Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Edit: There was a post here. It's gone now. Taking it to the Dolphin thread. :(

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

mastersord posted:

As a fellow 3DS owner, I feel your pain. One game is not enough to sell me on a $200 upgrade and the confusion caused by this new system is not going to bode well for the brand from what I've read.

Since the New 3DS has not been officially revealed in the west yet, I don't think we know it'll still be called the "New 3DS." The XL is called the LL in Japan, after all.

As to the system itself... well then just don't get one, I guess? Personally, my XL will probably be 2 years old, or nearly so by the time the New one comes out. I'm not to keen on the default colors, but if they release a nice special edition I'll snap one up. Handheld Xenoblade sounds awesome to me! Imagine a special edition Xenoblade New 3DS with the Monado on it! :swoon:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Now watch as they don't release the Xenoblade port in the US.

Having said that, if they do release it here, I guess I'll finally have to bite the bullet and get a new handheld to replace my old DS Fat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Now watch as they don't release the Xenoblade port in the US.

Having said that, if they do release it here, I guess I'll finally have to bite the bullet and get a new handheld to replace my old DS Fat.

Of course it won't come out in NA. Reggie visibly sighs in frustration every time anyone mentions Xenoblade in interviews with him. It took a massive outcry just to get a limited run co-publication with Gamestop.

Dude probably punt kicked an intern reflexively when the Shulk SSB trailer dropped.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Of course it won't come out in NA. Reggie visibly sighs in frustration every time anyone mentions Xenoblade in interviews with him. It took a massive outcry just to get a limited run co-publication with Gamestop.

Sad, but probably true. At least we still have the original game, right? Unless they actually have really stopped making it for good for NA, in which case my condolences. Is the PAL version still being produced, as a viable alternative if that sort of thing actually happens?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Faust IX posted:

Sad, but probably true. At least we still have the original game, right? Unless they actually have really stopped making it for good for NA, in which case my condolences. Is the PAL version still being produced, as a viable alternative if that sort of thing actually happens?

They did a second equally limited run under the same conditions, but now the best you can do at finding an NTSC copy of Xenoblade is a $90 used copy at Gamestop, if you're insanely lucky.

I bought a PAL copy from the UK back when it looked like it was never coming to North America and modded my Wii to play it and never once regretted it.

In fact, it actually cost me less after shipping and import taxes than it would have cost to buy it retail here in :canada:. I was incredibly surprised.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

More Xenoblade is never a bad thing.

I must have more RPGs voiced by Brits, Irelanders and Scots.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 9, 2014

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I must have more RPGs voiced by Brits.

The thing I don't understand is how some people hate the voice acting. I guess its a subs versus dubs sort of thing, but some hate it so vehemently they do really convoluted things to work around it on the NTSC-U Xenoblade HD Project. Seriously, just change the voices in-game. It shouldn't require something like 8 steps that you have to do over again every time you load Dolphin.

And come on, you couldn't ask for a better voice for Dunban and all of his awesome lines. Especially the :smug: ones.

Edit: One caveat to the Japanese voices is that you have to start from the very beginning of the game all over again on a new save.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 9, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Faust IX posted:

The thing I don't understand is how some people hate the voice acting. I guess its a subs versus dubs sort of thing, but some hate it so vehemently they do really convoluted things to work around it on the NTSC-U Xenoblade HD Project. Seriously, just change the voices in-game. It shouldn't require something like 8 steps that you have to do over again every time you load Dolphin.

And come on, you couldn't ask for a better voice for Dunban and all of his awesome lines. Especially the :smug: ones.

Edit: One caveat to the Japanese voices is that you have to start from the very beginning of the game all over again on a new save.

How can they hate 'IT'S REYN TIME'
And Dunban, and Riki, and Melia, and Sharla, and Shulk, and Mumkhar etc etc

It peeves me more than it should.
The game wouldn't be half as prolific without the unique localisation it got.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Edit: Ugh. My apologies. Removed.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 10, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Dude probably punt kicked an intern reflexively when the Shulk SSB trailer dropped.

Actually it probably will. So far it's the only title announced for the new model, and unless they start announcing more Wii ports or new games for it in the next six months, they're gonna need something to sell alongside it in the US/EU.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Edit: Nothing to see here. Back to your regularly scheduled LP.

Sorry about that. :(

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2014

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Take all this to the actual xenoblade chronicles thread please and don't post spoilers. It's not really relevant to the LP specifically. Massive posts about dolphin and riffling through the game files with 'do this or there's spoilers in these bits!' is a bit of a pain.

Silver Falcon posted:

As to the system itself... well then just don't get one, I guess?

Well, I can't buy another one anyway because I'm all poor and stuff. I bought a 3DS on the assurance from their marketing and previous handheld experience that it was going to last me more than two years before they released a new version with non-backwards compatible games. I spent a couple of hundred pounds secure - at the time - in the knowledge that it was a long term investment.

It's not about getting a shiney new one, it's the current one being made redundant soon :(

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How can they hate 'IT'S REYN TIME'
And Dunban, and Riki, and Melia, and Sharla, and Shulk, and Mumkhar etc etc

It peeves me more than it should.
The game wouldn't be half as prolific without the unique localisation it got.

I tried the japanese voice acting in this game but every single female character is just a screechy mess. I don't understand why people rate the JP VA so much in games when anytime a woman/girl turns up on screen she's talking in an unnaturally high pitch and being deliberately 'girly'. It's such a grating noise. I had to mute the trailer for Xenoblade X.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'd be upset if I had bought a new console that was quickly outdated too. Which is why I only ever buy used. Well, that and poverty.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Well, I can't buy another one anyway because I'm all poor and stuff. I bought a 3DS on the assurance from their marketing and previous handheld experience that it was going to last me more than two years before they released a new version with non-backwards compatible games. I spent a couple of hundred pounds secure - at the time - in the knowledge that it was a long term investment.

It's not about getting a shiney new one, it's the current one being made redundant soon :(

Well, for one it isn't going to come anywhere outside Japan until well into next year. For two, it's more of a DSi situation where only a few games will be exclusive to it. Thus far, Xenoblade is the only one confirmed to only work on the New 3DS. All other games will still work on both as normal. Best thing to do would be to save your pence until there's a special edition/bundle you like or a nice sale. Or just wait a couple more years for the actual next-gen handheld and just get one of those.

quote:

I tried the japanese voice acting in this game but every single female character is just a screechy mess. I don't understand why people rate the JP VA so much in games when anytime a woman/girl turns up on screen she's talking in an unnaturally high pitch and being deliberately 'girly'. It's such a grating noise. I had to mute the trailer for Xenoblade X.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who thinks this! I can't stand screechy Japanese lady voices. And they're all ridiculously screechy. I really, really don't get why people hold Original Japanese Voice Acting in such high regard.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There's a certain appeal to listening to a language you don't actually understand, since then you can focus more on the actual sound of the words rather than the meaning.

Personally, I occasionally like that sort of thing in music (since it lets me treat vocals as being like another instrument making pleasant noise, rather than something I should listen to and understand), but have never really been too into it as far as anything where I do in fact want to know what they're saying. Like games. Since then that obligates me to read subtitles rather than letting my ears do the work. Unless the English voice acting is horrendously bad, I almost always go with that.

And yeah, there are times when there's no voice acting at all, or there's no option for English voice acting, and I'm happy to read in those times. I just can't really bring myself to opt out of the option to simply hear something though.

ktimekiller
Jan 9, 2012
Slightly off topic but I would like to mention that Nier is one of those JPRGs that have superior English dubs over the Japanese VAs in my opinion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ktimekiller posted:

Slightly off topic but I would like to mention that Nier is one of those JPRGs that have superior English dubs over the Japanese VAs in my opinion.

A surprising number of JRPGs are like that. I had to play through the Japanese version of White Knight Chronicles for something for my LP and the Japanese version is dead bland compared to the English version, and the English version isn't all that great either.

Chalk me up as another person who can't picture the game in anything but the British-est of English. I can't pronounce Monado without mangling into like how Mumkhar or Xord say it, "DAH MANAAHDOH?!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I really wonder what Dickson's been doing all this time. Running supplies to the Machina? I wouldn't put it past him.

Also, that is some nasty memory restructuring.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

A surprising number of JRPGs are like that. I had to play through the Japanese version of White Knight Chronicles for something for my LP and the Japanese version is dead bland compared to the English version, and the English version isn't all that great either.

Chalk me up as another person who can't picture the game in anything but the British-est of English. I can't pronounce Monado without mangling into like how Mumkhar or Xord say it, "DAH MANAAHDOH?!"

There's huge groups of people out there who now think that London sounds like hundreds of Xord's wandering around.

Updates pending, just been too busy with my bodies continuing attempt to kill me.

I have no idea how you would pronounce Monado other than how they do ingame though :S

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
You say Monaydo, I say Monahdo.

Except nobody says Monaydo.

Unless it was, like, a Tornado of Moe.

Mo-nado.

<_<

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

I have no idea how you would pronounce Monado other than how they do ingame though :S

Pronounce the "a" with a short vowel sound instead of a long one?

Or, uh, "mow-nah-dough"?

Er, or "muh-nah-dough"?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Pronounce the "a" with a short vowel sound instead of a long one?

Or, uh, "mow-nah-dough"?

Er, or "muh-nah-dough"?

Well it's derived from "Monad" which is the first of all things figure in Gnosticism. That's pronounced "moan-add" with a Newscaster-American accent, so just slap an O on there and you're done. So probably your first guess.

I know, it sounds viscerally wrong to me, too. By the way gracious OP, would you mind the Fiora analysis after the next video, or would you prefer me to wait until she gets some more of her moves?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

Well it's derived from "Monad" which is the first of all things figure in Gnosticism. That's pronounced "moan-add" with a Newscaster-American accent, so just slap an O on there and you're done. So probably your first guess.

I know, it sounds viscerally wrong to me, too. By the way gracious OP, would you mind the Fiora analysis after the next video, or would you prefer me to wait until she gets some more of her moves?

Go for it. Someone has to inject some life into this thing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Monado is obviously pronounced like Monaco.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Or, if your from the southern part of the United States, "Min-ah-doe"
"Min-ah-der"
"Min-ah-duh"

And so on.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Even living around people who were from the American South might still give you the pin-pen merger. My father certainly has it (despite being a military brat) and I've occasionally done the same.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Oh my god, look at her bu- oh no wait I mean look it's an update!

It's also awful. I didn't want anyone to go into shock experiencing my fantastic LP abilities after such a long break.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That place looked like hell and I don't blame you one bit.

Also the party is getting all armchair philosophy-ey.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think my replay of the game stalled out here as well. In that case, though it was mostly because I was a bit overlevelled - It's been a while, but I think I'm like 10 levels higher than Lethe is right now, for example, and I was actually thinking about restarting from scratch, because being overlevelled made the fights somewhat boring, and that certainly doesn't help this area. I think that's a silly plan now though, and I'll likely just pick up the replay and continue onwards.

It is good that you plan to have Sharla in for her arc.

Also WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE REYN AND EVERYONE USING MACHINA WEAPONS. You've had access to them for a while, it's getting a bit ridiculous.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly? I really like Mechonis Field. I think its the aesthetics and the music that does it for me. All the giant rotating gears and pumping pistons help too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's a pity this area is so repetitive, because it looks like it had some real potential aesthetically.

Also, Shulk saying "Fear" over and over started to go into the realm of "comedy by overdose." Like everyone else was saying actual sentences and looking to him for a response and all they get was:

:geno:: "Fear."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, this area.

The editting was nice. You made it look far less insufferable than it actually is.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
At least the soundtrack was really rad in this section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p45gdP2OKmU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yeah I was going to comment on the music in this area, it threw me right back into the days when I played Phantasy Star Online on my Dreamcast.

edit: Especially when it hits 1:25 in Blind Sally's link of the music, goddamn.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

ATM I have a much higher damage output using my top weapons + enchant than I do using mechon weapons + enchant. I chopped and changed while I was running around but everything went a lot faster with the first set up.

The main problem with this area is that my sense of direction and ability to read maps is non existent. And I don't mean that in a 'If I really bothered it would be fine way' but a 'Me to maps: dyslexia to books'. This place has no unique or firm reference points to look at and move around. Coupled with having multiple pathways - which would otherwise be great - that are identical looking, I just found this area too tedious.

Luckily the whole of the Mechonis isn't like this. We'll be progressing into areas that have broader structures and better pathways through soon.

Honest to god that update is two hours of me running round going 'well where the gently caress am I now god why has everything respawned argh gently caress I've fallen off again someone get safety railings in here'.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I remember Mechonis Field being an annoying area, but I can forgive it because the music is so good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I remember nothing about this place, except the music. The music is really really good.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lethemonster posted:

ATM I have a much higher damage output using my top weapons + enchant than I do using mechon weapons + enchant. I chopped and changed while I was running around but everything went a lot faster with the first set up.

Fair enough. Except of course that requires you to have Shulk in your party, and control him, for the entirety of Mechonis. Shulk's a fine character to play as, but we have seen his playstyle a lot. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The only thing I remember about that place is that I played around with these threadmills a lot. And that the next area was really tedious. Well I has been 3 years now since I played this game.

• Locked thread