Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
http://cubetutor.com/draft/1034

This is a convenient thread. I've been putting together this monstrosity the last month. It's pretty heavy on gold cards (my kitchen table group has loved drafting DGR) and I think I'm going to cut one from each colour to add some more artifacts. Comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Jenx posted:

I tried this out, and ended up with this monstrosity. I kept seeing all kinds of bombs, but little to no ramp, so I ended up just drafting every signet I could find (and I think I still missed one, since it didn't table). I'm not quite sure what Gifts is doing in this deck, but I figured I might as well use it to find me all kinds of signets and stuff.

I think part of the problem is that my buddy who was also behind this wanted to have a Samurai subtheme just because he had a bunch of them sitting around. I've cut a bunch out already but I have the feeling that there's even more to go... every time I see Iwamori I cringe.

I'm finding that getting the right amount of ramp is tricky in >360 cubes. I mean I have all the signet, some other rocks, ~4 G dorks, another 4 G spells. It really sucks when none of that shows up in the actual draft. I think I'm going to at least squeeze in the new m14 dork. How many sweet fat dudes is too much? Cuts are hard.

Also how are you guys handling making cuts? I was planning on having everyone just take a cellphone pick of their deck and board after the game and tell me the card they thought was most useless? Collect that info to see who goes?

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Well, I finally actually got 6 kids together to try and cube. It was honestly a gongshow because we didn't get #6 over until late so we only had maybe 2-3 hours to do it. The draft itself was a blast though. Pack one for me was kinda mediocre so I decided to commit to two colours right away and grab Lightning Helix. I just grabbed every single Boros 1/2 drop that came my way and P2P1 I lucksacked into a pack with Jitte. Ended up with a pretty monster aggro deck and smashed the two games I was able to play.

So basically, yeah I'm hooked and no regrets about the couple $ I sunk into the cube in addition to all the cards already in my collection.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Boros aggro is one of the most commonly drafted decks in my cube.

Yeah, I've told everyone multiple times that aggro is A Thing but I suspect it will take a couple drafts before that sinks in. Of course though on the other end of the scale one of my buddies lived the dream and multiple times managed to Tinker into Blightsteel Colossus.

I think that my playgroup is going to be firmly 6+players? Cube, otherwise EDH from now on. And that's a good thing. Although I still have enough packs for 2 more DGR drafts. Oh well cube is a lot more fun!

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

WhiteWolf123 posted:

This was what I found as well. Players that are stuck in the mindset of "this is cube, so I'll always be able to hardcast my fatties off land mana alone" were in for a rude awakening when 1/3 of the decks at the table run them over way before that can happen. Aggro is powerful, and important for keeping control in check in the cube, and players now respect (and expect) aggro to be competitive in each and every draft. It really changes the dynamic of the cube, and makes the environment much healthier when aggro goes from being a fringe deck with the possibility of being drafted to a powerhouse that is expected to win drafts.

Not supporting aggro adequately is probably the most common pitfall that fledgling cube lists struggle with. That, and having too much multicolor and/or not enough fixing lands.

I am 100% guilty of too many gold cards. But we'll see after a couple drafts what the impact is or if I'm going to have to make some painful cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I don't cube any 3-color gold cards (except Nacatl). So I think that's a good plan.

Always Nico Bolas, Planeswalker!

One day I'll pull this off: http://cubetutor.com/cubedeck/11834

In our inaugural draft one of my buddies actually did a GU ramp+tinker deck and managed to every game either manage to tinker our or just hard cast Blightsteel.