Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
D'awww, that final cutscene last time is so sweeeeet! JRPGs aren't usually my thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this... Keep it up, Lethemonster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

You are in for quite a ride.

If this intro is anything to go by? Yes, I quite clearly am!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Agent Interrobang posted:

Ah yes, THIS lovely fellow. I feel like when they showed his VA a picture of the character design, he just went 'that's an Ork Warboss,' decided to put on his best 'mad cockney git' voice, and hammed it up as spectacularly as he could.

Yeah, thing is... Doesn't his voice sound eerily familiar? Still, awesome storytelling here... I'm assuming the face guys are always too high to beat until a certain point?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Y'know what's creeping me out? That I'm starting to think, after that boss-finish cutscene, that I'm right about something horrible. He sounded awfully familiar, and he became what he is... Yeah, definitely creeped out right now... Also, the Old Guard still rock the casbah, and the new guy... Well, he's mysterious, and that actually pisses me off. But still, the mystery will be unraveled soon enough, I'm guessing.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Otharon may have been a badass here, but this was the scene that really endeared Reyn to me. I mean, that was one sweet catch! :allears:

Oh and Dunban. Dunban is amazing. Can't wait to see you take him for a spin.

If there's one thing I like about this game (and I like A LOT of things about it), it's that plot twists don't come out of left field. You can figure stuff out yourself if you pay attention. But that is all I will say about it.

Yeah, since I'm pretty sure I have figured that particular twist out, I'm basically saying nothing definite about it either. Still, this is well written, I must say!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

Since Xenoblade was localized in the UK, a truly hillbilly UI would say something like :haw:"Ee, an Art were learnt, like!":haw:

Or "Tha figured out one of tha Arts, Go 't' Combat 'n figure't aht!"

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, this is my first time, not because I don't have a Wii, but because I'm not normally a big fan of JRPGs. This one is beautifully crafted though, and since I already plan to get a Wii the next time I have enough cashmoneys (mainly for WiiFit, it must be said), I'm putting this on my list of games to get for it. Also, while I haven't gotten fully up to date with watching the vids yet (two behind), I will say that I absolutely loved where you talked about the strange condition that is Cockneyism. It is indeed a very hard thing to give up when you get it (apples and pears)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed Reyn's crestfallen look. After all, up till now, he's been the experienced older brother type, and this lady just blew him out of the water. It's all anime as hell, as was the Monado failure section. See, it's a pretty common setup in Shounen: The main character has an awesome ability. It fails because the enemy is "just that good", or has plot-armour, or some such, creating dramatic tension... And then it's resolved by the hero powering up somehow. It gets a little aggravating if it's used too often (the best examples of this are Bleach, Naruto, and the Dragonball series), but used in the right amount, it can be an okay plot device. Little lazy, but passable.

• Locked thread