Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Just be aware that it won't drop chests if you do that, since the game counts it as a "suicide". Then again, that's what Yoink is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You forgot to mention Melia's ability to kick giant monsters off cliffs to make them die from fall damage.

Edit: Polsy link

Note that powerlevelling in this fashion will leave you behind the curve for AP and SP gains, so while it's effective in the short run, you end up worse off in the long run.

Vil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 19, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ManlyGrunting posted:

Speaking of, you may notice that Melia has two piddly-rear end physical arts. Individually they aren't good for a lot, but together they will force topple on any unlucky son of a bitch that can get toppled. Melia is a stone cold Steve Austin motherfucker and will straight up run up and wrestling kick a massive dinosaur and you best believe that bitch is going down. It is easily THE best forced topple in the game, and great for locking down enemies in massive chains.

Spear Break + Starlight Kick is phenomenal. It uses two of her art slots, but it's worth it for when you absolutely, positively need something knocked over right now. It's very reliable.

Melia is great at keeping up a constant stream of fire. Once you get into the groove of things, you can be summoning and discharging things constantly, and even take out high-level enemies through sheer damage.

Melia is fragile, but I offset that a bit by putting a couple HP+ gems on her. That can potentially lower her damage output, but it gives a pretty good boost in her survivability, which is important since you don't want her dying to stray attacks.

Wysp
Oct 30, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Spear Break + Starlight Kick is phenomenal. It uses two of her art slots, but it's worth it for when you absolutely, positively need something knocked over right now. It's very reliable.

It is also one of the best ways to initiate a topple lock strategy and start operation "stay the gently caress down" :getin:. Yes it's kinda cheap but drat it is great fun.

Melia is pretty fun to control and its a shame the AI can only seem to control her as a support/buffer hybrid, and not a very good one.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, I like how the intention for Melia's moveset was a silk-hiding-steel sort of characterization where she mostly stays in the background and can kick rear end when push comes to shove, but instead they made the world's poshest war god.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just fill her with Ether Ups and Electric Pluses. My general strategy is Wind -> Earth -> Lightning -> Discharge -> Copy -> Discharge -> Topple -> Repeat. If I'm using Dunban and Fiora, it's Wind -> Copy -> Earth -> Discharge -> Lightning -> Discharge -> Topple -> Repeat instead.

Melia is a goddamn beast, on par with Fiora. Considering Wind boosts agility, she goes well with two dodge-y characters to draw aggro. You have to make her your PC for her to be effective, but I consider that a net plus. Also, she's the least stupid looking of all the women!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Vil posted:

You forgot to mention Melia's ability to kick giant monsters off cliffs to make them die from fall damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBg1kP9CxXY

Note that powerlevelling in this fashion will leave you behind the curve for AP and SP gains, so while it's effective in the short run, you end up worse off in the long run.
Spoilers in related video titles on youtube though, so take care if you watch it there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Forgall posted:

Spoilers in related video titles on youtube though, so take care if you watch it there.

Good point. I edited my previous post to Polsy the link.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh, I think I forgot to mention one of Reyn's arts: War Swing, which attacks everyone around Reyn a few times. It's handy, but I prefer Lariat myself. Anyway, I'm going on vacation on Tuesday so I'll try and get Dunban and Sharla up by Monday.

\/\/ Well, learn something new every day

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 20, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Arts, when used as intended, boost the party gauge. The best part about War Swing is that when used as intended: with multiple enemies around, it boosts the party gauge tremendously because it hits several times. When used in a chain attack, this can sometimes lead to being able to perform a second chain immediately afterwards. Dunban's Soaring Tempest has a similar utility. In chain attacks, I make sure to use those arts on the first turn.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Alright, so let's talk about Sharla. Now, don't get me wrong, Sharla is an awesome party member (my appreciation for her shot up in the postgame because she tends to make fights against higher level enemies survivable without trial and error), but Lethemonster was right about one thing- it takes a while for her to become a decent party member and less of a human crutch. Part of the problem is her talent gauge, which goes up as you use arts and has to be cooled off, which means that Sharla can't do anything (this has screwed up many a chain attack), and you can't even use the drat thing in the middle of chain attacks and the AI tends to use it when overloaded, which makes the process take more than twice as long. Still, neat thing about it is that as the rifle is "cooler" and less full healing arts are more effective and vice versa for offensive arts (at zero heat the effectiveness is 100% and 125%, and at very hot it's 156% and 85% respectively), also cooling off regenerates Sharla's HP at a rate of 3% per second, apparently. So it's not all bad, but it is a serious nuisance. You can also "cheat" it by warning Sharla when you see a vision to artificially reset it, and in chain attacks it doesn't rise at all either. Sharla has three healing arts- Heal Bullet (one person, some HP depending on ether stat) Heal Blast (same, but way more health), and Heal Round (some, everybody). Recovery art gems are your friend when partnering Sharla with Reyn, since the cooldowns can be pretty severe. I tend to take two of the three. Sharla really shines with her other support arts though: Aura Bullet extends auras by ten seconds (this is really, really good for Fiora, Dunban and Reyn. I don't know if it extends Melia's Talent aura though), Heat Bullet ups tension, Heal Counter and Shield Bullet are great on tanks (shield bullet should be used early on so that they can draw aggro since it keeps them from taking damage but not more than 2500 or so at max level, and then Heal Counter should be used when they are at middling health to keep them in the game, since it lasts for a set number of hits rather than damage and therefore can be used to keep cooldown times manageable. Cure Bullet and Cure Round also clears one person/the team of debuffs and grants immunity, and one should be kept on hand at all times. So yeah, that's nine whole support arts, and I find that having somewhere between four and six of them is good for Sharla- she doesn't necissarily have to slow down combat, since things like Aura and Heat bullet make more aggressive characters more effective. Xenoblade battles are a matter of momentum- if you can overwhelm an enemy then great, but Sharla is designed to mitigate an enemy overwhelming you.

On the more offensive side of things, tranquilizer is good for keeping mobs manageable (which the AI actually uses it for, unlike Melia) and shattering visions, Metal Blast causes break in a straight line like Monado Buster and Head Shaker causes daze, though Sharla has to be in close (it comes out pretty fast though). Her real bread and butter for offense is in Headshot and Thunder Bullet- headshot is great in chain attacks since it's her only red art and does pretty great damage due to it's guaranteed crit chance (if you only need a single round of chain attacks headshot singlehandedly makes Sharla usable again, especially after you level it up to be more accurate, since chain attacks are far more accurate than normal and that level is only the first one in the intermediate level). Thunder Bullet is one of the more dependable ether arts outside of Melia's talent gauge stuff and has a pretty quick cooldown, only slightly more than Bone Upper (especially if you link Riki's cooldown reduction skills)- enough lightning up gems (the equivilent of a level 6 gem) also doubles its power, so it and headshot are very good at making Sharla pull her weight in the damage department.

Sharla also has two auras, and I feel that they each compliment a different role very well- covert stance reduces her aggro and keeps her from gaining more, so a squishier Sharla before she can wear heavy armour benefits from it a lot, since healing can draw quite a bit of aggro. Still, Drive Boost is my preference- she can;t move or auto attack, but her cooldowns shorten by a lot (a fully upgraded Thunder Bullet goes down to slightly over three seconds, which is just crazy), so if you want Sharla to do a lot in a short time (and if any party member can do a lot in a short time it;s Sharla), cool off, pop the aura and start saving the party. Sharla is not a bad party member, I cannot stress this enough. She's just very situational, very good for bosses with minions or a ton of HP and indispensable for some unique monsters. Sharla will get you through a situation alive, it's just a question of whether you need her to accomplish that. Make sure she has Thunder Bullet, Headshot, an Aura and a smattering of support skills and she can get you through monsters five or six levels higher than you with no problem.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like the contrast they're playing up here, between Shulk who thinks the Mechon are unilaterally the worst things in the universe, and Fiora, who is kind of enjoying her body that doesn't need food and the intelligence trapped inside her head that did her a solid.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, thanks for keeping me from double posting

Today we look at the Flamenco dancing sword wizard himself, Dunban. Dunban's strength is being dreamy on a Dante/Big Boss level :syoon:his ability to switch between tank and dps at a moment's whim- Dunban has the highest agility and lowest defense in the game, so it's best to equip him with light armour so he can dodge physicals and resist ether attacks. Dunban has a whopping 6 auras, more than anyone in the game (Reyn being a close second), and they each have a good purpose, though unlike Reyn they are clearly meant for contradictory roles. Jaws of Death are for when he is about to die, since it revives him if he dies with it active, Heat Haze removes all aggro and boosts his attack if you are playing him as a dps character, Serene Heart boosts his evasion and Spirit Breath gives him a massive haste boost- ie the frequency of his auto-attacks (perfect if you give him double attack or haste gems, since he also has a skill where double attacks are always crits, which he can make heal him with a bit of sidequesting and skill linking- this is crucial to making Fiora a tank. Haste also means getting his talent art faster), so they are both good auras no matter what you assign him to. Peerless draws aggro and boosts attack, making it the tank version of Heat Haze, and his Battle Eye gives him a Lock On while increasing his talent gauge for every attack he dodges. His talent art is a four hit combo that requires you to burst for each attack- powerful, but not what he's based around. Beyond that, if you are playing him as a tank Blinding Blossom is used to take aggro from another character and put it onto him, while final flicker works like battle soul and is useful if you are playing Dunban as a dps character with less aggro attached to him- which is totally fair, since his penultimate weapon assumes you are doing this (Dunban has ten "legendary blades" as weapons, the tenth of which is like this. Though the ninth is his best weapon since it has spare gem slots and is a nice slim sword, which works with him the best). His remaining arts are sort of combo based- gale slash lets a bunch of other arts do bonus effects if they are used directly after it- Electric Gutbuster inflicts break, Worldly Slash lowers defense as well as strength, Tempest Kick removes buffs (and is also a purple art, if you're playing with Riki, Sharla or Melia in your party). Gale Slash also inflicts bleed, so there is no reason not to have it on. Beyond that, Steel Strike is a fast topple attack that goes well with the GS/Electric Gutbuster combo, and there are ways to make Thunder (daze to everyone behind Dunban as long as he has an aura active ie as much time as possible) viable- Gale Slash goes through smaller enemies, but Tempest Kick also ends with Dunban facing away from an enemy, so a Tempest Kick/Thunder combo is very possible. Soaring Tempest works a lot like War Swing, and as Stabby pointed out this is a great way to build chain gauges. Dunban also learns an attack called Demon Slayer, which does a lot of damage and in the event of finishing an enemy with it forces topple on all other enemies, which helps with Dunban's inability to handle crowds as a tank as well as Reyn and can seriously murder poo poo as a dps character. Dunban is a great character for exploration as well as bosses, true to Xeno- game precedent for the veteran character being among the best. He can handle being a tank as well as a dps character, and both roles only involve a short deal of management from each other. He builds gauges, he's good in chain attacks, it's hard to make a party with Dunban that isn't good. And that isn't just my massive man-crush talking.

Dunban actually has fewer red arts than Riki, but his sheer quantity of colours means that you can get some mean multi-colour combos going with some white arts in the mix, and he can build up gauge almost as good as Shulk or Riki. His high agility also means that he's a bit less hands on as a tank since if he's dodging everything he's not losing aggro, though his lack of multi-hit attacks compared to Reyn means that crowds are going to be far messier to deal with, and he can be fragile if he hits above his weight- though stacking agility up on him will let him comfortably attack enemies five levels higher than himself. For Dunban I find that two or three auras, one green art, gale slash and a few follow ups does the job very nicely, with some room for experimentation depending on if you want him to be a dedicated tank or just sort of flit in and out of aggro, which can work rather well since most characters can take a few hits and technically every character as a method of healing themselves and/or others. (Dunban and Reyn with their auto-revival auras, Melia with aqua buff and healing gift, Riki's play dead gives him health alongside his You Can Do It heal and Fiora has an auto-heal aura).

e: by penultimate weapon, I mean that in Xenoblade towards the end game most characters have one or two weapons with non-removeable gems that are very good for them (for example Reyn has an agressive aggro based one and a more defensive one), whereas they have another with better stats with two or three empty gem slots that I think of as their best weapon.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 29, 2014

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Used to? You mean it doesn’t anymore?

But its seeds must have dispersed all the way here and taken root. Isn’t nature beautiful?

I do adore them. I like nothing more than finding new species on our travels. How about you, Dunban? Do you like flowers?

You do? This is... surprising. I didn’t get that impression from you at all.

Haha. And you think it’s wise to judge a book by its cover?

It’s just that I pride myself on being a good judge of character.

Fair enough. Well, it just so happens that you’re right. Flowers have never interested me. The reason is...

I see. Flowers are transient, so it is hard to get attached to them. As with soldiers in battle, death is always knocking.

You are very wise, Melia. To put it another way, I feel that loving a single flower is wrong. If we concentrate on one flower, the rest of the garden may be lost.

Which is most important, I do not know. So I give my attention to all. I started thinking about it like that in my younger days.

You see things very differently to me. It is most intriguing.

I intrigue you now? I’ll take that as a compliment.

Let's try this again, but changing our second answer.

You do not like their smell? Certainly some flowers have pungent smells, but not all.

I know what I like, and that doesn’t include flowers. A room’s natural smell can be overwhelmed by a flower’s odour.

I’m surprised at you, Dunban.

You’re a sharp one, Melia. I guess you’ve got me there.

Now onto the 2nd to last, changing our first answer:

I don’t get the impression that you dislike them all that strongly.

Haha. Maybe it’s just that you like them so strongly? You can’t imagine that someone might not like flowers at all.

That’s not what I meant. It’s just... If you hated flowers, you wouldn’t tread so carefully around them.

I’ve studied you all ever since we met.

Why Shulk? We were talking about you.

Yet you trust him implicitly. I just want to know why.

And I appreciate it, Melia. Even though I know I am second to another...

How dare you! I would never suggest that Shulk is first in my estimation!

And finally we give favourable responses both times, giving an alternate second answer.

A ruler must know his people. My father and brother taught me much about imperial duties. I never thought I would actually need those lessons... But I will certainly need them now.

: I learnt how to handle myself and communicate well with people.

Are you saying I lack people skills?

You only seem yourself around Riki and Shulk, if I might say. I wish you’d open up to the rest of us a bit more. We’ve all been through so much together on the battlefield.

Thank you, Dunban, for your frank comments. I will do my best to open up more.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

These take me goddamn hours to make and I have no idea why. I have the worse workflow and most useless brain. Here's some thoughts on this dialogue. I'm gearing up for exams so my reading and writing skills are out the window and temporarily replaced by hundreds of equations and chemical reactions.

This illustrates very well how Melia is different from the group specifically because of her life amongst the High Entia. A society that up until now kept itself isolated from the rest of the world and places great importance on being pure blooded. The queen figure / first consort – Melia’s ‘stepmother’ – saw Melia as an aberration in the line and tries to have her killed when she is to become the crown princess. When making public appearances she needs to wear a mask, and has spent her life living separately in a manor off to the side of the city.

She speaks in a way that greatly contrasts with the rest of the group, and all of them try to get her to loosen up a bit and be more natural around them.

Melia saying that people act like their true selves in public brings two main things under consideration. Firstly, what she considers public to be. This group, as Dunban says, has been through the deaths of mutual friends and family together and put their lives in each other’s hands countless times. They’ve seen the good sides of each other: trying to rescue those in need and giving their aid even to people better off than they are. They’ve seen the bad sides of each other: trying to kill other homs and becoming all encompassed by revenge and anger. These are a group of people as close as you can get now. They are a group travelling and fighting in private.

But to Melia, when other people are there it is public and she must behave and talk in certain ways. She never speaks of friends or activities from before. The closest she had to actual friends were her body guards who, although probably true friends to her, were there first and foremost to keep her safe. They would have had to follow certain protocols when interacting with her and keep to strict rules.

The second is that is shows Melia doesn’t understand that people act differently in private compared to in public. There’s rules for public behaviour to make it easier for large groups of different people to come together. People relax more in private and can be more themselves. Sit around in their pants scratching their bellies and burping while they make let’s plays.

In public Melia is kept at arms reach from everyone because she is half homs. She has no one to be private with because she is a princess. She has been groomed to be as acceptable as possible to her people so they like her enough to overlook her being a ‘half breed’. In the process she was taught to only act along those rules and regulations because that is what made her a worthy person and suitable successor. Part of that is acting happy, so her father and brother never noticed that they had isolated her and not left room for her to experience being a young woman.

Really Melia both over and underestimates herself. She notices something about Dunban her probably doesn’t notice because she has a keen awareness of people and her only way of getting to know people is to watch them carefully from afar. But then if she was that good at telling what people are really like the first consort wouldn’t have gotten away with trying to murder her.

Riki and Shulk bring out the real Melia for very simple reasons.

Riki is a Nopon and different in everyway from the group. Despite looking, acting and talking differently he is still happy among the other 6. The nopon are welcome amongst the high entia, so Melia has more, and more positive, experience with them. Probably because they allow the spread of trade and intelligence without any High Entia having to leave their cosy sky castle, and there’s no risk of cross breeding. (I hope)

Shulk has weird powers and visions that he feels responsible for and this unique responsibility causes him to try and isolate himself from the others. To shoulder burden alone. He’s also in a similar stage of development to Melia. The rest of the group are very secure in their roles in life. Melia and Shulk aren’t sure who or what they are yet. They’ve both experienced a tremendous loss and upheaval in their way of living. They both have explody magic powers.

In general they are both different in ways Melia can relate to. They also treat Melia in a very straightforward way. The others tend to defer to the fact she is royalty and a different species. Riki and Shulk never take note of the way she speaks to them or acts – they just take in what she means and feels, never prejudging or assuming.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gosh, when you put it that way, I really feel bad for Melia. :(

Best thing for her is to be around Riki more, clearly. :3:

Also, what is your workflow like for taking the screenshots? It shouldn't be taking you hours to do a few screenshots! I mean, it takes me hours to do an update for a SSLP, but that's closer to a hundred images!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Riki actually sympathetic to Melia, or just completely disrespectful but he's so cute it doesn't some across as mean-spirited?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Glazius posted:

Is Riki actually sympathetic to Melia, or just completely disrespectful but he's so cute it doesn't some across as mean-spirited?
Yes, he's nice to her. We'll see it pointed out explicitly much much later in the game, but they are for real friends.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

We'll actually see some of it in the next video update! Not only is Riki a dad but he isn't particularly liked by the place he hails from either, even though they still demand things of him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, ok, I'm gonna hold off on talking about Riki until that's up.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
It seems like for every step forward, the original goal of KILL EVERYTHING and REVENGEANCE (that mod idea for having Fiora in that game is too amazing of a mental image to not bring up) has gotten rewritten in one way or another as we went along the road. Sharla got us wanting to avenge the already destroyed Colony 6, to help bring reclaim and rebuild what the Mechon and Xord took from them. Melia showed us that there is a lot more going on in the grand scheme of things, almost an entirely different world away from our Homs colonists point of view, coupled with Riki, the Nopon, and the Makna Forest underneath the literal (self-proclaimed) capital of Bionis, Alcamoth. The death of The Emperor and the plot reveal on Prison Island cast a very foreboding tone for Valak Mountain, Sword Valley, and Galahad Fortress. Muhmkhar was right: How are you going to steel yourself to kill faces, knowing they may have Homs inside who you could know?

And then we got to the first happy moment in a long, long time with surviving that drop into the endless sea, washing up on the Fallen Arm, and not only knowing that Fiora is alive, but that she's back in action with those knives :unsmigghh:. They got the atmosphere right for the kiss, quite literally a Kiss of Life, bringing her back, now in a mechanical angelic body with wings. What lovely symbolism, and it's still probably my favorite setup for her, plus or minus the :kamina: shades. If only the creepy parts of the Speed Set weren't blatant fanservice/japan being japan. :(

ninegearcrow posted:

I once tried to hack human Fiora back into Mechon Fiora's place just because all her Mechon armours outside of her base set were poo poo to look at.

It broke the game.

Haha, I know exactly how you feel. They are two completely different characters, so Mechon Fiora isn't "Seven", she's technically "Eight", complete with a completely different Level slot (you will still be whatever level you were when Fiora got stabbed at the beginning of the game), Talent Tree, and Arts to her Mechon form, if we're going by party members that you can keep and play around with for more than one fight.

Someone mentioned you could switch out control to Dickson when Dunban joins you right after you beat up Xord and get ambushed by Metal Face, although he only has the same two attacks he had at the start of the game. What wasn't mentioned was you can switch Shulk out with Alvis when you learn Monado Purge and fight the Telethia as Alvis.

Alvis has the same control setup as Shulk in that fight, right down to the same type of sword that Shulk had at the beginning of the game, albeit a hell of a lot stronger, named Claymore. He also has a full set of light equipment labeled Seacle, which I can only guess is a portmanteau of Seer and Oracle. Clever.

So, why play as Alvis in that fight, other than to not play as Shulk, if it seems like he's basically the same character, minus the Monado and every art that Shulk has? It's kind of hard to explain since I can't find a video of it on youtube (please don't search, there are many spoilers), but Alvis has a similar Talent Art to pre-Monado Shulk's Turn Strike, that inflicts Break if it hits. He, like Dickson, only has two Arts, but unlike Dickson, they are loving insane. The Art you see the AI using in the fight normally is Cross Ray, a red Art that deals light physical damage with a pretty small cooldown. The Art you NEVER see the AI use in the fight under any circumstances is Lost Ray, which is a lot stronger than Reyn's Sword Drive, with a small enough cooldown to basically one-cycle the Telethia it hits so hard in a chain attack. I think that was where I got the achievement for dealing out an absurd amount of damage in one single chain attack, but hey, it was there, so why not use it?

It doesn't seem that Alvis or Dickson would be joining the party for good though, so if any of you are playing along at home, go try them out. When you're in the pre-fight setup, change characters like you would normally do, and just drag them into your active lineup. Just make sure you're the one controlling them, otherwise they tend to not behave (see AI on Melia and on Alvis, as stated above).

Hope you're doing better soon, lethemonster, looking forward to the rest of this wild ride. You even got me to reinstall the Xenoblade HD Project in Dolphin again, starting over on a new save. If any of you out there watching this LP have the means to do so, go ahead and set that up, because it removes the 480p limit and helps make everything shine like if the game got a proper 720p/1080p release. It takes a lot of processing power to do it, so please, keep an eye on your computer's temperature if you're running it at full resolution, because from first hand experience, there is a very real risk of a fire hazard from how intense the strain Dolphin and the HD Project put on your computer. (Previous computer got a proper viking funeral like that, not too far from where you are in the LP, lethe.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been playing through this myself recently, and I have to ask- how is it that Sharla the field medic could diagnose Melia as having Ether depletion, but not, somehow, catch that she is another species?

hawk16zz
Jan 11, 2012
Lovin' the redo of the LP, and you're just about where I stopped playing the first time (because I got easily distracted) which I actually started playing when you started the first LP. You're doing a great job. And I've since started a second playthrough which leads too...

Faust IX posted:

Hope you're doing better soon, lethemonster, looking forward to the rest of this wild ride. You even got me to reinstall the Xenoblade HD Project in Dolphin again, starting over on a new save. If any of you out there watching this LP have the means to do so, go ahead and set that up, because it removes the 480p limit and helps make everything shine like if the game got a proper 720p/1080p release. It takes a lot of processing power to do it, so please, keep an eye on your computer's temperature if you're running it at full resolution, because from first hand experience, there is a very real risk of a fire hazard from how intense the strain Dolphin and the HD Project put on your computer. (Previous computer got a proper viking funeral like that, not too far from where you are in the LP, lethe.)

The HD Retexture pack is amazing and I can't recommend it enough. If it wasn't for the small poly count for some things you would forget you were playing a Wii game. Anyone interested in it, here is the current thread. The thread itself has a bunch of spoilers but the OP itself is spoiler free, so don't journey past it if you don't want them. It has some screenshots showing off 1st hour to showcase the retexture and I took a couple comparison screenshots on the Bionis' Leg.

EDIT: If anyone wants a frame of reference on the specs of something that can run this, I'm running an i5-4570 stock and GTX 660 stock on 8GB of ram I'd say the main core used averages 60% use and spikes past 90% and my average over all four cores is around 40%. I sasy at max fps (30 for Xenoblade) 90+% of the time the main frame drop I get is switching out of the menu screens which is for all of a second then back to 30 all in borderless fullscreen. If I missed something you'd like to know about just ask I'd be happy to answer if I can and I'm sure Faust or other would also be happy to answer as well as long as it doesn't get too off topic-y.

YggiDee posted:

I've been playing through this myself recently, and I have to ask- how is it that Sharla the field medic could diagnose Melia as having Ether depletion, but not, somehow, catch that she is another species?

Melia is half-Homs after all.

Also Lethe, 3-6 either isn't in the OP or the images for it aren't loading for me.

hawk16zz fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 4, 2014

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

hawk16zz posted:

Lovin' the redo of the LP, and you're just about where I stopped playing the first time (because I got easily distracted) which I actually started playing when you started the first LP. You're doing a great job. And I've since started a second playthrough which leads too...

Also Lethe, 3-6 either isn't in the OP or the images for it aren't loading for me.

Aww gently caress that's going to be a real pain to fix. I err... will do it lazily, for now.

Edit: I hadn't made the mistake I though I had and now it's fixed. Thanks for noticing dude.

YggiDee posted:

I think it was more a coincidence. Sharla just want to shoot stuff into the air, and it happened to be correct. Actually I think Melia is supposed to be wearing a head covering, or it's supposed to look like a head piece to the others. I can't recall the exact dialogue, but I don't think anyone knows exactly what the High Entia are anymore or what they look like.

Silver Falcon posted:

Best thing for her is to be around Riki more, clearly. :3:

Also, what is your workflow like for taking the screenshots? It shouldn't be taking you hours to do a few screenshots! I mean, it takes me hours to do an update for a SSLP, but that's closer to a hundred images!

I am an easily distracted badly organised doofus. That is my process for everything.

I know I asked before what characters people wanted to see more of and so on, and we settled on Dunban first. I have been trying to collect a good amount of Dunban-centric quests and heart to hearts, but every drat thing I've managed to get so far is about him focusing on someone else (like the heart to heart with Melia above). Dude's too selfless, it's annoying. I'm hoping now I've got Fiora in the party I will be able to gather up other people talking about Dunban, at least.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 12, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Lethemonster posted:

I know I asked before what characters people wanted to see more of and so on, and we settled on Dunban first. I have been trying to collect a good amount of Dunban-centric quests and heart to hearts, but every drat thing I've managed to get so far is about him focusing on someone else (like the heart to heart with Melia above). Dude's too selfless, it's annoying. I'm hoping now I've got Fiora in the party I will be able to gather up other people talking about Dunban, at least.
Yeah when I was playing I noticed he barely ever talks about himself :3: You can get a couple (I remember one with Sharla and one with Fiora at least), but IIRC they require max affinity. It's a pain in the butt

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dunban is a good listener.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yep, Riki: still the best.

Glad the gang's all back together again! This part was such a relief for me. Everyone's ok! Everyone's back together! Even with the world turning upside down around our ears, we still have our posse.

VVVV oh yes! I forgot about that! Another :aaa: moment at this part for me was Mechonis has PEOPLE?!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 17, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I had not expected the mechon to (video spoiler, tagged because so close to video post)not be the people of the Mechnois. Are they like the High Entia, maybe? That's rather surprising and a neat twist. And there were many nice moments in this video, too.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

I thought it pretty clear that Reyn and Sharla were flirting/pairing off since she was first introduced. The Melia/Fiora/Shulk star-crossed lovers triangle has been so much of the emotional focus, so as soon as Sharla came up and wasn't obviously Dunban's age I knew where she was headed. The alternative would be some sort of horrific harem anime and this game's tone just hasn't had that kind of simplistic stink to it.

Let's just hope the Terminator-folk of the Mechonis don't try to bring in any additional romantic complications. And of course ladies-man Riki is quite taken, ladies.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Welcome to the best area you didn't expect to be in, like everything before it, but better. And it just gets better from here in terms of "What am I going to get to next?"

I want to point out the music here really takes this part of the game from just being a cool new area to being probably the most sentimental area in the game. I'm pretty sure the song going on at the beach with Riki and Dunban's dad-chat (arguably one of the best scenes in the game as well) is aptly title Reminiscence, which is basically a more somber version of Memories, which was playing way back in Colony 9 during the Outlook Park scene, to really tug on your heartstrings. Polsy links to avoid potential spoilers if you want to give it a listen and compare.

The soundtrack in general is just fantastic and, with the exception of some dynamic battle music not playing nicely when you do cool things/or have bad things happen to you, it's almost always a seamless transition between style and mood without skipping a beat with the exception of Mechanical Rhythm, which I think already got super-speeded in the previous video.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

This episode has no commentary because there's only 30 seconds of not-exposition.

It does have an awful jump cut I thought you guys would love!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This entire game's plot is just cycles of revenge all the way down, isn't it?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I just binged this entire LP over the course of a day. Great stuff.

Up until you said it out loud yourself, Lethe, I thought for the longest time what Riki was shouting was "Riki sticky!" and not "sneaky".

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

JT Jag posted:

This entire game's plot is just cycles of revenge all the way down, isn't it?

That, and the Monado being brought up in every other sentence.

The moral of the story tends to be "revenge is okay, so long as you're directing it in the right place."

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Ah, fat Machina guy. If it weren't for Xord, he'd have the best voice in this game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey the distinctive brand of XenoScience is showing up!

I love Xenoscientific crazy talk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Are we sure they didn't secretly get Brian Blessed to voice this dude?

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hey the distinctive brand of XenoScience is showing up!

I love Xenoscientific crazy talk.

Oh boy are you in for a treat. The Machina and their :science: make up for any pacing flaws there might have been in introducing themselves by now. It will only get more wonderful from here.

Digit 5 though. That's like, either the left hand's thumb or pinky finger. I'd imagine quite a bit of scrap fell off of Galahad Fortress with the party, so it's not incredibly unlikely you would find parts on a beach on an island which is a severed hand in the middle of a neverending ocean. Where else would they wash up?

Incidentally, pretty sure it got shown earlier, somewhere, but a long, long time ago, something like...400,500 years ago, maybe, the High Entia sent four of those scout transports they gave you a ride in out from Alcamoth, one in each cardinal direction, to try and find any land at all.

They're still flying.

EDIT: I should clarify it's possible that didn't get seen, because it's mentioned in casual NPC dialogue. You just need to through Alcamoth and talk with people for a lot of exposition you never asked for that...kind of makes a lot more sense now? I don't know anymore.

Still finding new things in a game that I have played an unhealthy number of hours on. Looking forward whatever comes from this, lethe, and thank you for keeping your LP going!

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really like the character designs on the Machina, robo-heels aside.

I kind of wish they were the protagonists.

• Locked thread