Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Critic of the Dawn posted:

So, a friend and I played all the way through this game together over a course of an entire year, and one question I was never able to get a decent answer for is...

What the gently caress is up with Reyn's weapons? They're like... spring-loaded shield giant bottle opener club spear claw things that look like they weigh about 50 pounds.

They're referred to as 'gunlances' in various materials; from what I can tell, the shield isn't actually a shield, but a cowling for a piston mechanism used to drive the blade or speartip forward. It's functionally a weaponized pile bunker/stake driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

So, in other words, it is indeed intended to be a spring-loaded shield giant bottle opener club spear claw thing just like I assumed.

Oh well. I suppose that's less stupid than the weaponized dolls, megaphones, paintbrushes, and other silly things you see in a lot of JRPGs, so I guess I can't grumble too much about it.

My favorite detail is that Reyn barely even uses it for its actual function. He pretty much just clubs poo poo over the head with it, because REYN TIME, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Hjalmar posted:

It's also worth mentioning with Chain Attacks that if you end a fight during one, you get double EXP and AP. So, with certain characters who are really good at building the party meter, that's just another way to mitigate any sense of "grind" that is usually such a pain in JRPGs.

Yeah, the game really does not require any sort of 'grinding' in the traditional sense. It's simply that the game is absurdly, brainmeltingly LONG. You're pretty much always decently equipped to handle anything that comes your way; actually BREAKING the game is more to do with skillful play and knowing how the various upgrade systems work.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I noticed that as well - I'm not sure if the animations work like that to draw attention to the fact that Reyn is both very strong and a little dense, or if it's just the typical "video game animators have no idea how the weapons they are tasked to animate actually work, so everything just gets swung around like a sword or a club" thing.

He gets SOME of the moves right(interestingly, a lot of his later arts involve properly utilizing his weapon, giving some nice mechanical integration of his character development), and we see a number of soldiers in the prologue and throughout the game using it properly, so I think it actually was intentional. When it comes to stuff like 'man, did they do that on PURPOSE, or was that a mistake,' you can generally bank on Xenoblade doing it for a good reason.

Later stuff REALLY drives that point home; arguably the biggest strength of the game is the sheer economy of storytelling. If it seems meaningful, it probably is, there's very few pointless details.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah. Reyn's not a DUMBASS, he just runs his mouth when he shouldn't and doesn't think things through. He only really looks stupid next to Shulk, who is an actual genius; when your best buddy is frigging Einstein, it's hard not to seem like Joe Blow from Kokomo in comparison.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Hey, Lethemonster, I was pondering doing some party member writeups as they become part of the main group, detailing what they're good at and how to use them. Obviously I'd start with Shulk and Reyn; would it be cool if I went ahead with that?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Ah, cool beans then! I'll hold off until you do.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Ah yes, THIS lovely fellow. I feel like when they showed his VA a picture of the character design, he just went 'that's an Ork Warboss,' decided to put on his best 'mad cockney git' voice, and hammed it up as spectacularly as he could.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

It's not that they're too high, it's simply that the Monado doesn't work on them unless they're toppled. Essentially, against Faces, the Monado is considered a normal weapon, which means you have to fight them like you would regular Mechon. Break/Topple/Daze works just fine against them, though.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

dude789 posted:

I feel that Sharla gets a bit of a bad rap. She's just a bit more specialized than the other characters. She's not great against random mobs, but she also saves you a lot of grinding by making fights winnable a few levels before they would be without her healing.

The problem with Sharla is that healing simply isn't all that useful in Xenoblade. She's great if you want to punch above your weight-class to get more experience, but... why would you EVER do that in Xenoblade? Sharla's not a BAD character by any means; situationally, she's amazingly handy. But she is the LEAST useful character in a party of playables who are all INCREDIBLY useful.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Huh. Interesting. Although considering it further that DOES make sense.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Wonderslug posted:

We should all just be grateful the localization team didn't take it in a different direction.

To be fair I would watch the poo poo out of that movie. Also :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

In the US 'learnt' is typically associated with country and hillbilly dialects; 'learned' is the typical form in modern American english, whereas 'learnt' is considered archaic and bumpkin-ish.

• Locked thread