Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I'm very excited for this. I've been wanting to replay this game recently, but I don't have another hundred hours to sink into it. This should be a nice substitute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

One of my favorite things about this game is the gameplay-story integration that you get with the Manado. It's really cool that Shulk can see not only future plot events that threaten people, but gameplay ones too. And the way it marks certain random materials as being important for sidequests is a fantastic feature that makes you actually feel comfortable selling/using most of the random loot you get.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Even if people can topple Mechon on their own, that only lasts so long, and I'm not sure if the cooldown on Dunban's topple combo is short enough to be worth it.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Now that we have so many characters, I thought I'd say I really like how this game encourages you to mix up your party and your player character often with the whole relationship/heart to heart system. If you stick as Shulk for the whole game, you won't ever really get your relationships between other party members very high, and you'll miss out on a lot of good scenes, plus I think you'll have a harder time gem crafting since I think relationships play a role there. I never cared to play as about half the cast, but I ended up really liking the entire other half, and just trying out playing as every character is something that I don't usually do in RPGs.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

The second one is noticeably better looking.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, that's fair. The game gets off to a very bad start with Fiora:

Not to mention she's basically just a woman in a refrigerator. I remember liking Melia a lot, but when I played through the game I didn't really do it with much of an analytical eye, so I dunno if she's exactly well written.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

I'll admit that Fiora's death is done a lot better than it could've been, but I still think it's kinda bad. Like she literally exists as a character to die and give Shulk motivation to start doing things. But I don't wanna start a whole derail about it, so I'll leave it at that.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Lethe, are you going to be showing off all the "bad" Heart to Heart options? Something that I thought was really cool in this game was that if you make the wrong choice, it actually leads to an entirely different conversation and second set of dialogue choices.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The only reason I'm against Shulk-Reyn-Sharla-Dunban... is because we've gotten a generally good idea how they play already. Since this is Melia's first big arc, I'd like to hear more about her first. (And she hasn't been in the active party. Yes, I know that at the moment she still isn't in the active party.)

Seconding this, also because Melia is cool

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This game is quite cutscene heavy at times.

I can appreciate that they at least break it up with that miniboss, and the option to do sidequests or whatever before going to the tomb. And even without those, 10-15 minute cutscenes aren't exactly out of the norm for JRPGs

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Prison Island is definitely one of the high points of the game for the cutscenes it has. I've said it before, but Confrontation With the Enemy is an amazing track for these big dramatic cutscenes.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Video works fine for me. The problem might be on your end.

edit: I really like rain in video games. I think that's part of why I like this segment so much.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 5, 2014

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think that's been explicitly revealed yet, so you might wanna spoiler tag that.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Gonna agree with people saying plot first.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Also the inventory management for crafting is just... messy.

Yea, I thought the crafting in this game was a bit too disorganized to be worth doing (especially since I never felt like gems made a huge difference), but the actual crafting scene, for lack of a better term, is fantastic.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

I really like the character designs on the Machina, robo-heels aside.

I kind of wish they were the protagonists.

Yea, I was really hoping we'd get a Machina/Mechon party member when playing through this. I guess Fiora's close, but it would've been cool to get a full Machina instead of or in addition to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

I'm super excited for Metal Face as a stage boss. That whole trailer is great.

• Locked thread