Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Demented Guy posted:

Also, retirement =/= doing nothing.

Seriously, my father's been retired about two years now, and between his co-op's maintenance committee, the customers he kept (The ones whose projects he liked working on, basically) and taking care of my the boat, he's busier than he was before.

Much, much, much happier though. And my boat's never been in such good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Seriously, 10k for a family of four going from the states to Europe is pretty reasonable, unless you want to stay in hostels... Which, with two kids, might or might not be a good idea.

I just ran some check on Expedia, and a family of four flying round trip from Cleveland to Paris is in for something like 6k. Just for the flights, and that's looking a year in advance and with transfers... Personally I wouldn't want to spend 11h airport to airport with kids, but hey.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

I don't think it's a HUGE deal anyway, I mean your contributions are capped at around $5000 per year at the highest income level. Unless you're going to move to Uganda or something for your retirement, you're going to have to save more than that and use other types of account.

The maximum yearly contribution for RRSP in 2013 is $23,820 :ssh:

You might be thinking of TFSA, whose maximum total amount increases by $5500 every year.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

School's a heck of a lot cheaper in Canada than in the states.

I'm an extreme case (:quebec:, college technical degree) but my diploma program cost about 20k all told, and most of that is living expenses. My parents paid, for what it's worth. (Well I paid most of the third and fourth year myself anyway, since by then I was qualified enough to have decent summer jobs and internships)

It was a big sacrifice for my father, and I was aware of that (There's a motivation not to go home at Christmas with bad grades), but it was important to him and my mother that I be able to start adult life with a clean slate. It's a great feeling, and the freedom is amazing. I could have taken a job that paid less than minimum wage coming out of school and it wouldn't have been an issue (Job here including room and board). The occasion of a life time presented itself three years later, and I could afford to take it (They didn't take me, but the girl who got the job is absolutely rocking it and I ended up taking my life in a whole different direction so I have no regrets.)

I hope I'll be able to give my kids the same opportunity. Plus in many cultures, it's kind of expected that the kids will take care of the parents in old ages, to varying extent. It just makes sense to me to take care of the kids when they're young, and if you can help them build career opportunity and a sound financial future... Well it's kind of an investment :getin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

neaden posted:

Oh poo poo, you better sell all of your possessions and live in a tiny studio apartment and donate all your money to charity then.

That studio apartment could hold at least ten somalian refugees, you capitalist pig.