Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

tuyop posted:

I've heard that that's a pretty common strategy, expatriating to somewhere cheap, but isn't there a ban on landowning for expats or something?

Yes, foreigners are not allowed to buy land. But nobody can buy property here in Singapore either, you can only get a 99 year lease and you have to be singaporean or PR for that.

I have no interest in owning property, whether it be here in asia or back home in America. I understand that is a goal for many people, but it is not for me, at least as far out as I can see. This of course might change eventually, but currently I have no ill feelings about renting until I die. I felt that way when I lived in Houston too, where it seemed everybody's only life goal was "buy a house."

Philippine stock market has 8 index funds. I am just learning about how to talk about these things, and I don't understand how to measure if it's "good" or not. I am looking into opening an account to trade there. It's a pain. Maybe I can have my FA stateside invest in the PSE from my american brokerage account? That's what they do, right? Although if I want to move there eventually, it might be wise to have a proper local bank account.

My dream retirement is to live in a hut in El Nido and rock climb/kayak/dive/yoga/boat and have no electricity each afternoon and live the simple life in this protected nature paradise.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Switchback posted:

My dream retirement is to live in a hut in El Nido and rock climb/kayak/dive/yoga/boat and have no electricity each afternoon and live the simple life in this protected nature paradise.
Definitely do this, but don't force yourself to continue with it if it stops satisfying you. My favorite part of FI is being able to embrace change.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So my friend brought up a good question that I didn't have an answer for regarding early retirement. If all of my money is essentially locked away in a 401k and Roth IRA, how do I survive until I hit 60? I know you can take out the money you contribute from your Roth IRA before 60 penatly-free, but I feel like you don't want to do that to let your money grow right?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

enthe0s posted:

So my friend brought up a good question that I didn't have an answer for regarding early retirement. If all of my money is essentially locked away in a 401k and Roth IRA, how do I survive until I hit 60? I know you can take out the money you contribute from your Roth IRA before 60 penatly-free, but I feel like you don't want to do that to let your money grow right?

Have a separate taxable account? By the time you pull it out, your income should be pretty low taxed anyways.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

enthe0s posted:

This is one of the trickier parts of FI... in the ideal situation you'd be maxing out your 401k and Roth IRA and you wouldn't have to touch that money until you're 60 - the money you'd live on until you're 60 would come from elsewhere.

However, it's imaginable that you're moving to a much cheaper country - say you work from age 20 to age 40 with a 22500 contribute every year and a 5% interest rate - you'd end up with 780K, giving you 20K-30K to live on every year. Doable (though I'd rather have more).

There are specific rules on withdrawing from a Roth IRA. Basically, you'll want to ideally plan it out so that you'll live off of only the contributions on the IRA, not the interest.

If you could give specifics, we could give more guidance.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 6, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

enthe0s posted:

Save money in investments that aren't retirement accounts. I don't know how much you make but you should be probably saving more than the 401k/IRA annual contribution limits anyway.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm only 23 and I just started my first job 6 months ago, so I'm fairly new to all this. I'm currently working on saving enough money for a 6month emergency fund which I plan to just keep in a savings/checking account and paying off my student loans (which were a modest 7k). Once I've got those 2 things done, where are some places I can put my money where it will still grow at a good rate but is liquid enough to pull from?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

enthe0s posted:

So I'm only 23 and I just started my first job 6 months ago, so I'm fairly new to all this. I'm currently working on saving enough money for a 6month emergency fund which I plan to just keep in a savings/checking account and paying off my student loans (which were a modest 7k). Once I've got those 2 things done, where are some places I can put my money where it will still grow at a good rate but is liquid enough to pull from?

Just buy index funds and pull from/replenish that emergency fund that you keep in cash, no reason to sell investments and eat fees for quick cash. If you are constantly pulling from it, revise your spending or make your budget more realistic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Good rate and liquid are hard to find these days. Well, good rate, liquid, and not-too-risky, at least.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Somebody said it best in another thread here, that an emergency fund should generate a return like airbags should make your car go faster.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

Just buy index funds and pull from/replenish that emergency fund that you keep in cash, no reason to sell investments and eat fees for quick cash. If you are constantly pulling from it, revise your spending or make your budget more realistic.

So would I do this through Vanguard I assume? Just open a general savings account?

Also, a slightly related question, but can you divert the gains from a 401k/Roth IRA to your own personal account instead of having them reinvested? I wouldn't do this right now obviously since I want those accounts to grow as fast as possible, but is that something I could do down the line for some passive income?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

enthe0s posted:

So would I do this through Vanguard I assume? Just open a general savings account?

Also, a slightly related question, but can you divert the gains from a 401k/Roth IRA to your own personal account instead of having them reinvested? I wouldn't do this right now obviously since I want those accounts to grow as fast as possible, but is that something I could do down the line for some passive income?

Err, keep your emergency fund in a regular bank account wherever, it doesn't matter much which one since it is purely for giving you access to cash quickly. Keep any additional savings in index funds/bonds through Vanguard(others are also more qualified to be more specific here).

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

No Wave posted:

This is one of the trickier parts of FI... in the ideal situation you'd be maxing out your 401k and Roth IRA and you wouldn't have to touch that money until you're 60 - the money you'd live on until you're 60 would come from elsewhere.

However, it's imaginable that you're moving to a much cheaper country - say you work from age 20 to age 40 with a 22500 contribute every year and a 5% interest rate - you'd end up with 780K, giving you 20K-30K to live on every year. Doable (though I'd rather have more).

There are specific rules on withdrawing from a Roth IRA. Basically, you'll want to ideally plan it out so that you'll live off of only the contributions on the IRA, not the interest.

If you could give specifics, we could give more guidance.

There's an option for early withdrawals called SEPP (Substantially Equal Periodic Payment) where you can set up a periodic withdrawal that avoids the tax penalty. It's very strict, though, and loving it up results in a huge backtax penalty.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

enthe0s posted:

You can't (and, well, it already is passive income, but I get what you mean).

With Roth you can actually do the opposite - you can withdraw the contribution without penalty at pretty much any time but you can't withdraw interest gains until you qualify.

koolkal posted:

There's an option for early withdrawals called SEPP (Substantially Equal Periodic Payment) where you can set up a periodic withdrawal that avoids the tax penalty. It's very strict, though, and loving it up results in a huge backtax penalty.
Oh, wow - this looks like it was designed for early retirement... cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No Wave posted:

Oh, wow - this looks like it was designed for early retirement... cool.
Yeah I think you have to estimate a life expectancy and strictly draw the same amount each year until then.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

You can't (and, well, it already is passive income, but I get what you mean).

This is something I will be able to do with my other accounts though, correct? Trying to make sure I understand how all this works correctly.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

enthe0s posted:

I'd keep the emergency fund in a money market account. It's liquid enough for its purpose but it's out-of-sight-out-of-mind enough that you're not overly tempted to tap into it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Or just get a grip on your impulses and keep it in your chequing account.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

tuyop posted:

Or just get a grip on your impulses and keep it in your chequing account.

You can kiss that money goodbye if someone gets ahold of your account number.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Harry posted:

You can kiss that money goodbye if someone gets ahold of your account number.

Are you suggesting it is a bad idea to have a checking account at all? That is a weird post.

EDIT: I guess I assumed "keep it in your checking account" to be shorthand for "keep it in a regular bank account with some portion in checking and some in savings", and move some to checking if it gets low. The key part is the regular bank account part, I assumed the poster could figure it out from there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 6, 2013

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Jeffrey posted:

Are you suggesting it is a bad idea to have a checking account at all? That is a weird post.

No, having all your money in a checking account is a bad idea.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I don't understand why anybody would do that unless they entered some weird alternate reality where savings accounts and money market accounts no longer exist?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, I keep my emergency fund in my checking account because that's where my money gets wired to from my company. It's another step to have to move it a different account, but I guess it's probably worth it for even the small amount of interest a savings/money market account will generate.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I might be paranoid, but I'm personally more worried about theft. If somebody gains access to my account in some way (forged check, lifted debit number and pin, or even in person with a gun and a ride to an ATM), I want my emergency fund to be safe. In fact, something happening where my checking account got cleared out is one of the specific emergencies I'd think an emergency fund would be useful for. Even if you get the money back, it would likely take some time and I don't want to miss a mortgage payment over it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

I might be paranoid, but I'm personally more worried about theft. If somebody gains access to my account in some way (forged check, lifted debit number and pin, or even in person with a gun and a ride to an ATM), I want my emergency fund to be safe. In fact, something happening where my checking account got cleared out is one of the specific emergencies I'd think an emergency fund would be useful for. Even if you get the money back, it would likely take some time and I don't want to miss a mortgage payment over it.

A debit limit serves to help this as well. Also you should probably be even more worried about identity theft and malware on your PC getting your online banking/investment passwords than you are about whatever is in your savings/checking accounts.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Jeffrey posted:

A debit limit serves to help this as well. Also you should probably be even more worried about identity theft and malware on your PC getting your online banking/investment passwords than you are about whatever is in your savings/checking accounts.

Sure, but to me it's about balance between risk and liquidity. Moving money from checking into savings has just about no decrease in liquidity, but has an arguably large decrease in risk. You could decrease your risk even further with bars of gold in a safety deposit box, but that would reduce liquidity. A good rule of thumb for me is that if I wind up in jail, I should be able to access that money from jail that night to post bail.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

And make sure you don't have any optional services like overdraft protection which would autodraft from your savings to fund a large debit/check transaction intended to clear you out. I guess ideally it would be best to maintain that savings account in a separate bank or credit union where you don't even have a checking account, but I probably wouldn't go through the hassle.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
You can have multiple bank accounts. Open a free account somewhere just for your efund. It's easy enough to do transfers in and out of it for non-emergency stuff, and you can have a debit card that you keep in a drawer at home so it can't get robbed. It also means if you have some weird dispute with your primary bank, the emergency funds aren't tied up in that dispute. Liquidity + Safety.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SpelledBackwards posted:

And make sure you don't have any optional services like overdraft protection which would autodraft from your savings to fund a large debit/check transaction intended to clear you out. I guess ideally it would be best to maintain that savings account in a separate bank or credit union where you don't even have a checking account, but I probably wouldn't go through the hassle.

All overdraft is optional now. It can be turned off even on your checking account (was the result of a law that I forget the name of at the moment).

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

SpelledBackwards posted:

That's not how my overdraft protection works. It doesn't siphon it from my savings account. It just won't let the transaction run through.

It only happened to me once when I was spending a couple hundred bucks at the store. My card wouldn't run. It would not accept it no matter what I did, It got declined repeatedly. I called my bank to ask what was up and I guess I either enrolled in the overdraft protection or was automatically enrolled because I don't remember even knowing about it. Anyway I just transferred some money from my savings to my checking over the phone and was able to make the purchase. But no, it did not automatically take it from my savings (which is with the same bank).

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

razz posted:

That's not how my overdraft protection works. It doesn't siphon it from my savings account. It just won't let the transaction run through.

It only happened to me once when I was spending a couple hundred bucks at the store. My card wouldn't run. It would not accept it no matter what I did, It got declined repeatedly. I called my bank to ask what was up and I guess I either enrolled in the overdraft protection or was automatically enrolled because I don't remember even knowing about it. Anyway I just transferred some money from my savings to my checking over the phone and was able to make the purchase. But no, it did not automatically take it from my savings (which is with the same bank).

Capital One and Chase (I'm assuming all major banks as well) has the option for the money to come out of your savings account automatically instead of being declined/overdrafted. It's title is something similar to overdraft protection.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wells Fargo's version of overdraft protection is pulling the balance from your savings or credit account instead, AND giving you a $25 fee. A slight discount from the typical $35 overdraft fee. Thanks!

When that law passed ~years ago that forced overdraft protection to be optional, WF sent out letters saying "Make sure your transactions don't get declined" as a cute, vaguely threatening euphemism for "stay enrolled in our overdraft protection".

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah AFAIK, the default federal status is now for banks to decline PIN enabled debit transactions in the case of insufficient funds. 'Overdraft Protection' is the opt-in package that allows you to overdraft on debit transactions and siphons money from savings and charges you a stupid fee in the process.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
That's a type of "Overdraft Protection" just like geting an Overdraft Line of Credit instead is also a type of Overdraft Protection.

The optional Overdraft Protection that was actually turned into being opt-in is when an item is recieved that overdrafts the account, it no longer will be automatically paid from that account at all, and will actually be returned.

This used to be turned on by default and what constitutes most people understanding of what happens during an overdraft.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Harry posted:

Capital One and Chase (I'm assuming all major banks as well) has the option for the money to come out of your savings account automatically instead of being declined/overdrafted. It's title is something similar to overdraft protection.

That seems like it would be a better system for me, I'll have to ask about it. I always have money in my savings account but sometimes I cut it a little close with the checking account. It's how I save money on my practically-minimum-wage salary. Throw a bunch in my savings account when I get paid and live off what I leave myself in my checking account.

That begs a different question - is financial independence possible for people who aren't big earners and probably never will be? My husband is basically an unskilled laborer and I went down a career path that's historically pretty low paying. I'd be pretty thrilled if sometime in the next 5 years we were making 40 or 45K a year combined. Even if we stay in our low cost-of-living area, that's not really what I consider a lot of money for two people. We're hella frugal and are currently living on half that, but it's only possible because we aren't paying rent/utilities right now, and obviously we don't have much in the way of savings. Plus I lose my job at the end of the year (I'm graduating, I get a monthly stipend from the grad school).

Now I know it's not likely that my husband and I will be minimum wage earners our entire life. But I worry sometimes that I'll be working until I'm 70. We don't want kids so that will help and have no desire to purchase a house. It's just a little scary, I'll be 28 when I finish school. I've never had a "real" job, never had a 401K or ANY employer benefits. Those phrases are alien to me. My husband went through a divorce before we met that pretty much wiped him out and since then he's basically been a ranch hand, obviously there's no pension or employer savings matching with a job like that. The accountant for the ranch actually said that no one that works on the ranch should be making more than $10 an hour because it's "too much for the type of work they do". Seriously lady, you sit in a cushy chair while they're cutting down trees and fixing barbed-wire fences! That's the small-town mentality - we're all poor so deal with being poor, be happy you even have a job.

It sucks because I love my career (wildlife biologist) and he loves working on the ranch. Anyway that's a little E/N, I'm just rambling at the moment.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You both should learn to code, then you can become, respectively, a wildlife biology app consultant and a ranch hand app consultant.

But yeah fast FI practically requires being both high income and low spending. I'd look into alternate means of revenue. For example, just look at the OP; he manages to save bank just going off his side gig. Since you don't have kids you probably have enough free time to seriously look into this kind of thing.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wells Fargo's version of overdraft protection is pulling the balance from your savings or credit account instead, AND giving you a $25 fee. A slight discount from the typical $35 overdraft fee. Thanks!

When that law passed ~years ago that forced overdraft protection to be optional, WF sent out letters saying "Make sure your transactions don't get declined" as a cute, vaguely threatening euphemism for "stay enrolled in our overdraft protection".

Yeah, I remember getting a mailing from some bank with very similar wording. It's like paying Ticketmaster for convenience fees. I shudder to think how inconvenient my online ticket purchase might've been otherwise, because clearly they took the trouble to save me some hassle, based on that fee's title. :allears:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'd think your ability to live frugally puts you in just as good of a position as someone who makes and saves more but demands a higher lifestyle. When my fiance and I budget it is difficult for us to prioritize life-style cuts below about 45k pre-tax. That's our magic number to feel like we aren't just working and living for later. Anything on top of that goes to savings. Once we get our house paid off that can drop to about 32k. If we made more we wouldn't feel the urge to spend it. We aren't highly material but we love restaurants and bars. It's just our thing, some people like video games or cars or golf or whatever. I'd rather work more and keep the restaurants in the budget at the end of the day.

So I guess what I am saying is I could make twice as much as you and you'd still be able to retire as early as me because of your discipline and frugal lifestyle standards. The percentage you are saving is more important than anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

living on half that

This is the key to financial independence regardless of income. A 50% savings rate, using rough, simple math that involves a bit of risk*, will result in financial independence in 16 years of working.

I think it's helpful to imagine it this way: If you live on only 50% of your income for a year, it means that you do not have to work the next year. You could live off of your savings and go traveling or something. Same with 30%, after three years you can take one off.

MMM Hisself posted:

Assumptions:
- You can earn 5% investment returns after inflation during your saving years
- You’ll live off of the ”4% safe withdrawal rate” after retirement, with some flexibility in your spending during recessions.
- You want your ‘Stash to last forever, you’ll only be touching the gains, since this income may be sustaining you for seventy years or so. Just think of this assumption as a nice generous Safety Margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

razz posted:

That begs a different question - is financial independence possible for people who aren't big earners and probably never will be?

A couple of thoughts here:
Firstly, as the poster above mentioned, increase income with side gigs. There are way too many different ways of making money to list here, but using our household and skill sets as an example - coffee market/event stalls, coffee machine rental, candle making, soap making. Be imaginative and entrepreneurial with the skills that you possess. A microbusiness that costs you a couple hundred bucks or less to start can bring in stunning amounts of money.
Secondly, you could approach the other side of the coin, reducing costs, possibly in radical ways. Buy an RV like ERE write Jacob Fisker and watch your living costs dwindle to barely anything.
Thirdly, leverage anything you can get for free on a regular basis. My job involves visiting a number of cafés who often offer me free food. I never, ever turn them down. They get a kick out of generosity, and I pay for one less meal this week. I've also got a weekly bread run to a bakery who tosses their (perfectly fine) leftover loaves at close of business.

The answer is definitely yes, though. Just requires a lot more creative thinking. It's part of the fun for me, I couldn't handle the grind of a high-paying mindless job (I have briefly held such a position), I much prefer being forced to think outside the cubicle.