don't take your shoes off" I just shrugged and went ok.

There wasn't even a line, it was literally just my husband, myself and two other women who got invited in there with us in the entire security section.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I would do an open-jaw ticket, go CPH->YYZ (or YUL or wherever) and then YVR->CPH for the return leg, and just buy a one-way ticket inside Canada from out east to YVR.

A quick Matrix search shows that for $1600 Canadian you can get all this including a flight from YYZ to YVR on August 6th with Air Canada.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the only travel website I've ever actually had issues with has been Expedia, and I've booked on some sketchy-rear end sites before.

I agree that booking through the carrier is always best.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I've flown first on United from Seattle to Denver and been allowed in the lounge, I actually so much took it for granted that it was a normal thing that I never even looked up to see if I was allowed to.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Great OP. I wanted to ask for any tips/tricks people might have, basically looking for airfare and haven't done this before, want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Details:

Flying out of: Vancouver (YVR) Canada.
Flying into: Heres the thing, there is no super strong preference. If there is money to be saved and the destination is near a bullet train (any major city), it's all good. I haven't found a really decent way to search for flights by country and was hoping someone here would have some tricks for this.
Dates: Leaving YVR December 9th, returning to YVR December 23rd. Not very flexible for dates.

Thanks dudes.

Use ITA Matrix, you can select a city near the geographic centre of the country you want and then increase the search radius to include everything within x kilometers.

I think with Google flights you can also just choose a country.

You're likely looking at the $1000 CAD range anyway from what I can tell.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
PT6A just likes to brag about the fact that he paid money for a business class seat once and so is therefore entitled to comment in this discussion because he is rich, you see.

He does that poo poo all the time in the Canada thread too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Emirates is definitely a better airline than United, but honestly I'd probably do United through Tokyo rather than going all the way to Dubai and then back to Bangkok. Off the top of my head you're probably adding an extra 8 hours of being in the air by doing that Emirates flight and that's just absolutely not worth it, especially with two kids.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

I can't speak for HookShot, but I totally read SEA as Seattle, not Southeast Asia...

Yeah, same. Looks like we were wrong. Going from Seattle to Bangkok through Dubai makes zero sense, the idea of doing that hurts my brain so I'm glad that's not actually what he was considering.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

When I was younger I went on a vacation with my parents that sent us LGA->BOS->IAH->LAX->GUM -> SYD.

That was the last time I let my dad handle booking flights.

Jesus Christ, did that take like 40 hours or something total? :stare:

The dumbest I've ever personally done was KEF -> CDG (landing at 6am) and then 24 hours later CDG -> AMS -> YYC -> YVR. But I knew what I was getting into and with our schedule it actually saved my husband and I around $800pp and we decided that one day of total hell that resulted in us sleeping in the lobby of a lovely airport hotel in the middle of an industrial area until 3pm when check in opened was totally worth it.

Mackieman posted:

If you're not connecting twice, you're not trying. :colbert:
One connection that's almost an entire continent away from your actual destination should count as two connections.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If your wife is the type to freak out about potentially not being seated together she's probably also the type to insist you're at the airport five hours before departure time so if no one's allowed seat selection in advance you'll almost certainly be there early enough to get seats together anyway.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

This is giving me awful flashbacks to my childhood, and that was pre-9/11. We'd've probably camped in a caravan outside the airport if I was a kid today.

Hahahaha at least 9/11 didn't make my mom any worse than she is now, but yeah this was my childhood too.

I maintain it's probably part of the reason that on multiple occasions I've cut it so fine that I've been on the list of people allowed to skip the entire line at security so they can make their flights. TAKE THAT MOM.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Is there some trick to flights to Iceland? I've heard that flights there are supposed to be like insanely cheap, but I'm looking at flights and Iceland Air seems to be by far the most expensive carrier. It's around €1500 (????) for a direct ZRH<->Iceland in mid-June, whereas I can get the same thing with a layover in LHR or Berlin for more like €400 on the same dates. The direct flight would be nice, but not really €1100 nice.

Maybe they just already sold out of all the cheap tickets? If I look for October it's more like €450 roundtrip.

Edit: Whoa, political upheaval and massive protests leading to their corrupt dictator fleeing the country. Will I be safe in Iceland in June or should I cancel my trip and go somewhere safer???

(/s)

It's definitely your dates/the cheap tickets are likely sold out, I did a random check and found some early/mid june tickets for around 500E return.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Is there any way on Google Flights to find the price of flights TO [specific city], FROM [anywhere]? You can do the opposite by looking at the flight map (find prices of all destinations from [City X] but it keeps auto-filling "from" so I can't do it in inverse.

I can flip the ticket around of course and get an approximate idea, but this doesn't work very well for special deal savings, e.g. Munich to Chicago on the dates I want is $750, but Chicago to Munich on the same dates is $1200. I should've bought the tickets for $550 when I saw it, even though it's really out of the way from where I live... drat.

Use ITA Matrix and just select every airport within 500 miles of your departure.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Isn't sky couch about the same price as premium economy? ANZ premec on the LAX plane looks super nice. Way nicer than premium economy on the Vancouver plane, which I got stuck in once when they overbooked business. If you can book a premium cabin for about the same price as skycouch, do that.

Also spoiler alert: the plane that goes LHR->LAX->AKL->Somewhere in Australia is the Smaug plane.

Also with Air New Zealand you can bid to upgrade your fare, so if you book economy you bid for premec, if you book premec you bid for a business seat. Doesn't always work but you can sometimes get a better cabin for a pretty decent price.

I'm a big fan of Air New Zealand, they have absolutely phenomenal customer service.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got it twice for around $650 (CAD) from YVR to AKL, but then I also didn't get it once from AKL to YVR a year later with the same bid.

The one tip I can give you is to fake book a business ticket until you get to seat selection and make sure there are actually seats left in the business cabin for the flight you want. Although once they gave me the upgrade on an overbooked flight. They wanted to just put me on a different flight but I 100% needed that one and couldn't go through LA, so they refunded me the money I paid for the upgrade and gave me a free upgrade from premec to business on any flight in the future. Which was awesome, I used the upgrade on the return flight.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 16, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When the zombie apocalypse happens, it will begin in the LAX domestic terminal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Keep in mind Aeroplan charge fuel surcharges on a LOT of flights. A "free" flight can often end up costing $500+

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hate that fake loving CGI penguin so much.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The worst though is that smarmy rear end in a top hat with the RBC credit card who walks through the airport smugly because of no blackout dates or whatever but lol I spent 4 times as much money as anyone else to get that reward flight because RBC is the loving worst :smug:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

My partner and I are finally escaping Asia and want to take 4-6 weeks in Europe before we settle into no-vacation-forever-America. We seem pretty settled on Seattle to Reykjavik as the cheapest option. Flying back to Seattle (home) from a reunion in Nashville first is actually cheaper than flying from Nashville or Atlanta.

Our plan was to fly out of Reykjavik to the rest of Europe. Are there common cheap hubs or ones to avoid? Warsaw seems pretty cheap, we'd like to have a few days for our connection is there a way to search for those of do we have to call the airline about it? 18 hours is a bit rushed even if it's for all the day light hours.

Trying to go around on a budget, but it still looks like planes are still cheaper and/or safer than trains or automobiles.

What are your favorite flight routes? We're looking at Naples/Rome/Venice, Paris, Edinburgh/London, Tirana/Dubrovnik as necessary stops but sort of flexible for the rest.

I'm not 100% sure what you want to do here. You say you want to visit Italy, France/England and the Balkans, and yet are trying to fly into Poland, which is near absolutely none of those places?

As sellouts says, there's nothing wrong with taking the train in Europe. A lot of the time it is a lot cheaper and a lot less time consuming than flying, and whoever told you it's unsafe in any way is a moron.

Pick what cities you want to go to, then figure out the logistics from there. Personally, I'd go Reykjavik -> Edinburgh, fly to London, Eurostar to Paris, from there fly to Naples, train it through Rome and up to Venice, then bus to Croatia, rent a car to Dubrovnik, drop if off there, bus to Tiran (you won't be allowed to drive your rental car in Albania) and then probably fly out of Athens back to Reykjavik for the return flight.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It also has more to do with how far in advance you book.

We went Milan -> Paris on the TGV for like $80 a few weeks back because I booked it 2 months early. Flights, including transport to get to/from airports, were definitely more expensive than that. Like with everything, look at all the options, but more importantly keep your mind open.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As a :siren: woman :siren: who has travelled extensively in Europe yeah I have never been groped on a train or subway or ever felt unsafe on them.

I find usually those stories tend to come from people who get to like Paris and find out there's more black people than they expected and it's scary!!!!!!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
People in Rome check you out a lot (my husband and I always tell the story of the checkout dude at our local grocery store who would always openly flirt with me despite my husband always being right there) but I was never groped there at all. And I took a LOT of busses and metros.

I've never been to Turkey though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You're making me jealous, I wanted to add a few days in Istanbul to my trip to the Balkans but didn't have time, had to be back home on a deadline.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
On the other hand it can be a great way to get over a fear of flying; I once flew YVR ->AKL -> ZQN -> BNE -> CBR -> ZQN -> BNE -> ZQN -> AKL -> YVR over the course of about three weeks and towards the end of it I was just too tired to be afraid. When I next got on a plane a year later, all my fear was gone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You've obviously never been to LAX.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sellouts posted:

Lax is great. Tom Bradley terminal has good food. They have security side access from T4. T6 is also connected via t4 all without leaving security. Aside from southwest and early mornings security, especially pre check, is awesome. Also almost never weather delays. And uberx pickups and drop offs are easy.

You've obviously never had to spend any time in the domestic terminals at all.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
A quick ITA matrix search shows $476pp with United/Alaska.

If you leave the 29th instead of the 30th you can do JetBlue for $425.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

electricHyena posted:

So I'm looking at RT flights from RDU -> FRA in December. I need to use Delta for reasons and everything has been around $1200. Today I realized that flights from JFK--> FRA (I'd be connecting thru JFK anyway) are only $600 RT. A RT flight to JFK from here is $166. So I'd be saving a ton by booking separate tickets -- in fact it seems almost too good to be true.

What are the drawbacks to this? I have enough time to allow for a long layover both ways just in case of delays, etc. It's a huge hassle to retrieve bags and then go through security/ check in again at JFK but it's definitely worth the savings.

Is there a possibility that when I check in here at RDU that they would check our bags all the way to FRA even though the tickets are separate?

The only drawback is that if you end up with a ridiculously long delay in RDU for whatever reason and miss your flight you're SOL.

No, there is virtually zero chance that they will check your bags all the way to FRA.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Looking to head to Hamburg, Germany between 27 Dec and returning on 3 Jan.

SAS is looking to be the cheapest (minus LOT which lol no thanks, unless anyone can refute a few hundred lovely reviews found online) at $854 with one stop either way (Copenhagen, Stockholm). Anything I'm missing? Any others doing this run for cheaper?

Edit: And should I wait any longer to book it or jump at it now? We're at the 70ish day mark here today.

If you want people to find you a cheaper price you might want to tell them where you're starting from.

Honestly though if you're happy with the price, book it now. Don't play roulette with international airfare prices. SAS is a good airline, I flew them a few days ago, and got very good service when LAX ground crew lost my skis for a couple days. Their planes to go intra-Europe are old and lovely, but who cares since it's for like an hour. The plane we took internationally had an amazing cabin. I didn't see the economy cabin, but the whole thing was nice and new and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Expedia can gently caress off since one time I booked tickets through them that guaranteed one piece of checked luggage included and I got to the airport and had to pay an extra $120 because it turned out that wasn't true at all.