Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ooh how did I miss this thread for three days? I've been anxiously awaiting it ever since the last one ended!

I love this game. I picked it up back when it was first released in NA, on the strength of the effusive praise of folks in the Games thread (and Lethe's last LP).

I do not regret my purchase one bit, nor the 170 or so hours I sunk into it. Nope. Not a bit. It's just such a great game, but it's a shame I can't tell people to run out and buy it right now because... you know... limited print run and all that.

I really hope Nintendo releases it on the eShop. This game deserves to be played by as many people as possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If it's not too much of a pain, images would be nice. I liked the ones you did in the last thread. Not a big deal if you don't want to, though.

I'm gonna gush a bit, if that's ok.

I love all the time-saving features in this game. The quest auto-complete is awesome and I sorely miss it in other games. Other things I like: getting EXP for exploring. I like exploring, especially in this game. I can't count the number of times I picked up a few quests, wandered around for a few hours, and picked up some more. Nice that the game rewards you for doing that. In the last video you got two level ups just from running around, and in this one you levelled up as soon as you entered battle! Love it.

Also I love that your health regenerates automatically outside of battle. No more getting stuck on low health, frantically dodging enemies trying to get back to the inn or whatnot. Seriously, this game has spoiled me real, real bad to the point where I have difficulty playing some other JRPGs.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yay, poo poo is getting real! :allears: I can't wait to see more.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Otharon may have been a badass here, but this was the scene that really endeared Reyn to me. I mean, that was one sweet catch! :allears:

Oh and Dunban. Dunban is amazing. Can't wait to see you take him for a spin.

JamieTheD posted:

Y'know what's creeping me out? That I'm starting to think, after that boss-finish cutscene, that I'm right about something horrible. He sounded awfully familiar, and he became what he is... Yeah, definitely creeped out right now... Also, the Old Guard still rock the casbah, and the new guy... Well, he's mysterious, and that actually pisses me off. But still, the mystery will be unraveled soon enough, I'm guessing.

If there's one thing I like about this game (and I like A LOT of things about it), it's that plot twists don't come out of left field. You can figure stuff out yourself if you pay attention. But that is all I will say about it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

I have food poisoning. Attempts to record commentary have lead to me just going 'ugh' into the microphone and feeling sorry for myself. So there is an update due, but god I'm never eating a chicken again.

Does anyone watch the non-plot battles, or like periods of just the game sound and ambiance? Trying to work out if I need to come up with as much commentary coverage as I would want if I was watching, or if people want to just admire Shulk's snail hat occasionally.

I enjoy ambiance, but I also like listening to your commentary. I guess that doesn't really help, now that I think about it.

Feel better soon!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The forest, and especially the marsh, are my very favorite areas in the game. I spent a stupid amount of time wandering around the marshes, constantly changing the time back to night because it was just so pretty! Then I got to the forest, and hey, it's pretty too! There's a giant waterfall and rainbows and- :swoon:

I... didn't get back to the main plot for a very, very long time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yaaay, Heropon Riki! :allears: Pack it in, folks, we just got the best character in the game!

Lethe, now that you're caught up, how will you be handling sidequests from here on out? Last time 'round you have cute little mini-updates with various Doug faces. :3: I liked those.

Also, hurray for being caught up!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh! My favorite is with Riki, Sharla, and Melia.

Riki: Riki wish Melly were real big sister.
Melia: Awww, but what about Sharla?
Riki: Sharla more like mumma. One mumma enough!
Sharla: Now wait just a-!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Re: Sidequests

Now I have all the characters and we are some levels ahead I can go back to earlier areas and show them off in a more complete way, and also the interesting/cute/background quest chains. Would people prefer these as videos (uncommentated), screenshot, or happy with a hybrid approach as it suits?

I may have hundreds of minion icons ready to go

Last night I tried playing some final fantasy while I was tucked up in bed and dying meant I had to redo a whole portion from scratch. I sat there finding it unbelievable how much of a difference getting to keep progress and checkpointing made in how enjoyable games in the genre are now. I really couldn't be bothered to do it again and played Disgaea instead.

I had a similar experience when I switched to Dragonquest IX after playing Xenoblade for a long time. (We were visiting the in-laws. I had no choice!) I just missed way too many of the little quality of life improvements Xenoblade made on the JRPG genre. And DQ9 is one of the good ones!

Re: sidequests, I think going with whatever format suits you would be fine. I'd love to see some of your icons too!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I haven't weighed in yet, but I also think you should do a detailed breakdown of Melia first! If the main thread is anything to go by, a lot of people have trouble using her effectively. It'd be nice to have a permanent infopost to refer to.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Man, Lethe. Are you getting your vitamins? You need to ward that poo poo off!

(Get well soon.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I can sympathize with your sense of direction problems, Lethe! I get lost at the drop of a hat. If I didn't have a GPS unit in my car, I'm sure I'd have starved, hundreds of miles from home, long ago...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I pretty much blitzed through this area because, after seeing that Fiora was alive, I really wanted to see her again. She was my favorite character, you see.

I think at this point I started rolling with Melia, Riki, and Dunban and never looked back... well at least for a long time. Those three were the first I got to max Affinity.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Gonna be back on a roll shortly. (I may have hundreds of Dug and Minion portraits ready to go.)

Yay, it's back! :neckbeard: Hundreds of Doug and Minion portraits? Oh, this is going to be good. I can tell!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dunban status: still amazing.

But then, did we expect anything less? Looking forward to what comes next. :D

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yessss. poo poo is getting real and I love it!

Not only do we get Dunban being, well... Dunban, but I like the little bit with Alvis standing there not giving a poo poo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I say Plot next, if only because we're getting to the best goddamn part in the game and I want to get there faster! :f5:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Vil posted:

But we've already had the Heropon's volleyball introduction. :confused:

Every part is the best part in the game. Let's be honest here.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I really like that part where you're looking over Sword Valley and you realize... yes, that whole thing is the Mechonis' sword. :aaa: It's not called Sword Valley for some metaphorical reason, no. It's the loving sword. It blew my mind a little.

As usual, can't wait for the next one!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah, I barely remember this part of the game at all. I was just pushing through as fast as I could because, GOTTA SAVE FIORA!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Definitely agreed that your very British rambling adds a lot to the videos.

Also, it couldn't hurt to include at least a few fights! It's a bit weird to watch you infiltrate a heavily guarded enemy base and barely see you fight anything. I get the combat gets repetitive to watch, but consider at least including you beating the Uniques?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Outsource your commentary. I'm sure you can find goons eager to comment over your videos. You could even give them scripts so they said what you wanted them to during the LP.

Unless she outsources it exclusively to British folks, this is a terrible idea. :colbert:

British is best.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm fine with doing the characters in order.

Now then, HELL YES FIORA! I love Fiora. She is my favorite character in the whole drat game. I had a hard time not having her in my party once I got her back. She is just so much FUN. And yes, the girl is a human blender and I LOVE IT.

My favorite party is Melia, Fiora, and Riki. Usually I control Melia because AI Melia is terrible. If I want to control Fiora, I swap out Melia for Dumban. Either party works for me, as long as Fiora is in it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

And then I went on Creative Uncut to look at some of the game's official artwork pieces and saw Mechon Fiora front and centre and was so pissed off that I'd ruined the twist for myself.

Also, Riki, because Heropon very cool!

He already did Riki. :ssh: Scroll up.

And I hate casual spoilers like that. Like, I go to a Wiki or something to look up where an item drops or whatever and I see spoilers of say, recruitable characters that they don't even bother to hide. Christ, people. Have some consideration!

JT Jag posted:

For the record, as someone who read this thread unspoiled, I appreciate the effort some of you guys put into keeping posters off the trail of spoilers. I'm not sure if it was in a post or if it was in a video by Lethe shortly after the attack on Colony 9, but someone posted that "You can see during the short time you control her that Fiora actually has a full skill tree, which keeps you from guessing that she'll die permanently like she does"

And I now know you were giggling to yourselves after a comment like that, but posts like it actually kept me from guessing that particular twist.

Personally I had a big problem keeping my mouth shut when a bunch of people were decrying Fiora's death as a typical "girl in the fridge" trope. It was hard. Really hard.

For my vote, it is clearly Reyn Time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Melia next, please. She's one of my favorites to play as, and I'd like to learn how to use her even better!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Gosh, when you put it that way, I really feel bad for Melia. :(

Best thing for her is to be around Riki more, clearly. :3:

Also, what is your workflow like for taking the screenshots? It shouldn't be taking you hours to do a few screenshots! I mean, it takes me hours to do an update for a SSLP, but that's closer to a hundred images!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yep, Riki: still the best.

Glad the gang's all back together again! This part was such a relief for me. Everyone's ok! Everyone's back together! Even with the world turning upside down around our ears, we still have our posse.

VVVV oh yes! I forgot about that! Another :aaa: moment at this part for me was Mechonis has PEOPLE?!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

JT Jag posted:

This entire game's plot is just cycles of revenge all the way down, isn't it?

Microcline posted:

Wait, what? This is pretty much the opposite of the game's actual moral. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with a different game about an anime man who's out for revenge/vengeance who slices robots in half with his magical cut-anything science-sword?

I think what we're seeing here, and what the party is seeing, is what happens when you take revenge too far. The Bionis once attacked Mechonis, much like the Mechonis is invading the Bionis now. Egil seeks revenge upon all life on the Bionis. It would be easy, far too easy, for the party to come to the same conclusion and want to wipe out the Machina and all life on the Mechonis as well. But Shulk sees this, and instead has sympathy for Egil, because he can see how easily he and Reyn could have become him. Or, perhaps he realizes that if he swore revenge on all life on Mechonis, he'd have to kill Fiora too. It's put things into perspective for him.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

mastersord posted:

As a fellow 3DS owner, I feel your pain. One game is not enough to sell me on a $200 upgrade and the confusion caused by this new system is not going to bode well for the brand from what I've read.

Since the New 3DS has not been officially revealed in the west yet, I don't think we know it'll still be called the "New 3DS." The XL is called the LL in Japan, after all.

As to the system itself... well then just don't get one, I guess? Personally, my XL will probably be 2 years old, or nearly so by the time the New one comes out. I'm not to keen on the default colors, but if they release a nice special edition I'll snap one up. Handheld Xenoblade sounds awesome to me! Imagine a special edition Xenoblade New 3DS with the Monado on it! :swoon:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Well, I can't buy another one anyway because I'm all poor and stuff. I bought a 3DS on the assurance from their marketing and previous handheld experience that it was going to last me more than two years before they released a new version with non-backwards compatible games. I spent a couple of hundred pounds secure - at the time - in the knowledge that it was a long term investment.

It's not about getting a shiney new one, it's the current one being made redundant soon :(

Well, for one it isn't going to come anywhere outside Japan until well into next year. For two, it's more of a DSi situation where only a few games will be exclusive to it. Thus far, Xenoblade is the only one confirmed to only work on the New 3DS. All other games will still work on both as normal. Best thing to do would be to save your pence until there's a special edition/bundle you like or a nice sale. Or just wait a couple more years for the actual next-gen handheld and just get one of those.

quote:

I tried the japanese voice acting in this game but every single female character is just a screechy mess. I don't understand why people rate the JP VA so much in games when anytime a woman/girl turns up on screen she's talking in an unnaturally high pitch and being deliberately 'girly'. It's such a grating noise. I had to mute the trailer for Xenoblade X.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who thinks this! I can't stand screechy Japanese lady voices. And they're all ridiculously screechy. I really, really don't get why people hold Original Japanese Voice Acting in such high regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I remember nothing about this place, except the music. The music is really really good.

• Locked thread