Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I've been working on a Standard peasant cube (I originally built a standard pauper cube, but some preliminary drafting showed the format to be painfully weak). If anyone has 5 minutes to glance over the list and tell me if I've made any glaring omissions or ridiculous inclusions, it would be appreciated. http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/5069

I've only ever played a proxy power cube and a pauper cube before this, and only once each, so I'm not sure if I've got a decent box of cards here, or an uncomfortable time for all involved.

I've tried to avoid allowing mill as an option, and I've tried to stick (where possible) to the approximate curve for each colour demonstrated in the current standard overall. Where a colour is underrepresented, it's because there was a split card that did similar things to a card in that colour that I'd already included, so I added the split instead. It's heavily invested in multi-coloured cards at the moment, but when Born of the Gods comes out, I'll probably drop it from 7/pair to 6/pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Lord Of Texas posted:

I'd break the peasant rule to include Shocklands at the very least, and maybe the Temples instead of or in addition to Guildgates. 15 mana-fixing lands (and bad ones at that) is not going to be a fun time when 20% of the cube is multicolor cards.

Given that a full set of shocklands is more expensive than the whole cube (and the temples aren't much cheaper), I think I'll probably break the standard rule instead (for lands). Either 10 2-colour CIPT bounce lands, or 5 3-colour sacrifice lands and 5 3-colour bounce lands (depending on availability on order day, to be honest).

I originally had two sets of guildgates and a set of cluestones in the cube - I dropped one set for keyrunes, and then dropped the cluestones for other cards. That would probably explain the lack of fixing that was originally decent.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my cube - the insight is appreciated now rather than after the first few drafts.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 8, 2013

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I've taken the consensus of the thread, and designed (well, stolen and mildly adjusted) a modern peasant cube. It's based heavily on whydirt's modern pauper cube (second post of this MTGS thread).

List is here: Modern Peasant Cube.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I've got a Modern Peasant Cube that I want to add the odd Wrath effect to. I realize that all proper Wrath effects are rare, so I was going to make an exception. (List is here Modern Peasant Cube). Three questions spring to mind:
1. Is this a stupid idea that will make playing the cube terrible?
2. How many Wraths belong in a 360 card Cube?
3. Which ones? I was thinking that higher cost Wrath effects might be less unbalancing - either Solar Tide or Final Judgement in white, and maybe either Extinguish All Hope, Hex or Life's Finale in black.

There is also a list of cards in the newest post of the cube blog - any must-includes or rejections would be helpful if you have the time.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I read an interesting article RE. cubing the other day: Removing Removal in Cube, which has inspired me to work on some changes in my own cube.

It seems to make a lot of sense to me (I have a modern peasant cube), and since I had nearly three pieces of removal per pack (approaching 20% of the whole cube was removal), I have noticed the game being more of a creature/answer/creature/answer game, with creature-heavy board states being very rare. Even spread evenly across all players, there would be ~9 pieces of creature removal each, and those would usually make it into decks above almost anything else.

When 9 of everyone's 22 cards (not counting bounce or counterspells) is removal, creatures are not good to have any more. Cutting that number to nearer 6 should be better.

However, this leaves me with 11 cards I need to replace, mostly in red and black. Those colours could quite happily support a few land destruction cards in place of the burn/creature destruction they are losing. Does anyone run much land destruction in their cubes, and if so, how much?

On another note, I'm glad to be gaining the other five 3-colour taplands with the arrival of Khans of Tarkir. Ten tri-lands, five vivid lands and ten guildgates should support 360 cards of decks nicely; without having to sink as low as Mirrodin's Core or Transguild Promenade. (I'm not adding the lifegain taplands, as they will make the aggro archetypes suffer unnecessarily).

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

BJPaskoff posted:

A cube-like box that my friend has he calls a "Battle Box". Each player takes one of each basic land and one of each allied-color guild gate and puts them in the command zone. Both players play off the same deck, which is a stack of ~200 non-land cards, and can play one land from the command zone each turn. It's a lot of fun, and I'm thinking of ideas to build my own - such as a battle box with fewer cards, but effects that put things on the top/bottom of the library as well as lots of shuffle effects so the deck keeps recycling itself.

Is there any reason this might not work with a cube as the Battle Box? Perhaps with the rider that lands have "Exile ~ from your hand: draw a card", so I don't have to pull them out before starting (and increasing the possibility space slightly, as players would have possible access to extra lands if they felt they wanted them). I'm always looking for low player count cube variants, so this is really cool.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Alaan posted:

Still kind of looking for a WR theme in my pauper cube. I was originally thinking RW Humans which seemed like it should be well supported, but is pretty eeeh. Obviously plenty of humans, but not a ton that cares about humans. Suggestions?

I have a peasant cube, and I run RW tokens (most of the cards for which are common, or have common variants). Commons you could use are things like: Krenko's Command, Mogg War Marshal, Triplicate Spirits, Attended Knight etc. I included them with Trumpet Blast effects as finishers.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Alaan posted:

Out of curiosity, what is your full set of themes? Also I really just might end up going into big buck territory of peasant from pauper :v: I'd really like to have draft themes but so far I think only a couple of my themes aren't just straight up weaker than good stuff in those colors. You get really crimped on playables for a lot of stuff.

Not sure I have a full set of "themes" - I've just been trying to build the cube to support the decks I like playing. I do keep a primer document on the whole thing, though; that way, in case I build in something interesting, players can see what's available before playing.

Some of what I've tried to build into the cube includes:
WB - Extort Control (need to add some more support for this - it's in the works); Weenie Aggro
UR - Guttersnipe Combo; Tempo
BG - Dredge Reanimator (again, need to add some more support for this - at least a Commune with the Gods effect); Rock Midrange
RW - Aggro Tokens; Aggro
GU - Goodstuff.dec (gently caress knows what you can do with GU other than Draw/Ramp...Win but I like playing it)

GW - Midrange tokens; Ramp
WU - Flicker Control; Skies
UB - Reanimator/Aetherplasm Combo; Control
BR - Rakdos Deck Wins; Control
RG - Monsters Ramp; Aggro

List here (Modern Peasant, primer linked in description):
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/14449

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Xeom posted:

Do goons have any experience with smaller cubes? I am planning to make mine 225 to start with. Ill most be drafting at some LGS's, and figure its a good way to start a play group. Also its much easier to keep track of cards with only 3 other people, although I am not too worried about that.

Also scroll rack or sensei's ?

I'd make sure there's always competition for each colour - if you can build up to 270 instead of 225, you can support 6 drafters (225 supports 5, which leads to a number of unused cards, or an odd number of players (so one sits out each round)). It might be worth considering going with a 4-colour cube instead of the full 5 if you're building small, too - otherwise, 3-4 of your players will get to draft uncontested mono-colour decks. 4-players around a 5-colour cube will often lead to a rotating mass of one colour going to picks 13-15 every pack. You can always add in the 5th colour when you make up your list to the full 360 later.

If you're worried about keeping track of cards, just don't put in anything expensive that isn't a proxy. I only have a Peasant cube, and it still has proxies for every card over about £1 (unless I was given them by other players), since I didn't have the extra £60 kicking around to buy the last 40 cards I needed when I first drew up the list (and I've been lazy picking them up since). If someone walked out with their picks from my cube, I'd be gutted, but I'd only be out ~£20 (not that anyone will, but it's always a consideration). One of my friends printed the whole first MTGO powered cube onto card a couple of years ago, and we played with that - no-one cares that the Lotus isn't real, so long as they get to play with it.

Edit: Proxies aren't a bad idea regardless - if you can test the water with a proxied cube, you can find out if there's an audience for it before you go heavy into building. And if it fails, you're only out 3-400 sleeves (which I'm sure you can find takers for if you don't need them yourself) and an hour or two printing/cutting out pictures in front of the TV.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 17, 2015

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

kirtar posted:

What are good options for relatively large red creatures in peasant? I'm planning on making aggro one of the main red themes, but I would like to throw in a few larger threats.

I run Gathan Raiders and Stoneshock Giant at 5 mana, and Shockmaw Dragon and Volcanic Dragon in the 6 mana slots. Though to be fair, Gathan Raiders is really a 3 mana dredge/reanimator enabler rather than a 5 mana red creature. Other options include Scuzzback Marauders (a real house in pauper cube, couldn't find a space for it in peasant) and Spitebellows (if you have a few instant speed flicker effects, he could be rather fun).

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

bhsman posted:

Forgive me if some of the first couple of pages covered this, but is there a good "Building your first Cube" article that you guys would recommend? None of the Commander decks really excited me and I got turned on to the idea of building a Peasant Cube to play with friends.

The best cube-building article I ever read (for the development of my cube) is this one Removing Removal in Cube. It talks about asfan (which is essentially the number of a given type of card you see when you "fan out" a booster pack) for removal in Rise of the Eldrazi and Innistrad vs. the number Alex Ullman had in his cube at the time of writing (i.e. way more). I took this thinking and ran with it a little, to end up with some numbers I was happy with for removal, mana ramp, mana fixing and other such concerns. I did consider doing something similar with mana costs (and I still might), but I never got round to it.

I based my removal per colour and mana ramp on the average of the two "best" draft environments (RoE and Innistrad), and the amount of colourless fixing on two multi-colour single set draft environments (KTK and RTR). The numbers I came out with are in the spreadsheet here: Peasant Asfan Sheet if you're interested in having a look. (On multi-coloured cards -- I explicitly added three cards of each two-colour pair, and then added some number of hybrid cards that I liked (counting them as half a card of each colour).

The final list is here if you want to look at it: Modern Peasant Cube. I built it as "cards that were or are Modern legal, and don't cost a lot of money" (it started as "Modern", but I wanted to add Treasure Cruise and Bloodbraid Elf, and Preordain was cheaper than Serum Visions).

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

bhsman posted:

I still need to read through those links, but here is my first shot at an Eternal Peasant Cube for those of you interested. It feels kinda rough right now, but I tried to give each color a theme:

-White: Tokens, tokens, and lots of tokens! Would you like some anthem effects with those tokens? An enchantment subtheme? Maybe some lifegain to go with it? Maybe some more TOKENS?!?!

-Blue: You can either go with flying aggro, turtle up with drop some beaters, or even draft some Prowess dudes and go to town with tempo.

-Black: Some Suicide Black-ish elements, but about halfway through I really liked the idea of adding Aristocrat elements, and I really like how it came out. Ironically this makes Black play very well with white and black.

-Green: Tried to use Green to balance out the relative lack of artifact/enchantment answers, provide some fatties, some ramp, and also some aggro/turtle options. There's also a Landfall sub-theme that makes it play well with Red.

-Red: There's burn, to be sure, but whether through creatures or spells with Y. Peezy and Guttersnipe backing up Kiln Fiend and Swiftspear. Also has some token generators to go with Black, White, and Green.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

I just did a quick test draft of this cube, and grabbed about four reanimator effects (Exhume, Animate Dead and Makeshift Mannequin were picks 1-3; Reanimate came later). I didn't see many dredge or loot effects to go with it, so I looked through your list -- you only have Gather the Pack, Hymn (ish), Zombie Infestation, Merfolk Looter and Enclave Cryptologist to support these cards. Maybe add a couple of others? (I like Rotting Rats, Raven's Crime, Smallpox, Erebos's Emissary, Twisted Abomination and Gathan Raiders for a mono-black approach (Gathan Raiders is colourless for all intents and purposes)). Also, I found the two shrines (Shrine of Loyal Legions and Shrine of Burning Rage) and any control magic effects (Control Magic, Mind Control) to be ridiculously powerful in my cube, so they might want looking at. Otherwise, looks good. I can see some good stuff in the draft packs that could lead down some nice archetype paths, so that's cool.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Pontius Pilate posted:

Any cards people have their eyes on from the new set?

I only run a Modern Peasant cube, but I like a few of the cards:
Wall of Resurgence (Value!)
Reckless Bushwhacker (Boros tokens loves this guy).
Reflector Mage (since the Modern limitation on my cube cuts out Man o' War, this will just have to do.)
Umara Entangler and Stormchaser Mage (U/R "spells matter" archetype wants these).
Void Grafter (been thinking about a U/G redesign around flash creatures, this might make it viable; if not, a creature/counter hybrid is still pretty sweet).

Possibly also Void Shatter, Embodiment of Fury and Embodiment of Insight, though I might have to do a little bit of fiddling to get some more land-creatures for the Embodiments to play with.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 11, 2016

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Moogs posted:

I was heartbroken that Goblin Kaboomist proved itself to be too weak for even this format

Could build around coin flipping a bit, and build in Krark's Thumb, Chance Encounter, Impulsive Maneuvers, and some other coin-flip outlets. Though to be fair, it's probably still terrible.

If you could put your cube up on cubetutor, it would be easier to look through (it has mouse-over card images and such). I'd be happy to do a couple of test drafts of it to see what a deck might look like.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Man_alive posted:

I've got a question.
My cube currently looks like this:
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/63221

I've drafted it a couple of times with my play group, and the feedback I've gotten is that it's incredibly fun to draft and play, but on the face of it, it seems a little unbalanced in that Red looks to be more of a "support" colour, and there doesn't seem to be anything that sort of stands out as being a build-around, other than Sneak Attack.

Does anyone else have any feedback on the list, and what I could potentially change/add/remove?

There's quite a lot of tribal stuff going on, which seemed fun (I just did a quick draft, and went P1: Elvish Archdruid, P2-45: Elves and support). Your green seems to be very top-heavy, so I'd maybe cut a few cards from the 6-8 range and put in a couple of cheaper ones, and your multi-colour balance seems off (e.g. 7 Simic to 2 Rakdos (since I'd play a Murderous Redcap in either a red or black deck, where I think Wistful Selkie is probably only going into Simic)). Also personally, I really don't like Sorcery speed Threaten effects, and prefer instant speed ones (like Act of Aggression or Blind With Anger), as the extra flexibility makes up for the extra costs involved.

Finally, not suggesting you cut it, but I'd put Intangible Virtue on watch. It's such a huge card when it drops that it makes games against it really suck. The +1/+1 is OK, but giving the whole board Vigilance is a complete pain in the arse.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

suicidesteve posted:

So what have people added to their cubes from the last few sets? Like, BFZ and up?

Peasant cube here, but I added:

Wall of Resurgence
Umara Entangler
Aberrant Researcher
Heir of Falkenrath
Pale Rider of Trostad
Reckless Bushwhacker
Embodiment of Fury
Embodiment of Insight
Rabid Bite
Reflector Mage
Catacomb Sifter
Void Grafter
Stormchaser Mage
Cryptolith Fragment
Hedron Archive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

whydirt posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite vanilla or french vanilla creature in terms of art or flavor text?

I’m making a board game style cube for newer players and looking for easy-to-grok but still cool cards. Other cool top-down card suggestions also welcome!

(Crossposting from the main MtG thread in case anyone here avoids that place)

I'm particularly partial to Scathe Zombies - especially the "dudes milling about confused" art version.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 29, 2020