Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm gonna say heart to heart, then plot and then sidequests. Or if that's too much Plot first. Really the next dungeon or two worth of plot is phenomenal and I want to relive it asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, I barely remember this part of the game at all. I was just pushing through as fast as I could because, GOTTA SAVE FIORA!

I hear you, I literally remember nothing between this boss fight and the events in the vision Shulk has at the end of the episode. But the bits after said vision events are so good :allears:

e: and yeah, screw the crafting in this game. Sidequests and the collectapaedia should give you all the gems you need. Hell, a lot of the unique weapons that drop on endgame have gem setups that you would want anyway.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 27, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Lethemonster posted:

Yeah I keep saying I'll do all that stuff and then going WHOO LOOK AT This PLOT IT'S BONKERS. I started out like 'yeah I'll do the best video jrpg let's play ever' and I'm actually a disorganised lump distracted by the game I've already played twice. 'Oh this is so fun I just want to keep killing stuff with no sense of direction or coordination'.

Maybe I'll do it all a third time next year! :(

To be fair this game is a lot of fun to just run around and explore stuff in, nice and chill in a way.

Though my favourite parts in Deus Ex: Human Revolution were running around, breaking and entering and generally being Adam Jensen: hoarder and compulsive thief. Must be all the Banjo-Kazooie I played as a kid.

e: \/\/\/ She said in the video that she had stronger weapons so she equipped them and just kept using Monado enchant.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 28, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, if it's alright with the OP I can provide a deeper writeup of the characters and their playstyles and moves and whatnot, just because I'm a turbonerd and like talking about the ways you can play these characters. I think we're at the point where the characters have all of their arts unlocked, barring a couple of Monado arts and maybe one or two level dependant stuff. I just like how all of the arts and skills play into the characters' personality is all.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Alright, now that the gang has all been accounted for (even if they aren't all together just yet), I think I can start on my character rundowns. This time around I'll take a look at the main man himself Shulk, and why he's really well designed as a character most people will spend their time playing as.

Shulk is first and foremost a scientist, so alongside being a lot more fragile than your average jrpg lead (only Melia and Sharla have less hp, and of those its easier for Sharla to equip heavy armour and she gets more defense bonuses overall thanks to her skills), his gameplay is based on assessing an ongoing battle and striking at the opportune time- which I appreciate because that's how I tend to play games most of the time. A lot of Shulk's arts involve him controlling the battlefield while not being under fire- you use shadow eye to decrease aggro and up your physical arts, which largely involve sneaking up on enemies (slit edge, back slash) or hitting them when they're vulnerable (shaker edge) or supporting characters in small but crucial ways with light heal or around half of his Monado arts. Shulk is a unique character because he has access to all sixteen of his arts at all times, instead or having to pick eight and being stuck with a very specific talent art, making him very versatile and able to respond to a lot of situations without players having to do a lot of futzing about in the arts menu(as much as I would like some options to replace really situational stuff like Battle Soul).

Shulk's talent gauge is designed for you to use one of several arts in highly specific circumstances- you're fighting mechon, or enemies with auras and spike damage, or a vision shows a dangerous physical or talent art that you can counter. Without spoiling the remaining three Monado arts I will say that they fill this mold and fill functions which Shulk does not have at current. The idea is that you build up a talent gauge and keep it for when its useful, and then try to rebuild it as fast as possible- there are a few purely offensive arts like Monado Buster, but they can put you in a bad way if you overuse them and tend to be best used in a chain attack. Shulk's a very simple character but a very well designed one- he's built to have tools for every situation you can come across and forces players to play smart and use the games' mechanics to their advantage. He builds chain attacks well, though he suffers from having a few too many types of colours to really make for some disgustingly good chains like you can make with Reyn, Riki or Melia, and he has some of the best damage output in the game without having problems with aggro like Melia or a less tanky Dunban can have.

This updates a bit short because Shulk's cards are all on the table when you play as him; you're running around doing damage, causing statuses and supporting your party in a way which doesn't draw much aggro. Other characters have a few different ways to be played and are a bit more in depth (as an example you can play Reyn as a stone wall, but he can put out some disgusting damage as well. The balance you find is up to you). The next character I do will be on the thread's request with the exception of Fiora because we don't have most of her moveset yet and the LP hasn't really shown her off. In the event of a tie or disinterest I'll do Reyn and continue through characters in the order they joined the party pernamently (so Sharla, Dunban, Riki and then Melia).

e: that said, like any good democracy everyone gets a vote, so mine is for Melia, aka Little Miss Death-on-Legs

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 13, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If I miss something, go ahead and let me know. It's always nice to get new perspectives.

Oh, and two things about Shulk: 1) how come all of his attacks are physical and none are ether-based if the Mondado is supposed to be a bigass ether blade? My immersion :argh: and 2) is that for as much as Shulk is fairly well loved, his voice actor also did Goon hate-magnet Anders in Dragon Age 2. Funny what good direction can do for a VA, huh? Then again, of DA2's myraid problems, the quality of voice acting was not among them.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man, this LP has inspired me to pick up the game again, and my postgame file is just crazy; old areas you forgot because of freakishly high level monsters have these massive areas you never new existed, or there are really involved quest chains that open up secrets in areas you thought you knew inside out. Not to mention that gems start getting good enough that you can reliably murder stuff more than five levels above you. And now I find out that a Banjo-Kazooie as gently caress level was dummied out and is still in the game code (Bionis Left Shoulder, which I'll refrain from posting because I figure youtube links would spoil a lot of you)Dogs and cats living together and mass hysteria :psyduck:

Anyway, I'm probably going to be busy for some time, so let's talk about Riki. And man, did you pick the hard one for me to describe: Riki is that sort of trickster archetype in games where the character has a lot of really unique tricks but doesn't fill any sort of familiar mode, like Teddie in Persona 4 Arena or Yoshimitsu in Soul Calibur if you'll forgive me straying from the genre a little. Riki seems like an odd duck at first: he can't damage in big chunks like Shulk, his support skills are either situational or tricky to use in comparison to Melia's buffs or Sharla's sheer volume of fantastic support skills, and for all his massive HP he can't hold aggro to save his life. Not to mention a good chunk of his skills deal in non-battle situations like drop rates, trading and movement speed. So what makes fans look at Riki and declare him a steamroller of a character? Well it's a misnomer. Riki doesn't act like a freight train. He's more of a calculated air strike. I mean every character is good, really good, but Riki is really good in a way that can take him from joke character into certified badass within a few battles once you really get him.

A good Riki can absolutely dominate any fight he's in; Shulk can engineer a fight and Dunban can overwhelm it but Riki will stump enemies at every turn. Riki has access to all four damage over time spells, which means that he may initially seem like he's doing pitiful damage but all of those statuses act independently, which means that an enemy can be suffering frostbite, be on fire, poisoned and bleeding at the same time. Not only that, but these are all independant of other characters DoT attacks: if Dunban or Melia cause bleed or burn it will tick up alongside Riki's amount as well. Also, DoT attacks go up during chain attacks, so Riki can functionally be doing back slashes every few seconds with a little setup- especially with Melia, who will let him do that with multiple attack colours. Speaking of chain attacks, Riki builds them up wonderfully; he has several positional attacks, all DoT skills up it and he has an attack that will give a bar of the party gauge (which has long cooldown, but can be used and then used again in a chain attack, meaning that if you've already killed an enemy in a battle you can have two chain attacks within seconds of each other). His heal is able to hit himself and at least one other party member and can be more than sufficient with good use of some skill linking and additional defensive arts from other characters. His knockdown may seem like it takes too long to come out until you realize that it isn't dependent on break to cause topple, though it isn't very reliable compared to the other forced topple options available (though it can cause bind and bind is good. The only other way Riki can tie up enemies is through Naptime, which is fun but there are better arts). He's got a few auras but I've never found much use for them, since they take up spaces from better arts- play dead is fun but Riki's lack of aggro drawing capability if you're using DoT and support stuff kind of mutes its usefullness, and that goes double for Riki is Angry, though Hero Time can be good for long haul battles- it's a good alternative to Sneaky for a slot, since Riki's strength isn't great. Beyond that he can confuse Mechon, cause a good damage break (which are kind of rare, air slash and maybe Fiora's break skill excluding, and of those only Tantrum hits multiple enemies), and I'm told that the "say sorry" skill can do disgusting damage in chain attacks with all DoT's and Behave's paralysis on it (itself a good art for some uniques, because the crazed buff can be a bitch and a half). Riki almost suffers from too good skills and it's almost a relief that some are so situational they can be ignored, since Riki can be an absolute monster with pretty much any party, is crazy survivable and has more ways to gently caress with the enemy than pretty much any character and a good few support skills that scratch itches you will never know you had.

Also Riki is best in heavy armour. I don't know how it stacks up in terms of gameplay, Riki does have naturally high ether defense, but he is hilariously adorable when he's a tiny metal hedgehog.

e: oh, and vote for the next character to be discussed. As a reminder, that's Reyn, Sharla, Dunban and Melia. In the event of a tie I will talk about Reyn.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Okay, moving on :catstare:. I forgot to mention Riki's talent art: you can steal items (including stuff that doesn't drop normally, rare stuff too), or to "steal" strength or ether and give them to Riki. It can also give extra AP and experience, which is kind of cool. It's a neat art, but not the centre of Riki's playstyle like other characters.

Anyway, before Reyn time officially starts I would like to talk about aggro quickly, since Reyn is about managing it more than any other character. According to your friend and mine the Xenoblade wiki (without whom I would spend hours trying to find npcs to hand in quests to I swear to God) there are two "types" of aggro; a permanent type which goes up whenever you damage an enemy or heal someone and goes down when you take damage or use a move like shadow eye or play dead. The second type is a sort of decaying aggro that happens whenever you do an art or activate most auras, and it gradually goes down- this is why aggro down and arts stealth are seperate gems. Because Reyn can find himself outdamaged and outpaced by more fragile characters if you build him wrong, you have to build him a bit more carefully than you might think. Because Reyn has a lot of arts that deal with aggro with multiple enemies he's the go-to choice for mobs,since Dunban tends to focus on one enemy at a time.

Reyn functionally has to juggle two roles: he has to get enemies off the back of other characters, but he also has to make sure he's surviving. It's always a good idea to keep a last-ditch defensive art on Reyn like Last Stand or Guard Shift so that he doesn't suddenly find himself out of luck. Beyond that though he to make sure that he's not just surviving but taking as little damage as possible if you've built him more defensively; auras like Anchor Chain or Rage help to keep his aggro loss to a minimum (Anchor Chain doesn't reduce damage but it does reduce aggro loss, so I dig it a lot), and he can generate aggro fairly quickly with his talent art Mad Taunt, which can be recovered quickly with moves like Lariat or Bone Upper (heh).Bone Upper also can be immediately followed up with Dive Sobat to tank enemy agility by 25% and paralyze them, which means that Reyn or really whomever is being targeted will be taking less damage. In terms of gaining aggro, hammer beat is a good standby, and Engage not only gives lock on (an enemy can target you and only you. It's a great panic button for tanks) but also gives a boost to Mad Taunt, making it a great way to suddenly make people very mad at Reyn. Aura Burst is also a purple art that lowers enemy strength and gives aggro in an area, making it a good compliment or alternative to a lot of Reyn's arts; using it with Engage really makes it effective, but using it with Berserk or Rage nullifies its weaknesses (or at least bolster its strengths).

Don't think that Reyn is a purely defensive character though; after all, damage is a good way to make aggro happen and there are worse ways than just laying into enemies with arts. Hell, a favourite combination of mine was to pop the Berserker aura, use bone upper and Lariat to build talent gauge, and use that to power Magnum Charge(eats talent gauge to supercharge a moves power), followed by Sword Drive. Things my level at Valak Mountain were having 80% of their health annihilated, it was great :allears:. Reyn's sheer volume of red arts make him good for long combos in chain attacks, and Sword Drive is a lot of people's coup de grace in those I would have to imagine. Reyn's auras are very good, but it's wise to pick a couple of favourites and keep them as mainstays. He also has wild down and shield bash, which both come out pretty fast and thus can daze an enemy pretty quickly and reliably if an enemy suffers break. I find that giving Reyn Sword Drive, Two Auras and Wild Down are a given, and the rest can be balanced to your chosing: Lariat, the bone upper/dive sobat combo, Shield Crash etc. Reyn really doesn't have any bad arts so long as you know where to use them and how to combine them, and he really doesn't have someone whom he doesn't partner with well either; even tanks like Dunban compliment him very well (and if you're playing Dunban or Fiora as a DPS character, REALLY well). Reyn is solid and reliable; he may not have the fancy moves or damage output of some of of the more darling members, but you can't go wrong with Reyn in your party, and a well played one can be a real beast. When in doubt, leave it to Reyn.

Man, what a bunch of jokahs.

e: Y'all know the drill: Vote for Dunban, Melia or Sharla. I will probably do Sharla after doing the Dunban/Melia (because lets face it she isn't going to win), followed by the last one and then wait a bit for Fiora. As always, feel free to talk about ways that the character I talked about can be used because I do like learning about ways to use them.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 16, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
For those of you at home, Here is a handy compilation Of Fiora's armour sets, linked because spoilers maybe? It's a shame that the H attack has the dumb torso, because I really dig the dinosaur feet and samurai helm. Well, nothing stopping me from mixing and matching I guess.

e: and the gloves have little angry faces holy poo poo :swoon:. Torso or not that's the best armour in the game.
e2: Oh, the Attack IV set has those and a reasonable torso. Time to go to that colony 6 shop.

On an unrelated note, quick tip for people who don't play as Reyn but have them in their party: make sure to heal him whenever his health goes around 60-70%, not just when it's in the red. This way the cooldown will allow you to keep Reyn alive for longer. Xenoblade combat is all about momentum, so regaining a bit from an even standpoint will do you better than trying desperately to regain losing ground.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 17, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
All right boys and girls, time for one of my personal favourites.

Melia's whole gimmick is that she can summon three elements and fire them off with her talent art- and there's no way around it because a grand total of six of her moves do not revolve around this in some way. As you fire off her spells her talent gauge fills, and after about ten it will fill and she will do double ether damage for a while, depending on her tension. This also lets her use two arts, Burst End tanks enemy physical and ether defense, but I prefer Mind Blast for its high damage(higher with Lightning Up, which you should be throwing at Melia like day old donuts), aura stripping and surprisingly high success rate of art sealing. She has another Aura called Power Effect that doubles the range of her buffs, but I've generally been firing off poo poo too fast for it to be worth it. Stil, if you tend to keep an earth or fire in reserve it's not a bad idea to have. Alright, so about the elements themselves: one thing you should know is that they stack, and stack with other defense modulators. Someone crunched the math, and if you did three earths, got successful battle-start burst for stats up and had gems on you could get something like 95% physical reduction.

Anyway, the elements and their passive/active effects themselves are:
Fire- Attack Up, area of effect around target and burn damage
Lightning- Ether Up, does a lot of damage to one target- an offensive Melia's bread and butter.
Water- Health Regeneration, HP steal to Melia
Earth- Defense Up, poison's enemy
Ice- Ether Defense Up, fires off around Melia for chill damage
Wind- Agility Up, area of effect around target

There's also Summon Copy, which lets you double up the last element you summoned and will likely be a mainstay because Lightning is really loving good. I find having three favourites and copy are a good idea (lightning/fire/earth for me), depending on how you want to fill the other slots. Speaking of, you may notice that Melia has two piddly-rear end physical arts. Individually they aren't good for a lot, but together they will force topple on any unlucky son of a bitch that can get toppled. Melia is a stone cold Steve Austin motherfucker and will straight up run up and wrestling kick a massive dinosaur and you best believe that bitch is going down. It is easily THE best forced topple in the game, and great for locking down enemies in massive chains. Speaking of, Melia's ability to use her talent art three goddamn times in a chain attack mean that you are going to be doing some crazy damage for very little effort on your part- even an AI controlled Melia will work for this, since she tends to keep her elements in reserve. So your buddies can be doing any attack under the sun and boom, talent art and you can switch up the damage type. More than once I've run out of offensive arts and used the chain for massive heals. You may also have noticed that a lot of Melia's spells have DoT effects, and have remembered from Riki's post that those are effected by chain multipliers as well, and you can very easily get two or three different effects going with a massive multiplier. Melia straight up melts hit points, it's amazing.

As for the rest of her arts, they're mostly panic buttons: Reflection turns an enemy's attack against it without hurting Melia (except for talent arts), status effects and all (a common way to defeat a certain level 99 monster is to go up to it, wait for an instant death skill to appear in a vision and pop reflection at the last minute). Shadow Stitch inflicts Bind in a circle around Melia, allowing her to quickly outrange an enemy, and Hypnosis puts it to sleep (which is good for keeping mobs manageable, though the AI tends to only use it when targetted. This is the crux of the AI's problems, it saves arts. So it will only fire off a fire elemental if there are enemies in a group or use the panic buttons exclusively to escape Aggro, which results in Melia standing around stupidly and looking stupid a lot of the time). Melia also has a heal, but it takes health from her so either use it with a water elemental or if you're certain Melia isn't going to draw aggro, which Melia tends to do a lot if you go hog wild, and she can't take a hit to save her life, as it were. So yeah, Melia is good for passive buffing, but that's largely incidental to her capacity to kick rear end and take names. :black101:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Just be aware that it won't drop chests if you do that, since the game counts it as a "suicide". Then again, that's what Yoink is for.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, I like how the intention for Melia's moveset was a silk-hiding-steel sort of characterization where she mostly stays in the background and can kick rear end when push comes to shove, but instead they made the world's poshest war god.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh, I think I forgot to mention one of Reyn's arts: War Swing, which attacks everyone around Reyn a few times. It's handy, but I prefer Lariat myself. Anyway, I'm going on vacation on Tuesday so I'll try and get Dunban and Sharla up by Monday.

\/\/ Well, learn something new every day

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 20, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Alright, so let's talk about Sharla. Now, don't get me wrong, Sharla is an awesome party member (my appreciation for her shot up in the postgame because she tends to make fights against higher level enemies survivable without trial and error), but Lethemonster was right about one thing- it takes a while for her to become a decent party member and less of a human crutch. Part of the problem is her talent gauge, which goes up as you use arts and has to be cooled off, which means that Sharla can't do anything (this has screwed up many a chain attack), and you can't even use the drat thing in the middle of chain attacks and the AI tends to use it when overloaded, which makes the process take more than twice as long. Still, neat thing about it is that as the rifle is "cooler" and less full healing arts are more effective and vice versa for offensive arts (at zero heat the effectiveness is 100% and 125%, and at very hot it's 156% and 85% respectively), also cooling off regenerates Sharla's HP at a rate of 3% per second, apparently. So it's not all bad, but it is a serious nuisance. You can also "cheat" it by warning Sharla when you see a vision to artificially reset it, and in chain attacks it doesn't rise at all either. Sharla has three healing arts- Heal Bullet (one person, some HP depending on ether stat) Heal Blast (same, but way more health), and Heal Round (some, everybody). Recovery art gems are your friend when partnering Sharla with Reyn, since the cooldowns can be pretty severe. I tend to take two of the three. Sharla really shines with her other support arts though: Aura Bullet extends auras by ten seconds (this is really, really good for Fiora, Dunban and Reyn. I don't know if it extends Melia's Talent aura though), Heat Bullet ups tension, Heal Counter and Shield Bullet are great on tanks (shield bullet should be used early on so that they can draw aggro since it keeps them from taking damage but not more than 2500 or so at max level, and then Heal Counter should be used when they are at middling health to keep them in the game, since it lasts for a set number of hits rather than damage and therefore can be used to keep cooldown times manageable. Cure Bullet and Cure Round also clears one person/the team of debuffs and grants immunity, and one should be kept on hand at all times. So yeah, that's nine whole support arts, and I find that having somewhere between four and six of them is good for Sharla- she doesn't necissarily have to slow down combat, since things like Aura and Heat bullet make more aggressive characters more effective. Xenoblade battles are a matter of momentum- if you can overwhelm an enemy then great, but Sharla is designed to mitigate an enemy overwhelming you.

On the more offensive side of things, tranquilizer is good for keeping mobs manageable (which the AI actually uses it for, unlike Melia) and shattering visions, Metal Blast causes break in a straight line like Monado Buster and Head Shaker causes daze, though Sharla has to be in close (it comes out pretty fast though). Her real bread and butter for offense is in Headshot and Thunder Bullet- headshot is great in chain attacks since it's her only red art and does pretty great damage due to it's guaranteed crit chance (if you only need a single round of chain attacks headshot singlehandedly makes Sharla usable again, especially after you level it up to be more accurate, since chain attacks are far more accurate than normal and that level is only the first one in the intermediate level). Thunder Bullet is one of the more dependable ether arts outside of Melia's talent gauge stuff and has a pretty quick cooldown, only slightly more than Bone Upper (especially if you link Riki's cooldown reduction skills)- enough lightning up gems (the equivilent of a level 6 gem) also doubles its power, so it and headshot are very good at making Sharla pull her weight in the damage department.

Sharla also has two auras, and I feel that they each compliment a different role very well- covert stance reduces her aggro and keeps her from gaining more, so a squishier Sharla before she can wear heavy armour benefits from it a lot, since healing can draw quite a bit of aggro. Still, Drive Boost is my preference- she can;t move or auto attack, but her cooldowns shorten by a lot (a fully upgraded Thunder Bullet goes down to slightly over three seconds, which is just crazy), so if you want Sharla to do a lot in a short time (and if any party member can do a lot in a short time it;s Sharla), cool off, pop the aura and start saving the party. Sharla is not a bad party member, I cannot stress this enough. She's just very situational, very good for bosses with minions or a ton of HP and indispensable for some unique monsters. Sharla will get you through a situation alive, it's just a question of whether you need her to accomplish that. Make sure she has Thunder Bullet, Headshot, an Aura and a smattering of support skills and she can get you through monsters five or six levels higher than you with no problem.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, thanks for keeping me from double posting

Today we look at the Flamenco dancing sword wizard himself, Dunban. Dunban's strength is being dreamy on a Dante/Big Boss level :syoon:his ability to switch between tank and dps at a moment's whim- Dunban has the highest agility and lowest defense in the game, so it's best to equip him with light armour so he can dodge physicals and resist ether attacks. Dunban has a whopping 6 auras, more than anyone in the game (Reyn being a close second), and they each have a good purpose, though unlike Reyn they are clearly meant for contradictory roles. Jaws of Death are for when he is about to die, since it revives him if he dies with it active, Heat Haze removes all aggro and boosts his attack if you are playing him as a dps character, Serene Heart boosts his evasion and Spirit Breath gives him a massive haste boost- ie the frequency of his auto-attacks (perfect if you give him double attack or haste gems, since he also has a skill where double attacks are always crits, which he can make heal him with a bit of sidequesting and skill linking- this is crucial to making Fiora a tank. Haste also means getting his talent art faster), so they are both good auras no matter what you assign him to. Peerless draws aggro and boosts attack, making it the tank version of Heat Haze, and his Battle Eye gives him a Lock On while increasing his talent gauge for every attack he dodges. His talent art is a four hit combo that requires you to burst for each attack- powerful, but not what he's based around. Beyond that, if you are playing him as a tank Blinding Blossom is used to take aggro from another character and put it onto him, while final flicker works like battle soul and is useful if you are playing Dunban as a dps character with less aggro attached to him- which is totally fair, since his penultimate weapon assumes you are doing this (Dunban has ten "legendary blades" as weapons, the tenth of which is like this. Though the ninth is his best weapon since it has spare gem slots and is a nice slim sword, which works with him the best). His remaining arts are sort of combo based- gale slash lets a bunch of other arts do bonus effects if they are used directly after it- Electric Gutbuster inflicts break, Worldly Slash lowers defense as well as strength, Tempest Kick removes buffs (and is also a purple art, if you're playing with Riki, Sharla or Melia in your party). Gale Slash also inflicts bleed, so there is no reason not to have it on. Beyond that, Steel Strike is a fast topple attack that goes well with the GS/Electric Gutbuster combo, and there are ways to make Thunder (daze to everyone behind Dunban as long as he has an aura active ie as much time as possible) viable- Gale Slash goes through smaller enemies, but Tempest Kick also ends with Dunban facing away from an enemy, so a Tempest Kick/Thunder combo is very possible. Soaring Tempest works a lot like War Swing, and as Stabby pointed out this is a great way to build chain gauges. Dunban also learns an attack called Demon Slayer, which does a lot of damage and in the event of finishing an enemy with it forces topple on all other enemies, which helps with Dunban's inability to handle crowds as a tank as well as Reyn and can seriously murder poo poo as a dps character. Dunban is a great character for exploration as well as bosses, true to Xeno- game precedent for the veteran character being among the best. He can handle being a tank as well as a dps character, and both roles only involve a short deal of management from each other. He builds gauges, he's good in chain attacks, it's hard to make a party with Dunban that isn't good. And that isn't just my massive man-crush talking.

Dunban actually has fewer red arts than Riki, but his sheer quantity of colours means that you can get some mean multi-colour combos going with some white arts in the mix, and he can build up gauge almost as good as Shulk or Riki. His high agility also means that he's a bit less hands on as a tank since if he's dodging everything he's not losing aggro, though his lack of multi-hit attacks compared to Reyn means that crowds are going to be far messier to deal with, and he can be fragile if he hits above his weight- though stacking agility up on him will let him comfortably attack enemies five levels higher than himself. For Dunban I find that two or three auras, one green art, gale slash and a few follow ups does the job very nicely, with some room for experimentation depending on if you want him to be a dedicated tank or just sort of flit in and out of aggro, which can work rather well since most characters can take a few hits and technically every character as a method of healing themselves and/or others. (Dunban and Reyn with their auto-revival auras, Melia with aqua buff and healing gift, Riki's play dead gives him health alongside his You Can Do It heal and Fiora has an auto-heal aura).

e: by penultimate weapon, I mean that in Xenoblade towards the end game most characters have one or two weapons with non-removeable gems that are very good for them (for example Reyn has an agressive aggro based one and a more defensive one), whereas they have another with better stats with two or three empty gem slots that I think of as their best weapon.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 29, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I always thought it was a touch weird that Shulk decided to get to the bottom of understanding Egil. I mean he is a scientist and an idealist, so he's going want to find permanent answers instead of just treating the obvious source (especially since his personal driving stake for revenge just undid itself to an extent), but Egil is sort of a massive serial war criminal whose own people are like "that dude is crazy, for Meyneth's sake kill the fucker". Hell, even Mumkhar I can sort of buy because Shulk wanted to find a solution other than killing innocent people in the face mechon (maybe he thought the dude was brainwashed like literally every other face mechon pilot) and he figured that if he started now what's to stop them before they do in Fiora.

To the games credit though they disguise it well enough and make it believable for Shulk. It wasn't until a heart-to-heart after the fact that I realized "oh yeah, he's kind of literally Satan to the people of bionis".

e: aw man, when did this get here?
e2: Oh, it's just the "Stupid Newbie" thing redone. For a minute I thought someone had bought me a rather insulting avatar.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 19, 2014

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, you're right. I guess I just figured that it strained the limits of Shulk's good character a little, but he was always about permanent solutions and had doubts as early as Satorl Marsh. And as the next few videos will show, they do a good job of making his thought process believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Pronounce the "a" with a short vowel sound instead of a long one?

Or, uh, "mow-nah-dough"?

Er, or "muh-nah-dough"?

Well it's derived from "Monad" which is the first of all things figure in Gnosticism. That's pronounced "moan-add" with a Newscaster-American accent, so just slap an O on there and you're done. So probably your first guess.

I know, it sounds viscerally wrong to me, too. By the way gracious OP, would you mind the Fiora analysis after the next video, or would you prefer me to wait until she gets some more of her moves?

• Locked thread