Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Back to 2-3, you were supposed to enter Gaur Plain for the first time during the day :negative:

Like this (skip to 9:20)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The first time Mysterious Face opened his mouth is when I really knew I'd enjoy this game. :allears:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Ah yes, THIS lovely fellow. I feel like when they showed his VA a picture of the character design, he just went 'that's an Ork Warboss,' decided to put on his best 'mad cockney git' voice, and hammed it up as spectacularly as he could.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Agent Interrobang posted:

Ah yes, THIS lovely fellow. I feel like when they showed his VA a picture of the character design, he just went 'that's an Ork Warboss,' decided to put on his best 'mad cockney git' voice, and hammed it up as spectacularly as he could.

Yeah, thing is... Doesn't his voice sound eerily familiar? Still, awesome storytelling here... I'm assuming the face guys are always too high to beat until a certain point?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

It's not that they're too high, it's simply that the Monado doesn't work on them unless they're toppled. Essentially, against Faces, the Monado is considered a normal weapon, which means you have to fight them like you would regular Mechon. Break/Topple/Daze works just fine against them, though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
God I love this guy. When I was playing I was enjoying things well enough up until this point but then he shows up and I just knew everything was going be awesome forever.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I feel that Sharla gets a bit of a bad rap. She's just a bit more specialized than the other characters. She's not great against random mobs, but she also saves you a lot of grinding by making fights winnable a few levels before they would be without her healing.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
One of my favorite things about this game is the gameplay-story integration that you get with the Manado. It's really cool that Shulk can see not only future plot events that threaten people, but gameplay ones too. And the way it marks certain random materials as being important for sidequests is a fantastic feature that makes you actually feel comfortable selling/using most of the random loot you get.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

dude789 posted:

I feel that Sharla gets a bit of a bad rap. She's just a bit more specialized than the other characters. She's not great against random mobs, but she also saves you a lot of grinding by making fights winnable a few levels before they would be without her healing.

The problem with Sharla is that healing simply isn't all that useful in Xenoblade. She's great if you want to punch above your weight-class to get more experience, but... why would you EVER do that in Xenoblade? Sharla's not a BAD character by any means; situationally, she's amazingly handy. But she is the LEAST useful character in a party of playables who are all INCREDIBLY useful.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

It's not that they're too high, it's simply that the Monado doesn't work on them unless they're toppled. Essentially, against Faces, the Monado is considered a normal weapon, which means you have to fight them like you would regular Mechon. Break/Topple/Daze works just fine against them, though.

Incorrect! When it comes to faced mechon the game prioritizes level over weapon type. The fact we can't hit them is the only thing that matters because no hits = chain gauge.

The cutscenes in this make me giggle evertime because the faced mechon comes over. It's very ominous; good camera angles, specific music, slow action and then... he just pops open! Kindof ruins the affect for me.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Huh. Interesting. Although considering it further that DOES make sense.

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012

Wind God Sety posted:

One of my favorite things about this game is the gameplay-story integration that you get with the Manado. It's really cool that Shulk can see not only future plot events that threaten people, but gameplay ones too. And the way it marks certain random materials as being important for sidequests is a fantastic feature that makes you actually feel comfortable selling/using most of the random loot you get.

The only sort-of problem I had with it was, by the end, it more or less stops showing up in battles because there's almost nothing high enough level to do enough damage to trigger it. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty amazing.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

sgtsnookums posted:

The only sort-of problem I had with it was, by the end, it more or less stops showing up in battles because there's almost nothing high enough level to do enough damage to trigger it. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty amazing.

It's based off of how much damage the attack would deal relative to how much the target has left. Reyn has a very large amount of HP so he tends to keep visions away as the game goes on.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sharla is a crutch character, sure.

Even so, I never got tired of "Let's get this done and dusted!"

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

I'm really happy I'm not the only one who thought that when I saw his face and heard his voice.

Mysterious Face, I hope you're a primary antagonist for updates to come. :allears:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

There's some sections in this where you just get to enjoy the ambient noise and background music. I could say I did this on purpose, or I could admit that my brain has dribbled out my ears and I couldn't think of anything to add.

This update introduces the first character I actively dislike in the game!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Face Mechon is still great :)

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I remember being so, so happy Shulk got called on his Stupid Secretive Protagonist Bullshit this early.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Xord an unwinnable fight the first time you fight him? Or can you break/topple him and break stuff?

I also never played FF7 :shobon:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Wonderslug posted:

I remember being so, so happy Shulk got called on his Stupid Secretive Protagonist Bullshit this early.

Yeah Shulk has some Dumb JRPG Protagonist moments early on but he gets it together pretty quick.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The first time Xord started talking really threw me for a loop. From the way the mechon look you'd expect them to sound more, you know, roboty, and then this giant cockney ork robot comes along.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
We should all just be grateful the localization team didn't take it in a different direction.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Wonderslug posted:

We should all just be grateful the localization team didn't take it in a different direction.

To be fair I would watch the poo poo out of that movie. Also :golfclap:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Oh, I'm not saying I didn't like it, it was just unexpected.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Took a second to catch what you did here. :stare:

Dr Snofeld posted:

The first time Xord started talking really threw me for a loop. From the way the mechon look you'd expect them to sound more, you know, roboty, and then this giant cockney ork robot comes along.

Oh man, it gets even better. :allears:

All the praise that the voice acting in this game gets is just so, so richly deserved.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 17, 2013

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I just passed the point in the game that I got up to in my last attempt to LP the game. Things are going much smoother in that area than they did before and boy howdy am I having a whale of a time playing. It's very hard not to just plough through and wrack up hours of gameplay footage just in case something goes wrong and I lose hours of video.

I was born in London but luckily moved away before I could pick up the cockney accent. Can't even do it if I try! (Which I promise I won't.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't play FF7 either :goleft: At least, not past the first hour or so. And yes, the Central Pit is incredibly tedious.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting that so soon after we get our girlfriend munched by Mekkon, we join up with a lady who's had her boyfriend munched.

I also like that this ancient superweapon that turned the tide of a previous war is now prone to failing at the most inopportune times.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This LP is tempting me to play the game again, but I know it's really drat long and I don't have that kind of time. I think I'll just settle for listening to "One Who Gets in Our Way" on loop.

Lethemonster posted:

I just passed the point in the game that I got up to in my last attempt to LP the game. Things are going much smoother in that area than they did before and boy howdy am I having a whale of a time playing.

Oh good, you remembered to stop rushing and play the game more normally? I think being too underlevelled for a boss is one of the reasons your previous attempt died.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Glazius posted:

I also like that this ancient superweapon that turned the tide of a previous war is now prone to failing at the most inopportune times.

It's not that it's failing, it's that the Face Mechon are a new type that the Monado doesn't work on because Dunban beat the absolute poo poo out of them a year ago. It shows that the Mechon are capable of learning and makes them an even worse threat. Our ultimate weapon can't defeat them and we might very well be doomed, but we'll go down fighting anyway because that's what we do motherfuckers

It's awesome.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's private.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
It's set to private, chief.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

View now, peons. Bask in the glory of my voice and be in awe of how my Britishness blends so perfectly with the original work.

One day I may even deign to set it to public before I post it. Unlikely, but possible.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Grim one-liner before shooting a boss with a gently caress-off huge rifle and dropping him into a river of liquid magic? Not half bad for a pensioner, I'd say.

The elevator fight with Xord kinda creeped me out because he's basically fighting you with all his skin seared off by liquid ether. I mean jesus christ, it's still dripping and smoking off him. Gives all his screaming/caterwauling during the fight a new, horrific context.

But who cares about that when we have Dunban's FABULOUS new half-cape! :allears:

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 25, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Y'know what's creeping me out? That I'm starting to think, after that boss-finish cutscene, that I'm right about something horrible. He sounded awfully familiar, and he became what he is... Yeah, definitely creeped out right now... Also, the Old Guard still rock the casbah, and the new guy... Well, he's mysterious, and that actually pisses me off. But still, the mystery will be unraveled soon enough, I'm guessing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This whole sequence is fantastic, and not just because it introduces foppish rogue Dunban.

E: Also, in the Japanese version of the game Metal Face's name translates directly to "Black Face". This is why we have localization teams and not just direct translators, folks.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 25, 2013

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Otharon may have been a badass here, but this was the scene that really endeared Reyn to me. I mean, that was one sweet catch! :allears:

Oh and Dunban. Dunban is amazing. Can't wait to see you take him for a spin.

JamieTheD posted:

Y'know what's creeping me out? That I'm starting to think, after that boss-finish cutscene, that I'm right about something horrible. He sounded awfully familiar, and he became what he is... Yeah, definitely creeped out right now... Also, the Old Guard still rock the casbah, and the new guy... Well, he's mysterious, and that actually pisses me off. But still, the mystery will be unraveled soon enough, I'm guessing.

If there's one thing I like about this game (and I like A LOT of things about it), it's that plot twists don't come out of left field. You can figure stuff out yourself if you pay attention. But that is all I will say about it.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Otharon may have been a badass here, but this was the scene that really endeared Reyn to me. I mean, that was one sweet catch! :allears:

Oh and Dunban. Dunban is amazing. Can't wait to see you take him for a spin.

If there's one thing I like about this game (and I like A LOT of things about it), it's that plot twists don't come out of left field. You can figure stuff out yourself if you pay attention. But that is all I will say about it.

Yeah, since I'm pretty sure I have figured that particular twist out, I'm basically saying nothing definite about it either. Still, this is well written, I must say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
The one thing I don't care for about Shulk's design is that you can set him up to be a decent damage sponge and he's pretty good at grabbing aggro, but for most of his abilities to have their full effect he requires a tank because you can't position yourself relative to monsters that are actively trying to kill you.

Also, I set the game down for something like a year and a half in the middle of the next area, so I had no memory of that scene with Mystery Creeper and the telethia until just now.

• Locked thread