Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
D'awww, that final cutscene last time is so sweeeeet! JRPGs aren't usually my thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this... Keep it up, Lethemonster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You are in for quite a ride.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Ometeotl posted:

You are in for quite a ride.

If this intro is anything to go by? Yes, I quite clearly am!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta say, I'm glad you're not doing the side quests. Reading those burnt me out on the rest of the thread so I can only imagine how harsh it must have been for you.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Volume posted:

Gotta say, I'm glad you're not doing the side quests. Reading those burnt me out on the rest of the thread so I can only imagine how harsh it must have been for you.

Little bit soul destroying. I will be covering interesting ones but a) they won't be integral to understand the game/lp and you can just ignore them and b) I will be doing something very different when they do get covered in video format. I have the other two games in the 'Operation Rainfall' trilogy and will be threading them through the LP as well when there is lots of downtime.

I'm hoping I'll be better at condensing things down and getting to the point more now. I went and read some snazzy SSLPs to see how JRPGs were presented coherently but concisely.I want to do a bit of SS stuff because I like being able to post updates where I don't have to fight hearing problems before I post it. On my past couple of updates I have actually been looking at the spectra of my commentary and checking that the frequencies I can't hear are all present and correct.

So for anyone wondering why I get feedback in the thread on sound quality rather than running it through the sandcastle loads it's because I can't hear different things and have to fix things on the fly when I find out other people can't hear them!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm pretty psyched for this LP because I can't find a copy of this to buy for less than like, a hundred bucks :smith:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ooh how did I miss this thread for three days? I've been anxiously awaiting it ever since the last one ended!

I love this game. I picked it up back when it was first released in NA, on the strength of the effusive praise of folks in the Games thread (and Lethe's last LP).

I do not regret my purchase one bit, nor the 170 or so hours I sunk into it. Nope. Not a bit. It's just such a great game, but it's a shame I can't tell people to run out and buy it right now because... you know... limited print run and all that.

I really hope Nintendo releases it on the eShop. This game deserves to be played by as many people as possible!

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I liked this game, but I got burnt out. It just felt like I never got any closer to end even after 60 hours. I guess my tastes have changed towards shorter games these days. It will be nice to see how it ends.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAuF3JRZ1g4

Updates will take a teensy bit of extra time to come through because I now have to go in and fadein/out music over the sped up parts, but goddamn am I tempted to put up cutscene videos at double speed.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Lethemonster posted:

Oh my god

Updates will take a teensy bit of extra time to come through because I now have to go in and fadein/out music over the sped up parts, but goddamn am I tempted to put up cutscene videos at double speed.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chip & Dale: Mechon Rangers

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

Oh my god

Reyn time is apparently 5X normal time. :v:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Update!

Prologue 1 - 3 Youtube Polsy

For viewers of the previous thread: did you like the way I made the links images and so on before? I thought they were kindof pretty but it was effort, so if people didn't notice or there was something annoying with them I'll leave links as they are. I just feel I should have something to spruce the thread up a bit.

Like potted plants, or pretty image links.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 25, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I would not be opposed if every update image link were accompanied by a picture of a random nopon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If it's not too much of a pain, images would be nice. I liked the ones you did in the last thread. Not a big deal if you don't want to, though.

I'm gonna gush a bit, if that's ok.

I love all the time-saving features in this game. The quest auto-complete is awesome and I sorely miss it in other games. Other things I like: getting EXP for exploring. I like exploring, especially in this game. I can't count the number of times I picked up a few quests, wandered around for a few hours, and picked up some more. Nice that the game rewards you for doing that. In the last video you got two level ups just from running around, and in this one you levelled up as soon as you entered battle! Love it.

Also I love that your health regenerates automatically outside of battle. No more getting stuck on low health, frantically dodging enemies trying to get back to the inn or whatnot. Seriously, this game has spoiled me real, real bad to the point where I have difficulty playing some other JRPGs.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lethemonster posted:

Update!

For viewers of the previous thread: did you like the way I made the links images and so on before? I thought they were kindof pretty but it was effort, so if people didn't notice or there was something annoying with them I'll leave links as they are. I just feel I should have something to spruce the thread up a bit.

They were pretty but honestly not having them isn't going to negatively impact the LP. I'd rather you didn't do them and put all your effort into the LP than you doing them and burning your self out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A banner is nice to make update posts stand out, but it's fine if you just use the same image each time with different text overlaid on it.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Can you re-use the images from the last thread? I don't have archives so I don't know whether it would work or if they have text that wouldn't fit for this edition.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I didn't quite realize how many time saving features this game had. This may actually be a JRPG I could get through then as it tends to be the prospect of a grind and tedious questing. I only really played up until you get to the town so I probably didn't give it enough of a chance but at the time I wasn't exactly looking for a big game to play.

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012
Excellent, I've been hoping for an LP of this game. Best part will be seeing the thread's reactions to the wild ride we're in for. Nth-ing the time-saving mechanics too. I dumped over 150 hours reaching the level cap/general completionism and it never really felt all that tedious or grindy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Having a small image for a section or chapter of the game would be fine. Don't work too hard on those kinds of things. The game sells itself and he work you put into the videos is more than enough to get people to watch.

Thank God you're not doing the sidequests. You were clearly a bit burnt out doing them last time.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I am dying horrendously and don't know if I'll live / get better within the next few days. I uploaded the bare video because alot of it speaks for itself. For now, anyway. I will be uploaded a commentated one when I can talk again without making a high pitch 'Meeeeeeeeeegh' noise. I have also made visible the original update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgdth6XWGko

Polsy Version

I have been trying to doodle some nopon for my update posts, since there are surprisingly few pictures of them available. It's... terrifying. I'm drawing small blobs whose eyes seem to lead into the depths of hell.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 30, 2013

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
While everyone is waiting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPUrlFsxbr0

...They can take our dance apples, but they can't take OUR FREEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lethemonster posted:

Update!

You mean like the image in the OP where it it's like you're putting new links onto a blank image? You don't have to do it, but I like that, and it actually inspired me to do the same thing for my eventual LP of Original Sin... And come to think of it, maybe Dragon Commander as well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, Reyn Time.

Enjoyed this the first attempt around, and I'm hoping you can make it further in this time around.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Video 1-4's audio only comes out of the left-hand speaker. Did you record that with the jack not in all the way?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Video 1-4's audio only comes out of the left-hand speaker. Did you record that with the jack not in all the way?

No it's just written in the necronomicon that if I upload any video without an audio issue a tear will be ripped between universes and poo poo will happen.

Actually my audio is all recorded wonky for the first session for some reason and I normally just merge everything down to mono once commentary is added so no one ever knows!

Watch this post: I will add in the links to the new update when it's finished updating this evening rather than double posting. I semi fixed my microphone and no longer have flu. I have discovered that if I record with my right hand over my laptop's touchpad, my recording sounds amazing. I'm not going to question it and just going to hope I don't have to progressively put more and more body parts on my keyboard to get it to record this well until I'm found one day squatting over it like some LP Gollum coughing my name over game footage.

Edit: Update!

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Was that the vain caterpillar?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I didn't really follow this thread last time because I still hadn't completed the game then and it was getting close to where I was, but having finished it a few months ago I'll definitely be following the thread now. This game is so good and I need to see some people's first reactions to some of the things that happen in this game.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Oh hey, jrpg protagonist who's at least trying to use his brains. I like that.

But why would mechanical creatures eat people?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yay, poo poo is getting real! :allears: I can't wait to see more.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Got a bundle of notes saying people are just waiting for it to catch up to where we were last time. I'm going to tightening up the videos and powering through for a bit to get back to where I was.

Also tried a different balance between the background noise and commentary on this one because peeps were asking to here more of the battle chat.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Lookin good so far Lethe, this is one of my favorite games in the past few years and I'm excited to see other people's reactions to it :3:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Ugh this game is so good. I stopped playing about 20 hours in though so I think I'll pick it up again when you get to where I left off.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Heart to Hearts are unique conversations between different pairs of characters that are only accessible when they reach a certain ‘affinity’ for one another. You learn more about the characters and can also further increase their affinity by viewing them and choosing the correct dialogue options.

In one of the first updates Fiora went to deliver Shulk some lunch. I missed out a little heart to heart between them, held overlooking the colony. It gives us a bit more insight into their childhood together.

You remember that time we watched the sun rise, right here? It was when we were quite young.

Yeah, I remember. We came because…

There are ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ answers in each one, but they don’t really penalize you. Rather they lead to different dialogues.
I’ll be going for either the funny ones, or the more ‘in character’ ones across the LP.

If you choose options that make the other character happy big pink heartshaped balls appear on the screen that are really hard to screenshot properly.

Yeah. It wasn’t pretty. Really it has nothing to do with you, but I still dragged you out and made you stay up all night.

I’m glad we did it, even though it was only that one time. We talked for hours and hours about all our hopes and dreams…
And then you fell asleep on my arm as we looked up at the stars.

Oh Shulk! I have this terrible feeling I said something really embarrassing. Like I wanted to get married?

Umm, Shulk? You don’t remember what I said back then?

Umm, did I? I guess I might have said that, but I’m talking about something else.

No, you definitely said you wanted us to all go fishing! So we went the next day.
You, me and Reyn. You caught the biggest fish! I’ll never forget the size of it.

Oh yeah. I remember now. Yeah, it was fun. We had a great time, didn’t we?

Ha! Screenshotted one of the PINK SQUISHED BALL-SHAPES.

Shulk, you’ve completely forgotten! I just hope you do remember one day...

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 5, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, I'm lovin' the Heart to Heart updates already.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This music. :cry::hf::black101:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

*dramatic music swells* ...oh, we've run out of cutscene *cuts off abruptly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU