Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Thanks to a new job which allows me to invest more and gives me a pension and health benefits after retirement, I'm now planning for the possibility that I'll be financially independent and in a position to retire in my early 50's. Does anyone have links to a good book or other resources for holistic long-term planning for FIRE? A lot of what I can find online seems to mainly be about determining your number and appropriate SWR, and tips for thrifty living, but I'm more interested in getting a very wide few of potential problems and challenges.

For example, I have access to both a 401k and 457b, and I initially started maxing the 401k because I thought the more generous catchup provisions offered by the 457b would offer me more tax advantaged space later on. Then I realized that not having to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty on the 457b would be infinitely more useful if I am eventually able to retire before 59 1/2. It was something I hadn't considered because I had previously always planned to retire in my mid-60's. So, anything that goes over all those kinds of considerations and decisions I should be making now would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm in my early 30's, so 20 years away from when I would be eligible to start drawing on my pension and some cost sharing on retirement healthcare costs. No spouse or dependents. I have an HSA, but my new employer doesn't offer a HDHP, so I no longer make contributions.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

moana posted:

Most of the big retirement derailers are healthcare (do you have a plan for coverage pre-medicare?) and disability (do you have own-occupation insurance?). Get an umbrella policy probably to cover liability risk. If you own a home, make sure it's insured.

I wouldn't worry too much about fine tuning your investment/withdrawal strategies because laws change and what is good now may not be good in 20 years, who knows. It's good to have a mix of taxable, trad, and Roth investments for flexibility but I'd just try to max both 401k and 457 if you can for now. Remember you can access your 401k early through SEPP once you retire, so that's not a huge deal.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Any books you'd recommend? I've read the Bogleheads book on retirement planning, but I'm wondering if there's a good equivalent for FIRE planning.

Fancy_Lad posted:

Before using your 457b, make sure it is a 'governmental' plan. I'm not an expert, but if it is a non-governmental, you'll want to do some research to determine if that will actually meet your needs/is worth the risk. Here's a random google search result that looks like it breaks down some of the key differences:

https://wealthkeel.com/blog/what-is-a-457b-plan-and-how-does-it-work

Thanks for the heads up. It's a governmental plan, so no worries on that particular front.