Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

C-Euro posted:

Wow, I forgot how quickly this game raises the stakes and how high they go.

Also I was way more crushed than I should have been when Fiora got taken out :( Having never played FF7, this must have been what it felt like seeing Aeris get whacked for the first time.

Yeah :( Here's what my thought process was during that cutscene the first time I played:
"Oh man, she is so badass! This is so awesome, I love this girl... Oh. Well, crap. :smith:"

Also swimsuit armour is best armour, put that poo poo on everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Glazius posted:

I also like that this ancient superweapon that turned the tide of a previous war is now prone to failing at the most inopportune times.

It's not that it's failing, it's that the Face Mechon are a new type that the Monado doesn't work on because Dunban beat the absolute poo poo out of them a year ago. It shows that the Mechon are capable of learning and makes them an even worse threat. Our ultimate weapon can't defeat them and we might very well be doomed, but we'll go down fighting anyway because that's what we do motherfuckers

It's awesome.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think I had Sharla use Gadolt's rifle for a long part of the game because it had 3 gem slots, no other rifle had those.

Me too, partly because of the gem slots thing but mostly because I'm a sentimental fucker. I never could bear to sell Fiora's daggers either :shobon:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Nobody's commented on this, which is a shame because it's absolutely majestic. Also, it's the most accurate portrayal of Nopon that I personally have ever seen.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blind Sally posted:

Melia is secretly the bag-lady from Home Alone II who feeds all the pigeons.

God I wish this was true.

Also Lethemonster, now that you're in Frontier Village, you know which sidequest chain you need to do. :getin:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blind Sally posted:

Ha, yeah, he also has so much HP that he's effectively immortal himself. Riki can make a surprisingly effective tank.

EDIT: people who ignored Riki because he was "the mascot character" really missed out.

Riki, Melia (especially once she gets her good DoTs) and literally any other character (Dunban Dunban Dunban) will effortlessly slaughter everything in their path. Brings a tear to your eye.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

My favourite thing about Riki is the dance he does as his idle animation. I could watch that little dude spin all day :allears:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Vil posted:

The dilemma here is that despite the sheer number of sidequests, nearly all of them (aside from generic kill/collect ones from nameless NPCs) are in fact interesting and shed some light on the character of one or more of the NPCs in the game. If you really go nuts sidequesting, you actually end up seeing an appreciable amount of personality and sometimes development, from nearly every named NPC. And there are over 150 of them.

God yes, that's part of what I loved about this game. The world's so fleshed out, it feels so alive. The NPCs all have their own things going on completely separate from the main plot and it's lovely. Hell, there's a decent amount of setting information you only get from sidequests.

I'm pretty sure Lethemonster already said she wasn't going to do too much in the way of sidequesting though (just whatever she likes best or is requested), since it was part of what burnt her out on her first attempt LPing this, and I can easily see why.

As for presentation, I'd prefer hybrid or screenshot so we can get some cute reaction shots :3: But whatever's most convenient is of course the best!

Fake edit: Oh I have another sidequest request! The questchain in the refugee camp with that writer guy and artist lady and the little Nopon kid is adorable and shouldn't take too long at this point in the game (if you haven't locked it out already).

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Lethemonster posted:

Shh no X chat yet. Could go too far into metagame theorizing and spoil stuff. There's a xenoblade thread in games you can talk about it in.

Gonna link it since it's not been posted in for like a month :smith:

As usual, beware of spoilers.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I guess Monolith just wanted to remind everyone that this is actually a JRPG, despite lacking pretty much all the common annoyances. Therefore, it needed a whole bunch of awesome-looking but functionally useless crap.

Square-Enix had already exhausted the world's supply of pointless belts, and so the High Entia were born.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Critic of the Dawn posted:

As for Melia... well, we don't really know her well enough to talk about that yet. I will, however, say that neither my friend nor I were big fans of how she played in-game, either under player control or as an AI. Maybe that had something to do with why neither of us really liked Alcamoth or the High Entia much in general. Or maybe it was the fact that Alcamoth is basically a huge dull empty palace overlooking a huge dull empty park with the game's least interesting music.

On the other hand, Melia is my favourite character, for Reasons. :3:

I'm as critical of terribly-written female characters as you can get without going out the other side and becoming sexist again, and I absolutely loved the way they were handled in Xenoblade (Sharla's awful outfits aside). They're generally treated with as much respect as the male characters, they're not just there as cute-looking props or as eye candy for a presumably-male player, and that's all we really ask for. Even with the whole lady-healer thing, she shoots people back to health with a massive goddamn sniper rifle and that's awesome.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

There's definitely a little stuff left to do in there later if I'm remembering a sidequest correctly, but if you don't want to go back it's not a big deal.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

LordAba posted:

Is Naked-ban still viable in the post game? Even with all the really good skills attached to him which I assume is Unadorned Beauty and as many spike resists you can put on him.
Naked Dunban is always viable (not mechanically but gently caress you for putting such petty concerns above aesthetics). He's just too fabulous for anyone to want to hit him. :colbert:

Digital Jello posted:

Despite the story's latest plot twist, I'm a little unsure if this falls into spoiler territory. I don't think it does, but just to be safe:

With the faced mechon mystery somewhat resolved, who the hell was Xord way back when? I never did much of the game's sidequesting, so I was wondering if this was ever touched on.
Since this has already been answered, I'll point out that you can actually stumble onto the answer way earlier than this point in the game, and spoiler yourself for this Shocking Plot Tweest. I kind of like it though, it's part of the game's attempts to reward you for being a sidequest obsessive not just with better gear but also with a better understanding of the setting.

vaguely fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 6, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

C-Euro posted:

Dunban is the most handsome man in video games, so why not him?
Hell yes
I also have a soft spot for Melia, she's a pretty great character :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I thought this was the regular Xenoblade thread for a minute :psyduck:

A word of warning about Breezy Zelos - he spawns right in the path of a roaming t-rex enemy, so you have to gib him as fast as humanly possible if you don't want to get your face chewed off by a dinosaur in the middle of the fight.

I never had a problem finding Sunlight Schvaik, he always managed to find me first. I couldn't go two seconds in that part of the zone during daytime without a screaming eagle divebombing my head. He somehow manages to be everywhere at once

vaguely fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 18, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Air is lava! posted:

Hmm. Never saw that one. Or any one which forces you to use Riki for that matter.
You are MISSING THE gently caress OUT
Riki gets some of the best heart to hearts

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Lethemonster posted:

FYI if anyone posts spoilers from here on this is the image I will be posting as punishment:

[tIMG]NO[/tIMG]

I have an approach to life that if I've had to witness something terrible everyone around me has to as well.
:catstare:
You were not kidding about how bad this is, also kind of surprised they didn't jam Sharla into it as well

The official (concept) art is super gorgeous! It's good to know I'm not the only one who noticed that Fiora and Dunban look nothing alike, although your speculation as to why makes things um just a tiny bit creepy
I just thought maybe one of them looks more like their mum and the other one looks more like their dad :shrug:

vaguely fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 16, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Glazius posted:

Is Riki actually sympathetic to Melia, or just completely disrespectful but he's so cute it doesn't some across as mean-spirited?
Yes, he's nice to her. We'll see it pointed out explicitly much much later in the game, but they are for real friends.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Lethemonster posted:

I know I asked before what characters people wanted to see more of and so on, and we settled on Dunban first. I have been trying to collect a good amount of Dunban-centric quests and heart to hearts, but every drat thing I've managed to get so far is about him focusing on someone else (like the heart to heart with Melia above). Dude's too selfless, it's annoying. I'm hoping now I've got Fiora in the party I will be able to gather up other people talking about Dunban, at least.
Yeah when I was playing I noticed he barely ever talks about himself :3: You can get a couple (I remember one with Sharla and one with Fiora at least), but IIRC they require max affinity. It's a pain in the butt

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Lethemonster, my request is that in your next update everybody gets naked

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Check. It. Out.

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blind Sally posted:

I hope his final smash is Reyn Time, and involves everyone's favourite lunkhead
all the other SSB characters get fancy lasers and magic sparkles, Shulk just has Reyn rush in and wreck some faces :black101:

• Locked thread