Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can I get an opinion from the thread on the relatively new idea of making Cubes out of sets? I've heard of people making MM cubes with multiple commons and uncommons and I've been thinking of doing the same with other sets that I remember enjoying drafting.

Does this actually work or is it not a particularly good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

A while back I wanted to see if I could make a Peasant Multicolor Cube. My first version functioned, but I built it right before RtR and had, in my opinion too much mana fixing.

I waited until Dragon's Maze hit streets, revamped the Cube and it's working really well.

I added a few cards from Theros and I'm pretty sure it's where I want it, but I'd be happy to hear ideas.

My criteria are simple: all cards are common or uncommon and, with a small exception in the lands, all cards have two different colored mana symbols in their casting cast and/or textbox.

http://cubetutor.com/cubeblog/1863

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

revengeanceful posted:

This is actually really easy to do with a peasant cube. There's so much fixing available (signets, karoos, gates, refuges, etc.), that if you're not careful you can easily go overboard with it. I really think that you should run the minimum mana-fixing possible to make 5-color viable once every couple drafts, otherwise you end up in the situation where everyone's just picking the best cards and scooping up whatever fixing they need to play them. I feel like I've found that balance in my peasant cube, though I am always looking for ways to make it better. My list is here, for the curious: https://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/72

Man oh man this is spot on. This is exactly what happened with the first version of my Peasant Multicolor Cube. First round, take the bombs. Second time, grab all the fixing. Play all the cards.

Can I ask how you got Cube Tutor to organize your lands under the multicolor headings?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 5, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

revengeanceful posted:

You have to change the color identity manually in the Edit List area, where you can also specify the set/rarity/foil status/etc of all the cards in your cube.

Awesome, thanks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zoness posted:

I like the idea but I feel like three-color cards are a little too narrow, given that the fixing isn't great (by design) and you're likely to go three colors because the saturation of cards for a 2-color deck isn't there so three-color cards are not going to see much competition.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. My idea was that the Shard cards would be really powerful, strong enough to warrant a slightly weaker manabase. In practice, almost every deck is at least three colors, so the Shard cards are mostly big bombs (Slave of Bolas, Gloryscale, etc) and really flexible cards (Crystallization, Ambush Beetle, etc)

quote:

Also I think cluestones are weak and for guild artifacts you should go for Keyrunes/Cluestones.
I assume you mean Signets? Signets are really really strong, a bit stronger than I'd like. I agree that Cluestones are pretty weak, but they get the job done without enabling an easy five color deck.

quote:

Also RUG seems really good.
I don't think you're wrong, but Grixis seems like it has the most power. Do you mean too strong? Do you think specific cards need to be watched?

quote:

How do you feel about certain utility lands like Vitu-Ghazi? I feel like tokens could use another generator like that to make something like Naya Tokens work (Tokens + Hit // Run :getin:).
If you look, I have Prahv, Skarrg and Sunhome; I'm counting them as spells, because they make colorless. I thought about Vitu-Ghazi, but five mana for a 1/1 isn't good enough to warrant removing another card from the most stacked guild.

Rix-Maadi might be good enough, but I think that's the only guild land I'd consider adding.

I appreciate you looking at the Cube and critiquing it.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 23, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zoness posted:

I was more thinking that cards like Dromar's Charm and Naya Charm are really not going to be hotly contested given the nature of the cube. This may or may not be okay, I was just thinking that I was never excited to see one that wasn't in my color combination. Actually I guess the thing isn't so much about RUG as U/R/x having what on the surface seems like the most saliently flexible plan compared to the other color combinations.

Also I didn't see the utility lands in the spells section :blush:.

In my experience drafting the Cube, people end up in the same shard or at least guild reasonably often. Naya Charm is a very powerful effect and if I passed it, I wouldn't expect to see it again.

Then again, last night I saw Savage Twister fifth pick in pack three, so maybe I'm just crazy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So this is the new multicolor focused cheap cube I've been teching with:

http://cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/6399

It could be a lot more expensive but we wanted to go with an affordable theme. It's wizard themed with a lot of strong control for all colors. I think right now G/R and R/B have the weakest combo cards but their vanilla access is really strong so they should be fine. I also think you can run a mono color deck if you get the right picks (and splash some friendly dual lands maybe).

I debated putting in some invasion block lairs but those shits are expensive these days for some reason (with a few exceptions the goal was all cards under a dollar).

I didn't look too closely at your color sections, but as someone who made a cheap multicolor cube, a number of your multicolor choices confuse me, specifically Dawnglow Infusion, lack of Firespout and Savage Twister, inclusion of the more marginal guild charms and Dragon charms and a number of Shard choices.

Obviously, your Cube, your rules, but I am curious. You're running rares and fewer multicolor cards than me, but you're still running a number of cards I either cut or never considered.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:stare:

I think you are a bit too sensitive. You posted your Cube and we critiqued it. Responding to critiques of your Cube with a giant wall of text saying that we don't understand Cubing is a bit of an overreaction.

You're right, people like drafting and they like drafting new things. There's a difference between drafting a low power level set that's balanced and a low power level Cube that's not.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 4, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

People have talked about making Modern Masters Cubes with multiple commons and uncommons. I haven't drafted one, but there are articles about the process available.

I would suggest a single set rather than a full block. Fewer individual cards to acquire; you just need multiples of some cards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have a very special Cube that I've been tinkering with for the last few years: No rares, all cards have at least two colored mana symbols. I just recently finished updating it through the end of Khans block.

While I definitely know I need to actually draft it a few times, I can't help wanting to continue tinkering with it. The biggest change I'm thinking about is abolishing the no rare rule.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/1863

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I'm not sure I like the 1 drops, just because it seems like they'll almost never get played on time. I did a couple mock drafts and it seems like you might be a touch short on fixing, because I assume everyone will be prioritizing it over anything else and you'll need enough for every drafter to get some or else the decks will play out reeeeal clunky. Maybe add the borderposts from alara reborn and/or the banners from khans?

Yeah, this is the third or fourth version of the Cube and I've intentionally scaled the mana fixing back because I didn't everyone to just go five colors and play literally all the spells.

I may have gone too far in the other direction. That said, I'm leery of anything that adds three colors, because it makes adding extra colors a lot easier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm not sure that adding extra fixing will make straight two colors possible either though, because there are only so many cards in every guild.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Any fun cube plays recently? Friend was playing a u/g pod deck splashing recurring nightmare against another friend on worldknit. Worldknit guy has shackles and steals pestermite then plays a Kiki-jiki the turn before pod player could've recurring nightmared a terrastodon. And that was for the match. We died.

Worldknit guy had actual islands out, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Is there a Naya colored card that's any good at all? I started with Woolly Thoctar and it was maybe ok at best if you had great mana, it was switched to Naya Charm and I think that's only made 1 deck in a couple months of having it. Trace of Abundance and Meglonoth both seem like they might be OK, but neither feel like a payoff or anything. I like having a cycle of 1 card for each allied shard but RWG is making it hard.

Fiery Justice is pretty strong. Marisi's Twinclaws is okay.

Thornscape Battlemage?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bhsman posted:

As an aside, what is an appropriate amount of basic lands to keep on hand for a 360 cube? Assuming I'll have 8 players at most for a session.

30-35 should be adequate, depending on how heavily you support mono vs multicolor.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bhsman posted:

That's much less than I expected, actually. :lol: I guess I expected a number in the 40-50 range, but thank you either way. :)

If your colors are deep enough that two players can draft mono with no non-basics, they'll need ~17 each, which is 34.

If that's the case, it's unlikely that anyone else will be in that color.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh, poo poo, did I not make that explicit? Yeah, 30-35 of each basic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Aston posted:

Is anyone else entering the Cube Design Contest that WotC are running? Deadline's coming up in a couple of days!

Oh man, I'm glad I have a couple of days off, I'm totally doing this!

Thanks a lot for letting me know this exists.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't see a Windswept Heath or a Wooded Foothills!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think set Cubes are generally 4 of each common, 2 of each uncommon, 1 of each rare and then make packs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

-Do I need or want multicolor cards? I just think that it might be hard to do that meaningfully with only commons.

Hard, certainly, but not impossible. There are some very good multicolor and hybrid commons that you should definitely run.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I've only read the UW section and I vomited a bit in my mouth.

A Vastly Superior Multicolor Cube

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Why do only Boros and Izzet get signets? Also, having Power Play in the cube without other Conspiracies to balance it out is a diiiiiiick move.

Because the Boros and Izzet Keyrune are very bad.

I can agree that Power Play and Unexpected Potential should probably come out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Double Stroke with Time Walk sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Agent of Acquisitions is too good to not run, because who hasn't had that time when they wanted to take an entire pack?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Half a land.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

En Fuego posted:

I am also considering either the Talisman cycle or the signet cycle for artifact ramp for all colors.

Were you planning to flesh out the Talismans to be for all 10 guilds?

Alternately, you could do the Borderposts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

En Fuego posted:

Woof. I thought there were 10 for some reason. Probably go signets, then.

AMA about colored mana producing artifacts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Keyrunes are definitely good, except for costing 3.

Also, the Izzet and Boros ones aren't amazing. Especially the Izzet one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Even just signet's that require (to keep the Gruul example) (R/G), Tap to generate GR would go a long way to "fixing" signets. Because tbf they are extremely powerful even for the off color ramp.

I brainstormed the possibility of artifact filter lands, which would be "R/G, T: Add RR, RG or GG."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

If they're lands I don't think they'd need to be artifacts. Though I think they'd be perfect for Guilds how is that different than the existant filter lands like Mystic Gate?

Because they'd be artifacts and not lands?

Gruul Thingy 2
Artifact
R/G, T: Add RR, RG or GG to your mana pool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

So for those of you looking to make a Un-Cube, how do you intend to address the variants?

I'm still figuring that out. For Secret Base, it's pretty straightforward, I'll have a full set of each one in the commons, but Very Cryptic Command is another story. I'm considering getting 1 copy of each variant and keeping them separate, then randomly adding one of those to the set of rares to make packs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

I'm running about or I'd crunch the #s on this myself. From a number crunching standpoint do all the variants bring it up to enough for a 360 singleton?

It's 216 before variants. There are not 150 variants.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Print a custom textless very cryptic command, and randomly hand out a copy of VCC to anyone brave enough o draft it.

:stare: That's actually genius. I can do that same for Ineffable Blessing and Everythingamajig

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Why do you have a million Cities of Brass?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TheTofuShop posted:

I have to think all the multiples are intentional, but that's the first thing that sticks out to me. How has the multiple bolts / paths / city of brass worked for you?

have you had a draft where someone goes mono red and gets 3+ bolts? that seems scary as hell

I missed that, there's also three Counterspells and two Cryptics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow those look clean as hell