Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So my friend brought up a good question that I didn't have an answer for regarding early retirement. If all of my money is essentially locked away in a 401k and Roth IRA, how do I survive until I hit 60? I know you can take out the money you contribute from your Roth IRA before 60 penatly-free, but I feel like you don't want to do that to let your money grow right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm only 23 and I just started my first job 6 months ago, so I'm fairly new to all this. I'm currently working on saving enough money for a 6month emergency fund which I plan to just keep in a savings/checking account and paying off my student loans (which were a modest 7k). Once I've got those 2 things done, where are some places I can put my money where it will still grow at a good rate but is liquid enough to pull from?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

Just buy index funds and pull from/replenish that emergency fund that you keep in cash, no reason to sell investments and eat fees for quick cash. If you are constantly pulling from it, revise your spending or make your budget more realistic.

So would I do this through Vanguard I assume? Just open a general savings account?

Also, a slightly related question, but can you divert the gains from a 401k/Roth IRA to your own personal account instead of having them reinvested? I wouldn't do this right now obviously since I want those accounts to grow as fast as possible, but is that something I could do down the line for some passive income?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

You can't (and, well, it already is passive income, but I get what you mean).

This is something I will be able to do with my other accounts though, correct? Trying to make sure I understand how all this works correctly.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, I keep my emergency fund in my checking account because that's where my money gets wired to from my company. It's another step to have to move it a different account, but I guess it's probably worth it for even the small amount of interest a savings/money market account will generate.