Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you can help your kid go to college you should. If you want your kids to have soul crushing debt then go ahead and make them not qualify for loans and not help them. If you want to make it so they have to get good grades that is fine but if you can help and don't....

Paying $1000+ a month on loans is a great time let me tell you. The amount of interest my wife and I have paid makes me shudder at the thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Razz, go to the private sector if you want to make money. Also move west where everything is on public land and needs impact reviews. We basically have HDR on speed dial for all or work (EA, NEPA, field monitors and such).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Maybe he likes kids... People have different desires and priorities man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SlightlyMadman posted:

It's a home, not an investment. If you want to set down and stay somewhere a long time, consider buying a house. If you don't there's nothing wrong with renting and using all the money you save to invest more. They both have their pros and cons.

This is the truth of it.

We bought our house to split our drives/buses to work since they were opposite directions. 8 months later my wife changed companies. The next 6 months she worked 8 blocks from my office, her home office is about 5 miles past my office, and starting June 1 she works in Vail Colorado (while I stay in Denver) for the next 30 months.

We love our location but it is going to kind of suck for me as basically a bachelor. I also am not going to sell after a year and a half for those reasons though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I try to donate $3000 a year and work matches $750. Money is better than time for donation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nail Rat posted:

It's all about the circumstances though. Generally the circumstances where it becomes a disadvantage, both people are well off(and thus *should* be very comfortable due to pooling resources).

MY FIANCEE and I are at about 90kish AGI, but about 80k of that is from me. After we're married, I'll go from having the majority of my income taxed at 25% to having none of it taxed at 25%. Which is nice.

If she finally gets a career off the ground at some point, her raises will disappear under a mountain of taxes though.

Yeah this was great when my wife was between jobs... Now her entire salary basically pays our taxes for the year.

I know it is crappy to complain about it but it sucks that half of the year 15 min of every hour goes to federal taxes...