Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Well, I finally actually got 6 kids together to try and cube. It was honestly a gongshow because we didn't get #6 over until late so we only had maybe 2-3 hours to do it. The draft itself was a blast though. Pack one for me was kinda mediocre so I decided to commit to two colours right away and grab Lightning Helix. I just grabbed every single Boros 1/2 drop that came my way and P2P1 I lucksacked into a pack with Jitte. Ended up with a pretty monster aggro deck and smashed the two games I was able to play.

So basically, yeah I'm hooked and no regrets about the couple $ I sunk into the cube in addition to all the cards already in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I forgot I had Meekstone in my cube, and the brand new player drafts it alongside Azorious Guildmage, Diabolic tutor, a bunch of Keyrunes and Travel Preparations. :(

I feel obligated to keep the power level as high as possible, but drat some cards sure are unfun.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

boba fetacheese posted:

Well, I finally actually got 6 kids together to try and cube. It was honestly a gongshow because we didn't get #6 over until late so we only had maybe 2-3 hours to do it. The draft itself was a blast though. Pack one for me was kinda mediocre so I decided to commit to two colours right away and grab Lightning Helix. I just grabbed every single Boros 1/2 drop that came my way and P2P1 I lucksacked into a pack with Jitte. Ended up with a pretty monster aggro deck and smashed the two games I was able to play.

So basically, yeah I'm hooked and no regrets about the couple $ I sunk into the cube in addition to all the cards already in my collection.

Boros aggro is one of the most commonly drafted decks in my cube.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Boros aggro is one of the most commonly drafted decks in my cube.

Yeah, I've told everyone multiple times that aggro is A Thing but I suspect it will take a couple drafts before that sinks in. Of course though on the other end of the scale one of my buddies lived the dream and multiple times managed to Tinker into Blightsteel Colossus.

I think that my playgroup is going to be firmly 6+players? Cube, otherwise EDH from now on. And that's a good thing. Although I still have enough packs for 2 more DGR drafts. Oh well cube is a lot more fun!

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

boba fetacheese posted:

Yeah, I've told everyone multiple times that aggro is A Thing but I suspect it will take a couple drafts before that sinks in.

This was what I found as well. Players that are stuck in the mindset of "this is cube, so I'll always be able to hardcast my fatties off land mana alone" were in for a rude awakening when 1/3 of the decks at the table run them over way before that can happen. Aggro is powerful, and important for keeping control in check in the cube, and players now respect (and expect) aggro to be competitive in each and every draft. It really changes the dynamic of the cube, and makes the environment much healthier when aggro goes from being a fringe deck with the possibility of being drafted to a powerhouse that is expected to win drafts.

Not supporting aggro adequately is probably the most common pitfall that fledgling cube lists struggle with. That, and having too much multicolor and/or not enough fixing lands.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Has anyone here thought of a Ravnica/Return Cube? My initial inclination is focus on the guilds mostly, cutting the Planeswalkers and goofy unguilded limited bombs like Pack Rat.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here's a Ravnica cube you could use as a base to work from if you're interested:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=461959

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I don't know about designing Ravnica cubes or whatever, but I now have an urge to add googly eyes to every single card I could reasonable put them in in every deck that I have.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

WhiteWolf123 posted:

This was what I found as well. Players that are stuck in the mindset of "this is cube, so I'll always be able to hardcast my fatties off land mana alone" were in for a rude awakening when 1/3 of the decks at the table run them over way before that can happen. Aggro is powerful, and important for keeping control in check in the cube, and players now respect (and expect) aggro to be competitive in each and every draft. It really changes the dynamic of the cube, and makes the environment much healthier when aggro goes from being a fringe deck with the possibility of being drafted to a powerhouse that is expected to win drafts.

Not supporting aggro adequately is probably the most common pitfall that fledgling cube lists struggle with. That, and having too much multicolor and/or not enough fixing lands.

I am 100% guilty of too many gold cards. But we'll see after a couple drafts what the impact is or if I'm going to have to make some painful cuts.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's so hard, because gold cards are just so COOL and there's so many good ones! Ravnica and Alara gave us so much gold, but a cube with lots of gold is a cube that's hard to work with.

It's a serious problem, I am thinking of taking out all tri-colored gold cards in my own cube, just as a rule.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

boba fetacheese posted:

I am 100% guilty of too many gold cards. But we'll see after a couple drafts what the impact is or if I'm going to have to make some painful cuts.

Some of the cuts can be hard, because there's a few guilds that are really stacked deep. But even in those cases, having a few good gold cards riding the boards is better than clogging up drafts with cards that go late.

gnome7 posted:

It's so hard, because gold cards are just so COOL and there's so many good ones! Ravnica and Alara gave us so much gold, but a cube with lots of gold is a cube that's hard to work with.

It's a serious problem, I am thinking of taking out all tri-colored gold cards in my own cube, just as a rule.

I don't cube any 3-color gold cards (except Nacatl). So I think that's a good plan.

There are a lot of really cool and flavorful gold cards, but for the most part, they're easy to exclude because of the limited range of decks they can be played in.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I don't cube any 3-color gold cards (except Nacatl). So I think that's a good plan.

Always Nico Bolas, Planeswalker!

One day I'll pull this off: http://cubetutor.com/cubedeck/11834

In our inaugural draft one of my buddies actually did a GU ramp+tinker deck and managed to every game either manage to tinker our or just hard cast Blightsteel.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I tried running 3-color cards but all it did was clog up the 15th picks. Anywho, I'm adding the filterlands because I love having heavy manafixing in my cube.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I agree about 3-color cards clogging up drafts. Nicol Bolas was a fun achievement to unlock while he was in there, but it was easily the least used card in the cube. An easy cut.

Filter lands are solid budget choices if you don't have the more expensive fixers available. But I'm not a fan of how they play out in most decks, because they can't split mana between turns and phases or tap for colored mana on turn one. Meaning that neither my aggressive decks or my reactive decks really want them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I am editing my cube and coming to the conclusion I am going to need to proxy some Aggro cards.

What are good aggro staples in white? It would also be nice to know Red or Green as well but my cube's White could use some aggro boosting the most.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

2-power 1-drops (Isamaru, Student, Lynx, etc), disruptive and/or evasive 2-drops (Thalia, Sovereign, Soltaris, etc), and closing spells (Armageddon/Ravages, Elspeth, etc).

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
My girlfriend got me 600 cards off of some website (she won't tell me which one) for my birthday. The description says no basic lands, cards from Dark Ascension to Beta (which is excellent because I started playing during Avacyn Restored), and cards from all rarities, with a "large amount" of mythics. It also says there's some duplicates, but no more than 4 of any one card, which makes me think it's some dudes personal collection that probably has some neat playsets. What are the chances I'll be able to make a cube out of it? I also have maybe 500ish cards I've bought from late-Innistrad through M14, and a few boxes of old cards (i think just from homelands, the dark, ice age, and mirage) from when my dad used to play, if that helps.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

dangerburrd posted:

My girlfriend got me 600 cards off of some website (she won't tell me which one) for my birthday. The description says no basic lands, cards from Dark Ascension to Beta (which is excellent because I started playing during Avacyn Restored), and cards from all rarities, with a "large amount" of mythics. It also says there's some duplicates, but no more than 4 of any one card, which makes me think it's some dudes personal collection that probably has some neat playsets. What are the chances I'll be able to make a cube out of it? I also have maybe 500ish cards I've bought from late-Innistrad through M14, and a few boxes of old cards (i think just from homelands, the dark, ice age, and mirage) from when my dad used to play, if that helps.

You can make a cube from almost anything. You can use what you get there as a starting point and grow it over time, or just stick with that. A cube is just a pre-made selection of cards (typically singleton) which you draft.

The only thing I consider reasonably necessary for a cube is no absolutely unplayable cards (for example I cut Uncovered Clues from my Return to Ravnica block peasant cube, since that is useless in draft).

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 13, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I agree about 3-color cards clogging up drafts. Nicol Bolas was a fun achievement to unlock while he was in there, but it was easily the least used card in the cube. An easy cut.

Filter lands are solid budget choices if you don't have the more expensive fixers available. But I'm not a fan of how they play out in most decks, because they can't split mana between turns and phases or tap for colored mana on turn one. Meaning that neither my aggressive decks or my reactive decks really want them.

If you have to add Bouncelands or Filterlands what do you do? I lean towards Filter but I can be convinced.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I believe what WhiteWolf will say is that you should try to give each color pair the lands it wants the most instead of forcing complete cycles.

You can build really good cube manabases for pretty cheap these days. The loss of ABU duals and fetchlands obviously hurts, but giving each guild the best combination of pain, fast, buddy, bounce, and filterlands should leave you pretty comfortable. Every guild can use shocklands and they're as cheap as they're likely ever going to get, so that'd be a great place to spend your cash if you want to improve your mana base.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

weekly font posted:

If you have to add Bouncelands or Filterlands what do you do? I lean towards Filter but I can be convinced.

Like whydirt said, I'd build my own cycles. Painlands/Fastlands for aggro, Checklands/Filterlands for midrange, Bouncelands for control.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

To go back to aggro-chat, one thing that I think often gets overlooked is that aggro decks usually need a few more playable creatures and spells than their midrange and control counterparts since they often curve out lower and can often get away with 14-15 lands compared to the 16-18 for slower decks. Additionally, slower decks are more able and likely to splash extra colors and thus have access to a larger pool to draft from.

Basically I think that you should almost always err on the side of using aggressive cards.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

This guy seems pretty solid for the cube:

Green isn't super deep on 4cc creatures, and this guy can swing as an 8/8 on T5 after casting an Arc Lightning on your opponent's board.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Green isn't super deep on 4cc creatures, and this guy can swing as an 8/8 on T5 after casting an Arc Lightning on your opponent's board.

It's certainly a beater. The four drop slot for Green is pretty tight in my cube though iirc (granted my list isn't next to me).

Also, if you guys want a good laugh or maybe want to stab your eyes out, check out MTGSalvation's Cube Forum thread about running an extra set of fetchlands. I've never seen a group of people be so willfully obtuse on the internet and that is saying a whole hell of a lot.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2013

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Well here's hoping this is the actual creature, especially with the artist name being "Mockup"

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ya, I'm hoping it's real too.

Rumor has it (now, it has changed again just this morning) that the cost is XXG, and that the damage is divided. If that's the case, it hurts it in a big way.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 16, 2013

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ya, so sorry for the double post, but the wording on that hydra is confirmed to be XXG instead of XGG, so it got a lot worse. :(

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Sorry if this has been asked before but, I am putting together my first cube, and was just wondering what sleeves I should order and from where if they are being shipped to Canada.

Also where should I go to buy bulk foil lands?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Your local card shop probably sells dragon shields, those are what you're going to want for your cube since they'll be played quite often and shuffled by a variety of people. For bulk foils I'd just do scg, looks like they sell for a dollar apiece which isn't too bad.

I wouldn't pimp the mana base for your first cube though, rather spend that money on the cube itself. Just my two cents

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

TheAbortionator posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but, I am putting together my first cube, and was just wondering what sleeves I should order and from where if they are being shipped to Canada.

If Potomac Distribution ships to Canada, their prices are unbeatable. I'd get a case of KMC perfect fits and a case of KMC matte sleeves and double-sleeve the cube. Seriously, I've been using that company for all my sleeves on all my cubes over the years, and the prices are super low.

Edit: For real, you can get a case (800 sleeves) in matte black for $54. And you can get a case (1000 sleeves) of perfect fits for an additional $33. If you only want to single-sleeve the cube, you can get a case (1000 shields) of Dragon Shields for $68.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 20, 2013

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I went with a cheap option a while back and bought a bunch of clear Ultra Pro Deck Protectors off Ebay. Cost $25 per 500.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zero_Grade posted:

I went with a cheap option a while back and bought a bunch of clear Ultra Pro Deck Protectors off Ebay. Cost $25 per 500.

Ultra Pros break like nobody's business though.

Personally I love KMC's and then Dragon Shields.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

WhiteWolf123 posted:

If Potomac Distribution ships to Canada, their prices are unbeatable. I'd get a case of KMC perfect fits and a case of KMC matte sleeves and double-sleeve the cube. Seriously, I've been using that company for all my sleeves on all my cubes over the years, and the prices are super low.

Edit: For real, you can get a case (800 sleeves) in matte black for $54. And you can get a case (1000 sleeves) of perfect fits for an additional $33. If you only want to single-sleeve the cube, you can get a case (1000 shields) of Dragon Shields for $68.

So this, http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=kmcpssb

and this http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=kmcspidpb

Will fit together so I can double sleeve?

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Correct. I prefer the KMC Matte sleeves, as they shuffle a bit more easily. Also, I've got a few double-faced cards in my cube, so I can't run light colored sleeves like that.

Although there are some new KMC Hyper Matte sleeves, has anyone tried those out yet? I'm tempted to resleeve the cube early to give them a shot.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Oh man a double sleeved cube would be huge though. I guess it depends what kind of cards are in it and how paranoid you are.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

KasaiAisu posted:

Oh man a double sleeved cube would be huge though. I guess it depends what kind of cards are in it and how paranoid you are.

I've got a 540 card cube (+200 lands, and tokens) and it all fit in a holiday box with some extra space before, but that thing can really pack the cards in. Unfortunately, the top started falling apart a few months into using that, so I've gone back to a wooden wine box to hold it, but I need to ultimately get something sturdier.

My cube is also foiled out at this point, so the paranoia more than offsets the size inconvenience.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Correct. I prefer the KMC Matte sleeves, as they shuffle a bit more easily. Also, I've got a few double-faced cards in my cube, so I can't run light colored sleeves like that.

Although there are some new KMC Hyper Matte sleeves, has anyone tried those out yet? I'm tempted to resleeve the cube early to give them a shot.

Alrighty, thank you.

The shipping on this is gonna be 45 dollars, I've been looking around and it seems its still cheaper then buying anywhere else. So unless someone can tell me a better place to order from that ships to canada, I'm gonna do this.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheAbortionator posted:

The shipping on this is gonna be 45 dollars, I've been looking around and it seems its still cheaper then buying anywhere else. So unless someone can tell me a better place to order from that ships to canada, I'm gonna do this.
For most Canadagoons I recommend checking out Face to Face Games' site. Their prices are typically up the same alley as SCGs for a lot of product (sometimes less), and they usually do free shipping within Canada, or low shipping costs depending on what you're grabbing.

It might not make a difference in the end, but it's probably worth a look.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

A judge at my store picked some up at SCG Baltimore over the weekend, he's a big fan of them and was randomly telling people how much more he liked them over the regular KMC mattes. I fooled around with them for a little bit, they seem sturdy like regular KMC mattes but have a more textured feel on the back, very similar to the ultrapro pro mattes, maybe a little bit more textured than those. They shuffled very smoothly, overall pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Nice, a cube thread :), easily 95% of my M:TG effort, please excuse this GIANT POST, since I'm JUST SO EXCITED TO TALK ABOUT CUBE

---------------

My list is up over at cubetutor: http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/161 with a whole lot of sample draft decks: http://www.cubetutor.com/decks/161
and I've done most of my cube posting over at riptidelab.com including my cube's primer and full explanation of what I'm going for if you like that sort of thing: http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/robs-unpowered-cube-with-primer.222/
the extremely high-level description is that it's a 525 unpowered list that breaks singleton where appropriate to improve the draft/play experience.
(bolded since a brief skim of the thread shows that I'm alone right now, I'd be happy to talk about it if anyone is interested)

Just had a 10 man draft at my place in Reston, Virginia that went really well and gave me a lot of confidence that the list is playing out the way I hoped. Any northern Virginia or closeby folks would be welcome when we run it back.

---------------

I'm also a software dev and have two cube-related projects I've been working on:
"lambic"
http://rdennis463.github.io/lambic/
https://github.com/rdennis463/lambic/wiki/Mockups
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-want-to-enter-a-cube-list-into-a-computer.97/
I feel like we can be doing better (than some bare textarea on something like tappedout or "add one at a time to some giant unsorted list" like cube tutor) for deck/cube editing and I've gotten to the point where I'm already more comfortable using lambic than a lot of other options.

"cuesbey"
This one is "done" but could be overhauled with all the lessons-learned from lambic
http://cuesbey.com/ <- compare two lists graphically by copy+pasting a list on the left or right and hitting "diff".
for example: here's my big overhaul from a singleton ~425 list to "current": http://cuesbey.com/#/118c3e67-f3e0-423e-93e9-dad0aac4ebd8 (green is added in the new cube, red was removed, and blue cards are in both)
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/cuesbey-com-purpose-built-site-for-cube-comparison.28/

---------------

I do a lot of two-man grid drafts and I definitely recommend it over winchester and winston. But if you're find that it's not quite as an interesting draft experience I highly recommend banning colors before the draft:

Randomly ban 2 of the 5 colors
as you're laying out, skip over:
- a mono-colored card in a banned color
- a gold card in with at least one banned color
- a hybrid card that's both the banned colors
- a dual-color mana (e.g. not 5 color fixing) that produces either of the banned colors
- a fetch-land that can't fetch a land producing an unbanned color

lay out everything else as normal.
First time, G and B were banned and we ended up with UWR control versus a "Big Boros" deck with a lot of interactive play to it
Second time, R and B were banned and we ended up with UGw pod against mono-White control (sweepers, point removal, ramp, strong 5 drops and elesh norn/angel of serenity)

I've been very happy with how it's changed the draft portion away from people settling into "their" two colors, the 5 color wastes space, and people's decks just play the best stuff that was turned over in their respective colors.

The fixing here ends up being a bit different in that there's a lot more unbanned fetches relative to fetchable dual lands, but all the decks ended up with enough fixing to make it interesting. Also, since we got really solid 2 color decks, there's less of a need to get fixing just to play enough good cards.

A+++ would not grid draft another way

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 4, 2013