Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Mazed posted:

It's kind of ironic that Xenosaga, despite being (debatably) narratively weakest of all Xeno games thus far, gives more attention to the arcs of each individual character, even if one of them was sidelined into a mobile game which never made it out of Japan, and with the possible exception of Jin (though perhaps it's just as well that he didn't get the opportunity to be more like Citan).

Huh. I always though Jin had one of the most complete character arcs in Xenosaga, and in many ways was a parallel to Citan. They face the same decisions, but while Citan always takes the "be a dick" option (and is constantly reward for it), Jin's sense of duty forces him to do the right thing (and he is constantly punished for it).

Mazed posted:

So evidently Dunban has a more old-fashioned view of ladies than big dudebro Reyn. :catstare:

Never forget that Dunban is a man who has a katana collection despite being so non-Japanese that Japan doesn't exist in the universe he lives in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That would be the ultimate capper to the "Fate hates Tetsuya Takahashi" curse thing: the Wii U kills Nintendo as a company and all its games still in development are summarily cancelled, X first and foremost among them. :getin:
I'm all for hating publishers, but Takahashi has only himself to blame for most of the problems of gears/saga. If you plot out games as series of six 60-hour JRPGs consisting of five games of bloated foreshadowing and one game of actual resolution, of course the people giving you money are going to wonder what the hell you're doing (and can you imagine how unbearable Xenogears would be stretched into six games instead of one?). When he actually got his pacing down for Xenoblade nothing blew up in his face and it got hailed as the holy messiah of JRPGs.

LordAba posted:

I'm hoping for a SMT x FE x X. The giant that the world is built on is really YHWH, who is also a dragon. Only Lilith uses nanomachines powered by ether to unleash the fire emblem, letting you fight him in a giant mech.
We're all glad that Xenoblade never mentions nanomachines, so let's not ruin a good thing.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

I always loved that part. It's where the game turned from an entertaining adventure into a convoluted (but loveable) mess, with a crapload of questions on the horizon. That said, these Xeno games sure love their mechanized women.

I also noticed a real change in the tone here. Before this it felt more like the good parts of FFX than a Xeno game. You've got Shulk, who's a less douchey Tidus, Reyn, who's a less racist Wakka, Sharla, who's a less bitchy Lulu, and Dunban, who's Auron. Together they bond as friends over the course of the journey, with the nebulous force-of-nature antagonist playing an almost mcguffin-like background role.

Then Zanza shows up, chews some scenery, and you know you're in the -Time- of the -Gospel-. Which is pretty great, because FFX fell apart in the second half largely due to the predictable plot twists and uninspired antagonists, and if there's two things the Xeno- games know its crazy plot twists and charismatic villains.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Slur posted:

That, and the Monado being brought up in every other sentence.

The moral of the story tends to be "revenge is okay, so long as you're directing it in the right place."

Wait, what? This is pretty much the opposite of the game's actual moral. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with a different game about an anime man who's out for revenge/vengeance who slices robots in half with his magical cut-anything science-sword?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

If I want to Dolphin this then I will need a pc-compatible gamecube and/or Wii controller, right?

For future questions, the Dolphin thread is here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423255

but the general answer is that you don't need a matching controller. Emulation can map any kind of input, so you can even play with a keyboard if you don't mind the discomfort. However, most people have a 360 controller as it plugs into a USB slot and covers most controller layouts of the past 25 years. Things get more complicated if you want to use motion controls comfortably, but Xenoblade is 100% waggle-free.

• Locked thread