Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
My 360 Peasant cube that I'm currently in the process of rebuilding because I'm not sure I'm happy with it.

-I really want solid archetypes within color or colors. While I'm still considering what those might be and how best to syngerize colors, I'm very tired of my cube playing like a less-cohesive core set where everything is goodstuf.dec. How much of a set needs to be dedicated to a given theme for it to be occasionally playable in Sealed without dominating the color? I'm eyeing Lifegain, Twiddling, Dredge, Flashback for WUBG appropriately....not sure what to do with Red.

-Is a cycle of artifact mana fixing too much? I'm currently using the Keyrunes because of how well they play in Ravnica block, but their power levels really vary. I was thinking of using a Cluestone/Signet/Keyrune mix, if I keep the cycle.

-Has anyone tried a pauper/peasant cube with limited rares? I was considering a single un-bomby toolbox or utility rare in each booster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Does this actually work or is it not a particularly good idea?

It works pretty well; I've done it for every set since Innistrad. I grab a Peasant playset off of ebay for $20-40(sadly, not MM), cut 25-50% of the lovely/unbalancing uncommons depending on the set, shuffle and divide into 4 Uncommons/11 Commons and Bob's your uncle.

It's not perfect. Shuffling ~700 cards is a total bitch, especially if they're unsleeved. Also, it really sucks to drop $60 in sleeves at a time. Plus, since you're shuffling it yourself, you can have some REALLY lovely or skewed packs. It's weird to make three picks and not even see any blue cards for example, but that's just a general problem with cubing.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

How does everyone feel about Un-cards? I'm currently using Booster Tutor, Common Courtesy, Symbol Status, and Blast from the Past. Booster Tutor is so fun I'm considering making four custom cards to complete a booster-meddling cycle. I think Symbol Status is too drat much of a bomb, but I suppose that's my fault for using a mishmash of lands. Toy Boat is a good generic guy, but I found Duh just didn't end up worth it my cube.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Is this high one-drop count suggestion true for peasant as well?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Almost all cubes are singleton, as far as I know. Gates are excellent, multiples or not. My Peasant 360 manabase is:

-10 Ravnica Karoos
-5 Ally Refuges
-5 Enemy Guildgates
-5 Urza's manlands
-5 Vivid lands
-Mirrodin's Core, Terramorphic Expanse, Evolving Wilds, Rupture Spire, and Transguild Promenade.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

I forgot I had Meekstone in my cube, and the brand new player drafts it alongside Azorious Guildmage, Diabolic tutor, a bunch of Keyrunes and Travel Preparations. :(

I feel obligated to keep the power level as high as possible, but drat some cards sure are unfun.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

I run a no-limits Peasant Cube, and you'd probably be doing yourself a favor opening it up to Modern at least. There's only a handful of expensive uncommons, a lot of them brought down a bit by Modern Masters. And even for just lands, there's easily 40-50 quality lands to include.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

At the moment my 450 cube uses multicolor like so:

35 Gold, three of each color plus one of each arc: Generally centerpiece cards or psuedo-bombs that can direct your deckbuilding, a la Theros. Gold cards focus your deck and limit choice, so they should pay off for the investment. I've tried to keep the 2-for-1 cards restricted to here. The arc cards haven't worked out and I'm probably going to remove them with my next revision.

20 Hybrid, two of each color: Small utility creatures that fill holes or combat tricks. These are the opposite of gold cards, being much more flexible, so I wanted them to be fun to play but not key players.

10 "Color Splash" cards like Battlemages: Mostly to have somewhere to put a few solid cross-color guys I like. This is probably my weakest cycle in the cube, and I'd advise to simply mix them in with your golds.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

There are some crazy ones out there.

-Force of Will
-Maze of Ith
-Berserk
-Animate Dead
-Land Tax
-Meekstone
-Mystic Remora
-Pestilence
-Ashnod's Altar
-Demonic Tutor

In general, overall increasing power levels lead to most of cube being made up of recent cards, or at least recent creatures.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Speaking of bombs, are there any Peasant cards that have been found format-warping? I've barely played it in its new 450-count form, but the current suspects in my cube are:

-Meekstone, which I've already removed after a newer player went 3-0 with this and four-color bears
-AEther Vial
-Skullclamp
-Waterfront Bouncer
-Pestilence/Pyrohemia

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Man, and I was bitching about how sleeving my peasant cube costs like $70. Well done, sir.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, I feel like the "3 free on-color evasion weenies in my deck" is a bigger advantage in a draft than actually fetching them, so I'm down with the Command Zone idea. I'm not sure if it's still too strong, but it's not disruptive as something like Skullclamp so it's worth playing with.

edit: Sorry, looking at this from the perspective of a Peasant Cube owner so it terms of power level it's definitely among the elite there.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 11, 2014

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

I stole this spreadsheet from somewhere and got a lot of use out of it before I found out about Cube Tutor. Lots of typing.

I meant to add P/T ratios to it but, Cube Tutor.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

White has much better flyers, and black has Sengir Vampire, but both cost double colored. Blue has Horizon Scholar(and half of Moroii), Red has two Dragons(also double), so only Green is left without a big dude in the air. I'd say it's only going to be valuable with an artifact theme to exploit its type.

Thanks for the awesome writeup. Past those, Oppressive Rays looks appealing in aggro, and Thassa's Ire looks sick with crew of Merfolk. Golden Hind goes into my ramp-centric green like a boss and Desperate Stand is going to blow some bitches out.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2014

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Null1fy posted:

I got banned for a week for discussing proxies lol

Wait, what?

MTG Salvation posted:

Discussion on the creation of physical proxies is forbidden.

are you kidding me?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

So I've drawn up a Pauper Cube and it's taught me two things so far:

-Red is mindblowingly boring in its common effects.

-Black is crazy overpowered.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Copy-paste of Zorak's list of new Pauper scores from Vintage Masters:

quote:

Addle
Afterlife
Arrogant Wurm
Battle Screech
Beetleback Chief
Brindle Shoat
Chainer's Edict
Circular Logic
Claws of Wirewood
Dauthi Mercenary
Elephant Guide
Elvish Aberration
Gilded Light
Goblin Commando
Goblin General
Killer Whale
Mana Prism
Mistmoon Griffin
Predatory Nightstalker
Skirge Familiar
Skirk Drill Sergeant
Tangle
Tribute to the Wild
Exile
Soltari Emissary

Edict, Beetleback Chief, Goblin General, and Tangle are all pretty sick gains, and I think a solid pauper Madness is possible now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

M15 Pauper Thoughts:

Oppressive Rays - Possibly a tool for white aggro? Spending one more mana to get a permanent Pacifism isn't a large ask, but three mana for one guy is a lot and would slow down controllish decks quite well.

Heliod's Pilgrim - Finally, the enabler enchantment archetypes needed. Going straight in mine.

Amphin Pathmage - An expensive Covert Operative, until you hit six mana and start sending two to the dome. I'm more interested in using this guy to fuel Cipher and Ophidian shenanigans than playing boring innate-unblockable guys like Invisible Stalker.

Glacial Crasher - Great blue finisher and enables U/R without having 'instant or sorcery' written on it. I feel like MaRo wouldn't have greenlighted this.

Frost Lynx - This feels like one of those 'should've been in Alpha' cards. Perfect tempo staple.

Rotfeaster Maggot - A nice defensive card in a format where black can't do much with their opponent's dead guys.

Shadowcloak Vampire - Nice replacement for Sengir at Pauper. Going right in.

Crowd's Favor - Wins combat for a blocker for free, but I don't think it's better than Weapon Surge.

Borderland Marauder - Best value red has at two. Score.

Generator Servant - The other amazing two drop. Also notable for showing off red's fast mana mechanic without being a broken Storm card.

Undergrowth Scavenger - Dredge has been hard to construct in Pauper, mainly due to a limited number of ways to exploit it, but this guy fits the bill. It's too bad he's vanilla for four mana.