Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
He's about to enter a very demanding and potentially lucrative job. Let's see if he holds the same opinion after being subjected to office politics, lovely bosses/coworkers, work-related stress and/or the fact that his potentially lucrative job may not be so lucrative/secure after all.

Also, retirement =/= doing nothing. I'm glad that the thread title emphasizes the term financial independence instead of the more loaded "retirement."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
$111,600 and $12,000 at age 60. drat that's depressing. :smith:

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Switchback posted:

Getting back on track, my path to financial independence is taking shape thanks to taking a job in Singapore. What a crazy place... It's like the mecca of consumerism. For the price of a car, I could retire to Philippines (which is my current goal. May decide against it eventually, but I have a harder time saving without a concrete goal in my head.)

You really can't talk to most people about this. My parents are the only people I can celebrate hitting my $50k savings goal. Financial planning is awesome.

So back to the Philippines! I could retire comfortably there for less than $18k/year, which I could theoretically do by the time I'm like 32 (so ~5 years). I would also like to invest in the Philippine stock market. While currently it might be volatile, I think they're a promising up-and-coming economy with much to offer the world. I totally have a crush on the Philippines. Any thoughts on this?

And on the college financing note, I think who you are as a parent will be far more important on how your kid turns out than whether or not you make them struggle paying for school. My education was paid by my parents, and is the only reason I'm in such a great spot now, although I worked 3 jobs through college to pay for food/cigarettes/weed/gas/fun so I guess that was a valuable/motivating lesson. I don't think my friends who are struggling with $30k+ in debt are at all better off for it. They did not get better grades, nor do they have stronger work ethics or "character" to aspire to. Paying for my theoretical kid's education would be a very high priority for me.

Of course, degrees from an accredited Philippine university are quite cheap!

Are you Filipino sir?

As I stated earlier in this thread, this is also our plan. I don't have any opinion on the stock market but it's still an investment avenue. I'd rather invest in index funds here in the States. I don't think index funds exist in the Philippines. Mutual funds and VULs are the vogue and they both suck with their front/back load fees and exorbitant annual fees. The home mortgage industry is not yet matured so a "good" annual interest rate starts at 7% which is pretty absurd. That's why we plan to save a lot of money to eventually be able to construct our own home purely with cash. In the next five years, we're planning to buy a piece of land somewhere NOT in Manila (don't live in Metro Manila because it's already congested as gently caress) and build a home 20-25 years down the line to be able to retire comfortably.

Tuition fees in the Philippines are dirt cheap compared here in States. Both me and my wife finished college by spending "only" around $12,500 TOTAL (tuition and miscellaneous) for our four year degrees in a prestigious university (by Philippine standards, one of the Big 4). Thanks to our culture, it's the parents who shoulder their children's educational expenses so we don't have any student loans to deal with. My wife and I both appreciate this after seeing the horror stories of people being saddled with huge student loans here in the US. Please take note that tuition fees for expats/foreigners are more expensive than local residents for whatever reason so plan accordingly.

As far as we're concerned, we believe we got quality education. We were able to get our CPA licenses here without trouble so I believe the program in our university (at least the Accounting program) is on par with what's prevalent here in the US.

Living in the Philippines is awesome. Everything is dirt cheap (except electronic items). Just be prepared to deal with the traffic especially if you're in Metro Manila.