Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wow, I forgot how quickly this game raises the stakes and how high they go.

Also I was way more crushed than I should have been when Fiora got taken out :( Having never played FF7, this must have been what it felt like seeing Aeris get whacked for the first time.

E: I think the combat sections during the attack on Colony 9 deserve to be in the game, because they drive home the points that A) Break-Topple-Daze are important, and B) the Homs are in big trouble without the Monado.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Back to 2-3, you were supposed to enter Gaur Plain for the first time during the day :negative:

Like this (skip to 9:20)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't play FF7 either :goleft: At least, not past the first hour or so. And yes, the Central Pit is incredibly tedious.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This whole sequence is fantastic, and not just because it introduces foppish rogue Dunban.

E: Also, in the Japanese version of the game Metal Face's name translates directly to "Black Face". This is why we have localization teams and not just direct translators, folks.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 25, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can kind of see it in the video, but but the weapon that Dunban starts with here can hurt Mechon without the need of Monado Enchant or Toppling. Monado Enchant does boost everyone's attack a little bit, however, and Topple is useful on many more enemies besides Mechon.

E: And as we've already seen, it's not like you're fighting Mechon 100% of the time in this game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 26, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Blind Sally posted:

No.

There's a "Shulk Egg Mine" in Morrowind, though, so now I like to pretend that it's named after the Xenoblade protagonist.

I was about to say that the black scarab enemies in that game were also called Shulks, but I guess those were Shalks instead.
Still, having a name that reminds me of Morrowind makes Shulk and A+ character in my book :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lethemonster posted:

Enjoy the Dunban action.

Also some people have mentioned characters we haven't come across yet or met or know the names of!

Perhaps I'm remembering it wrong, but isn't there a scene between where video 2-6 ends and 2-7 begins? I could have sworn everyone stands around and Shulk says "I had another vision, we need to go that-a-way"?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think you're still missing the cutscene that plays after Metal Face runs off, but then again I may also be crazy (and I didn't watch past the first minute of 2-7 yet)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 16, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So is there a reason you sat on a full Talent Gauge and let the Telethia regain its entire health bar? Or does Monado Purge not stop that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tupperwarez posted:

As far as I know it's a spiritual successor. Not even any mention if it's in the same universe or not.

From the "gameplay" shots in the few trailers that we have, combat looks a lot like Xenoblade combat, so what we know about it so far is mechanistically similar.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yes but Alvis also has one of the sexiest voices in video games so who cares. Also thanks for reminding me that I have a copy of Last Story I need to play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Reoxygenation posted:

Regarding Shulk talking about Fiora in the present tense... That's a thing that screws with me every time I play Xenoblade: save for when Shulk was found with the Monado 14 years ago, and when Alvis showed the emperor the future, there's literally no mention of time passing by in the actual story, and it's kind of weird (except if you're talking about the distant past, when the Bionis and Mechonis fought). It just throws me off a lot. Like Colony 9 -> Frontier village isn't THAT long in terms of actual gameplay, but if you look at where they are on the Bionis there's a fair distance between both of them.

I dunno, not exactly ranting, I just think it's weird.

I've definitely felt that with this game as well, but I think it's endemic to all videogames (or at least RPGs). It's the whole "we have to stop the villain who's going to fire the doomsday cannon any day now buuuuuuuuuuuut we better do all these sidequests first" conundrum, which I've always chalked up to games just being games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Count me as another person who saw "Faces are people!" coming from a mile away, but also count me as someone who didn't see it coming that Fiora would be in one of them.

God I love this scene, it's definitely kind of cliched and anime but I eat that sort of crap for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When the main piano theme kicks in....unf, I got a little bit of shivers seeing it again here. I really need to finish this game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, robo-suits is probably the safest direction they could have taken to explain those things but I still haven't gotten tired of robo-suits in my media.

One other thing I really like about that whole sequence is the shot-for-shot callbacks to all of Shulk's visions since the Ether Mines. Of course it makes sense that things would play out like he had seen them in visions, but having that very precise payoff makes it all the more sweeter due to seeing it in bits and pieces repeatedly. And there's probably some final lesson in this game about how trying to change the future makes it come to pass anyway, but again I haven't gotten that far.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PleasingFungus posted:

Isn't that the opposite of what the rest of the game so far has been showing, though?

At this point, "the future didn't refuse to change!" kind of comes as a breath of fresh air; it'd be a pity if the writing abandoned that.

Now that I think about it, I don't think Shulk was trying to change what he saw in his visions of Prison Island. In fact, I like to think that there's some small unwritten implication that he wanted things to play out this way- "sure the Emperor dies, but I saw that in my vision right before I saw myself cutting down Metal Face, so if I let him die then I get my shot at revenge!" It would really drive home the vengeance at any cost angle, right before that vengeful side shrivels up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dunban is the most handsome man in video games, so why not him?

• Locked thread