Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Everyone post your cube!

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1728

I don't get to draft it near as often as I want so I'd appreciate it if you guys went ahead and just drafted it a bunch of times for me. Let me know what you like, what you don't!

It's semi powered? I don't know. I'm playing with most of the Power 9 but I skipped Time Vault, for some reason. I say semi-powered because I'm still avoiding stuff that's really not fun or interesting, like Aetherling.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Can I get an opinion from the thread on the relatively new idea of making Cubes out of sets? I've heard of people making MM cubes with multiple commons and uncommons and I've been thinking of doing the same with other sets that I remember enjoying drafting.

Does this actually work or is it not a particularly good idea?

It depends on what you want to do.

If your goal is to relive a particular limited environment I personally don't think it works. A cube is some 360+ cards, and sets are upwards of 300, With rarities being what they are you can't make a reasonable facsimile of what a given limited format looks like. You have too many rares usually and not enough cards at common and uncommon. Unless you plan on limiting your cube to 21-30 rares (who wants to do that?)

I think for a lot of people its just an easy way to get started into the whole Cubing thing with a set they likely have a lot of the cards for, and in that way it works out really well.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm trying to find a place for Rude Awakening, any thoughts?

http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/1728

Currently Plow Under is under scrutiny.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Gifts is also amazing with a re-animator package because you can fail to find any number of cards, so you pick two like Elesh Norn and Unburial Rites and your opponent has to put them into your graveyard.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Please do a set of power, I'll throw my excellent fakes into the trash and run them forever :allears:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I really want to replace the Scars block fast lands and I could use some suggestions.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

This is my cube currently.

http://cubetutor.com/home/1728

I give no fucks about cycles I just want 5 lands my players don't say "I hate drawing this"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I agree wholly, I just don't know what would be interesting in their place.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There's a few big guys with slightly different relevant abilites. A few hasters, some semi elusive "must be blocked by 2 or more" or whatever type of guys but there are none of type of targets with ETB abilities that serve as answers which is what you typically need to make reanimator solid in a cube.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I need to pull all the power and duals out of my cube because the proxies are way too thick and have started to "curl" does anyone have any good suggestions?

Or am I about to spend 1000+ dollars for Collectors Edition Duals and Power :suicide:

EDIT: Oh man, I forgot that's library and tabernacle too, fuuuccckkk

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You could make efforts to ensure that every single card in your cube has reminder text but that will only go so far.

I doubt that would be enough to make the cube newbie friendly. Most cubes have several types of decks, cards, and synergies whose value won't be readily apparent to new players. You would probably have to dilute a lot of the cube until you basically have something like a Core set, and I doubt you would find that very fun or interesting for the long term.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I haven't gotten to cube in a long time and as such haven't updated it since maybe, Ravnica?

I would appreciate any input as I go about replacing old cards with new hotness.

http://www.cubetutor.com/home/1728

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Null1fy posted:

Check out Conspiracies. You run power: backup plan, double stroke and power play are as powerful if not more so than power.

I have this very silly "its not real magic" feeling when it comes to conspiracies. I have power because there's just such a "cool" and exciting factor to drafting a lotus and powering something out Turn 1 and I'm not sure I'm willing to trade crowd favorites or important enablers for the conspiracies, what do you recommend I take out for them?

Also does anyone have experience with the draft-altering cards? Are they worth the slot?

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 19, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Null1fy posted:

Show and Tell, Eureka or Sneak Attack (why are these cards not in the cube????).

I'm too lazy to take them out of Sneak and Show/Trade for one. I guess its time to trade for 5th copies and my first Eureka, ugh.

Love the feedback.

I have this paralysis when it comes to getting rid of cards. I always start thinking "but I drafted this one time and it was cool" and I just get stuck not changing anything. I'm thinking of replacing certain things in my cube with the following, and I'd love suggestions as to what to replace.

Soldier of the Pantheon
Imposing Sovereign
Brimaz, King of Oreskos
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Spear of Heliod (probably an easy swap for Glorious Anthem)

Augur of Bolas
Serendib Efreet
Venser, Shaper Savant
Jace, Architect of Thought (I'm on the fence about this one)
Daze (also on the fence)

Hero's Downfall
Desecration Demon
Necromancy

Firefrinker Satyr
Young Pyromancer
Eidolon of the Great Revel
Chandra, Pyromaster
Faithless Looting

Elvish Mystic (I have enough mana elves maybe?)
Experiment One
Courser of Kruphix

Xenagons, the Reveler
Tidehollow Sculler
Lolteth Troll
Kiora, the Crashing Way

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 19, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Finding cards to put in has never been the issue. I can never decide what to take out.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If U/G theme isn't madness you're a bad person

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I wouldn't personally.

I pirated more music than I can count as a kid, so far be it from me to make a judgement on someone who wants a cheap alternative to 10 duals. What I will say though is be a decent person and mark your fakes in some way. Write "proxy" across the back in marker, its going to look the same in your cube and it removes the possibility of it ever being used to rip someone off. (You never know how these things might make it back into circulation) Whatever you think of WOTC or retailers when some kid blows his summer job money on fake duals it's a lovely thing and if you really just care about your cube it won't cost you a thing to scribble "FAKE" across the back.

The reason I say I wouldn't isn't on moral grounds though. The quality is middling to really poor with these fakes and like most of the Chinese knock-off industry these counterfeiters are basically a few steps removed from scammers. They advertise custom orders of all these cards but in reality they just have one or two sheets they print, cut, and package. One guy at my local store ordered 150+ cards hoping to finish off his cube. What he got instead were three small boxes, each box had 56 cards and the content of each box was identical. He needed maybe 6 of the cards he got shipped.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Xeom posted:

Ciprian Maricon there are two kinds of chinese counterfitters as far as I can tell. Those who just print magic cards on cardboard and really don't put any effort into it, no colored core, don't care about passing any test. Then there are those who are really trying to make the best replicas possible. I think the guy I am buying from is more of the latter so hopefully the quality should be up there.

You are misinformed, while I'm sure plenty of the Chinese counterfeits are really really bad, the ones making all the big news are also very poor. The fakes I've seen in my area pass the bend, light, and water tests. They also have the black core paper that people say is in the SUPER GOOD NEW COUNTERFEITS that MTGLion threw a fit about and started talking about selling his collection (the previous batch that made the news last year had blue cores, so these are the supposed improvements) They are still garbage quality. It's just hype from twitter and forums, it takes some 30 days to get your cards so every time a new video or a convincing picture gets taken it makes a buzz on the internet but by the time anyone gets the cards and realizes they are real bad no one is talking about it anymore.

This is their latest super scary end of the world level counterfeit and the loving retards can't even get a set symbol on there.

The quality is real bad in other ways. The cards are thin and flimsy like the cheapest traditional playing cards (because that's the kind of equipment they are printed on) they don't bend, feel, or shuffle like regular Magic cards do. I understand that people are just so excited to make their cheap cube or whatever but I'm telling you directly from people who've bought these cards, I'm telling you as I hold that lovely loving Batterskull in my hand.

These cards suck real bad.

I'm not trying to dissuade you because I think it's immoral, I just honestly think its a garbage product. Just buy your proxies on etsy or wherever people did before these Chinese fakes. They'll be as good or better, probably around the same price, you won't wait a month for your cards, and if you get ripped off you'll actually be able to get your money back.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 6, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Everything that's not proxied, factoring in foils and promos and whatnot, comes to about $4200-4300 for mine.

And my dream of a fully foiled cube is still a LONG way away :negative:

I don't even want to think about it. Between power and foils, its upsetting for sure.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's the random stuff that gets you man, foil Enlightened Tutor is like 70 bucks.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

My power is Unlimited copies I was picking up as I looked to get into vintage/collectors edition.

I don't know how I will ever get a Lotus now, the price climbs faster than I can save for it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Xeom posted:

Do any of you guys ever take your cubes out of your homes? Anybody ballsy enough to game with it at your lgs?

I work really closely with my LGS and have a key so I've no problem taking my Cube there after hours, locking the door and having some beers while we play cube.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

As far as cycles I think you really need the priority is Fetchlands, Duals, Shocks, and then Manlands, unless you're cube is massive I just don't think you're going to be looking for the Scars Fastlands, so many utility lands that would be better use of a slot and with 30 Fetches and Duals you're going to need a massive Cube before you start looking at them for fixing.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I need to re-sleeve my cube, does anyone know of anything cheaper than getting a 10 pack of perfect fits and a 10 pack of KMC Standard Size protectors from Potomac Distribution?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm trying to find room for Yawgs will and considering trading out Channel for Eureka, my thought is channel can be used in a deck other than giant ramp fatties.

Thoughts?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Turn away now. That's a good solid cube list and if you sleeve it up you're going to be finding yourself chasing down 100+ dollar cards for your unpowered 450 list before you even know what happened.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

IMO find a list on cube tutor you think is manageable and start there. There are some great lists out there and nothing is going to help you build a cube that you and your friends will enjoy more than just getting one together and playing it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Today I decided to tear my cube down from 450 powered to 360 unpowered (but with some busted stuff still in like Sol Ring) I wasn't getting to cube very much. Part of that came down to my Cube not being sanction-able since it includes some proxies and I really don't feel like sleeving up the few pieces of power I have and rolling the dice on a relative stranger not running off with my ridiculously overpriced cardboard. I made the decision that I'd enjoy my cube a lot more if I could get to draft it more often, and I'd draft it more often if it was sanctionable and didn't include power and some other really expensive stuff.

I took a quick pass at making cuts and stuff at work and I ended up here:

http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/1728

I'd love some input.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Quick scan looks good but are the duals CE or beta? Either way one of your objectives isn't being met.

The duals are Unlimited, the art on the visual spoiler doesn't represent what's in my cube, I just went with whatever edition popped up first. I've never taken the time to have it appropriately reflect editions, judge foils, etc.

ScarletBrother posted:

Can it not be sanctioned as a 'casual' draft event if there are proxies? Because one of my LGSs has been doing just that.

You cannot sanction any sort of play with proxies at all. This is a relatively recent change to policy. You might want to warn your LGS so they don't face problems (or might not, I'm not one to Judge)

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/proxies-policy-and-communication-2016-01-14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

little munchkin posted:

Sol Ring is most definitely power, it seems even worse without moxes and stuff because now only one person gets broken mana acceleration. Balance doesn't seem very fair either.

I like both cards a lot. I'm certainly open to hearing cuts for Sol Ring. Balance I think is very powerful but requires you to build, draft, and play in a way to take advantage of it so I think it's worth sticking around for now. Will definitely put it on the list.

little munchkin posted:

I like the idea of taking out Vampire Hexmage or Oona's Prowler for Relentless Dead from SoI. It gives you another zombie for gravecrawler and nobody plays those other cards anyways.

Vampire Hexmage for sure is worth cutting. It's in my cube because it's such a unique effect, really though it's never done anything more interesting than kill off a planeswalker or nerf a Shrine of Burning Rage.

I like Oona's prowler a lot, It's can pull double duty as an aggressive evasive creature for aggressive B/R lists, but its also great for reanimation decks to use it to put big butts in the graveyard so I think it's worth keeping (for now at least).

little munchkin posted:

I think you need more ramp targets, or cut some of the lesser green ramp enablers for something else.

One of the complaints from when the Cube was 450 cards was that there was not much for green to do except ramp. I'm not sure which way to go with the color and it definitely shows in my current list. There are for sure a lot of mana dorks right now. I'm not sure if it was a behavior unique to my previous playgroup but those dudes loved drafting mana dorks so the cube gradually added a lot more than might be necessary.

It'd be nice to make room for some stuff like Rude Awakening, Plow Under, or maybe just more of the best fatties like Avenger of Zendikar and Hornet Queen

On the cutting board are:
Wild Nacatl
Elvish Visionary
Life from the Loam

I'm terrible at removing cards I like them all.

little munchkin posted:

There's got to be better stuff in B/U than Warped Physique.

Sure.

little munchkin posted:

Do people actually play Venser? I see it in every cube but at least on Cockatrice nobody ever picks it.

Venser is crazy good and cool and you need to draft it at least once and have your mind blown.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 21, 2016