Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Screw early retirement, how about instant retirement?

I have enough savings right now that if I live as frugal as possible, I could sit on my rear end for about 5 years. But apparently early retirees don't actually do this -- instead I'll spend those 5 years trying to find jobs that I want to do, to the extent I want to do them. So long as my income from these ventures exceeds my expenses, based on definitions posted so far, I am thus retired at 28!

edit: MMM himself addresses this viewpoint in this post, basically saying the definition of retirement is loose

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Cicero posted:

Seriously though, it does bug me that I can only spend an hour or so (and that can be optimistic) every day directly interacting with my son, because, well, other stuff has to get done. I'd kill for a few more hours each day of that time.

If that's your goal, have you put any effort into getting a better job (e.g. same salary, less hours or more salary, same hours)? Rather than cutting back on everything in the hopes that frugal living will one day pay off.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I had a longer post typed up but I guess it boils down to a single question: how do you reconcile living life to its fullest with frugality?

I feel like a lot of the great experiences in my life thus far, and most of those I have planned, require a lot of money and... there aren't any substitutes. I fully agree that consumer culture buying new iPads/whatever is really dumb, and I shy away myself, however doing something awesome like visiting Antarctica is often expensive. Where do you draw the line?

Also, assuming I'll live to 45/65/85 or whatever seems sort of dangerous. Am I the only one that sometimes feels like I'll drop dead at 35?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 19, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

That's exactly what I'm talking about. A trip to Europe with your family will cost like a quarter of your annual budget. I agree there's plenty of down time, but how does <$2k per month for a family of 3-4 provide "flexibility??"

edit: I understand there's plenty of people making do with families and lower salaries, but this thread is basically about rich people so we'll ignore the poors