Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Thanks for making the thread The Lord of Hats, I've been getting more serious about developing my cube lately and it'll be great to have another place for discussion. One other resource I'd suggest for the OP is Riptide Lab, a Cube-dedicated site with articles and forums.

revengeanceful posted:

My cube: https://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/72

It's Peasant, with 370 cards. First, mad props to whydirt, whose cube I copied pretty much card for card to start out. I started at 360 and just added 1 additional gold card for each guild because there was a bunch of fun gold cards that I wanted to run and just couldn't find room for. I really enjoy Peasant cubing because the games play out more like limited than constructed, which I really find appealing. It's also really satisfying maximizing all of your resources, rather than being able to rely on a couple bomby cards to carry you. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

This is the only cube I've had a chance to draft with a full 8 players, and it was a blast. Normal limited is what I usually play, so I really enjoy the power level of Pauper as compared to standard cubes. Drafting this felt like there were a lot of really solid cards that did their job well, but nothing too bomby, leading to more interesting and skill-intensive games. Loved it.

Kasonic posted:

My 360 Peasant cube that I'm currently in the process of rebuilding because I'm not sure I'm happy with it.

-I really want solid archetypes within color or colors. While I'm still considering what those might be and how best to syngerize colors, I'm very tired of my cube playing like a less-cohesive core set where everything is goodstuf.dec. How much of a set needs to be dedicated to a given theme for it to be occasionally playable in Sealed without dominating the color? I'm eyeing Lifegain, Twiddling, Dredge, Flashback for WUBG appropriately....not sure what to do with Red.

-Is a cycle of artifact mana fixing too much? I'm currently using the Keyrunes because of how well they play in Ravnica block, but their power levels really vary. I was thinking of using a Cluestone/Signet/Keyrune mix, if I keep the cycle.

-Has anyone tried a pauper/peasant cube with limited rares? I was considering a single un-bomby toolbox or utility rare in each booster.

Your goals sound a lot like mine. I'm attempting to build a Modern cube that has a power level closer to Pauper, while still using rares to support archetypes where needed. What I'd ultimately like to have is a draft environment where you're not just assembling a team of all-stars, but trying to fit together individual pieces that have interesting synergy with each other. I'm trying not to make things TOO linear though, because I feel it'd be pretty boring to just decide "oh I'll be the tokens deck" and go on auto-pilot the rest of the draft.

Themes I'm looking to support:
White - Primarily tokens, with some flicker/ETB play as well (shared with Blue), some Soldier tribal elements.
Blue - Primarily artifacts, some flicker, also has an aggro/tempo strategy possible with lots of cheap fliers
Green - +1/+1 counters (some enablers in Blue thanks to Simic), GB has some dredge/graveyard stuff, feels kinda midrangey overall, might get some ramp
Red - A number of "instants and sorceries matter" cards (Kiln Fiend, Charmbreaker Devils), trying out an Elemental tribal theme but not convinced on it yet
Black - Similar to the Pox/Stax idea, those cards aren't in Modern but I'm focusing on things that sacrifice for value or create symmetrical sacrifices, then recursive creatures that break the symmetry of those effects. Also some dredge and reanimation stuff, and aggro low drops.

What I like so far is that certain combinations of colors have explicit synergy (GU Simic, UR spells, BG dredge) while other pairs work together well, but slightly more subtle, like White tokens being great sacrifice fodder for Black.

Anyway, it's a totaly work in progress right now, but check it out: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/821
It's totally unbalanced at the moment, and I'm going to be cutting it way down to the 360 range to help the archetype enablers be reliably available. White is probably the closest to a good state right now, and the multicolor cards are pretty much set, but everything else needs major cuts I just haven't gotten around to yet.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

CountFosco posted:

Green is pretty solid. I just drafted this against bots and I ended up with the sickest G/W/B deck featuring tons of +1+1 counter shenanigans with gavony township for gravy. The black splash was for removal, obv.

Thanks for the feedback! I've been impressed with how draftable it is in its current state, considering I think it's far from done. Three colors is not something I expect to see too often, but we'll see how much fixing I end up with - I'm thinking I'd like to add at least the M10/INN cycle of duals.

The thing I've been struggling the most with lately is finding a solid mechanical identity for red. For each other color it's been pretty easy to find some core idea to work with that provides a sense of identity and synergy, is not super linear, and plays well mixed with the other subthemes. Red has eluded me though.

There's cards that care about instants and sorceries (Kiln Fiend, Young Pyromancer, Galvanoth, Charmbreaker Devils, etc.) - I like these because any color will have spells they want to cast, and red itself will always have a ton of playable burn spells. It's one of the better subthemes for red, but I've already got most of what I could find and it's not all that much.

I've been looking at Elemental tribal, mostly propped up by Lorwyn/Shadowmoor Flamekin, and it's neat but I'm not that excited about it. You don't get much benefit out of it besides a few decent creatures (including my pet favorite Nova Chaser) and a mediocre lord. There's also not much cross-color synergy out there - other colors have Elementals, but nothing else really cares that you're playing them.

Storm seems too difficult to support as a full deck archetype. Would it be worth it to throw in a few enablers (Grinning Ignus, Seething Song, Manamorphose) and a couple Storm cards (Empty the Warrens, Storm Entity) and leave it at that? There's some potential there to just generate big mana to play early fatties if you're not on the actual storm plan, and it would work nicely with some other cards like Guttersnipe, but I'm not sure if there's enough there. And Empty the Warrens seems totally fine if you play it turn 5 with a one-mana burn spell ahead of it, so I'm not worried about it being totally useless.

Totally open to any other ideas as well. Red just feels to me like it has plenty of stuff to help along the other archetypes you may be working towards, but it's lacking some central theme that would make you want to go primary red with support from other colors.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zoness posted:

I wrote a bit on Storm and it's reliant on power and/or rituals. Rituals also play decently with enormously powerful high-cost drops while power is just a thing you decide whether you have or not.

If the power level of the cube is relatively low then Storm isn't going to be particularly interesting.

Yeah, and being Modern severely limits the broken fast mana I can put in there. I'll probably take the approach of adding a few fast mana cards that you could happen to use to cast a Storm card, and a Storm card or two that would be reasonable to cast after one or two cheap spells and/or suspended spells but wouldn't be the focus of your deck. So basically, Empty the Warrens.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zoness posted:

I made a bit of an initial list of what I think are "cool" artifact effects to go with the Tezzerets in a non-powered cube.

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1948

Off the top of my head, you have some nice targets for Treasure Mage, and Grand Architect can help power them out.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

rinski posted:

I finally got around to uploading my cube to that cube tutor site, which seems pretty awesome. It's my first cube and definitely a work in progress. I made it for work, where there's like 5–6 other people who are either old casuals or new to the game. I kind of like having a large cube, because it seems like it'll take longer to get bored with it, but I could probably pare it down a bit. I have been spending an inexcusable amount of time tweaking it recently and probably need to stop.

I tried to keep aggro a viable strategy where possible, but nobody has really drafted it yet. I'm not sure if it's because the numbers don't work out, or if most people just hate aggro. Thoughts?

Here's my attempt at going aggro: http://cubetutor.com/draftdeck/13205

Ended up with a lot of unplayables for the deck style, and some inclusions were a stretch (I didn't really want 2x Armadillo Cloak). So it seems possible, but difficult, and you have to be focused enough on it to ingore most of better cards you're constantly seeing and passing. For an end result it's not too bad though, depending on how strong the control decks tend to be.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

Memory Lapse on an Isochron Scepter is the most fun you can have.

Last time I played Cube, I was on the receiving end of an Isochron Scepter/Momentary Blink/Chittering Rats lock :smith:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

WhiteWolf123 posted:

That would open up 30 slots, which is a lot of good colorless/mono-color stuff.

Each gold card can go into roughly 10% of the drafted decks. A mono-color card can go in 40%, and a colorless one can potentially go into 100% of them. That's an enormous boost in playability. Applying to both lands and spells.

When you think about putting together a cube, I think a lot of people, myself especially, are drawn to multicolor cards because they often have really cool, unique effects that you just can't get in most mono-color cards. But when you actually think about drafting a cube, you realize how many times you just completely skip over gold cards in a pack because you've pretty much settled into two colors and don't have the fixing to support a third. Thinking about it in those terms made me come around to the idea of being very selective with gold card inclusions, since they're harder to use and often create less interesting drafting decisions than mono-color cards.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I haven't played with them that much myself, but it sounds like the concept is sorta like kicker, or charms/commands - each option on its own is pretty mediocre, but the flexibility is supposed to make up for it. 1W for a 2/2 is boring, 4W total for a 2/3 flier is just okay, and 14 total mana for a Serra Angel just sounds bad. But if you think of it as a two-drop when you need one, a flier when you can spare a little extra mana, and an Angel when you topdeck it late, all in one card, it looks a little better.

All that said, I'd rather have the more aggressive two-drops in white since typically aggro decks need a lot of support to be viable, if you think you want to support aggro. When drafting, Daring Skyjek and Accorder Paladin are cards that make me want to go into W/x aggro, while Knight of Cliffhaven is just a curve-filler.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Death of Rats posted:

without having to sink as low as Mirrodin's Core or Transguild Promenade.

:what: Mirrodin's Core is one of the better fixers available in Peasant, in my experience. Promenade isn't bad either, it eats up your turn 2 but after that it usually means you have no color problems for the rest of the game.

Personally I've come to dislike dual lands since they just seem so narrow - at a full 8-person draft it's likely that only one, maybe two players are interested in any particular dual, which means they usually aren't interesting picks to make. And if you draft with fewer than 8 players, it's likely that duals show up that nobody at the table has any interest in.

Instead I'm trying to fit in more lands that are desirable by anyone who needs fixing, which I feel should make for a little more competition over fixing lands. At the moment I'm looking at running the Vivid lands, the full ten tri-lands, Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, Mirrodin's Core, and Rupture Spire (not sure if I want Promenade in as well). I'm also considering trying Ancient Ziggurat as a fixer for aggro/midrange decks that just care about playing all their creatures on curve and can't afford the loss of tempo from ETB-tapped lands.

Also, re: removal amounts, that article was a really interesting read. I'm trying to encourage a few things like more combat tricks and more synergies that would be helped by having a little less removal than usual in the cube, but I hadn't thought about actually sitting down and quantifying it with the as-fan of a pack. I'm going to have to do that now and see how my numbers stack up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zoness posted:

I mean, here's where it gets complicated, maybe the lackluster individual cards support more strategic depth and that's the goal, that's fine, but then cards like Cryptic Command really feel out of place.

This is how I approach it. I'm trying to support a little more synergy-based play in my Modern Peasant cube, which has meant cutting some cards that are too powerful on their own if they don't support the strategies I want to support. For instance, Cloudgoat Ranger is a staple since I want both tokens and flicker to be available. But I cut Mind Control since, while being a fantastic card, it doesn't do anything particularly interesting and is just way above the power level of most other cards in the cube.