Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So far I'm definitely including True-Name Nemesis, Ophiomancer, and Toxic Deluge. As for possible adds, I might add Serene Master and the two good curses (i.e. Curse of Shallow Graves and Curse of Predation) but I'll need to play test with them first. Which ones have caught your eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

taladel posted:

Since I've started drafting my list weekly or more, I've kinda stopped caring about playing the current limited format.

Is this just a phase? Because I love drafting my cube, every deck looks sweet, watching the games is incredibly entertaining, and people saying that they look forward to drafting my list is just insane. But I still dig theros.

I'm right there with you. Cube drafting is the only format I really play anymore. I might play the occasional modern with an old rotated standard deck (mostly affinity), but once you have a cube assembled I think it is the best magic you can play. Why? Well for starters it's free! If cost weren't an issue, I'd still like it more than your average block limited because there are so many crazy broken plays/combos and because there tends to be more variety in the decks that get built keeping the format fresh.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
At 360 I would run 30 duals in the classic Dual/Fetch/Shock configuration. Moving up to 450, I would add another 10 duals, probably a combo of pain lands and worldwake manlands. In addition to this I would run 10 or more utility lands. For the manlands that I like to run at 360, I put them in the color they belong in place of other nonland cards (e.g. treetop village in green, creeping tar pit in dimir).

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

CountFosco posted:

Are there any more cheap citp-tap lands like the guildgates for budget cubes?

You can find a pretty comprehensive listing here. From that list I'd recommend at least picking up the Refuge taplands and the Alara triple colored taplands. Most of the worldwake manlands are pretty cheap too.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

revengeanceful posted:

Strictly within Peasant, the only good ETB untapped lands for aggro are Gemstone Mine and City of Brass. Beyond that, you have to start breaking the rules of Peasant by adding rare lands. I'm considering replacing the guildgates in my cube with Ice Age/Apocalypse pain lands, but I realize that at that point I would no longer have a Peasant cube, strictly speaking.

Honestly I think that breaking the peasant restrictions for lands is totally reasonable. It will only make the cube more fun to play because multicolored aggro decks will be better.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So we've been having a problem with G/x ramp being a bit too weak, mostly because it doesn't seem to be able to finish the game. As a result, my playgroup has requested that I add more ramp targets. Here is what I am currently running (I'm only counting creatures that cost 6 or more as ramp targets):

Green:
Primeval Titan
Hornet Queen
Woodfall Primus

Artifact:
Wurmcoil Engine
Myr Battlesphere
Sundering Titan

Any suggestions for additions? I have been pondering adding: Terastadon, Avenger of Zendikar, Pelakka Wurm, and/or Craterhoof Behemoth. I'm mostly looking for green creatures in particular because there is way more competition for artifact fatties than green ones, making it harder for a ramp deck to get them.

EDIT: What about some of the lower cost Eldrazi like Ulamog's Crusher or Artizan of Kozilek as ramp targets?

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 24, 2013

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

revengeanceful posted:

I know a lot of cubes have Avenger of Zendikar as a big green fatty for the ramp deck. Terastodon and Craterhoof are also both popular choices, but they also tend to get snapped up by the reanimator/Show and Tell/Eureka decks.

I have progressively cut back support for reanimator, while Show & Tell and Eureka aren't in my cube, so there will be much less competition for them in my cube compared to others.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Hey guys, I just finished writing another article about the cube; this one is about managing your mana base when drafting cube.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...imited-resource

Very nice. I'm one of those people who criminally undervalues duals while picking too many double mana cards in multiple colors. Next time I draft with my group I'll have to be more mindful of these factors and see if it improves my performance.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Full set spoiler is up.

3 staple cards that are all amazing, 2 pretty good cards that will fall into most medium sized cubes, and a couple of archetype-specific cards that might see cube play depending on what you support. Very nice for a small set.

Much better than Born of the Gods which really only had Brimaz, who was expensive as hell - being a mythic - and still hasn't made it into my cube for that reason. I like that two of the three new staples in this set are uncommons. The other one, Mana Confluence, will be somewhat pricey but it is a land and I feel like people expect that good lands will be spendy.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Null1fy posted:

Hey WhiteWolf how do you play when there are 5 or less players? I tried doing a sealed of my cube last night using all 450 and it came out kind of... Eh. People built decks and some were just bonkers good (3 swords, fast mana, etc) but my pool, for instance, just kind of did not get there. I'd like to have a little more control over how players select cards rather than purely chance the next time not enough players show up to do a regular draft.

I'm also not WhiteWolf, but my group standardly drafts with four people. What we do is change the 3 packs of 15 cards to 5 packs of 9. This on its own is a significant improvement. But, since we are pretty casual and there are a ton of unused cards that way, we will frequently increase that to 5 packs of 10-11 cards, which results in everyone having better decks and is usually more fun (and fun, after all, is the goal). For two people I have found that grid drafting is the best method of divvying up the cards. We will generally get pretty decent decks when grid drafting and the games are pretty fun.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

WhiteWolf123 posted:

potomacdistribution is dirt cheap on bulk sleeves. If you're going to single-sleeve, I'd go with Dragonshields. If you're going to double-sleeve, I'd use KMC perfect fits and KMC sleeves.

This, but I prefer KMC Hyper Matte sleeves even if you are just doing single sleeve. They are by far the best sleeves I've ever used.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Spiderdrake posted:

Imagine every creature with Grafted Wargear. All of them. Why would anyone let this go to last pick?

In my cube environment it is just on the border of being first pick material early on. It is just so good if you are going to use 10+ creatures.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

I Love You! posted:

Guess you haven't played with Vedalken Shackles then!

(good thing they removed swords)

Jiitte is better than any sword. The only one that comes close in a limited environment is Sword of Body and Mind.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Aston posted:

I really like 4 player with 5 packs of 9 each, then doing 1v1s. I think if you wanted to do multiplayer or 2HG, you'd have to construct the cube to reflect this as a lot of the cards which are good in cube usually, like 1-for-1 removal/counterspells drop off hard in value when you're playing multiplayer.

I'm in agreement with that. We had a 4 player group who drafted my cube and we always did 1v1. It worked great. We found things were better with a 5x9 pack distribution as well, but we sometimes increased it to 5x11 so that everyone had better decks. After all, the idea of only drafting 45 cards total wasn't handed down from on high, it's just a relic of the size of retail packs. Since cube drafting is something we do for fun, sometimes it is just more fun to have a higher average card quality in your decks that results from having drafted more cards in your colors. So I highly encourage people to experiment with pack sizes and number of packs because that is an additional way for adding variety to your drafts.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Balon posted:

My group and I have run in to a dilemma - I have a 4-man cube with exactly enough cards for 4 people. The issue we've run in to is that we've played enough that everyone knows every card in the cube; there's no variance now. Since it's 4-man it's pretty much "grab the best cards in your colors uncontested". It's getting a little... stale.

So I'm considering, as curator of the cube, expanding the amount of cards in the cube to accommodate 8 people, but only use half of the cards each time we draft. The cards would be sorted by color, then half of each color would be chosen, at random, and shuffled together for "packs". That way you can't count on getting certain cards. Has anyone done anything like this? Does this tactic work? I understand that doing something like this may, unintentionally, weaken some colors. Is that something that I should avoid?

The main reason we don't do that is that it requires sorting the cards by color after every play session. I just randomly deal out half the cube with four players.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I paid someone to produce some proxies for my cube and it was worth it in my case. Why? I wanted a modern cube with vintage cards. That is, I wanted a cube with all modern borders, but wanted to have the ability to include any card ever made. So what I did is make modern templates for all the cards that have never been reprinted with a modern boarder but are cube staples (e.g. duals). I then sent those templates over and had someone else make the proxies. About the proxies themselves: The proxies aren't so good that you can't tell they're proxies. You can definitely tell. I'm not trying to fool anyone. If someone asks, which they probably will, then I tell them that they are proxies. Why even pay for proxies in that case? I wanted the proxies in my cube to be the same thickness and the same degree of flexibility as the normal cards. In that way, the project was a success. I have modern bordered version of cards that never were reprinted and you can't tell they're fake by handling them with your eyes closed. But, like I said, no one would ever believe they were legit after looking... even if they weren't on custom templates. The quality just isn't there, nor do I particularly want it to be.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Xir posted:

Eh, so far no one has built a three color deck. Mostly because I haven't committed to 3 color support, with only the Sphinx being present. I've contemplated a three color package with things like Siege Rhino and Esper Charm, etc. That's as far as I've gotten at this point, contemplating.

Yeah, without the ability to cheat out Sphinx it's nigh unplayable. I feel the same way about a number of other creatures, even when my cube was unpowered you'd rarely see Sundering Titan played for the casting cost. I think I've seen Blightsteel hardcast once.

I personally don't like playing three color decks in cube, even in a cube with duals + fetches. I've found that most people who've played my cube stick to two color decks as well. It might simply be that I (and the rest of my playgroup) are unwilling to place such a high priority on the development of my mana base while drafting. As a result, I cut all three color cards from my cube.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Spiderdrake posted:

Isn't Sol Ring generally regarded as more powerful than moxes in cubes?

Yeah it's one of the few cards banned from my unpowered cube. The other being mind twist because my playgroup agreed that there is nothing fun about having to discard your whole hand.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

suicidesteve posted:

The only card I'd take over Sol Ring is Contact from Below.

I've never played with Contract from Below in cube. Do you basically just treat it as a draw 8 + exile one of your choice?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Just moved to a place where I have a playgroup again, so I revamped my cube for the first time since like 2014. Pretty excited to finally get to play with cards that came out in the last 7 years. This is where I've settled for now: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/anansi. I'm only breaking singleton on fixing lands. Otherwise, it's a pretty standard cube that focuses on keeping curves low to support aggro and midrange, while making sure that control is still viable.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

uggy posted:

Any reason you aren’t including other dual lands?

Other duals are ABUR duals, but with downsides. I want to avoid those downsides to encourage 2-3 color decks. After the core of 3 ABUR duals + 2 Fetch lands, I do have a final slot for utility lands like man lands and horizon lands.