Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to break up a bunch of decks I made in a set to put a drafting cube together but decided to try something different. I like playing Magic with more casual people that wouldn't really be able to draft but who can play the game just fine. With them in mind I created a "Smash'Up" cube (based on the other card game by the same name).

I made up 15 "half decks" of 20 cards each each with a theme (like counterspells, mana acceleration, graveyard manipulation, big creatures, direct damage, etc). You can make a functional play deck by taking any two (or three I suppose) half decks and shuffling them together. Each player goes around the table and selects one half deck; then it reverses and everyone gets to select their second. It's a lot easier for a newbie to pick two themes than attempt drafting individual cards. You don't get the same variety you would out of proper cube drafting but there are over 200 possible deck combinations with just these 15. The half decks are mono colour for the most part (except one 5 colour one :v:). I used 5 different colours of sleeves so the decks would be easier to separate after a game.

I have yet to test it with my nephews. I have played a few test hands with some smashed up decks and they all seem to work out nicely with some odd combinations.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I sold all of my Magic cards a long while back when I got bored collecting the game. But I have always had an interest in the Cube format when I discovered it. I have been doing a bit of research and I think I want to make my own cube. There are a lot more sets now than what I remembered (I stopped playing around Mirage) so I thought it might be handy to limit my card pool in some way when making my cube. I didn't want to just copy some online list, I think making it is half the fun! But making it myself out of the entire card pool of MtG cards is a bit overwhelming. I don't actually own many magic cards (a few duel decks for a laugh) so I needed a bunch anyway. I found this ad online:

I bought it, and the guy is delivering it now. I'm planning to make a 720 card cube out of the most interesting portion of whatever happens to be in this pile of random cards. 5,000 cards sounds like its manageable to comb through and pick out the coolest cards. I will post the results.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

aborn posted:

720 is massive, specially starting from a pool of random stuff. You're bound to end up with some very lopsided color combos. I'd start at 360 and build up from there as needed.

Maybe, I guess it will depend on what sort of cards are in there. He says he has every set from Revised to the current ones, so I'm thinking it should be a good variety. Hopefully its mostly single cards, as I do not want to put duplicate cards into my cube. 720 out of 5000 is only like 15% of the total cards, so I should be able to balance the colours well.

Hopefully its not 4000 basic lands and 1000 4th edition Fogs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
After a few days of work I have finally sorted through all 5,000 of the cards I bought off of Craig's List! My "Garbage Cube" is complete. Oddly enough after sorting through the cards I came to the eerie realization that this collection might (partially) be the cards i sold to some random guy online 10 years ago. There are lots of cards from all of the sets I collected, then a big gap and a bunch of newer stuff (like someone bought my old set to get started). but most telling is two specific cards, Dark Heart of the Wood and Giant Strength. Dark Heart of the Woods is only original card from The Dark in the collection, all of the rest are from the Chronicles reprint. Giant Strength is also only one original card from Legends. I started collecting Fallen Empires, I never got to open any Dark or Legends packs. But I did trade specifically for Dark Heart of the Woods and Giant Strength from my friend because I wanted cards from those sets! :tinfoil: The Dark Heart card even has the same wear pattern I remember. It makes me feel good to (maybe?) be doing this with my old cards.

Anyway I went with a "720" card cube, because I wanted as much variety as possible. I ended up with a little over that, but oh well! It is still fairly balanced between the colours, so its not a big deal if its a little bigger. 75% of the cards came from the 5,000 card collection I bought online, but I added a bunch of proxy cards to "spice it up" so to speak. You can't really have a cube without the power 9 and duel lands and all that right? I also tried to include at least one card from every set I could find.I also included 40 of each basic land for making decks, and I tried to keep the art on each land unique. I put everything into the most "cube shaped" MtG box I had, and it fits quite nicely. Its almost as if this box was meant for a cube! There is a bit of space left, I will use this to add a full set of archenemy cards and plane chase cards I think.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/117679

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

muon posted:

I personally wouldn't run gigantic bombs like Jitte alongside 3x Sivitri Scarzam. Jitte is perfectly reasonable in cubes where answers abound, but in your cube any card that runs away with the game should probably be cut so that you're having fun playing with stuff like Hurloon Wrangler.

Those dupes were a mistake, I took them out! I also weeded out the more egregious power cards. I kept the dual lands though, they go with the "Revised Edition" flavor. I also don't consider dual lands particularly broken. In fact when I open packed back in the day I distinctly remember getting annoyed that I opened two Tropical Islands back to back. Why did I get a dumb land card instead of a cool Royal Assassin? :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

So Cube Tutor is apparently hosed

I'm seriously brainstorming with a friend right now to repurpose that trading site I've been developing on and off for a couple years into a replacement for Cube Tutor (which is actually WAY easier, I could knock it out in a month or so if I focused on the weekends). Seems like if this guy is basically admitting defeat that leaves a vacuum to fill for cube management. It's not a hard sell to get people to want to use a more modern site that is actually going to be maintained moving forward.

Really the hardest part will be developing the draft interface and an AI to work with it, but there's no reason I couldn't release the list manager and other assorted simple bits first and then add that on later, just to attract initial users. CT has functionality to export your cube, all I have to do is write an import tool compatible with the format to make switching as easy as possible.

I use MtG Forge to manage my cube. It has all of that functionality, you can make a cube import lists, etc. But you can do a draft with it against an AI too, then play games against the decks the AI drafted.

https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a dozen swans posted:

All the best mtg services are named after Magic cards. Unfortunately, there are no cards with cute names reminiscent of Cubing. Good luck!

Thank you for this advice! In sticking with the theme of "garbage" I am now renaming my cube "Delif's Cube".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Silhouette posted:

The fact that Bundles come with standard basic land packs instead of fancy full arts is criminal

All the land could be full art if they wanted. Makes you think.....