Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Hi there, Cube thread! I have a (perhaps unorthodox) Cube I'd like some input on. I've gone through a few revisions while designing it and I'd be interested to see what you all think. It's a reject-rare cube, and while most Cubes tend to have criteria of 'what are the 360 best cards in magic / best commons / etc', I instead decided to build it only out of rares I thought were underwhelming. If a card's TCG mid price was over a dollar when I added it, it was disqualified. (mythics were allowed to go to $1.05)*

It's supposed to be entertaining, and it's quite a peculiar environment; removal is scant except for sweepers, artifact and enchantment removal even harder to find. Fixing is...difficult. I also wanted to see if I could make One With Nothing a good card. A 1/1 with upside for two is a good deal. Players should probably be drinking.

Let me know what you think?

Fun With Nothing (reject rare cube)

*(except Tibalt, because how could I build a reject cube and not include Tibalt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Finally, an environment where mono-red control is a viable strategy. I think red is probably the best colour for a mono cube, but white might have potential as well. Would the cube have (colourless) artifacts, or does that pollute the integrity of monocoloured design? If so, it'd be funny to go all-in on colourless just to spite the designer.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Null1fy posted:

Uh.. You mean G/U control?

Maybe the cube has Realmwright.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
If Shivan Dragon isn't in your personal Cuber's Toolkit list of rares you've seriously misunderstood Wizards promotional branding

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Hmm need to get Midnight Haunting now for more [cat]spirit action.

What some fun black cards to add? I'm running out of ideas on ones that are fun to use but not obscenely broken.

Disciple of Bolas and Toshiro Umezawa are cool. Your black aggro section looks kind of weak, maybe some of Thrill-Kill Assassin, Shadow Alley Denizen, Rakdos Cackler, Vampire Lacerator (close to but not exactly like carnophage) could be fun. Virulent Swipe is a really neat combat trick, Tragic Slip rules, Lose Hope is deceptively decent, and Murderous Cut is just sweet.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

I Love You! posted:

I love how they specifically talked about removing narrow cards etc etc and then left in pestermite/deceiver, the narrowest loving combo there is in cube. Not a fan of this cube's lack of archtypes but leaving in the dumbest archtype of them all is just plain lazy.

cool poo poo I've done with Pestermite that isn't Splinter Twin:

surprise blocks
untap Pod to go from 2 to 4 in one turn
tap a big creature before it can attack
pretend that it's Rishadan Port against people with bad manabases

You're going to get two-card combos in cube just because there's enough unique effects, but I don't think pestermite/exarch is a narrow card.

Let's talk manabases, by the way. How many sources do y'all usually want if you're splashing a colour? Where in the pack do you usually grab lands - early or late?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Hahah my round 2 opponent was twin combo and t4ed it twice, awesome games!

And let's be honest, those cards are absolutely 100% in the cube for the 2card combo. They would never be there otherwise, especially Exarch. It's clearly "well these cards aren't ALWAYS dead outside of the combo" rather than "these two good cards that have a reason to be in this format just haaaaaaaaaaappen to go infinite with 2 other cards"

Okay yeah, I see your point (especially about having both of them/running Exarch). My 360 cube has Pestermite but neither Exarch or Splinter Twin so I'm probably biased for that reason.

How do you feel about Natural Order or Eureka?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

So I've been trying to remove as much RDW from my cube as much as possible. I've still got burn and bigger guys, but I'm try to get rid of Goblin Guide, Eidolon, Sulfuric Vortex, etc. So my question is, has anyone done this? And if so what are some good Big Red cards to put in a cube? I'm thinking things like Seething Song, Stormbreath, Thundermaw, Form of the Dragon, maybe even Crater Elemental (but probably not.) I'm thinking I'll need to up the burn count a little to make up for having less small creatures too. No restrictions, my cube is unpowered, around 540 cards - I've been working on it so it's a little short right now.
Nonsingleton untapped fixing so your aggressive decks can afford to play multiple colours has been the most effective change here. Drop some of the less interesting RR spells and RDW becomes Zoo instead or whatever. I haven't had a mono-red deck show up in like eight months as a result, people like shoring up their weaknesses too much.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

What kind of stuff do people like from M16? I'm thinking the 1WWW angel for the Stax deck, and probably every walker but Nissa. The Dragon seems like it's exactly what I want for my big red theme and Survival of the Fixed seems pretty great in the right deck.

I actually have a massive list of cards that I'm really stoked for. I'm sure not all of this is what you want but I bet some of it is:

Hallowed Moonlight
Tragic Arrogance
Vryn Wingmare
Kytheon

Mizzium Meddler
Harbinger of the Tides
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

Gilt-Leaf Winnower
Demonic Pact
Graveblade Marauder

Acolyte of the Inferno
Abbot of Keral Keep
Molten Vortex
Magmatic Insight
Pia & Kiran Nalaar

Evolutionary Leap
Woodland Bellower
Gather the Pack

Bounding Krasis

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Null1fy posted:

Momentary Blink is super good with Evoke.

Saffi Eriksdottir is a surprise home run, too. Lots of fun if you can reanimate her.

A question for the thread: where do you guys draft, and who with? I've almost exclusively drafted at home and with friends, which is a nice casual atmosphere.

I've been playing a little at my LGS though and some people wanna draft my cube, which I'm all for. It's not super expensive and has some proxies for money cards in it, so whatever, but I'd like to know if there's a best practices for taking a cube to a public place. I plan on taking a photo of everyone's picks and sideboard and I think that's good enough to deter 'accidents', I'm talking with the TO about it (cleared the proxies) and he doesn't expect any issues but obviously bears no risk. Do you guys do this? How?

e:

odiv posted:

Taking pictures of everyone's picks seems a bit much, but I understand the impulse.
to elaborate, i was going to ask people to spread out their sideboard during deckbuilding and I'd take a phone photo of the whole shebang, I don't plan on it taking long. The other reason is I rarely have decks together at the end of the night and I'm interested in these relative strangers' decklists - I wouldn't do it at home but the added security issue means I'm considering it.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 25, 2015

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Cool. I don't think anyone's going to willfully steal my cards, neither does the guy at the store, but since I haven't really been there that long I wanted to find out if there was some obvious solution I was missing. I think dissuading opportunistic theft is a solid impulse but I don't think photos are called for, I can probably get away with having everyone count back in their cards to make sure everything's there. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Scrimsax posted:

So I've decided to be that person, and start putting time and effort into making a proxy powered cube to bring around my lgs. Does anyone have any general advice? Good lists to use, tips for printing, that kind of thing?

Bluebones or andyrut are the proxy service you want to use. Get your proxies printed in colour at Staples or Kinko's or whatever. Some places will even make cuts for you but otherwise see if you can use a guillotine to cut out a whole Cube's worth of proxies.

A lot of people like wtwlf's powered Cube but it's pretty big. If you want a smaller list I'd recommend looking through Cubetutor for lists that've been drafted and edited a bunch over time.

It's a little unorthodox, too, but I really like breaking singleton for the mana base, especially fetchlands.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Fiery Justice or maybe Tamanoa if you have a weird cube.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

igota75 posted:

How many different archetypes should a 360-card cube support? I figure 8 is the minimum so that each drafter has potentially a deck to themselves but I'm wondering how many different decks I could support using cards that work in multiple decks (and thus the value of picking such cards changes). Any ideas?

igota75 posted:

How many different archetypes should a 360-card cube support? I figure 8 is the minimum so that each drafter has potentially a deck to themselves but I'm wondering how many different decks I could support using cards that work in multiple decks (and thus the value of picking such cards changes). Any ideas?

I think some common good advice is to narrow down rough ideas for what each of your colour pairs is doing. The problem people often have as a result is that the themes they've chosen are too mechanically isolated from each other (maybe they want GB to be 'graveyard shenanigans' but no other colour pair interacts with that space - the graveyard deck will always be GB, and not GR, or UB, or some other variation).

Drafters having 'decks to themselves' isn't necessarily good either, some competition for resources is a good thing as it leads to more unique decks week after week.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Hi. Anyone have any comments on my weird cube? I've been working on it for a while and only recently came to a version I'm reasonably satisfied with.

http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/44268

It's a 540 card cube with heavy synergy based decks. The archetypes are defined across three colors; decks are expected to be between two and three colors. The power level of the cube is relatively low.

The archetypes are:
WUB Artifacts
WUR Prowess
WUG +1/+1 counters
WBR Pump aggro
WBG Enchantments
WRG Heroic
UBR Saboteur / 'deals combat damage to a player'
UBG Dredge
URG Landfall
BRG Token Sac

What do you think? Any cards that seem too strong or too weak relative to the Cube power level? Anything I'm badly missing? Advice?
Enchantments seems kinda awkward because it cares variously about :
-enchantments in the graveyard
-enchantments on the battlefield (Heroic crossover, good!)
-cheating into play big enchantments, which you don't have

This is a dicy proposition at 450 because you can't be sure you'll have rewards and enablers together in the first place, but if your rewards are all enabled different ways, the synergy will come together even less frequently.

I'd also think about reading this really excellent Grillo_Parlante essay, Learning from Pauper: Rethinking Archetype Design. Some of the stuff he says there is relevant and he's way better at saying it than I am. His points about Heroic in particular are spot-on; Cube is frequently a combat-step format (at lower power especially!) and integrating Heroic into your environment in a way that's copacetic with your Enchantment theme will go wonders for the viability of your aggressive decks.

The biggest failing of Alara block was that the Esper artifact theme isolated it mechanically from other colours, so you're either drafting Esper.dec or something with an artifact or two somewhere.

Overall, though, I really like what I see. A Fires/Haste theme is pretty sweet and might work well with your other archetype theatres.

Four Score posted:

Any advice for a Kamigawa cube?

Lots of out-of-block Spirits, maybe errata Splice so it works on Sorceries and not just Arcane Sorceries? Is this singleton (if so you probably can't support Dampen Thought, which is a shame, because it's one of the better examples of integrated combo in a Limited format) or a "set cube" where you run duplicates of each common/uncommon (the idea being to create a 'kamigawa draft simulator')?

either way, it's probably going to be a really grindy format?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
The problem with Worldknit as an archetype, imo, is that it incentivizes the Worldknit drafter to pick up bombs and nonbasics they don't need (but other people do) so you have one hyper-efficient incredibly powerful deck and then another couple that have mana problems all night. It's definitely fun but it's not something I'd leave in my Cube, more something I'd add for a deliberate Conspiracies night.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Congratulations Baron! Wishing you and yours all the best.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I use a number of the Patreon features on Cube Tutor (custom scans, grid draft, AI draft profiles) and it's remarkable how long Ben has been completely MIA. If you were to spin up a competitor / successor, I'd switch over.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
All the best mtg services are named after Magic cards. Unfortunately, there are no cards with cute names reminiscent of Cubing. Good luck!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Anyone gonna be at GP Vancouver next week? I'll be hosting a 10 person draft or two of my very unorthodox cube. It's a massive exercise in hubris, an attempt to blend my favourite things about Legacy with my favourite things about retail limited. I have a handful of people from my crew but it's so fun to cube with other cube designers so I'm asking here before I find people at the event.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

I'm playing the main event but I assume I'll be free on Sunday. Not really a cube designer but eh.

also don't have PMs but i hang around in the mtg IRC/discord if that's relevant.
Yeah, I'm not playing but some friends are, so I'm doing the cube draft on Sunday, and the ones who aren't somehow in day 2 will join. Goons welcome, a person or two from your squad welcome too if they're cool. PM me on discord I guess - chaitealatte#2508.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Wishing you all the best of luck, Baron. Sounds like you're on track to provide something people really want and in a way that makes them happy.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

weekly font posted:

Do yall think at 540 there's enough space to give black a zombie subtheme? I'm having trouble fitting any of the lords/buff daddies in at the 3 slot.

I think if you want a zombie theme it's gotta build into the mechanical stuff zombies do rather than just being an anthem tribe. Gravecrawler and Carrion Feeder are a beautiful little engine, Cryptbreaker is a great lord that lets you discard for value, Stitcher's Supplier bins your gravecrawler, etc. I think you're gonna have a more successful time building mechanical identity into an archetype than you are something as ephemeral as a typeline.

More yard type zombies - Eternal Taskmaster, etc, and then sprinkle in a lord or two for flavour.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Yeah I think cube cobra is gonna be the way forward. Sorry Baron! I think the inventory system will be more lucrative anyway - when you said what stores pay for what they use it absolutely blew my mind

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

A non-singleton cube gives me the heebie jeebies
get over them.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I've long run a similar double fetch double ABUR dual setup at 450 and it's great, I endorse and co-sign it. I do however also have some Wastelands floating around to prevent anyone going 4/5c without being punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Strong echo the above. The conspiracies are very very strong - Worldknit feels like power, and the rest feel like BS. Draft-matters cards huge all around favourites for every playgroup.