Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Goons literally giving their money away ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 18, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Cicero posted:

the recent trend of overexaggerating frugality oneupsmanship

I have been thinking about making a thread just for this kind of bragging. If it didn't overlap with this thread so much it would have been:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Frugalier Than Thou: The Martyrs of Money Megathread
ex:
I do dishes by hand to save on the utilities even though our rates are quite cheap. Vegetarian rice/stir fry leftovers are delicious.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 8, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

fruition posted:

Kind of a derail but where are you meeting all these "poor people" who vote to lower taxes? In my experience the people voting to lower taxes are business owners, middle and upper-middle class...you know, the people actually affected by paying taxes, people who could retire earlier and reach FI faster if it weren't for the burden of 1/3 of their gross income being pissed away.

The loving South. As soon as they hit $15/hr those racist pricks can't slam the door behind them fast enough.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Or scrambling to keep their position in the workplace making life hell for every level workers.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
How many jobs did you create?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
So...twins are better at FI?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The emergency could be literally anything, or a combination of things, and unemployment doesn't pay out if they fire you for cause.

It doesn't have to involve loss of job either. Imagine your apartment burns down and you break your wrist jumping out the window. Insurance might pay out at some point but $15,000 would be really nice to have in the bank right then.

In the end it's up to your tolerance for risk. $6000 is pretty low though.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
For real though I would love to buy a share in a letter of marque. One fat merchantman and I'd be FI for life.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you can get past the Jesus and politics, Dave Ramsey is basically BWM stories: the podcast. It kept me on the straight and narrow while I was paying down student loans.

I like NPR's Planet Money too, even though it has zero impact on one's day to day.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You could...budget for a new bedroom set? Just add a few hundred every month and it will be your xmas gift to yourselves.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ignore the guest room, use the AC until it breaks, and throw down $10 worth of grass seed.

Also, cancel your cable so you can't watch HGTV anymore.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Dude should mic drop and walk out tomorrow. Take the kids to the go kart track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Do you want to buy a new house?