Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
In addition to the (possibly) unexpected amount of work, you sort of get tied down to a particular location with you own rental properties. Sure you can own remotely but that'll cut into your margins if you have to pay someone to manage it for you.

I personally am investing in companies that pay dividends. I have a mix of lower yielding, higher growth companies and higher yielding, lower growth. Right now I'm getting right around 5% annual yield on cost with a mix of stocks, REITs, mREITS, and P2P lending. I try to weight them so that the high risk portions of my portfolio are a relatively small percentage of the total. I also added some munis on the recent bond "panic". Lately I've been adding stocks which have a history of consistently raising their dividends in the hope that they will continue the trend at a rate higher than inflation. I hope to eventually have enough monthly dividend income that I can work less hours or take a job which I actually enjoy. With a portfolio well diversified between the major industry sectors as well as various different income streams, I am hoping that this income will be relatively stable. This is basically known as dividend growth investing.

As far as health insurance goes, I'm still young and don't plan on leaving my corporate job any time soon but I am hoping that Obamacare will be successful and have all of the kinks worked out by the time I am ready to "retire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Pretty sure you can roll your pre-tax 401(k) into a Roth IRA in quantities of your choosing (once you lease your company or retire). These would be taxable events but you could choose to roll over only the amount necessary to minimize taxes for that year. Presumably you'd be retired so other taxable income would be limited. You can then withdraw these new contributions to the Roth IRA after 5 years. So the idea is to essentially establish a roll over ladder where you roll over some of your old pre-tax 401(k) every year so that 5 years down the road you'll be able to withdraw those contribution tax and penalty free. You would need something to get you through those 5 years but you if you were also contributing to a Roth IRA while working, you could start withdrawing those contributions to tide you over.
Of course you would be limited to living on past contributions until official retirement age since withdrawing the gains would be penalized.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Not to mention he probably enjoys it. Also he definitely posts less when he's on vacation or off doing something.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It doesn't matter how much he's making now, just that he's spending <$25k/yr and is presumably happy. All because he saved up $600k and can now live off those dividends alone. Not getting why his current income is relevant.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I agree that he's said about all there is to say on the topic.

But his family is still living that lifestyle for the most part: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/01/12/exposed-the-mmm-familys-2013-spending/

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Assuming your Vanguard fund is VYM, that's about 3% yield. With $40k that gives you $1,200 per year. Add $300/yr in dividends for your other $10k in stocks. How do you plan on living off of $1,500 per year? How much are you adding to your savings per year?

The Vanguard fund is already diversified so if you are ok with the yield and the companies held in the fund, no reason to diversify.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
While we're talking about cooking, has anyone ever made their own beef jerky? I recently discovered that you can make it with plain old ground beef. Not only is it cheaper than a steak it saves me the hassle of slicing up a steak super thin. I love some beef jerky but drat is it expensive in the store.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've been trying to mix up my commute since I took this job and I recently started biking to work a few days a week to go along with my occasional public transport use. The three options are:

Bike - 15 miles each way, it takes me ~1:15 to go each way. Ongoing cost is minimal, will presumably need to replace tubes and tires eventually, plus a little elbow grease for maintenance.

Drive - 16 miles each way, take 35 minutes in the morning (if I leave before 6:00am) and 50-60 in the afternoon. I worked out the cost to be about $3.75 per day including gas and maintenance. This is the "fastest" route but I feel like my soul is slowly dying when I add up the amount of time I spend sitting in my car in traffic every month.

Public transportation - bus A -> light rail -> bus B -> half mile walk. This costs $4.75 per day and takes 1:15-1:40 depending on traffic and if you catch transfers. I do enjoy being able to read on the bus and would probably do this more often if I didn't have to do so many transfers. It kind of sucks getting out of the reading groove when you have to pay attention to what stop you're at, then using bus tracker to see if you need to sprint to the bus (or suck it up and wait an extra 20 minutes), and jockey for standing space on full buses. Monthly pass would reduce this price slightly (a few dollars per month) but I ride infrequently enough to make it not worth it.

I only recently started biking at the end of October, but it is by far my preferred way to get to work. I was worried about how I'd hold up in the Chicago winter but it's been fine so far. I average 3 days per week biking and highly recommend you give it a shot. How far would your bus rides be? Would you be able to bike the whole way?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

My commute is nearly 20 miles, and the area right around my work is more or less the worst possible safety conditions for a cyclist: high traffic, narrow shoulders, no bike lanes, no greenways, high speed limit, almost entirely multi-lane roads. I did it once and learned that biking in those conditions is my past my personal threshold for danger, plus that distance takes me 2 hours each way, which is just too much.

The bus ride is 30 minutes, 5 minutes layover, then 10 minutes. Not bad as long as I make the connection. If I miss the connection, the second bus comes every thirty minutes...
My bus "B" is every 30 minutes as well, not fun when you just miss that one. Our city's bus tracker service seems to be pretty reliable so that helps me time my commute on the way home when bus B is first. That sucks about the bad biking conditions. I found a back way through neighborhoods to minimize my time on fast roads but sadly that's not an option for everyone.

Before I started biking, I considered bus A -> train -> bike or bike-train-bike as options but quickly learned that I couldn't take a bike on the train during the M-F rush hours. Also considered leaving my bike at the bus B/train stop but in the end decided it'd be too at risk of getting stolen. I'm assuming you already considered the various bus/bike options. It'd be great to get that every-30 bus out of the cycle.

All I can say is to just give it a shot one day. Worst case you don't like it. I don't think there is much money to be saved (unless you sell your car as was suggested) but I think the other benefits are well worth it. I feel so much more awake and alert when I get to work, and obviously it's healthier from an exercise perspective. Plus everyone thinks I'm a badass now when I roll into work on my bike when it's 15 degrees out.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Don't admit that over in the SSD thread. They'll guilt you into replacing it if you care about your data.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

surc posted:

Obviously this would be pretty anecdotal, but any mental tips for getting out of a "done with work, gotta unwind!(eat out/buy alchohol/buy media)" mentality?
I know it's dumb, but my current job involves getting screamed at by my boss for her mistakes, and I find that really at the end of the day all I want to do is eat a nice meal without making it ($$), go for a nice drive ($) smoke a cigarette or 5($$$), and then come play some new video game or watch some show I've never seen before ($$). I'm aware that this is significantly lengthening the amount of time before I can take steps towards where I want my life to be (part-time contract/telecommute work, 4G hotspot, fix up my VW camper interior, dog, America), but at the end of my day I'm just worn down to the point where I often can't make myself want to do fun activities that require effort and do not drain my money and/or kill me. I'm currently trying to get into a better work situation, but in the mean time, every time I look at my bank account I'm annoyed with myself.
I like to workout right when I get home from work. Physical activity helps me clear my head, unwind, and blow off any extra steam before I bring it home with me and let it affect me and my family.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Inverse Icarus posted:

My wife and I keep separate accounts, try our best to split everything evenly, and we "run the numbers" together once a quarter to see where we're at and plan where we're going.

This quarter's review revealed something interesting: We now have more money in our accounts (savings, checking, investments, etc) than is owed on our mortgage.

Sure, we can't just liquidate our investments and blow our emergency funds to kill the mortgage right now, but we are much, much closer to it than we had thought. We're going to sit down and see if we can come up with a plan to really push our savings over the summer and fall to have enough of a "cushion" to feel safe sending a pile of money to Chase and be done with debt entirely.
My wife and I are in a very similar situation except instead of a mortgage, it's student loans. We have just enough cash to pay it all off but that'd leave us with zero emergency fund. We have a bunch in taxable accounts (pre-marriage) but don't really want to sell and realize all of those capital gains. The loans are only 3.17%-3.86% but we're working hard to pay them all off by the end of the year and be debt free aside from our 1.24% car loan. Gonna feel good not to have 5 figures of debt hanging over our heads even if we're in no actual danger of not being able to make the payments.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
To me, the most interesting part is when it comes to retirement. Are you both going to retire independently and just pay into the shared account out of your individual retirement accounts? What about trying to decide how to spend retirement? What if one person saves $2 million for example and the other saves $500k. While you could most likely just go on living your normal lives and just stop working but what if the $2M person wants to travel extensively or buy a beach house but the $500k partner can't afford it?

I guess the answer probably is that these types of goals/plans are discussed periodically over the course of your lives and a general consensus/agreement is reached. In that case it wouldn't be much different than retirement goals for couples with combined incomes. For me it seems a lot easier for people's goals to diverge over time if finances are separate but good communication should prevent that I suppose.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
He's done a few case studies on lower income people: here, here, and here. Some of the recommendations are :rolleyes: but he does at least make the attempt.

Folly posted:

I think it was something like, "you need a relatively high income to retire early, but the spending reductions work well for everybody." Really, his original schtick was pointing out that "middle class" Americans are, in fact, quite wealth and just too privileged to see it.
Agree with this post. I think he has good intentions, but yeah, extremely poor families are going to have a tough time no matter how good the advice is. The first comment thread in this blog post discusses it and he mentions he has intentions of addressing income inequality sometime in the future but who knows.

I don't really read his newer posts anymore unless it's a really compelling topic. Doesn't bother me if he wants to review financially-related products, not going to hate on him for that. He's said his piece in a million different ways by now.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Also his family of 3 has been living on $25k for the past 2 years with "completely reckless spending".

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm pretty sure he's mentioned he plans on not giving his son much money, or not paying for his college or something along those lines. If he does grow up and decide to reject MMM's philosophy, I don't think it would be particularly noteworthy. People gotta find their own way no matter what their parents do or think.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The biggest complaint regarding the disappearance of pensions is that their replacement (401ks) often feature lower company contributions. More money now very more money later is nice if you're getting the same amount of money. Eliminating pensions in favor of 401ks is a cost saving move by companies to reduce their burdens down the road.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Mine is calculated by the following equation: (final average compensation) * 0.06 * (years of service with company) = lump sum distribution.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 12, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Either way, it seems obvious to me which one I'd choose, it's the one that doesn't shackle me to working for life at the company I started working at at age 22. It's beneficial to both parties in my eyes - your statement is only true if the average employee stays at a single company for a long time. Sure, it's great if you're a loyal busy bee who works in the same place their whole life, but is stagnant repetitive jobs at the same company for forty years really the best way for people to live? gently caress everyone who gets a jerk or a creep of a boss and feels compelled to leave, gently caress everyone who pisses someone off by disagreeing with them, gently caress everyone who wants to try running their own business or take time off to raise their kids?
It's just a matter of total compensation. Employees used to get a pension as part of their compensation (and received more and more pension the longer they stayed on). Now employees get a 401k which ends up being less money from the company. Sure if the company contributed to my 401k exactly what they would have to my pension, I'd take the 401k due to better flexibility. But it's not apples to apples because the pensions were (typically) more valuable than what you get with a 401k.

Again, I'd prefer if all of the compensation were paid in cash directly to me at the time I earned it. It would be most beneficial to me to let me decide how I want to save it, but most Americans/people are stupid and need some forced savings. If you have to choose between more money from a pension or less money from a 401k, the answer isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be. Not that it matters, pensions are on their way out anyway (because companies realized they can get away with contributing less if they switch to a 401k and employees are generally none the wiser).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I use Toshl for tracking expenses, it syncs well with the mobile app. Mint doesn't really work too hot if you're overseas.
I tried using Mint to track expenses for a while but switched over to Toshl and it's awesome. You have to enter all of your expenses manually but it's easy through the app. Takes about 7 seconds to pull out phone, 5-10 taps, done. You can export all expenses to excel later if you want to slice and dice it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The 4% safe withdrawal rate presumably is set by the assumption that you can withdraw 4% of your net worth every year and the market will "replenish" what you withdraw. If you have to pay taxes on gains, it'll depend on the rate you pay on those gains.

Say you pay 25% for simplicity. If you have, 10,000,000 DKK and take out 4%, that's 400,000 DKK that you would need to assume you would make back in gains. If that is taxed at 25%, you're left with 300,000 in gains. So in order to keep your withdrawals equal to your assumed 4% minus taxes, you could withdraw 300,000 DKK, assume the market gives you 400,000 DKK in gains (the basis of the 4% SWR), taxes take 25% of that or 100,000 DKK and you're left with the 10,000,000 starting point.

10,000,000 - 300,000 + 400,000 - (400,000 * 0.25) = 10,000,000

So yes, if you accept the 4% SWR rule, then take 4% * (1- tax rate%) = Danish SWR.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 13, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Struensee posted:

this basically leaves me finished saving by the time I'd retire anyway (not really, but almost). It looks like I'll have to look very hard at tax deferred accounts and tax advantaged accounts and saving up a nest egg that'll carry me over until I can withdraw from those.
What can you expect as far as social/government pension goes? If there is a robust retirement plan funded by the government (through your high taxes) then the 4% rule probably isn't directly applicable to you. We in the US basically assume Social Security (our government funded pension) either won't exist or will be reduced enough to be unreliable by the time we reach the official retirement age. So we don't really plan on getting anything.

If you can expect a guaranteed income in retirement from the government, then you wouldn't need to take withdrawals from your investments equal to your expenses.

If you retire early, you could theoretically take more than 4% out every year to cover expenses until the pension kicks in. The math isn't very hard, you just have to make some assumptions, figure out how much you need to spend per year and for how many years.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We have a similar set up as you, we each have $X per month of "allowance". But we also have an "eating out / date night" budget. If we eat out alone (such as buy lunch at work) that's allowance. If we're together, it counts against the eating out / date night. This really helped my spouse come to terms with us having allowances but not feel like we could never spend money on ourselves.

I think you could definitely do something similar with any category, doesn't have to be date nights. It could be $100/ mo on furniture / decorating. That way if she wants that $1k bedroom, you two have to save for 10 months, or alternatively start looking for cheaper options.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I added a small number on my W4 to have my employer deduct a little extra each paycheck to account for taxes I receive on dividends held in a taxable account. I can ballpark how much my dividends will be annually and back calculate how much tax I should be paying bi-weekly to come out roughly even at the end of the year.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Congrats man, that's awesome. I'm hoping to go part time in the next 3-5 years, still trying to make that large number grow a little larger.

While you're updating the OP, a blog I found recently that I really liked that might be worth adding to the OP was Living A FI.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah he's pretty much done with the blog. That's actually one thing I like about it, he actually made a post about how good blogs eventually come to an end.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sgt67 posted:

Just in terms of investing: Who do I talk to about that? Can I do it myself or do I need to talk to a stock broker or...? Is there any institution I should trust over another, for example? Sorry I have no idea on the terms or processes for doing such a thing, never done it before. The main reason my money sits in a pile doing nothing.
What you need to do is pick a broker (Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc) and open an account with them. They'll have a walk through on how to link a bank account to your brokerage account or they'll have an address where you can send a check. Once you have money in the account, it'll probably be placed into a money market fund by default. This is basically just cash. At this point you pick from their mutual fund options, or ETF options, or individual stocks (not advised in your case) and once you have chosen your funds, you initiate a trade where the available funds in the money market account are exchanged for shares of the funds you want. After that, you can probably set up a recurring contribution from your bank or maybe directly from your paycheck. Once you have that going, you should be able to set up an automatic investment where your broker will automatically invest all available funds at the end of each week or immediately when they are deposited. Something along those lines. All of the above should be able to be done online without having to call anyone, however, any reputable brokerage will have customer support to help you.

That's the basics of how to invest. Now go read some stuff about what to invest in.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This guy has a post worth reading outlining simulated draw down scenarios if you had retired at the worst possible times.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 5, 2016

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Blinky2099 posted:

it sounds like no one is ever gonna agree to a safe ish number so I'll just aim for being conservative and quit around 3 to 3.5% withdrawal equivalent

thanks for the posts
The point is that with this being 10+ years off, it makes very little sense to lock yourself into a hard number then just quit when you get there regardless of what happens in the world in the next 10 years. I don't think you're really proposing that but the way you post makes it sound like that's your mentality. Rickshaw hit it on the head, save as much as possible now and for the next 10 years and make your major career decision once you're closer to that point.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My take is that people often under estimate the potential time requirement for such an endeavor. That and maintenance costs can escalate quickly. Getting in on a good deal with well understood maintenance costs is key to success. Many landlords to be don't have the expertise to due the required diligence.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Weirdest one I've seen is accounting software that only lets me contribute an integer percentage of my paycheck to a retirement account. This meant I couldn't max it out, because n% was under the annual limit but (n+1)% was over it. The benefits guy who was configuring it for me seemed very confused and mystified by me wanting anything else so I dropped it.
That's what mine is. Pain in the rear end trying to max. I could change the contribution by 1% once or twice to get closer but it never seems to take effect on the paycheck I expect it to.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Plus if I were to miss the rules change, I'd expect to have more medical expenses in the future anyway so more chances to reimburse myself. Or if I were to manage to not need the funds at all, the worst case scenario is I withdraw the HSA funds like I would a t-IRA when I hit retirement age.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think it's more the system and the hospitals than the doctors. The doctors don't have time to care about who's in their network.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

81k posted:

I also have a 60k emergency fund in cash, which is probably way overkill (is it?).

It's probably not a bad idea to have a large emergency fund if your don't have a good handle on where your money is going every month. Also good to have a large e-fund if your job is in a cyclical industry which is currently in a boom phase.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Beast Pussy posted:

My first question is, how can I best invest my money that I would be able to get at it in a much shorter time than usual (say, 5 years from now) and it still make me some returns? Then, is it really linear enough that if I saved my disability money for ~5 years @ $22500 a year, I'd be able to pull out an extra $500 a month without ever running out?
Minimizing your income tax bill is a big part of the equation. I don't know how your military income is taxed so can't comment on what type of accounts would be best for you.

For now just assume you're not able to get any preferred tax treatment, so that leaves you with standard brokerage accounts. You're not in the business of picking stocks (nor should be) so you're going to want to invest in low cost index funds with extra money you're able to save above and beyond your emergency fund, living expenses, and debt payments.

Regarding your last question, the market is going to go up and down. The idea is that on average you should be able to pull out 4% of your total every year indefinitely (probably better to be conservative and don't plan on more than 3-3.5% rather than 4%). Some years your investment might grow more than that 4% and some years it'll be less (or even drop in value!).

I'd personally recommend not focusing on the withdrawal part but first pay off your debts, then work on saving a portion of your income every month so you get used to not living paycheck to paycheck. Once saving $X/mo becomes a habit let it keep accumulating for a while and in the meantime read up on tax treatment and index investigating. After a few years, you'll have a chunk saved up and hopefully invested. You can then let your $500/mo (or whatever 4% ends up being) keep compounding or you can withdraw some every month to supplement your income. Alternatively you can just stop contributing every month and let your investments keep working.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Beast Pussy posted:

My military money isn't taxed, how does that change things on my end?
My current plan is to pay off the last of the debt I have, and then start saving. How much should I keep in an emergency account as my income is guaranteed?
This might be a good place to start regarding military specific info.

Your emergency fund should be enough to get you out of a jam whether that's a car problem, a medical problem not immediately covered by the VA, legal issues, an emergency flight, etc. Most people recommend 3-6 months of living expenses but since you have a guaranteed income, less would likely be ok. Like a few thousand dollars minimum? Enough to keep you from putting it on a credit card and getting back into to debt.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TraderStav posted:

I imagine it did. Did it extend or shorten your target date? My gut tells me it'll extend it for me. I enjoy what I do (for the most part, as much as one can) and removing the stress of HAVING to get the paycheck may actually make it even better. I'm in operations for a utility so things are always hectic, moreso during horrible weather. Those times I enjoy, it's the time in-between where everyone still acts as there's an emergency going on about dumb stuff. I can see being much more mellow during those times.
I associate with this so much. I'm in operations in a heavy industry and love when the poo poo is hitting the fan and I need to keep the place running. The "good" times get boring as gently caress though. Manufactured emergencies are even worse though.

I think FU money will extend my time but only if I am able to take more PTO and/or go part time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Depending on how long you want in to last and how much risk of ruin you are willing to bare 2.5% might he more sensible for longer horizons.
It's also worth figuring out what your social security income will be since this will provide some low risk, baseline income at some point. After, of course, factoring in the possibility that the payout will be some fraction less than 1 of what it currently is.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm curious if the Mrs. is concerned about money or if she just likes having OP out of the house all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

nnnotime posted:

So far the FIRE plan seems like a good idea to execute. Anything obvious I'm missing out? I don't have any fancy expenses coming up. The only thing I would splurge on are computers and high-end televisions every 5 years. No fancy cars, boats or exotic trips are in my future.

It looks like you have the financial side pretty well figured out, a couple things to think about : Have you accounted for taxes in the investment income you plan on withdrawing? Do you have a plan for what accounts you'll withdraw from? Sounded like you're mostly in taxable accounts, any Roth IRA funds available to withdraw contributions without a tax hit? Do you plan on doing a 401k to Roth IRA conversion ladder?

Assuming you're set on the financials, how are you on the non-financial planning front? Do you know what you're going to do with all of your time? Are you sure you won't want to spend more now that you have time for more hobbies? Do you have a plan for what your days/weeks/months will look like beyond simplify not being forced to go to work anymore?