Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mofabio posted:

Human lives cost around $1800 to save from preventable diseases. I know that FI and ethics make for strange bedfellows, but in what ethical system is your child's student loan debt worth the actual lives of 90 other children?

edit: picked a less-good quote at first

Oh poo poo, you better sell all of your possessions and live in a tiny studio apartment and donate all your money to charity then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mofabio posted:

(this was a double post, but...)

A side note, it's kind of interesting how you guys are mocking things like replacing cable with netflix, going vegetarian, delaying or not having kids, making due with fewer possessions, and living in a small studio. The context here is charity, but these are common sense paths to FI, too.

I understand where the compartmentalization is coming from here, just thought I'd point out the disconnect.

OK, this argument is bad for two reasons.
1. It is reductive. Seriously you could come in here and start this argument on any thread. Even if we were all getting together to try to save the after school program for at risk teens you could come in and tell us we were being ethically indefensible for trying to help these teens when we could be helping people dying of parasitic disease. I mean sure they might not graduate high school but at least they don't have malaria!
2. It is both an indictment of our current paradigm of neoliberalism/capitalism/consumerism and an endorsement of it. You realized that our current system has winners and losers and that some people, because they had the bad luck to be born to poor people in poor countries are the losers of the system. Your solution to it though doesn't ultimately change anything, you are not trying to change the culture, the government, get any sort of collective responsibility for the conditions of the poorest among us but instead using the neoliberal paradigm to say that we should all work as individuals to acquire as much capital as possible so we can go in there and cure these peoples parasitic diseases without ultimately changing anything. This is a problem because the fact that our system has these winners and losers isn't an accident, it is part of the whole purpose and as long as our society is structured the way it is someone is going to be on the bottom getting hosed.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
[qulot ofote="Jeffrey" post="421412030"]
This doesn't really make sense, there are plenty of people who are happy to throw their time at charity, I'm pretty sure most charitable action is bound by money not volunteer-hours. It's be one thing if you had a special in-demand skill that you could give to a charity on the cheap, but if you're FI chances are you could do much more good by working and donating your salary than you could by spending time on it.
[/quote]

A lot of financial independence stuff has either an implicit or explicit attack on consumerism and capitalism. A big part of mmm it's too point out how rich the middle class and upper middle class in western society is and how easy it is to get off the treadmill. This is just another way to get back on the treadmill only instead of shiny toys it is moral obligation. Participating in the capitalist system becomes a moral good and the systems flaws are overlooked.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mofabio posted:

Hm, I was basing it on cost of flour, but maybe there's more to it? I'm gonna publicly do this math. I buy bread flour for ~$3/5# bag, instant yeast is $8/lb, and I use .58oz yeast per 5# of flour, salt is $cheap, 57oz water is $cheap. Looks like maybe $0.50 to run the oven an hour to bake 5#, based on internet calculators. I let it rise in the fridge, let's say 1600g water * 4.19 J/g*K * 25 delK * 20% cooling efficiency = 0.25 kWh * $0.2/kWh = ok, a nickel, just making sure.

$3 flour + $8/(16/0.58) yeast + $0.55 energy = $3.79, round up to $4, for about 12 500-calorie baguettes, 2 small pizzas, and a focaccia. I think I'm saving a shitload? Am I forgetting anything? Fresh sourdough boules can be like $4, baguettes $2, but admittedly a proper comparison would be by weight. And there's labor cost, but I don't mind 10 minutes of kneading. I guess I could save $0.20 on the yeast and use a levain.

I don't think homemade butter saves much. I did the math one time and it was like, 30% off of an already-cheap fat, costco heavy cream vs. costco butter, and it spoils quick. Maybe there's more savings if you use the fresh buttermilk, too.

We should do a Bay Area bread and pizza night for cheapskates.

There is oddly enough a book exactly on this Make Bread Buy Butter which I read a couple years ago (after getting it from the library). Basically the author goes through a variety of things you can make at home and looks at the cost, time, and quality difference between it and the store bought and makes a recommendation on whether to buy or make it at home.