Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Both Tezzerets love the 6 artifact lands. Perhaps those? Also Thirst for Knowledge and Etherium Sculptor are always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

I once had a powered cube and sometimes we took out (number of players)*2 legendary creatures and drafted those before normally drafting, made mini-edhs. It took a bit longer and honestly never really worked but it's nice to switch things up every now and then.

Also if you go through with that you should totally use the Lorwyn cycle of incarnations because even though the purity player will be sad, cycles are awesome today I learned that cycle isn't legendary. What the hell?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

I had cheatyface in my cube because I absolutely love the card, and it doesn't exactly break apart the format as a 2/2 flying for 0. Firstpick worthy though. We all had tons of fun with it.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Often you'd only do maybe one "best of 3" before drafting again. Spending over 5 hours cubing is fantastic though :allears:

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

I'm not a fan of running aggro in anything that isn't constructed, just because it's not consistent enough. Even if you do get a couple good 1 drops, they need to be in your opening hand to be worthwhile. Midrange dinosaurs or bust :black101:

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Your local card shop probably sells dragon shields, those are what you're going to want for your cube since they'll be played quite often and shuffled by a variety of people. For bulk foils I'd just do scg, looks like they sell for a dollar apiece which isn't too bad.

I wouldn't pimp the mana base for your first cube though, rather spend that money on the cube itself. Just my two cents

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Oh man a double sleeved cube would be huge though. I guess it depends what kind of cards are in it and how paranoid you are.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Why the stomping ground?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

No azami or patron wizard, aw. Looks like there aren't really any big dudes so there's probably no chance of playing aggro. Annul? Also you definitely need more nonbasics because it looks really difficult to go even dual colour with all these wedge wizards going around.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Well on the topic of artifact removal in blue, I'd prefer Steel Sabotage since that at least does something if it's already resolved. But blue not having answers to artifacts is actually fine, it's a reason to go other colours.

Multicolour budget is going to be really difficult to balance properly. You could maybe run the Flinthoof Boar cycle, Bloodhall Ooze etc. Its important to have cards that can go in multiple decks otherwise every draft will feel the same; Slave of Bolas is wonderful for this because it's very powerful and splashable. I tend to shy away from the wizards with two different colour abilities because they really only go in one deck. If you're only getting one of the abilities then it's usually a "23rd card", which I never like having to do.

I'd also run the slow fetches, including terramorphic and evolving, and maybe some 5 colour lands like city of brass. There should also definitely be some artifact ramp that fixes, like Coalition Relic or Darksteel Ingot.

edit: I took a closer look at the multicoloured cards, found they were mostly just 2 colour, so it's not quite as much of a problem as I originally thought. though I really dont like wings of hope

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 31, 2013

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

If you're looking to get some Open the Vaults value, I'd almost go full eggs and do Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward.

Just looking at the white cards, I don't think Auriok Salvagers is great because you have a total of 7 targets for it. I don't think adding more target okay wait a second you could totally just have chromatic stars and lotus bloom and bring them back with the salvagers and whoa I need to draft this now

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Aston posted:

The most convoluted Salvagers thing I could come up with was Lion's Eye Diamond for infinite mana, regrow Codex Shredder to regrow Arcbound Ravager, make that infinitely big and then Codex Shredder back Fling for the kill.

I'm pretty hyped.

yessss

So the only things I would want to add to this are just fun times with Claws of Gix because I love that card, something like Hatching Plans even though you're already done for Blue. Maybe Pyromancer's Swath since you already have Flame Jab and Life from the Loam, 9 damage every turn party hard, though now I'm not even close to talking about White anymore. I just like being a Johnny around graveyard shenanigans

edit: though frankly I would run Perilous Research over Visions of Beyond because even in a cube like this, someone actually having 20 cards in their graveyard is a little unrealistic.

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 11, 2014

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Strictly more attractive City of Brass. Some slight corner cases where one is better than the other but I'm always glad to see functional reprints with subjectively better art.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

I don't like Iroas in cube honestly. It's extremely difficult to turn on the lesser gods in limited, and without the 7/4 body he's essentially an indestructible Levitation, as both his abilities make blocking miserable.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

How many lands are acceptable to run in a 360 cube? I want 10 fetches, shocks, and filters, but the temples are also very attractive and I still want some manlands like Celestial Colonnade, Treetop Village, Mutavault, etc. Basically, is ~45 too much?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Lurchington posted:

not sure anyone saw this last year, but my Cube Vault came in on Friday and psyched to start using it.

Here it is with ~390 single single sleeved cards

drat that is sexy. Know where I can get one of my own? Their website doesn't seem to have an order form.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

I'm trying to balance hybrid slots, which is why it's there. I see your point, though. Balancing non-allied hybrid guilds is frustrating, and why they've got one slot as opposed to two. I might just put in noxious hatchling; you're right that worm harvest seems to be mostly bad sprout swarm. Nyx Weaver is awesome but it'd take up an actual Golgari slot and not the hybrid slot (maybe over putrid leach?)

I don't balance my guilds because some archetypes need gold cards more than others. I think Gruul and Selesnya both have 6 cards in my cube, where Dimir has 2 and Simic has 1. A naya deck needs to go fast and you need aggressive gold cards to do that, where slower decks might not want to trade that consistency for speed. I do balance my main colours though, 52 for each, because I don't want to shaft a colour.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Brimaz and Athreos are both pretty good. Mana Confluence also if City of Brass isn't enough. Maybe Prophetic Flamespeaker is good enough? He's in my 360 unpowered list but I haven't played with him enough yet.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

quote:

I purposely avoided counterspells in Blue as there's a new player in our group and, when polled about his least favorite aspect of Magic he said counterspells. So, in the interest of keeping him (and other newer players that will run this cube) involved they went out the window.

Removing counterspells isn't very productive though. It would be similar to removing burn from red. He's going to have to play against a real blue deck at some point.

quote:

Each color needs a draw engine.
There aren't enough heroic triggers.
There needs to be more encouragement of cross-color builds.
White's removal is too good.
Blue/Black Mill was fun and good!
Red was boring - no incentive despite big flying dragons.
No incentive to run creatures >6CC (Red Dragons were laughed at, Scourge of Fleets was last-picked)

I don't agree that each color needs a draw engine. White is the worst at drawing cards with red a close second. Having a lack of good draw motivates players to go into a second colour if draw is what they need, which creates interactive drafting and deckbuilding.

Heroic can be difficult to support in a cube, but taking a quick glance at your list I can definitely agree.

Multicolour builds go back to the first point, but a good way of supporting it is adding tons of colourfixing. I run 41 nonbasic lands in my 360 cube and they're always the first to go in a pack.

White having good removal is a problem when it comes to Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile. Maro's pointed this out on his blog a few times. Shifting to Oblivion Ring-style removal is excellent as it's still very powerful but is more fair. Note that you'll have to run some maindeck-able removal for Oblivion Ring if you want to use this, such as Acidic Slime and Disperse.

I'm glad to hear dimir mill worked out! I've always found it difficult to balance in cube because of the smaller deck size. What's most important is that everyone you play with has a good time. Feel free to ignore all this advice if it means you'll have a better time.

Red does seem fairly boring. I'm not sure if you're going for a goblin tribal theme, because that's hard enough in a 360 cube where you can devote many slots to it. In my cube, red is best known for burn, and the main deck with red is Izzet Delver/Young Pyromancer. People like casting lightning bolt. Tribal is very dangerous in limited as a) drafting becomes mindless as you simply snatch up any goblin that happens to come your way, and b) many of these cards will go around the table and become dead because they only work in the one deck. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying it's incredibly hard to do right.

Are you sure you're supporting the ramp deck? They need lots and lots of Llanowar Elf variants combined with aggressive fatties like Pelakka Wurm that change the game if and when they hit. Try drafting your cube a few times while cutting hard to the ramp deck from Pack 1 Pick 1. If you get a deck that you think is reasonably powerful, then either your playgroup simply doesn't like ramp, or the other deck archetypes are even better.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Lord Of Texas posted:

Greed, you say?

Please tell me there are three islands somewhere in that deck.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

I've found that trying to make a tribal cube is a trap. It's definitely possible but the picks become brainless once you know which tribe you are, and deckbuilding is pretty boring too.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Aston posted:

I just want a cube where someone can get excited about first-picking Fever Charm.

Backdraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

Good loving OP that is helping me lots. Thanks!

It really is a great OP. I've picked Upheaval every time I've seen it and it's never led me astray.