Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
I think there may have been some creative liberties taken for some of loot, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Whoever did the localization for some of the (probably incredibly hard to translate) items, especially the item descriptions, is a goddamn genius.

Since you kind of brought up the shinies in the video and the fact that there are quest collect-a-thons, I think its safe to say that the game doesn't always give you visions of your characters saying "Oh hey, it's one of these things we need for a quest." It's nothing too serious to worry about, unless you are like me and pick up everything you see. You can run out of inventory space for things very, very quickly, and selling collectibles (that may or may not be marked with that "!") is generally a very bad idea. Someone made a "Items which are safe to sell" list somewhere in the Xenoblade thread in games, but from a brief glance, there are a decent amount of spoilery things in it, so you have been warned if you are going to use it.

This LP made me start a brand new file in this game again, and I'm only barely caught up with the LP itself. I'm doing one major thing different, though.

Lethemonster posted:

Why don’t you play this on Dolphin?

Although gorgeous in HD, dophin is a beast and my laptop would start crying if I tried to play and record on it. The wii version is what 99% of people will be playing, so that’s what you get. It’s still gorgeous and great fun.

My wii gave up the ghost finally and the disc drive can't read anything anymore, so I decided to go and start what will now probably be my 3rd full run of this game in Dolphin. I've got a pretty decent computer, I think, and I already have the emulator programmed in that (now old and probably obsolete) Xenoblade custom build that fixed the sound issues, while loading some of the HD Texture Pack that a lot of people put a lot of time into. You don't really need it to make the game look stunning, just running it in dolphin with the internal settings not locked to hardware limitations on the wii takes what isn't already beautiful one step further, but I literally have no idea how this build is working, because it shouldn't work at all. I think I conjured some sort of magic to get it working whenever I set this up first time around, but I'm not one to complain, because its running, and running smoothly with very few problems. (One of which is the internal temperature of my computer, and how burning hot it can get, running Dolphin and Xenoblade)

You're doing an amazing job, Lethe. Keep making awesome videos. And now that you have Dunban, you don't need Reyn to be a complete tank: equip his aggressive arts. Dunban's AI is good enough to catch aggro and divert it to let you make it Reyn Time, all the time. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
I find it pretty cool that up to now, there has been a gradual "evolution" of Mechon, based on the materials that they're made of, and replacing outdated, weaker components. The faceless drones are, as a few of the characters have said, almost complete scrap metal considering how easy they are to take down. Their strength is through having a hell of a lot of them fighting at once, to compensate for that weak armor they have.

Then comes the Faced Mechon, Xord, who is made of Bronze, significantly harder to break compared to the drones, but still possible to do so (I suppose that bath in the ether river didn't really help him out much, though).

Then after he's gone, we get an unfinished fight with Metal Face, who seems to be made of Steel, accompanied by a couple of not-Xord Mechon. At least this time, Shulk could cut through a very, very small layer of that armor, but it shows that he isn't as invincible as he was back at Colony 9.

So if there are better Faces being made from the flaws of the previous ones, that Silver Mechon that was being built is going to be an interesting enemy. :ohdear:

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
It seems like for every step forward, the original goal of KILL EVERYTHING and REVENGEANCE (that mod idea for having Fiora in that game is too amazing of a mental image to not bring up) has gotten rewritten in one way or another as we went along the road. Sharla got us wanting to avenge the already destroyed Colony 6, to help bring reclaim and rebuild what the Mechon and Xord took from them. Melia showed us that there is a lot more going on in the grand scheme of things, almost an entirely different world away from our Homs colonists point of view, coupled with Riki, the Nopon, and the Makna Forest underneath the literal (self-proclaimed) capital of Bionis, Alcamoth. The death of The Emperor and the plot reveal on Prison Island cast a very foreboding tone for Valak Mountain, Sword Valley, and Galahad Fortress. Muhmkhar was right: How are you going to steel yourself to kill faces, knowing they may have Homs inside who you could know?

And then we got to the first happy moment in a long, long time with surviving that drop into the endless sea, washing up on the Fallen Arm, and not only knowing that Fiora is alive, but that she's back in action with those knives :unsmigghh:. They got the atmosphere right for the kiss, quite literally a Kiss of Life, bringing her back, now in a mechanical angelic body with wings. What lovely symbolism, and it's still probably my favorite setup for her, plus or minus the :kamina: shades. If only the creepy parts of the Speed Set weren't blatant fanservice/japan being japan. :(

ninegearcrow posted:

I once tried to hack human Fiora back into Mechon Fiora's place just because all her Mechon armours outside of her base set were poo poo to look at.

It broke the game.

Haha, I know exactly how you feel. They are two completely different characters, so Mechon Fiora isn't "Seven", she's technically "Eight", complete with a completely different Level slot (you will still be whatever level you were when Fiora got stabbed at the beginning of the game), Talent Tree, and Arts to her Mechon form, if we're going by party members that you can keep and play around with for more than one fight.

Someone mentioned you could switch out control to Dickson when Dunban joins you right after you beat up Xord and get ambushed by Metal Face, although he only has the same two attacks he had at the start of the game. What wasn't mentioned was you can switch Shulk out with Alvis when you learn Monado Purge and fight the Telethia as Alvis.

Alvis has the same control setup as Shulk in that fight, right down to the same type of sword that Shulk had at the beginning of the game, albeit a hell of a lot stronger, named Claymore. He also has a full set of light equipment labeled Seacle, which I can only guess is a portmanteau of Seer and Oracle. Clever.

So, why play as Alvis in that fight, other than to not play as Shulk, if it seems like he's basically the same character, minus the Monado and every art that Shulk has? It's kind of hard to explain since I can't find a video of it on youtube (please don't search, there are many spoilers), but Alvis has a similar Talent Art to pre-Monado Shulk's Turn Strike, that inflicts Break if it hits. He, like Dickson, only has two Arts, but unlike Dickson, they are loving insane. The Art you see the AI using in the fight normally is Cross Ray, a red Art that deals light physical damage with a pretty small cooldown. The Art you NEVER see the AI use in the fight under any circumstances is Lost Ray, which is a lot stronger than Reyn's Sword Drive, with a small enough cooldown to basically one-cycle the Telethia it hits so hard in a chain attack. I think that was where I got the achievement for dealing out an absurd amount of damage in one single chain attack, but hey, it was there, so why not use it?

It doesn't seem that Alvis or Dickson would be joining the party for good though, so if any of you are playing along at home, go try them out. When you're in the pre-fight setup, change characters like you would normally do, and just drag them into your active lineup. Just make sure you're the one controlling them, otherwise they tend to not behave (see AI on Melia and on Alvis, as stated above).

Hope you're doing better soon, lethemonster, looking forward to the rest of this wild ride. You even got me to reinstall the Xenoblade HD Project in Dolphin again, starting over on a new save. If any of you out there watching this LP have the means to do so, go ahead and set that up, because it removes the 480p limit and helps make everything shine like if the game got a proper 720p/1080p release. It takes a lot of processing power to do it, so please, keep an eye on your computer's temperature if you're running it at full resolution, because from first hand experience, there is a very real risk of a fire hazard from how intense the strain Dolphin and the HD Project put on your computer. (Previous computer got a proper viking funeral like that, not too far from where you are in the LP, lethe.)

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Welcome to the best area you didn't expect to be in, like everything before it, but better. And it just gets better from here in terms of "What am I going to get to next?"

I want to point out the music here really takes this part of the game from just being a cool new area to being probably the most sentimental area in the game. I'm pretty sure the song going on at the beach with Riki and Dunban's dad-chat (arguably one of the best scenes in the game as well) is aptly title Reminiscence, which is basically a more somber version of Memories, which was playing way back in Colony 9 during the Outlook Park scene, to really tug on your heartstrings. Polsy links to avoid potential spoilers if you want to give it a listen and compare.

The soundtrack in general is just fantastic and, with the exception of some dynamic battle music not playing nicely when you do cool things/or have bad things happen to you, it's almost always a seamless transition between style and mood without skipping a beat with the exception of Mechanical Rhythm, which I think already got super-speeded in the previous video.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hey the distinctive brand of XenoScience is showing up!

I love Xenoscientific crazy talk.

Oh boy are you in for a treat. The Machina and their :science: make up for any pacing flaws there might have been in introducing themselves by now. It will only get more wonderful from here.

Digit 5 though. That's like, either the left hand's thumb or pinky finger. I'd imagine quite a bit of scrap fell off of Galahad Fortress with the party, so it's not incredibly unlikely you would find parts on a beach on an island which is a severed hand in the middle of a neverending ocean. Where else would they wash up?

Incidentally, pretty sure it got shown earlier, somewhere, but a long, long time ago, something like...400,500 years ago, maybe, the High Entia sent four of those scout transports they gave you a ride in out from Alcamoth, one in each cardinal direction, to try and find any land at all.

They're still flying.

EDIT: I should clarify it's possible that didn't get seen, because it's mentioned in casual NPC dialogue. You just need to through Alcamoth and talk with people for a lot of exposition you never asked for that...kind of makes a lot more sense now? I don't know anymore.

Still finding new things in a game that I have played an unhealthy number of hours on. Looking forward whatever comes from this, lethe, and thank you for keeping your LP going!

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 19, 2014

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Dickson is still the best pirate grandad ever. It does give a lot of credence as to HOW the Homs forces were not getting entirely slaughtered at The Battle of Sword Valley, even if he didn't figure out that anti-mechon weaponry part until not long ago. And now he's actually going to finish the job, with the other people who SHOULD have showed up.

It's always interesting to see friendships formed over a common enemy that is literally trying to wipe you out of existence.

In unrelated news, currently setting my laptop on fire to post some basic pictures from the opening of the game. New build, new release (maybe older than expected, but a lot newer than the last one I had), and I think people might enjoy seeing what the game looks like without the limitations of the Wii hardware. With or without the HD Project. It's...something beautiful.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Edit: There was a post here. It's gone now. Taking it to the Dolphin thread. :(

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 10, 2014

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Of course it won't come out in NA. Reggie visibly sighs in frustration every time anyone mentions Xenoblade in interviews with him. It took a massive outcry just to get a limited run co-publication with Gamestop.

Sad, but probably true. At least we still have the original game, right? Unless they actually have really stopped making it for good for NA, in which case my condolences. Is the PAL version still being produced, as a viable alternative if that sort of thing actually happens?

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I must have more RPGs voiced by Brits.

The thing I don't understand is how some people hate the voice acting. I guess its a subs versus dubs sort of thing, but some hate it so vehemently they do really convoluted things to work around it on the NTSC-U Xenoblade HD Project. Seriously, just change the voices in-game. It shouldn't require something like 8 steps that you have to do over again every time you load Dolphin.

And come on, you couldn't ask for a better voice for Dunban and all of his awesome lines. Especially the :smug: ones.

Edit: One caveat to the Japanese voices is that you have to start from the very beginning of the game all over again on a new save.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 9, 2014

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Edit: Ugh. My apologies. Removed.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Edit: Nothing to see here. Back to your regularly scheduled LP.

Sorry about that. :(

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2014

• Locked thread