Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Jenx posted:

I don't know about designing Ravnica cubes or whatever, but I now have an urge to add googly eyes to every single card I could reasonable put them in in every deck that I have.

You may well enjoy this.

For some on topic cube chat, a while ago I added Squadron Hawk to my cube, which if you draft you get three extra copies during deckbuilding. So far it's gone down pretty well except that one of the few times I've actually taken it it seemed everyone else had Maelstrom Pulse?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

How were Sparksmith and Legion Loyalist? In this deck and in general?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've uploaded my cube to CubeTutor so you can tear it apart. The one card which might look strange is Squadron Hawk. When you draft it, you get three extra copies during deckbuilding so it's not just a weird Suntail Hawk.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

WhiteWolf123 posted:

5 spells and 4 lands in every guild is a lot for a ~360 card cube. I'd cut 1 of the lands and 2 of the spells in each section unless you move up to 450. And even there, I'd only run 4 spells/lands per section. It would free up a lot of slots for more colorless/monocolored cards, which will land in a much greater percentage of decks than multicolor cards will.

I do like having a big multicoloured section, but I'm going to try this for a few drafts and have updated CubeTutor to reflect it. Let's call them probationary cuts for now.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I agree with that logic and it's the reason I don't run (and haven't ever run) any tri colour cards. I think it was a bit less pronounced in my cube as I had an emphasis on hybrid, but it never hurts to shake things up a bit. I think I'm going to keep at at 360 for a bit though.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So I finally started to make up a list for an idea I've been kicking around for a bit: The Graveyard Cube. For the first draft I'm going for 240 cards, 35 in each colour, 40 multicoloured/dual lands and 25 colourless/five colour lands. The problem I'm having is with white's identity. I feel like there are three main themes it can follow: token sacrifice, Sun Titan type recursion where something small comes back every turn, and an Open the Vaults strategy. It's the last one that I'm struggling with. Any suggestions for that specifically or cards or mechanics which could be in the cube generally would be appreciated.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

KasaiAisu posted:

If you're looking to get some Open the Vaults value, I'd almost go full eggs and do Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward.

Just looking at the white cards, I don't think Auriok Salvagers is great because you have a total of 7 targets for it. I don't think adding more target okay wait a second you could totally just have chromatic stars and lotus bloom and bring them back with the salvagers and whoa I need to draft this now

The most convoluted Salvagers thing I could come up with was Lion's Eye Diamond for infinite mana, regrow Codex Shredder to regrow Arcbound Ravager, make that infinitely big and then Codex Shredder back Fling for the kill.

I'm pretty hyped.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Hatching Plans seems sweet, I'll swap that in for Visions.

Also I drafted this monstrosity on the CubeTutor practices. My god.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It also kind of highlights the problems with two-colour aggro decks, since they need at least an 8/13 split to play one drops of one colour and CC two drops of another, and need to hit those on curve, where more midrangey or control decks can usually wait a turn or play acceleration.

One question: you need 18 sources to have a >75% chance to have four lands on turn 4, but need 19 to have a >75% chance of playing a CCCC 4 drop on turn 4? Why is that?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've heard that some people put Squadron Hawk in their cube as a "draft one, get 3 free" deal, which seems kind of interesting. Anybody have experience with that? What about Urzatron in a similar package?

I do this in my cube, and whilst several of the other people I play with really like the hawks, I've always been a bit underwhelmed by them. If you want to maximise them, you have to cut three other good cards, and in a forty card deck the chances of drawing more than one are obviously much higher. On the other hand, it is one of the few good ways a white aggressive deck can gain card advantage, and they do interact well with cards like Survival of the Fittest and Vengevine. They're certainly not game-breaking.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

RME posted:

My friends and I want to make a cube from the (pretty large at this point) pool of cards we have, and its a little daunting honestly. What's the best way to approach this? Dig through for cards we think are cool and put them in, or should we think of what archetypes we want to play and see what cards fit into them and work from there. There's just a lot to keep track of with color balance and such too. Ideally we'd like to start with what we have and go from there.
Bonus to us if we include a worldslayer archetype.

Yeah you should just start getting cards together and see what your group likes and doesn't. I'd aim for 360 to start with. The most important things at the beginning are colour balance and making sure there's nothing too unfun in there. You can start worrying about archetypes later.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think the best opening I've seen from my cube was turn 2 Tinker for Myr Battlesphere then play Phantasmal Image.

Unfortunately I was the opponent in this case.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I saw a post saying it would be up from the 23rd April, but whether that's with Journey into Nyx cards or not I don't know.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm not sure Talrand's Invocation is the best analogue for Time of Need, since Invocation is a threat in its own right whereas Time of Need can only upgrade your existing guys. I do think Time of Need is good, and Talrand's Invocation might be the right cut for it, but they are pretty different.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So with Conspiracy coming out next week, is anyone thinking about trying out some conspiracies in their cube? I know I'm certainly going to give Worldknit (all your lands tap for every colour if you play every card you draft), and probably Advantageous Proclamation (maximum deck size is -5 cards). I could also see an argument for Back Up Plan (draw 2 hands before mulligans) and Unexpected Potential (secretly name a card, you can spend mana of any colour to cast that card). For the normal cards, I might try the 1WW exile a creatue and Grenzo, the XBR Goblin with 2: put the bottom card of your library into your graveyard and if it's a creature with power less than Grenzo's then you can put it into play.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

After watching several Vintage Masters drafts, I've been looking at Astral Slide as a possible inclusion in my cube. The problem is that whilst it is a powerful card in the right deck, it is both extremely narrow and does nothing on its own. There's also an element of any deck it is included in being built around the effect it gives, although obviously that generally means cards with cycling and creatures with good comes-into-play abilities, both of which are fine on their own. Unfortunately I do not get to cube as often as I'd like, so in lieu of testing this I'm just going to lay out my thoughts for feedback.

The main issue is that in order to support Slide, there must be a critical mass of cyclers in the cube. Having a quick look through my list (found here, though it's currently kind of in the middle of an update) shows I currently have a grand total of two: Decree of Justice and Miscalculation. The question is then how many cube-viable cyclers are there, and how many cards can we afford to run just because they have cycling? I think that there's a pretty good argument for cards like Krosan Tusker, Undead Gladiator and Eternal Dragon, and some cubes probably run these already, but cards like these drop off pretty quickly. It's probably not too much of a stretch to include some cycling lands - I prefer the Slippery Karst type over the Tranquil Thicket type, as they are more easily run off colour, but are cards like Wild Dogs, Cloud of Faeries or even Akroma's Vengeance really strong enough any more? I don't want to include cards that don't fit in any other deck than Slide - the lands at least synergise with Life from the Loam/Fastbond/Crucible, and the others are strong enough in their own right.

A secondary issue is that I at least would want to spread things through at least 2-3 colours other than white, so that if you draft Slide you're not forced into the same deck every time. Green-White with Life from the Loam and Eternal Witness and White-Black around Undead Gladiator for unlimited cycling and Nekrataals both seem pretty reasonable, but how do you build White-Blue or White-Red? Should these be supported? I hate the feeling in cube of it being a bunch of archetypes the designer has shuffled together and it's just my job to try and reassemble these from the packs I'm given, and I think this is a real possibility with Slide due to the limitations of the cards available.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has already tested Astral Slide, and if so what the results are, and if not whether you think I'm crazy to even consider it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

BJPaskoff posted:

A cube-like box that my friend has he calls a "Battle Box". Each player takes one of each basic land and one of each allied-color guild gate and puts them in the command zone. Both players play off the same deck, which is a stack of ~200 non-land cards, and can play one land from the command zone each turn. It's a lot of fun, and I'm thinking of ideas to build my own - such as a battle box with fewer cards, but effects that put things on the top/bottom of the library as well as lots of shuffle effects so the deck keeps recycling itself.

Ben Stark did a really good primer here which I used to start my own battle box. It's good fun, it's very different to cube in the play experience but much better with 2 and obviously a much faster set-up time.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

KasaiAisu posted:

I've found that trying to make a tribal cube is a trap. It's definitely possible but the picks become brainless once you know which tribe you are, and deckbuilding is pretty boring too.

I think it might be possible to make an interesting tribal cube, but you'd have to have something like 10-12 tribes straddling different colours with as many creatures with two relevant types as possible, and are good enough on their own that other drafters might want them anyway. Whether or not there are enough creatures like that (Fauna Shaman? Snapcaster Mage?) to support an entire cube, I don't know, but eventually I'm going to get around to putting together a list.

Of course, I also want it to be particularly for 6 man Rochester Draft which is a format no-one ever plays, so I think my plans are doomed from the start.

I just want a cube where someone can get excited about first-picking Fever Charm.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Don't you sass me

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Look at this guy who's too good for trained armodon

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Surely that guy's worse than Bloodgift Demon.

How do you feel about Liliana Vess?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Never pass Jitte. Ever.

I lost a game to a monored deck when they drew something like 13 lands and 4 spells, and two of those spells were Jitte and Rabblemaster.

Edit: also re: Swords v Jitte, I think the problem with swords (and body and mind in particular) is that they're super swingy from just ok when your opponent isn't playing the protection colours to absurd when they are. Body and Mind vs a blue green deck that can't remove it in one turn is 99% of the time game over.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Rabblemaster on its own would have been ok as it would just make tokens suicide into my guys every turn. Much worse when those suicides get 2 jitte counters each time.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I really like 4 player with 5 packs of 9 each, then doing 1v1s. I think if you wanted to do multiplayer or 2HG, you'd have to construct the cube to reflect this as a lot of the cards which are good in cube usually, like 1-for-1 removal/counterspells drop off hard in value when you're playing multiplayer.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think you have a few problems:

Number one is cards which are way too narrow in that they're played in one archetype and unplayable outside of it (eg Elvish Champion, Triplicate Spirits)
Number two is that the delta between the most powerful and least powerful cards is enormous. I like Jeskai Windscout and Jace The Mindsculptor chilling next to each other
Number three is that a lot of cards are just plan bad or worse versions of other cards

I would also say that your multicoloured section is way too big, but that's more a taste thing than anything else.

There are a couple of other things I would mention like the aggro support vs the rest is very wonky, and the mana curve in general seems very high.

I hope you don't find this too offputting, and take it as constructive feedback.

I also have to ask, what role do you hope Norin the Wary will fill?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Looks like it could be Feldon of the Third Path

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Andante posted:

It's probably Warden of the First Tree, a new rare in Fate Reforged that kind of hearkens back to Figure of Destiny.

Are you trying to suggest that Feldon of the Third Way doesn't go in green aggro decks?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Don't buy counterfeits, you shouldn't give money to those people. If you make some proxies with a good colour printer and they'll look just as good in sleeves.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm thinking of trying the megamorph that regrowths something.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I have some thoughts I want to type up on three colour cards in cube.

I'm going to preface this by saying that my design philosophy with regard to cube is that you want as few "narrow" cards as possible that only go in one deck - stuff like storm enablers like Seething Song and cards which require three or more colours of mana - as in the majority of drafts they're going to end up as 15th picks rotting in someone's sideboard.

That said, on the back of Khans there are a lot of powerful new three colour cards and I'm thinking about maybe giving a few (specifically one of each three colour combination) of them a shot. However, for me, it's not enough for these cards to be powerful; the cube is already full of efficient creatures, and the trade-off of having three colour cards which are only going to make a maindeck in one out of three drafts or whatever means that simply being powerful is not enough. So for a three colour card to be a consideration, it has to both be powerful and have a unique or interesting effect that I can't find elsewhere.

For example, take Siege Rhino. There's no doubt that it is a very strong card and probably in a vacuum the best option for Abzan. However, I don't think it's enough better than similar cards like Bloodbraid Elf or Restoration Angel to warrant its inclusion. I think for this reason a better Abzan card is Doran the Siege Tower, as taking him early allows you to craft your deck around him and completely changes the draft dynamic. I figure, if you're going to include cards which are made narrow by virtue of their colours then you may as well have narrow effects whilst you're doing so.

That said, this opens up some other issues. Putting Doran in your cube is like making a promise to your players that there will be enough cards in the draft pool that support him to make a "Doran deck", and currently at least I'm not sure there are that many creatures in Abzan colours with significantly higher toughness than power that are cubeable. Courser of Kruphix is the only one that springs to mind, although of course Restoration Angel, Tarmogoyf, Noble Hierarch etc all benefit as well.

The second issue is that what if you build a Doran deck and only draw him in half your games or even none at all? You have a collection of big butts that don't really do anything. Doran is in a pretty good spot by virtue of being a green creature, so he's pretty easy to find, but this problem extends to the other three colour cards as well.

My question therefore is can you assist me in finding three colour cards which fit the above criteria? So far, I think Doran is a good choice for Abzan, Jeskai Ascendancy for Jeskai and possibly Sidisi for Sultai, but I'm coming up pretty short for the others. Even those would require a reasonable amount of re-jigging my cube so that their themes are supported.

Just to be clear, cards like Wild Nacatl and Taisgur are classed as single coloured in my cube since you don't need three colours to play them.

I'm going to finish by saying Sphinx of the Steel Wind (along with Siege Rhino) is what prompted this post since I think it has no place in any cube. I would be interested to hear counterarguments though.

For reference, here's my current list: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/6050

It's not really updated to Theros as I generally wait for standard rotation to pick stuff up cheap, but there are some random cards I've opened in limited from the last two blocks.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sphinx being a "Tinker target" is also something I particularly dislike or don't agree with, since there are options which are also just castable in other decks - I run Myr Battlesphere and Sundering Titan, and you could also include Wurmcoil Engine in that category, but even if you wanted a few more then there's things like Inkwell Leviathan. Out of curiosity, do you class Sphinx as Esper or Colourless or some other colour identity, or do you not worry about that?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It does sound like the cube experience that you're building is drastically different from mine, as my cube is non-powered and doesn't have very many ways to cheat creatures into play, so things like Sphinx will probably play out pretty differently.

I had a look at your list on Cubetutor and as far as I could see, the make up is pretty similar to mine - 440 cards with three duals per colour pair. How often do you get three colour decks? Are they three colours straight or 2 colours with a splash?

Also in mine I drafted on Saturday and lost to 4 colour aggro with a million 1 and 2 drops playing the Worldknit deck for the first time. That's a fun card.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The first thing that jumped out at me is that your mulitcolour section is huge and the fixing does not appear to be great. I feel this mind end up with the second half of packs being full of gold cards no one wants. There's nothing wrong with having a heavy multicolour preference, but make sure there are enough good lands to allow your players to cast them. Your overall curve is pretty high so I think aggro might struggle, but again that can be a conscious decision about the kind of environment you want to make.

There are also a few specific card choices I don't really like (leonin scimitar, defy death I remember particularly stood out) but changing those kind of things around will come with time.

One thing i'd suggest is since you're already happy breaking singleton, try 2-3 birthing pods as it tends not to be great when you only have one in your deck.

The best thing you can do though is just build it and draft it a whole bunch, and draft it on cube tutor. Any cards or themes which aren't pulling their weight will pretty quickly become evident.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

You could have a look at this article which goes in some different directions with red.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

For me it's jace and kytheon. Don't think anything else is quite there.

I want flameshadow conjuring to be good so bad and I might try it anyway.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

How about this: evoke Mulldrifter, pay R to make a copy, in response to evoke trigger play undying evil on it and then when it comes back pay R to make a copy.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've recently gone up to 2x fetch and the difference it makes it incredible, would recommend

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

That's a lot of dragons!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

There's a huge delta in power level between your most powerful cards and your least powerful, which is kind of weird. I'm also not a huge fan of having three colour cards basically at all, so two of each is crazy to me, although that's more of a taste thing. Your mana curve looks very high. I'm not convinced on some of the themes you want to support either.

Really though there's no substitute for testing it and seeing what works and what doesn't. There's cool stuff in there - 10 evolving wilds is interesting, even if I'd prefer the Khans/Zendikar fetches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Four Score posted:

Any advice for a Kamigawa cube?

Probably leave out Umexawa's Jitte.