Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
When we only have 4 players for (peasant) cube night we often end up doing two-headed giant sealed. I've been thinking of trying out an EDH-lite format for these matches using the 6-drop shard and wedge dragons as the generals. I've also thought about using a cycle of mono-colored generals as well, probably ones that cost 3XXX (white, blue, and red only have one such creature, while green and and black have some options to pick from).

Any thoughts on this? It wouldn't be a regular thing, but I figure it might be a fun way to spice up matches from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Would it be worthwhile to collect a list of goon cube links for the OP? Something like this with the username and short description:

edit: Actually, I'll collect a list of all the links posted so far and add it to this post after I eat some breakfast.

Stinky Pit [Powered 450] - http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1728
Tonde Mo Nai [Powered 540] - http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1278
WhiteWolf123 [Powered 450] - http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/170

boba fetacheese [Unpowered 495] - http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1034
The Lord of Hats [Unpowered 450] - http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1857

CountFosco [Budget 373] - http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1032

Nibble [Modern 557] - http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/821

kasonic [Peasant 360] - http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/781
revengeanceful [Peasant 370] - http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/72
whydirt [Peasant 360] - http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/251

If someone has a better way to format this list so it's more user-friendly, please chime in. I think this covers everyone who's posted so far, so let me know if I missed you!

whydirt fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 26, 2013

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm working on brewing up a small custom card expansion for my peasant cube. I'm looking for a few people to play developer and help me balance/edit what I've got so far, PM me and I'll send you a link to my google doc. I'm also open to being pitched some cards if you want to play at design, but I can't promise anything will make it in. I'll post a public link once I'm closer to proxying them up for real.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Here's a Ravnica cube you could use as a base to work from if you're interested:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=461959

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I believe what WhiteWolf will say is that you should try to give each color pair the lands it wants the most instead of forcing complete cycles.

You can build really good cube manabases for pretty cheap these days. The loss of ABU duals and fetchlands obviously hurts, but giving each guild the best combination of pain, fast, buddy, bounce, and filterlands should leave you pretty comfortable. Every guild can use shocklands and they're as cheap as they're likely ever going to get, so that'd be a great place to spend your cash if you want to improve your mana base.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

To go back to aggro-chat, one thing that I think often gets overlooked is that aggro decks usually need a few more playable creatures and spells than their midrange and control counterparts since they often curve out lower and can often get away with 14-15 lands compared to the 16-18 for slower decks. Additionally, slower decks are more able and likely to splash extra colors and thus have access to a larger pool to draft from.

Basically I think that you should almost always err on the side of using aggressive cards.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Someone else made the suggestion that peasant cubes that use rare dual lands should be called landed gentry cubes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

In my peasant cube, I count most hybrid and phyrexian mana cards as 1/2 of each parent color, and then adjust the monocolor sections based on the overall totals. In my cube, this ends up with black having two additional cards since it has the fewest playable hybrids. When I cubed it, I had Boggart Ram-Gang in my gold section since it really was best played in a Gruul deck as opposed to a G/x or R/x deck.

I stick off-color flashback cards in the primary color's mono section. While they do play best when you have ample access to both colors, it's easier to splash for a color if you don't need it at the same time as the other color and/or until late into the game.

Ultimately, if there's a card I really want in my cube, I'm more than willing to tweak my system to make it fit.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Force of Will is merely okay in peasant. I wouldn't go out of my way to include it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm wanting to explicitly make my (peasant) cube more newbie-friendly, as I often get players who are completely new to cubing and often relatively new to Magic in general. Up until now, I've used old card frames wherever possible because I started playing back in olden times, enjoy the frames personally, have a secondary goal is to expose players to cards they may never have seen before. However, I'm thinking of switching as many cards as possible to the modern frame in order to increase consistency of presentation and clarity of rules templating. I'm okay with 1-2 cards per pack keeping the old frame, so I'm not going to cut cards just because they only exist in the old frame in part because there are very few cards in my cube that only exist in the old frame (a lot of this is from WotC reprinting strong C/U cards in various precons like Duel Decks and Commander).

My gut feeling is that cubing is inherently complex due to the singleton rule and using unfamiliar cards to newer players, so any way I can reduce the learning curve is probably helpful. Any thoughts on this?

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 5, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think I'm talking past everyone. I'm not looking to change any existing cards. All I was asking if people think using new frames on cards that have both options makes a noticeable, even if it is small, difference. Coming up the other suggestions is fine, but not what I'm looking for.

I have already excluded a bunch of mechanics that are newbie unfriendly like haunt and most protection cards (right now Mother of Runes is the only one left and I might give her the axe). Being newbie-friendly isn't my main or only goal, I'm just trying to be more conscious of it. I've already cubed with new people a lot and as far as I could tell they all had fun. I'm just looking to improve things at the margins.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Revengeanceful: Gold-Forged Sentinel is a functional reprint of Lumengrid Gargoyle, which doesn't see much play. Maybe such a creature is worth a second look though?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm surprised you rank Disciple of Deceit so highly given how much time and work it takes to trigger inspiration and how conditional the transmuting tutor effect is. At least for peasant, I don't even think it's the best Dimir card from the block (Shipwreck Singer is pretty boss, but given that peasant is more combat-centric it's not an apples-to-apples comparison).

I'm pretty bummed that all of the C/U constellation cards are marginal and not really worth cubing. I'd hoped to make a stronger enchantress-style theme for Selesnya, but other than having a higher enchantment count from bestow dudes, the block didn't really deliver.

Cards on my peasant watchlist:

Nyx-Fleece Ram - May include this as part of an enchantments matter package with Ethereal Armor and Sphere of Safety
Dakra Mystic - Essentially a looter variation and one I'm interested in testing
Sigiled Starfish - Seems worse than Omenspeaker or even Augur of Bolas most of the time
Gnarled Scarhide - Auto-include
Banishing Light - I try to avoid functional reprints, so this will replace O-Ring due to its cleaner templating
Quarry Colossus - A reasonable control finisher for white
Supply-Line Cranes - White has a pretty shallow 5-drop section in peasant (Cloudgoat Ranger is amazing, but it drops off considerably after that), so I might test this at some point
Hour of Need - Fun card that I'm excited to test
Flurry of Horns - Not the best token maker, but I run Goblin Bombardment and Kyren Negotiations and this plays decently well with them as well as providing decent haste P/T for the cost
Sigiled Skink - Red has very few repeatable scry effects, so I'm at least curious to see how this plays
Nessian Game Warden - Green has no shortage of good CMC5+ creatures. There are a lot of games that the Vigilance on Sentinel Spider or Village Survivors is more relevant than drawing a card
Fleetfeather Cockatrice - Versatile creature with a built-in mana sink a guild that's very likely to ramp
Stormchaser Chimera - Izzet is still one of the thinner guilds and I like that it can pump itself while hopefully keeping your hand gassed up; reminds me of a miniature Spellbound Dragon
Ajani's Presence - The most efficient single target indestructibility trick Wizards has printed to date; I'm phasing out Protection from my cube and mostly replacing it with indestructibility and blink effects, so this might well find a home

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Dude, that card is no good for C/Ubes. It specifically designed for tutoring up combo components in a Tinker combo deck or a reanimator build, and nothing more. When all you need to find is 1 Tinker or 1 artifact for your Tinker and it wins you the game, that's all you need to do. Don't simply use it at face value in a random Dimir deck. :)

I realize peasant cubes play very differently, but I still think the tutor ability on Disciple requires too many hoops for such a narrow effect. It seems worse than Lim-Dul's Vault, for example.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'd put in Nyx Weaver for Worm Harvest. The Weaver is both an enabler and a beneficiary of getting stuff in your graveyard. Worm Harvest is only good in Magic Christmasland scenarios really.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm not a huge fan of forcing a cycle of hybrids across all guilds. Honestly there's just not a great option for Golgari.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Some random thoughts:

Blood Frenzy is a fun political card/trick for red.

Royal Assassin seems like it could a fun mirror image to Intrepid Hero.

Even though they're worse as being pure mana rocks, I'd consider cluestones or keyrunes in place of signets just because they have additional value as lategame topdecks.

Black is lacking some good spot removal. White gets Path and Swords, so I'd look to Doom Blade/GftT as equivalents for black.

Browbeat is still a terrible card.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

For my newest project I'm looking to include lots of cards with strong resonance/top-down flavor and would love some recommendations of cards that may not see regular play in other cubes.

Think things like Pacifism, Black Cat, or Hired Torturer. I'm okay with things that are underpowered since I'll be balancing power level across all the colors.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It really depends on your budget, your expected number of players, and what you want out of cubing (playing with Power 9, building a custom draft environment, using all Rebecca Guay art, etc).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Werewolves!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I also really like team sealed (with or without playing it 2HG) with four people. I find 100 cards per team makes a good size pool to build from. It gives enough playables without seeming overwhelming. Doing this might be especially good if everyone is new to limited.

If you draft, definitely do the 5 packs of 9 thing. I might even do 10 card packs for the first team just to give people more picks to build from.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Honestly I wouldn't waste a slot in a tiny cube on durdly stuff like top or scroll rack. I'd stick to as many different business spells as you can in order to promote deck diversity and keep things from growing stale.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I guess my personal preference would be to only run as few artifacts as necessary in a small cube. A big reason I enjoy cube is the variety of decks you can draft and play. Small cubes are already going to see less variance than normal and high quality artifacts are going to show up in decks quite frequently. If that's not a problem for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If you're not already doing it, I highly recommend using smaller packs for drafting with fewer than 8 players. I usually do 4 packs of 11 for 6 players and 5 packs of 9 for 4 players.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nope. In the system they are describing, you're "burning" tons of cards from each pack, so the final draft pools will have about the usual number of cards. Think of it as a scry or loot effect while you're actually drafting.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Entropic posted:

Are there any fun 2-3 card infinite combos that are Peasant-legal?

Midnight Guard + Presence of Gond is the only truly infinite one I can think of.

Other potential peasant-legal non-infinite combos:
Fire Covenant + Spitemare
Channel + Fireball (or other x-spell of choice)
Kitchen Finks + Ivy Lane Denizen/Juniper Order Ranger (+sac outlet for true value)
Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek works, but is super narrow outside of the combo

whydirt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 29, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Edit: double post

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

From a quick glance, you don't have enough 1-drops to make traditional fast aggro decks worthwhile.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Forty of each is generally enough for an 8-person draft.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Oh yeah, Nacatl is the best Naya card if you're not running it in your mono-green section.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'd just find different cards than try to replicate their effects directly.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Anyone else having trouble editing their cubes on CubeTutor the last day or so?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Dunno if there's really enough of a payoff to run a colorless matters theme at peasant, but if you include it I'd for sure just let people have unlimited Wastes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Pretty decent beginner's guide to building a cube on the Mothership today: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/how-build/building-your-first-cube-2016-05-19

I also find it interesting that they're explicitly marketing Eternal Masters to cube managers.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I really hope Kaladesh limited plays as well as the cards look, because I really want to build a drift sim of it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I like 390-420 as a balance between variety and consistency if you plan on having a full pod of 8 players more often than not. I usually cube with 4-6 players so cutting down to 360 means I'd still not use the whole cube a lot of the time.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Storm is pretty parasitic and basically requires you to build your cube around it if you want it to be consistent. Personally, I'd either cut it for other synergy archetypes that are less parasitic but still have a combo feel to them or just warn drafters that storm is Hard Mode Drafting and won't always come together, so they should have a backup plan handy if things go off the rails.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

25-30 of each should be enough, depending on how many dual cycles you're running

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I've got a new cube up CubeTutor. Since I'm finishing up my initial burst of tinkering, I'd appreciate any feedback before I start ordering the cards.

The power level is intended to be roughly around a Masters set draft with defined but flexible archetypes across the colors. In other words you should see some signposts to guide your draft, but it shouldn't feel on rails.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/82201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Thanks for the drafts!

Storm cards here are more for value (i.e. getting 6-10 goblins from Empty instead of 12+ as is common in powered cube and constructed) than all-in combo finishers. There are a bunch of mana engines and ways to cast free spells with suspend and rebound. Almost all the pieces can be used in other decks, but it's definitely not a beginner's archetype here.

Here's a sample deck that uses bounce and copying effects to abuse Drake, Sailor of Means and eldrazi spawn makers to build up mana for later or storm count on the big turn.

http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/880248