Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Jesus, reading this thread makes me scared. I was checking out my investments, and I started saving in 2003. As of now, my portfolio has made 2.5% per year on average, far lower then the 4% conservative value that gets thrown around. My timing must have been very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

tuyop posted:

US Inflation is like 1.8-2% this year, dude. You need to take some more risks!

And 4% is the safe withdrawal rate, which is basically the rate that, given historic market performance and a properly diversified portfolio, will guarantee that you never run out of money.

One year at -35% really messes with your average. I'm +17% this year, but it was pretty bad between 2007 and 2008.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, doing something "for their own good" when they are not a party to it is a really bad idea dude. I would rather be poor and in a happy marriage then committing financial infidelity.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Harry posted:

It's pretty obvious the wife doesn't care. Quit trying to pretend this is something it isn't.

unprofessional posted:

Anybody else keep significant other out of the loop as far as savings are concerned? I don't have any ulterior motives, but I just know my wife, and if she knew we had the amount I save up available, she'd want to use it. I never know how to feel about this. I just want to make sure we can actually retire.

I stand by my statement.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SpelledBackwards posted:

And make sure you don't have any optional services like overdraft protection which would autodraft from your savings to fund a large debit/check transaction intended to clear you out. I guess ideally it would be best to maintain that savings account in a separate bank or credit union where you don't even have a checking account, but I probably wouldn't go through the hassle.

All overdraft is optional now. It can be turned off even on your checking account (was the result of a law that I forget the name of at the moment).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
That's a type of "Overdraft Protection" just like geting an Overdraft Line of Credit instead is also a type of Overdraft Protection.

The optional Overdraft Protection that was actually turned into being opt-in is when an item is recieved that overdrafts the account, it no longer will be automatically paid from that account at all, and will actually be returned.

This used to be turned on by default and what constitutes most people understanding of what happens during an overdraft.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Cicero posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here because it seems like everyone is always about Roth IRAs.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that the tax rate right now is the lowest it's basically been in history and people are banking on the fact that in 20-40 years from now there is no way it will be this low. Now some people have taken that to insane extremes and you get a sort of echo chamber when really the best solution is to work out the math yourself and see what will be the best for you individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Inverse Icarus posted:

My wife and I have only started thinking frugally with a mind towards early retirement in the past six months, but I'm pretty proud of this.

LOL, mine is always like "You are the absolute worst, what the gently caress is wrong with you" showing a huge tile of color vs. a pixel of my neighbors.