Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's possible that it's different in other cubes, but I've found in the cube I play most often that crystal shard just isn't worth the time and mana spent on it--rather than repeatedly spending six mana to chump block with mulldrifter and recast it, it seems far better to just keep making plays that advance your board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess I just see the crystal shard pseudo-lock (with mystic snake, venser, or similar) come together so rarely even in decks designed to abuse it that I'd rather not bother with all of that. Even in decks perfectly suited to abusing it, a large percentage of the time you play crystal shard it either gets removed, you just get aggroed to death because your three drop didn't affect the board, or you only have "value" bounce targets like mulldrifter or eternal witness that take a ton of mana while again not affecting the board.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Grave Titan is insane in any cube that isn't blisteringly fast. The only argument I could see for taking him out is if he's too dominant and overshadowing the other black finishers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Probably the most appropriate thread for it.

I've been just forcing mono red every single time. Every so often someone screws me out of it and I lose, but the ratio of win/lose is good enough, and most of the time the color is wide open anyway. If you can pick Sulfuric Vortex, make it happen.

Actually, the most valuable red card for me has been Prophetic Flamespeaker. He allows me to spend my burn clearing the board because he just gets all of that card advantage right back for me. Throw Grafted Wargear on him and it's basically game over if you get to hit once.

Other than that there's also a really good RW token deck I've found. Lots of things to make goblins plus your usual white token generators and anthems. Get the two Battle Cry guys that usually get passed and, if you're lucky, Hero of Oxid Ridge.

It's not that hard to make a deck that beats mono-red, I've found, the problem is making a deck that beats mono-red and Ux control, which is almost impossible. The one time I managed it, I did it by being a blue control deck myself, with Thragtusk, Obstinate Baloth, and Green Sun's Zenith there to make red not impossible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of awful beatings (coming from me thankfully), I wouldn't argue with anyone who removes geist from their cube for fun-related reasons. A three-drop that removes half the normal methods of interaction and wraps the game up in just a few turns may not actually be more powerful than something like Jace, but it sure it less fun to play with or against.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Aston posted:

I lost a game to a monored deck when they drew something like 13 lands and 4 spells, and two of those spells were Jitte and Rabblemaster.

I suspect Rabblemaster was more key to them winning than Jitte. Don't get me wrong, Jitte is a better card than Rabblemaster, but Rabblemaster is more able to carry the game all by itself.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 24, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rabblemaster is basically a mono-color Geist of Saint Traft.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Lobster posted:

I was drinking with some relatively new friends last night and talking about our past gaming experiences and other nerdy stuff, and we found out none of us have played magic since 2001-2002 and some of them still have a crave for drafting. Unfortunately, we don't have any cards left and not that much disposable income to do regular booster draft sessions, so I've been thinking we could try this. Building a cheapass (or even a powered one with proxies) cube from scratch would be doable? Also, we just don't have enough people to do 8-man drafts, it's possible to draft with less people?

I actually prefer cube drafting with 6. Theoretically you can draft with as few as four but it's really pretty miserable to go lower than 6.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Is there a Naya colored card that's any good at all? I started with Woolly Thoctar and it was maybe ok at best if you had great mana, it was switched to Naya Charm and I think that's only made 1 deck in a couple months of having it. Trace of Abundance and Meglonoth both seem like they might be OK, but neither feel like a payoff or anything. I like having a cycle of 1 card for each allied shard but RWG is making it hard.

Wild Nacatl is pretty ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Worldknit is actually one of the few cards removed from my friend's cube for being too powerful.