Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
You know, it's possible that we could get some somethingawful cube drafts going on magic online. Like what limited resources does... but for us. It wouldn't be hard to do, especially if we want to cobble something peasant or pauper, as those seem pretty popular alternatives to powered cubing. This is my budget cube, which I built basically for fun:

http://cubetutor.com/cubeblog/1032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Nibble posted:

Anyway, it's a totaly work in progress right now, but check it out: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/821
It's totally unbalanced at the moment, and I'm going to be cutting it way down to the 360 range to help the archetype enablers be reliably available. White is probably the closest to a good state right now, and the multicolor cards are pretty much set, but everything else needs major cuts I just haven't gotten around to yet.

Green is pretty solid. I just drafted this against bots and I ended up with the sickest G/W/B deck featuring tons of +1+1 counter shenanigans with gavony township for gravy. The black splash was for removal, obv.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

This is what I ended up with when I tried to force aggro after taking a hero of bladehold over a better card (can't remember what it was).

I went control after being confronted with pack after pack of bad aggro or no aggro cards.

http://cubetutor.com/draftdeck/13197

I'd really appreciate it if people could tell me whether they feel the colors are fairly well balanced in my cube. I tried to make them each have distinctive strengths.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 1, 2013

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Well, there's vent sentinel.

Your cube is just really, really big. I find it hard to draft based on the sheer volume of it. I think tightening it up by making some cuts could do it some good. I think there's a place for larger cubes but I think some streamlining would be good.

I think that each color should have an identity or two to shape it. When I went about building my cube I thought of it like this:

White: aggro cards / control cards
Blue: tempo cards / defensive cards
Green: multicolor support / value cards
Red: burn / x-spell cards (plus vent sentinel support)
Black: removal / card advantage

I find that if the internal synergies are general enough, you can find naturally occurring cross-color synergies.

I put my aggro focus on one color specifically (white), but each color has a decent amount to make it viable.

Here's an example. I started off with a coalition relic, not knowing which way I was going, and the bots passed me some good green fixing card. When I saw a rolling thunder pack two, I knew I had something to ramp into and splash for. Looking Back, I probably built it wrong. I could have brought in a few more powerful splash cards from the sideboard. My fixing was already really good.
http://cubetutor.com/draftdeck/13283

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 2, 2013

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Are there any more cheap citp-tap lands like the guildgates for budget cubes?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Mr.Kite posted:

You can find a pretty comprehensive listing here. From that list I'd recommend at least picking up the Refuge taplands and the Alara triple colored taplands. Most of the worldwake manlands are pretty cheap too.

Thanks for the link. I was really hoping that there was a cycle of the invasion-style taplands in enemy colors, sad to see they haven't gotten around to that yet :(

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Knight of cliffhaven can often be better than beastbreaker, simply due to the evasion.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

ChewyLSB posted:

Specifically, I'm looking for good Red artifact cards. It seems like a lot of the good red cards are on the sacrific-y side so it seems like a good idea to load the cube with artifacts that want to die and ways to enable that. I already have Atog in the cube but I wasn't sure if maybe I missed one of the good artifact sacrifice outlets?

Wildfire and burning of xinye don't mention artifacts, but they are cards that get much better with rampy artifacts, as they help you break the symmetry. I also like red X spells that the mana ramping artifacts can make better, like rolling thunder.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

I agree with this. The cube is silly awesome, but I feel like some more colored cards would help with color identity.

Also, Nature's Claim and the like being way undercosted nonland Vindicates in the current super-artifact-heavy cube might see everyone splashing red and green. Both Mirrodin block limited formats had archetypes where you could dodge all of the artifact removal by playing as many colored creatures as possible, and having something like that in this cube could be good for variety and replayability.

This, pretty much. Check out the red green hate deck I drafted in the decks section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Anyone else here draft the limited resources cube? I just did it for the first time this past thursday and had a ton of fun. I even wrote about it in my blog.