Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, with peasant cubes you usually have to try a bit harder to make aggro viable, because the most impactful cards in cube are the midrange-y good creatures (like Cloudgoat Ranger, Blastoderm, Serra Angel, Kitchen Finks, etc.) which have a side-effect of stopping aggro dead in its tracks. Control can handle midrange just fine because it has access to good removal, good defensive early drops, quality card draw and even good ways to finish the game (creatures like Jetting Glasskite, flocks of fliers, token swarms, pingers). Also, a lot of good aggressive 1 and 2 drops in non-peasant cubes are rare (Gravecrawler, Goblin Guide, Stormkirk Noble, Student of Warfare)

Skarrg Guildmage is really good, in my opinion. I'm considering adding it instead of Gruul Charm in my gruul section. The only reason I haven't added it yet is because I have a lot of fliers and I want to keep them in check. But I'm going from 360 to 420 soon and most new creatures are going to be non-fliers so I might make the switch then.

I've been looking at a lot of peasant lists on the mtgsalvation forums, and while they can give you really good ideas for some awesome cards or serve as a starting point for a cube, the lists there tend to resemble each other quite a bit, probably because they discuss single cards a lot, so there's some groupthink going on. So my advice would be if you like a card and you evaluate that it's a good card (like Skarrg Guildmage), just put it in. I have some kind of janky cards that I run either because they're just pet cards (like Delay, Oona's Grace, Phthisis) or because I want to support some archetype (like Vedalken Entrancer, Mind Grind, and Millstone to keep mill as a control finisher)

Here's my cube if it helps, it'd also be cool to get some opinions on it from people in this thread: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/3658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

In my peasant cube, the reanimate spells actually see play in normal midrange builds, and even control builds. It's a pretty fresh cube so no one has drafted a straight reanimator deck yet, but stuff like Ulamog's Crusher and Artisan of Kozilek did get played in ramp strategies, and with good results.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Kasonic posted:

Speaking of bombs, are there any Peasant cards that have been found format-warping? I've barely played it in its new 450-count form, but the current suspects in my cube are:

-Meekstone, which I've already removed after a newer player went 3-0 with this and four-color bears
-AEther Vial
-Skullclamp
-Waterfront Bouncer
-Pestilence/Pyrohemia
Isn't Meekstone rare?

Anyway, AEther VIal is not really a problem, since you can't have multiples, so if you don't have it in your opening hand, it's actually not a very good draw. Skullclamp is obviously busted, but other cards that can be format-warping are:

- Loxodon Warhammer
- Grafted Wargear
- Isochron Scepter
- Behemoth Sledge

I run all of those except for Loxodon Warhammer, but I have included some more artifact destruction to deal with them. Grafted Wargear is probably the most busted, since you pretty much always slam it, no matter what. Got a 1/1? Enjoy, it's now a 4/3 for 0 equip cost. A 2/1 flyer? It's now a 5/3. Plus it's a sac outlet. I might consider removing it. Isochron Scepter is cool cause you can build your deck around it if you get it early in the draft, but late in the draft it's not nearly as good. It's one of those high variance cards that can be really really strong or just meh. Behemoth Sledge is bonkers too, but it does require two colors.

Oh, also Propaganda/Ghostly Prison are usually bad for peasant cube. They just destroy aggro and usually the aggro player can't do anything to deal with them.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

You can just include a few, so that you're able to make a deck that has several of them. In my cube I don't particularly try to support werewolves and I run Reckless Waif (awesome aggro card), Afflicted Deserter, Gatstaf Shepherd and Lambholt Elder.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I bought like 500 ultra pro black sleeves in bulk for around 30 dollars and it's worth it, I can easily run all the flip cards (I also run Cloistered Youth, it's good) and the feeling when handling the cards is much better so I'd recommend the purchase.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Oh yeah if anyone is interested here's my list: http://cubetutor.com/view/4960 the cube is pretty fun

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Grafted Wargear is really powerful. I've banned it from my cube because it was just too good and a windmill slam for any deck,.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

You cut Calcite Snapper over Wall of Frost? That's weird, cause in my experience Calcite Snapper is one of the best creatures in peasant cube. Especially at slowing down aggro, I'd say it's wayyy better than Wall of Frost. The one power matters a lot, while the extra toughness really isn't a big deal. Plus, if the aggro player has some 2/1 creatures, they just can't attack, whereas aggro is fine to attack into Wall of Frost all day, since it's better than just not attacking with anything. And then of course there's shroud, which means that it doesn't die to random Doom Blades and Tragic Slips or whatever.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

quote:

I've got a Modern Peasant Cube that I want to add the odd Wrath effect to. I realize that all proper Wrath effects are rare, so I was going to make an exception. (List is here Modern Peasant Cube). Three questions spring to mind:
1. Is this a stupid idea that will make playing the cube terrible?
2. How many Wraths belong in a 360 card Cube?
3. Which ones? I was thinking that higher cost Wrath effects might be less unbalancing - either Solar Tide or Final Judgement in white, and maybe either Extinguish All Hope, Hex or Life's Finale in black.

There is also a list of cards in the newest post of the cube blog - any must-includes or rejections would be helpful if you have the time.
What about adding some red wraths that do a good job of keeping aggro off of control's back? Stuff like Pyroclasm, Firespout, Sulfurous Blast, Breath of Darigaaz, Slice and Dice, Shower of Coals?

EDIT: drat, I'm stupid, forgot that you were running a modern cube. Sulfurous Blast, Pyroclasm, Firespout, Electrickery, and Whipflare might still be worth including. Still, I'd sooner add a non-modern exception than a rare exception.

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 11, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sorry for casting necromancy on this thread, but I'm making a new legacy-ish cube and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. The list is here: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/4tjv5

It'll mostly be played with 4-6 players, which is why it's 360 and I've avoided the usual combos, like twin, show and tell, reanimator, etc. My logic for that is that the combos take up a lot of slots for cards that are sometimes unplayable by themselves (or just not that interesting). And if you're doing a 4 player draft, you might never draft the other half of your combo and just lose to the player that finds twin. So I'm intending to keep it more aggro vs. midrange vs. control, but we'll see how that plays out. I've also avoided things like wurmcoil and craterhoof and replaced them with cards like skysovereign and decimator of the provinces. So weaker versions of those cards that allow more counterplay.

I'll probably remove the checklands and replace them with dual lands. I'm missing some duals so I'll just take the dominaria typed taplands and sharpie out the etb tapped text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That looks like some very good advice, thanks! Yeah my main concern with this cube is that value midrange will be too dominant. Having a good density of 2-power one drops makes a lot of sense if you want to support aggro. It's a shame that it takes up so much slots for cards that mostly aren't that interesting. But on the other hand, you probably don't want most of your games to be only about midrange cards with a bunch of text. Dang, designing a cube is really hard.