Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Sindai posted:

I really like the character designs on the Machina, robo-heels aside.

I kind of wish they were the protagonists.

Yea, I was really hoping we'd get a Machina/Mechon party member when playing through this. I guess Fiora's close, but it would've been cool to get a full Machina instead of or in addition to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Slur posted:

That, and the Monado being brought up in every other sentence.

The moral of the story tends to be "revenge is okay, so long as you're directing it in the right place."

Wait, what? This is pretty much the opposite of the game's actual moral. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with a different game about an anime man who's out for revenge/vengeance who slices robots in half with his magical cut-anything science-sword?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Lethemonster posted:

This episode has no commentary because there's only 30 seconds of not-exposition.

It does have an awful jump cut I thought you guys would love!

I really appreciate the fact that Reyn spontaneously lost all his clothes for this one. :allears:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Yeah, Linada would be a kick-rear end party member. Let's leave Sharla here to tend to the Machina in her place, maybe they will buy the "healing bullets" spiel.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JT Jag posted:

This entire game's plot is just cycles of revenge all the way down, isn't it?

Microcline posted:

Wait, what? This is pretty much the opposite of the game's actual moral. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with a different game about an anime man who's out for revenge/vengeance who slices robots in half with his magical cut-anything science-sword?

I think what we're seeing here, and what the party is seeing, is what happens when you take revenge too far. The Bionis once attacked Mechonis, much like the Mechonis is invading the Bionis now. Egil seeks revenge upon all life on the Bionis. It would be easy, far too easy, for the party to come to the same conclusion and want to wipe out the Machina and all life on the Mechonis as well. But Shulk sees this, and instead has sympathy for Egil, because he can see how easily he and Reyn could have become him. Or, perhaps he realizes that if he swore revenge on all life on Mechonis, he'd have to kill Fiora too. It's put things into perspective for him.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
What the gently caress is Sharla wearing?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And why isn't Reyn wearing anything?

Maybe he thought the Machina are technically kind of naked, and wanted to fit in.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Lethemonster, my request is that in your next update everybody gets naked

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I've actually recorded a few hours a head of whatever update I'm posting and normally forgotten what's happened by the time it goes up.

So I'm just as amused as you guys when people turn up in their pants and wigs in cutscenes :D

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I always thought it was a touch weird that Shulk decided to get to the bottom of understanding Egil. I mean he is a scientist and an idealist, so he's going want to find permanent answers instead of just treating the obvious source (especially since his personal driving stake for revenge just undid itself to an extent), but Egil is sort of a massive serial war criminal whose own people are like "that dude is crazy, for Meyneth's sake kill the fucker". Hell, even Mumkhar I can sort of buy because Shulk wanted to find a solution other than killing innocent people in the face mechon (maybe he thought the dude was brainwashed like literally every other face mechon pilot) and he figured that if he started now what's to stop them before they do in Fiora.

To the games credit though they disguise it well enough and make it believable for Shulk. It wasn't until a heart-to-heart after the fact that I realized "oh yeah, he's kind of literally Satan to the people of bionis".

e: aw man, when did this get here?
e2: Oh, it's just the "Stupid Newbie" thing redone. For a minute I thought someone had bought me a rather insulting avatar.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 19, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ManlyGrunting posted:

I always thought it was a touch weird that Shulk decided to get to the bottom of understanding Egil. I mean he is a scientist and an idealist, so he's going want to find permanent answers instead of just treating the obvious source (especially since his personal driving stake for revenge just undid itself to an extent), but Egil is sort of a massive serial war criminal whose own people are like "that dude is crazy, for Meyneth's sake kill the fucker". Hell, even Mumkhar I can sort of buy because Shulk wanted to find a solution other than killing innocent people in the face mechon (maybe he thought the dude was brainwashed like literally every other face mechon pilot) and he figured that if he started now what's to stop them before they do in Fiora.

To the games credit though they disguise it well enough and make it believable for Shulk. It wasn't until a heart-to-heart after the fact that I realized "oh yeah, he's kind of literally Satan to the people of bionis".

Really, I think Shulk can relate. I mean, back when he first got the Monado he probably envisioned himself cutting a hydraulic-fluidy swath through Mechonis. Egil similarly has the power to wreck Bionis and probably watched at least one childhood friend he was sweet on die horribly. It's just that Shulk's power can't lash out at the people trying to talk him down, but Egil has no such restrictions, given what the Mechon are doing to this village.

Egil is constantly at or below the worst place Shulk ever went, and he can't get out. Even given what he's doing, that's a reason to feel for him a lot more than someone just going BEEP BOOP EXECUTE BIONIS.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, you're right. I guess I just figured that it strained the limits of Shulk's good character a little, but he was always about permanent solutions and had doubts as early as Satorl Marsh. And as the next few videos will show, they do a good job of making his thought process believable.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I think we are talking a bit too much from the perspective of 'oh yes I've seen all this'. There are quite a few people watching who've never played the game, although they may not post much. (Probably because people are posting about what's about the come up a lot). I mean, we've seen about two seconds of Egil and the thread has given him more character than what we've seen.

Let's try and keep it more to what happened in the videos so far, there's a hell of a lot of characterization and world design etc that's already been seen that we can chat about.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I've never played the game, but the spoilers don't bother me too much because I see the videos on youtube first and then come to this thread. Others may have different reactions.

One question I have is: do non-homs get turned in to faced mechon? Is there a mechon-rikki out there?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Heffer posted:

One question I have is: do non-homs get turned in to faced mechon? Is there a mechon-rikki out there?

I dunno if that's a spoiler, so I PMed you a reply.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Heffer posted:

I've never played the game, but the spoilers don't bother me too much because I see the videos on youtube first and then come to this thread. Others may have different reactions.

I've just had a few PMs on here and a number of people messaging me on youtube who don't peak at the thread because they think its not for people new to the game.

It's difficult - I love seeing people chat about the game because it's great and crazy. I don't want people who haven't played it to feel left out until they know the entire plot, but I also don't want everyone else to shut up :S

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I really appreciate the fact that Reyn spontaneously lost all his clothes for this one. :allears:
I couldn't stop laughing and had to take a break from the video to react here before going back.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

What the gently caress is Sharla wearing?
The best goddamn outfit :allears:
SO MANY COLORS. She wants to attract a mate, clearly.
Now is your chance, Reyn!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

It's difficult - I love seeing people chat about the game because it's great and crazy. I don't want people who haven't played it to feel left out until they know the entire plot, but I also don't want everyone else to shut up :S

Yeah, I'd be more chatty myself if I wasn't worried about accidentally spoiling something.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, I'd be more chatty myself if I wasn't worried about accidentally spoiling something.

Eh, does the news about what Shulk's doing now count as spoilers? Because it's the only thing I know about Shulk outside of what you've shown in the LP.

I enjoy all the chatting too. But I initially thought that the costumes were just aesthetic on the characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The best way to react to someone saying spoilers is to not react in this thread. If you don't call attention to them, then no one knows what's actually a spoiler or speculation.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I just hope that somebody gets married at some point so that the thread title can be changed to "It's like Reyn on Your Wedding Day".

And when does the patented Xeno-series mindfuck start? I mean, thus far the plot has been more-or-less comprehensible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Sandman posted:

And when does the patented Xeno-series mindfuck start? I mean, thus far the plot has been more-or-less comprehensible.

You'll know. You can't miss it.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

You'll know. You can't miss it.

This is the only game I've played by these guys so the amazing twists in the plot were completely unexpected for me. It gets so crazy but stays so fun.

Exams finish on Tuesday and I have a nice bundle of plot ready for you guys. Yay!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, uh...
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/shulk.html

Shulk for Smash 4!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Check. It. Out.

hell yeah

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^beaten, and with pictures too

Ha. And they even have Shulk's swimsuit as an alternate costume. That's welcome news. Good thing a friend of mine recently purchased a Wii U.

Sally fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 29, 2014

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I'm super excited for Metal Face as a stage boss. That whole trailer is great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That's not all! Xenoblade's also getting a 3DS port.

Man, Nintendo of America may absolutely hate Xenoblade, but Nintendo HQ sure does love it right now.

Edit: Holy gently caress! Riki and Dunban assist trophies! :woop:

Between this, Hyrule Warriors and XBCX, I might actually have to buy a drat Wii U now.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 29, 2014

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Swimsuit Shulk is going to be my main and nothin' and nobody will get me to change.

Unless Marth also gets a swimsuit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I hope his final smash is Reyn Time, and involves everyone's favourite lunkhead

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blind Sally posted:

I hope his final smash is Reyn Time, and involves everyone's favourite lunkhead
all the other SSB characters get fancy lasers and magic sparkles, Shulk just has Reyn rush in and wreck some faces :black101:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

From the looks of the trailer, Shulk's final might be Dunban and Riki in a chain attack with him ending with a Monado buster.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I didn't think I could find a better Smash Bros pic than King Dedede being all smug while uppercutting someone. Then I found this:

SAKURAAAAAAIIII

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm waiting patiently for the remix to Gaur plains they used becomes available in its entirety... And then that guy does the extended version.

Who am I kidding. I'm not waiting patiently. I want Electric Guitar Gaur Plains NOW

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I want to Dolphin this then I will need a pc-compatible gamecube and/or Wii controller, right?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

If I want to Dolphin this then I will need a pc-compatible gamecube and/or Wii controller, right?

For future questions, the Dolphin thread is here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423255

but the general answer is that you don't need a matching controller. Emulation can map any kind of input, so you can even play with a keyboard if you don't mind the discomfort. However, most people have a 360 controller as it plugs into a USB slot and covers most controller layouts of the past 25 years. Things get more complicated if you want to use motion controls comfortably, but Xenoblade is 100% waggle-free.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I have no idea how they are going to fit this game on an iddy biddy handheld screen. But I can't wait to see them try!

Edit: It's only going to run on a new 3DS that has a more powerful CPU. My less than a year old handheld is now obselete. Nintendo can gently caress right off.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 8, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What was that Melia was wearing at the start? For a few moments she looked like she was wearing something like Fiora's mechon bodysuit. Now that you can get more Anti-Mechon gear in the village, will you be switching the party up a bit?

If you'd walked just a little bit inland from the Piezoelectric unit, you would have found a landmark. Now if you ever want to go back to that beach you'll have to walk all the way again.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Dickson is still the best pirate grandad ever. It does give a lot of credence as to HOW the Homs forces were not getting entirely slaughtered at The Battle of Sword Valley, even if he didn't figure out that anti-mechon weaponry part until not long ago. And now he's actually going to finish the job, with the other people who SHOULD have showed up.

It's always interesting to see friendships formed over a common enemy that is literally trying to wipe you out of existence.

In unrelated news, currently setting my laptop on fire to post some basic pictures from the opening of the game. New build, new release (maybe older than expected, but a lot newer than the last one I had), and I think people might enjoy seeing what the game looks like without the limitations of the Wii hardware. With or without the HD Project. It's...something beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Lethemonster posted:

I have no idea how they are going to fit this game on an iddy biddy handheld screen. But I can't wait to see them try!

Edit: It's only going to run on a new 3DS that has a more powerful CPU. My less than a year old handheld is now obselete. Nintendo can gently caress right off.

As a fellow 3DS owner, I feel your pain. One game is not enough to sell me on a $200 upgrade and the confusion caused by this new system is not going to bode well for the brand from what I've read.

• Locked thread